Large barite crystals
By Miguel A Heredia
During the nine week of the year (March 11th to March 17th, 2019), at least 33 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with eight announcing financial rounds, seven communicating financial and production results, six informing on exploration results, six disclosing deals and corporate issues, four reporting on resources and development of their properties, and 2 discussing Mexican news. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Compañía Minera Cuzcatlán recognized the contribution of women in mining and declared it is committed to continue promoting its inclusion. Ternium re-activated the ore transport from its Aquila mine in Michoacan after the highway was blocked by an indigenous community for 16 days. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Aztec Minerals reported positive metallurgical results from its Cervantes project. In Chihuahua, Sable released drilling results from its Margarita project. In Coahuila, Prize Mining announced plans for the next phase of exploration at its Manto Negro project. In Sinaloa, e-Power staked three new mining claims. In Zacatecas, Excellon reported drilling results from its Evolution project. ON MINING, Alio, Consolidated Zinc, Fortuna, Impact, Leagold and Starcore presented production results from their Mexican mining operations for the periods Q4 and full year 2018. ON FINANCING, Aura announced that is undertaking a non-brokered private placement to raise up to $0.5M (East Taviche project, Oaxaca). Defiance closed the first tranche of its non-brokered private placement for $1,229,500. Mexican Gold closed the final tranche of its non-brokered private placement for $2,143,000 (Las Minas project, Veracruz). McEwen announced its voluntary termination of the equity distribution agreement to offer shares from its common stock. Vangold has arranged a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to $0.5M, and announced a shares consolidation plan (Pinguino project, Guanajuato). Xtierra announced its intention to raise up to $1M by way of a non-brokered private placement (Bilbao project, Zacatecas). Sierra Metals closed a senior secured corporate credit for up to US$100M (Cusi mine, Chihuahua). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, SilverCrest updated mineral resource estimate for its Las Chispas project in Sonora, effective February 8, 2019. Orla Mining reported that it is advancing its Camino Rojo Oxide project in Zacatecas towards a construction decision. Leagold announced a mine expansion FS for its Los Filos mine in Guerrero. Telson released significant assay results from underground development at its Tahuehueto mine in Durango. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Aura appointed new CEO, entered in a definitive agreement with Minaurum on its East Taviche project in Oaxaca, and the shareholders approved the change of name to Aura Resources Inc. Coeur appointed former Nevada Governor to its Board of Directors (Palmarejo mine, Chihuahua). Mako Mining announced the resignation of its CEO and the appointment of its interim replacement (La Trinidad mine, Sinaloa). Tamino announced that it has retained the services of an experienced consultant geologist (El Volcan project, Sonora). Goldcorp announced fully support for the Nevada JV between Barrick and Newmont. Southern Copper showed interest to invest in a lithium project in Sonora.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Minera Cuzcatlán S.A. de C.V., the Mexican subsidiary of Fortuna Silver Mines Inc., recognized the contribution of women in mining and declared it is committed to continue promoting its inclusion.
- Ternium, re-activated the ore transport from its Aquila mine in Michoacan after a group of indigenous people from the community of Santa Maria Ostula blocked the Mexican Federal Highway # 200 for 16 days.
- Aztec Minerals Corp., and Kootenay Silver Inc., announced positive bottle roll gold metallurgical results from its Cervantes project in Sonora. Drill core samples were grouped into 4 separate types of mineralization: oxide 1, oxide 2, mixed oxide/sulphide, and sulphide, showing metallurgical recoveries of 85.1%, 87.7%, 77.9%, and 51.2% respectively on 2mm material, and 94.3%, 94.2%, 89%, and 78.5% on 75 micron material.
- Sable Resources, released drilling results from holes M-DDH-19-18 and M-DDH-19-19 from its Margarita project in Chihuahua. Hole M-DDH-19-18 intersected 71 g/t Ag and 0.13% Zn (80 g/t AgEq) over 30.8m, including 174 g/t Ag and 0.15% Zn (186 g/t AgEq) over 3.7m, and 171 g/t Ag, 0.4% Pb, and 0.12% Zn (199 g/t AgEq) over 1.55m, while hole M-DDH-19-19 intersected 24 g/t Ag, 0.08% Pb, and 0.3% Zn (44 g/t AgEq) over 55m, including 94 g/t Ag, 0.3% Pb, and 2.4% Zn (238 g/t AgEq) over 2.05m. “The mineralized Margarita structure can now be traced continuously with drillholes for 1,400m along strike including a central core of high-grade veins and silicified fault zones surrounded by a wide, close to surface, low-grade Ag halo, hosted by silicified and fractured volcanic rocks.”
- Prize Mining Corporation, announced plans for the next phase of exploration at its Manto Negro project in Coahuila “to further define the scale, grade, and potential of this district scale property”. The plan is to locate structural and geological traps where there is increase thickness in mineralization to test them with a 3,000 to 5,000 m core drilling program. “Following positive results, metallurgical testing will be completed as well as 3D interpretation on key areas”.
- e-Power Metals, staked three new mining claims totaling 4,400 ha, located south of the Company´s high grade Magenta Au-Ag-Co project, where historical sampling on veins and skarn style deposits at the La Prieta old showings have returned results of 180.4 g/t Au, 202 g/t Ag, and 5.54% Co over 0.61m in Zone # 1; 194 g/t Au, 203 g/t Ag, and 8.14% Co from an adit dump; and 8.1 g/t Au, 53 g/t Ag, and 3.27% Co over 0.5m in Zone #2.
- Excellon Resources Inc., reported first drilling results since 2010 from its Evolution property in Zacatecas. Significant drilling results are in hole EX18MAZ-251 with 22 g/t Ag, 0.4% Pb, 1% Zn, and 0.1 g/t Au (101 g/t AgEq) over 154m, including 188 g/t Ag, 4.4% Pb, 2.9% Zn, and 0.1 g/t Au (532 g/t AgEq) over 2.4m, and 48 g/t Ag, 0.7% Pb, 2.8% Zn, and 0.1 g/t Au (238 g/t AgEq) over 7m; hole EX18MAZ-253 with 14 g/t Ag, 0.3% Pb, 0.7% Zn, and 0.1 g/t Au (70 g/t AgEq) over 219m, including 70 g/t Ag, 1.3% Pb, 2.2% Zn, and 0.4 g/t Au (274 g/t Ag) over 12.6m; hole EX18MAZ-257 with 175 g/t Ag, 4.3% Pb, 5.4% Zn, and 0.4 g/t Au (663 g/t AgEq) over 3.4m; and hole EX18MAZ-258 with 64 g/t Ag, 1.4% Pb, 2.2% Zn, and 0.3 g/t Au (259 g/t AgEq) over 24.9m.
- Alio Gold Inc., presented Q4 and full year 2018 production results from its San Francisco mine in Sonora. Alio produced 10.3K Oz Au and 4.2KOz Ag in Q4 2018 at AISC of $1,558 per Oz Au produced. Alio produced 54K Oz Au and 24.8K Oz Ag in 2018 at AISC of $1,258 per Oz.
- Consolidated Zinc Limited, provided February 2019 production results from its Plomosas mine in Chihuahua. It reported 4,158 tonnes processed with Zn recoveries of 89% to Zn concentrates. Consolidated Zinc mined 3,873 tonnes of 9.6% Zn and 2.7% Pb to produce 815.4K Lb Zn and 235.2K Lb Pb.
- Fortuna Silver Mines Inc., released Q4 and full year 2018 financial and production results from its San Jose mine in Oaxaca. It reported Q4 sales of $59.6M, net income of $2.2M, adjusted net income of $4.4M, and adjusted EDITDA of $22.7M. For the full year 2018 Fortuna reported sales of $263.3M, net income of $34M, adjusted net income of $38.4M, and adjusted EBITDA of $113.9M. The company milled 256,181 tonnes of 1.58 g/t Au and 230 g/t Ag to produce 11.8K Oz Au and 1.72M Oz Ag with metallurgical recoveries of 91% for both metals. Fortuna also reported an AISC of $7.1 for Oz Ag or $9.9 for Oz AgEq.
- Impact Silver Corp., announced its financial and operating results for Q4, 2018. It reported $13.1M in revenues for 2018. Impact milled 173,217 tonnes of 170 g/t Ag to produce about 947K Oz Ag.
- Leagold Mining Corporation, presented financial and production results from its Los Filos mine in Guerrero for the period Q4 and full year 2018. It reported revenues of $376.5M, and an adjusted EBIDTA of $89.5M for the full year 2018.Leagold produced 58,201 Oz Au in Q4 and 195,362 Oz Au for the full year 2018 at an AISC of $985 per Oz Au sold.
- Starcore International Mines Ltd., announced financial and production results from its san Martin mine in Queretaro for the Q3 period ended January 31, 2019. It reported revenues of $6.6M and an EBIDTA of $335M for the nine months ended January 31, 2019. Starcore milled 71,100 tonnes of 1.8 g/t Au and 33 g/t Ag to produced 3.4K Oz Au and 46.2K Oz Ag (4K Oz AuEq).
- Aura Minerals Inc., announced that is undertaking a non-brokered private placement to raise up to $0.5M.
- Defiance Silver Corp., closed the first tranche of its non-brokered private placement for $1,229,500. The first tranche is part of the non-brokered private placement for total gross proceeds of $4M (San Acacio, Zacatecas).
- Mexican Gold Corp., closed the final tranche of its non-brokered private placement for $2,143,000. Gross proceeds will be used on its Las Minas project in Veracruz.
- McEwen Mining Inc., announced its voluntary termination of the equity distribution agreement on March 13, 2019 to offer shares from its common stock from time to time for up to $90M (Fenix project, Sinaloa).
- Vangold Mining Corp., has arranged a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to 0.5M. It also announced a consolidation of their shares in which the company will trade 2 old shares for 1 new share (Pinguino project, Guanajuato).
- XTierra Inc., announced its intention to raise from a non-brokered private placement up to $1M. (Bilbao project, Zacatecas).
- Sierra Metals Inc., closed a six year senior secured a corporate credit facility for up to US$100M effective on March 08, 2019 (Cusi mine, Chihuahua).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., updated mineral resource estimate for its Las Chispas project in Sonora, effective February 8, 2019. The infill drilling program at Las Chispas has delineated an initial indicated mineral resource estimate of 1M tonnes of 6.98 g/t Au and 711 g/t Ag (1,234 g/t AgEq), containing 39.8M Oz AgEq. Inferred mineral resource are estimated at 3.6M tonnes of 3.32 g/t Au and 332 g/t Ag (581 g/t AgEq), containing 68.1M Oz AgEq.
- Orla Mining Ltd., filed a PEA amended technical report on its Camino Rojo project in Zacatecas. “The PEA supports a technically simple open-pit mine and heap-leach operation that offers low capital and operating costs, rapid payback, and strong financial performance. The PEA is based on near-surface oxide and partly oxidized (transitional) material within the overall resource, all located within Orla’s mineral concessions”. Highlights of the PEA are a pre-tax NPV (5%) of USD$231 and an IRR of 38.1% or after-tax NVP (5%) of USD$121M and an IRR of 24.5%; production rate per day of 18K tonnes; total material to leach pad of 42.5M with grades of 0.71 g/t Au and 13.6 g/t Ag (966K Oz Au and 18.5M Oz Ag contained) with metallurgical recoveries of 67% and 15% respectively; and an annual gold production of 97.5K Oz Au. It also reported that it is advancing its project towards a construction decision later this year and ensuring the company remains on track with the development of its first mine. Orla is also advancing the feasibility study on its Camino Rojo project which is expected to be completed by the end of Q3, 2019. Construction is expected to start during H2, 2020 following receipts of all necessary permits.
- Leagold Mining Inc., announced a mine expansion FS in March 2019 which incorporates “the potential for developing the Bermejal underground mine, enlarging the Los Filos open pit mine, re-phasing the Bermejal open pit into two distinct sections (Bermejal and Guadalupe), and building a 4,000 tonne per day (tpd) carbon-in-leach (CIL) plant to complement the existing heap leach facilities”.
- Telson Mining Corporation, released significant assay results from underground development on the Creston Zone at its Tahuehueto mine in Durango. Significant channel sampling results are 8.48 g/t Au, 104 g/t Ag, 0.85% Cu, 5.8% Pb and 11% Zn (20.9 g/t AuEq) over 4.95m; 5.66 g/t Au, 62 g/t Ag, 0.26% Cu, 3.6% Pb, and 7.4% Zn (13.24 g/t AuEq) over 3m; 8.89 g/t Au, 88 g/t Ag, 0.34% Cu, 2.3% Pb, and 6.3% Zn (15.54 g/t AuEq) over 3m; 11.87 g/t Au, 78 g/t Ag, 0.54% Cu, 2.7% Pb, and 4% Zn (17.59 g/t AuEq) over 3.35m; and 8.12 g/t Au, 134 g/t Ag, 0.44% Cu, 2.4% Pb, and 4% Zn (14.13 g/t AuEq) over 3.25m.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Aura Resources Inc., appointed new CEO and made changes of its Board of Directors. The company also entered in a definitive agreement with Minaurum Gold Inc., in which Minaurum can acquire an 80% interest on its East Taviche project in Oaxaca.
- Coeur Mining Inc., appointed former Nevada Governor to its Board of Directors.
- Mako Mining Corp., announced the resignation of its CEO and the appointment of its interim replacement (La Trinidad mine, Sinaloa).
- Tamino Minerals Inc., retained the services of an experienced geological consultant to assist them to achieve its goals within its mining exploration projects in order to meet corporate milestones (El Volcan project, Sonora).
- Goldcorp Inc., announced fully support for the Nevada JV between Barrick Gold Corporation and Newmont Mining Corporation.
- Southern Copper Corp., showed interest to invest in a Canadian owned lithium project in Sonora, on which a Chinese company seems to be also interested. Southern Copper has not made an offer yet and did not reveal the name of the lithium project.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, large barite crystals and manganese oxides in a low-intermediate sulphidation epithermal system in Chihuahua, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.