Flow banding rhyolite
By Miguel A Heredia
During the seventeen week of the year (May 06th to May 12th, 2019), at least 41 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with fourteen communicating financial and production results, ten disclosing deals and corporate issues, seven reporting on resources and development of their properties, five informing on exploration results, three discussing Mexican news, and two announcing financing rounds. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Mining Chamber of Mexico (CAMIMEX) demanded the authorities to act in the illegal blockade at the Peñasquito mine by a transport company called CAVA. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Aloro announced that it will resume drilling at its Venados project, Azure released drilling results from its Alacran project, and Colibri received historical assays from Santa Catalina Mining’s Pilar Exploration. In Chihuahua, Silver Spruce and Radius Gold announced exploration results from its Pino de Plata and Amalia projects respectively. ON MINING, Alio, Avino, Endeavour, Excellon, First Majestic, GoGold, Gold Resource, Hecla, Leagold, Pan American, Premier, Santa Cruz, Torex, and US Antimony presented Q1 2019 production and financial results from their Mexican operations. Endeavour also released its 2018 annual review and sustainability report. ON FINANCING, Defiance closed the final tranche of its previously announced private placement in the amount of $280,230 (San Acacio project, Zacatecas). Megastar closed a non-brokered private placement in the amount of $672,600 (Yautepec, Magdalena, and Rama de Oro projects, Oaxaca). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Southern Silver updated mineral resources at its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango. Azure increased mineral resources at its Oposura project in Sonora. Hecla reported positive exploration results from its San Sebastian mine in Durango. Mexus Gold started blast hole drilling at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora to initiate ore production. Premier announced high grade intersects from the underground drilling program carried out at the Marianas zone within its Mercedes mine in Sonora. US Antimony reported a doubling of its Mexican smelting. Goldplay released exploration results from its San Marcial project in Sinaloa. Endeavour filed an updated technical report for its Terrroneras project in Jalisco with mineral resource and reserve estimate. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Alamos Gold (Mulatos mine, Sonora), Argonaut (El Castillo mine, Durango), Endeavour (Guanacevi mine, Durango), and Leagold (Los Filos mine, Guerrero) announced results from their annual general meeting of shareholders. Oroco confirmed favourable court decision on the Santo Tomas concession in Sinaloa. Defiance appointed new Director and Executive Chairman (San Acacio project, Zacatecas). Sable announced that the TSX accepted for filing the documentation of its option agreement on the Margarita project in Chihuahua with Minas Guilloyna and Minera La Perla.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Mining Chamber of Mexico (CAMIMEX), demanded the authorities to act in the conflict between Peñasquito and a transport company called CAVA. The company declared that the illegal blockade which started more than a month ago, harms entire families and the productive chains of the region. CAMIMEX also stated that is essential that mining companies in the country can work without being subject to illegal pressures and, like any industry that develops in the country, their demands are met promptly through legal channels and attached to the rule of law. The company initiated the suspension of payments to employees and unionized workers, contractors, suppliers and communities. However, the company is willing to help unlock this situation that affects 20 thousand people who work directly or indirectly for the mine.
- Mexico mining exploration, registered its lowest investment in 12 years. The mining exploration investment in Mexico during 2018 reached USD $383M, which represented a year-on-year decrease of 37.4% and its weakest level in the last 12 years, according to data from the Mining Chamber of Mexico (CAMIMEX).
- Aloro Mining Corp., announced that soon it will resume drilling at its Los Venados project in Sonora. The drilling plan will consist of 1,200m in four holes and will be focused on the blind target discovered by hole LVRC-012 which intersected 32m of blind strong silicic alteration containing 1.72 g/t Au over 4.57m, interpreted as the margin of a concealed felsic dome.
- Azure Minerals Limited, released drilling results from its Alacran project in Sonora, where its JV partner Minera Teck completed 21 holes phase 2 diamond drilling campaign for 10, 540m. 16 of the drill holes targeted porphyry-style copper mineralization at Cerro Alacrán prospect, while the remaining 5 holes targeted epithermal-style precious metal mineralization at Cerro San Simon and Cerro Colorado areas. This phase of drilling confirmed the existence of porphyry copper mineralization with broad zones of visible chalcopyrite intersected. Significant drill intersections include hole ALA-18-001 with 0.17% Cu over 118m; hole ALA18-003 with 0.25% over 131.7m; hole ALA-18-011 with 0.19% Cu over 137m; and hole ALA-18-014 with 0.21% over 177.3m.
- Colibri Resource Corporation, purchased historical assays results for 8,000 samples collected on the Pilar Gold project in Sonora by Santa Catalina Mining in the 90´s. Highlights include a series of 11 consecutive assays reporting 285.12 g/t Au, 45.53 g/t Au, 195.5 g/t Au, and 51.91 g/t Au which have been interpreted to correspond with hole S-10. This hole intersected 54.47 g/t Au over 16.5m, and is located in the North Hill Zone; a series of 9 consecutive assays including an intersection of 80.3 g/t Au, interpreted to correspond with hole Q-8b. This hole intersected 9.64 g/t Au over 13.5m; and another series of 6 consecutive assays including 0.54 g/t Au, 8.52 g/t Au, 20.66 g/t Au, 16.23 g/t Au, and 6.97 g/t Au, interpreted to correspond with hole P-9b located in the Main Zone, which encountered 10.16 g/t Au over 9m.
- Silver Spruce Resources inc., completed field work at its Pino de Plata project in Chihuahua. The field program expanded areas of intrusive-related alteration and mineralization to > 50 hectares; confirmed that high silver grades are present on surface at El Terrero and Gossan areas; added three new vein targets at La Perla, Santa Clara and El Muro vein systems; and refined drill collar locations and orientations to optimize targeting. The company announced that eight targets were identified for drill testing: “gossans in the Gossan zone, skarn/replacements at Santa Elena, the Terrero mine target, the La Perla vein and associated alteration zone, the Santa Clara vein, the Theodora vein, the Sierpe veins and associated alteration, and the newly defined Muro vein.” The company holds a drill permit for 30 holes but only plans to drill 12 holes for an estimated of 2,000m during the phase 1.
- Radius Gold Inc., provided an update of its ongoing drilling program at its Amelia project in Chihuahua. Radius has completed three drill holes proximal to hole AMDD19-010 which encountered 12.38 g/t Au and 309 g/t Ag over 34m of true width. Hole AMDD19-011 intersected 97m of “varying intensity quartz veins, stockwork veining and diorite dykes”; hole AMDD19-012 intersected a zone of 53m of “alteration including variable stockworks, silicification and hydrothermal breccias”; and hole AMDD19-013 intersected 17m of “moderate to strong silicification, tectonic breccia with micro vein stockworks and traces of fine sulphides”. Assays for these holes are pending.
- Alio Gold Inc., announced Q1 2019 financial and production results from its San Francisco mine in Sonora. Alio produced 10,968 Oz Au and 6,274 Oz Ag. It is less compared with Q1 2018. The by-product cash cost and AISC in Q1 2019 was $884 and $1,137 per Oz. The reason of the lower production at San Francisco mine is due to the decision to stop active mining in the San Francisco pit and focus on continuing leaching and processing the low grade stockpile.
- Avino Silver & Gold Mines Ltd., reported Q1, 2019 production and financial results from its Avino mine in Durango. The company milled 197,687 tonnes to produce 268.4K Oz Ag, 1,813 Oz Au and 1.1M Lb Cu (over 615K Oz AgEq) with a cash-cost and AISC of USD $11.44 and USD $13.81 per Oz AuEq produced. Avino reported revenues for USD $6.7M, an EBIDTA of USD $49M, and a net income (loss) of USD $610M.
- Endeavour Silver Corp., announced Q1 2019 production and financial results from its four Mexican operations: Bolañitos and El Cubo mines in Guanajuato, Guanacevi in Durango, and El Compas in Zacatecas. It produced 1.07M Oz Ag, 10K Oz Au (or1.9M Oz AgEq), with a cash cost and AISC of $12.55 and $19.37 per Oz Ag payable (net of Au credits). It also presented its 2018 annual review and sustainability report. 2018 Sustainability highlights include the investment of $400K in corporate charitable donations, focused on education, employment, health, infrastructure, and cultural events in Mexico and Canada; plantation of 53,000 trees in reforestation projects to reclaim disturbed ground; and the recycle of over 93% of water used; the investment of $1.7M in environmental protection programs. The company also reported that 99% of its workforce is Mexicans, spending $42M in employee wages and benefits; spent $181.1M on goods and services, 97% of total procurement is from within Mexico; and paid $10.2M in taxes.
- Excellon Resources Inc., released Q1 2019 production and financial results from its la Platosa mine in Durango. The company processed 18,219 tonnes of 534 g/t Ag, 5% Zn, and 8% Pb to produce 260.4K Oz Ag, 1.37M Lb Zn, and 2.2M Lb Pb, with metallurgical recoveries of 89.7%, 74.6%, and 78.1% respectively. Cash cost and AISC were USD $11.71 and USD $25.35 respectively. The company reported revenues for USD $5.2M and a net loss of USD $602K.
- First Majestic Silver Corp., presented Q1 2019 production and financial results from their Mexican operations. The company milled 812,654 tonnes to produce 3.3M Oz Ag or 6.3M Oz AgEq, with a cash cost and AISC of $6.34 and $12.91 per Oz Ag payable, and reported revenues for $86.8M, and net earnings of $2.9M. A distribution by mine is shown in the table below:
- GoGold Resources Inc., announced Q1 2019 production and financial results from its Parral tailings project in Chihuahua. It stacked 478,874 tonnes to produce 414.2K Oz AgEq, with cash cost of USD $13.61 and an AISC of USD $13.61 per Oz AgEq produced. GoGold reported revenues for USD $7.03M, an EBIDTA of USD $1.86M, and a net loss income of USD $2,44M.
- Gold Resource Corporation, released Q1 2019 production and financial results from their mine operations in Oaxaca. The company processed 165,638 tonnes of 1.26 g/t Au and 226 g/t Ag to produce 6,538 Oz Au and 364.6K Oz Ag. Cash cost and AISC of USD $340 and USD $834 per Oz AuEq produced respectively. Gold Resource reported revenues for USD $26.57M, and net income of USD $0.88M.
- Hecla Mining Company, reported Q1 2019 production and financial results from its San Sebastian mine in Durango. The mill operated at an average of 494 tonnes per day to produce 441K Oz Ag and 3,530 Oz Au, at a cash cost and AISC of $11.23 and $16.55 per Oz Ag produced respectively.
- Leagold Mining Corporation, announced Q1 2019 production and financial results from its Los Filos mine in Guerrero. The company produced 64K Oz Au at an AISC of USD $797 per Oz Au sold. Los Filos underground is now producing at over 1,900 tonnes per day with cost below USD $80 per tonne of ore.
- Pan American Silver Corporation, presented Q1 2019 production and financial results from their Mexican operations. At its La Colorada mine in Zacatecas, the company produced 2M Oz Ag and 1K Oz Au at cash cost of USD $2.16 per Oz Ag produced and an AISC of USD $3.37 per Oz Ag produced. At its Dolores mine in Chihuahua, the company produced 1.1M Oz Ag and 30K Oz Au at cash cost of USD $3.34 and AISC of USD $26.45.
- Premier Gold Mines Limited, reported Q1 2018 production and financial results from its Mercedes mine in Sonora. It milled 178,771 tonnes of 3.18 g/t Au and 27 g/t Ag to produce 17.6K Oz Au and 57.7K Oz Ag at a cash and IASC of USD $806 and $1,105 per Oz Au sold respectively. Premier reported revenues for USD $23.1M and mine operating income of USD $3.7M.
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd., announced Q1 2019 production and financial results from their Mexican operations. At its Veta Grande mine in Zacatecas, the company processed 32,625 tonnes of 119 g/t Ag, 0.19 g/t Au, 0.8% Pb, and 1.9% Zn, to produce 79.6K Oz Ag, 97 Oz Au, 488.3K Lb Pb, and 1.1M Lb Zn. At its Rosario mine in San Luis Potosi, the company milled 10,279 tonnes of 47 g/t Ag, 0.3% Pb, and 2.1% Zn to produce 14K Oz Ag, 61 Oz Au, 60.5K Lb Pb, and 407.7K Lb Zn.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc., presented Q1 2019 production and financial results from its El Limon-Guajes Mining Complex in Guerrero. Torex produced 77.8K Oz Au at an average grade of 2.45 g/t Au. Cash cost and AISC per Oz Au sold were USD $745 and USD $1,161 respectively. It reported revenues for USD $101.9M and earnings from mine operation of USD $16.8M.
- US Antimony, produced during Q1 2019 approximately 69,000 Lb per month from its Mexican operations (Wadley mine in San Luis Potosi and Guadalupe mine in Zacatecas).
- Defiance Silver Corp., closed the final tranche of its previously announced private placement in the amount of $280,230. In total, Defiance raised $2,567,620 in its private placement (San Acacio project, Zacatecas).
- Megastar Development Corp., closed a non-brokered private placement in the amount of $672,600. Gross proceeds of the financing will be used to advance exploration on multiple properties within the Oaxaca, Mexico Au-Ag belt as optioned from Minera Zalamera S.A. de C.V. (Yautepec, Magdalena and Rama de Oro projects, Oaxaca).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp., announced a new mineral resource estimate at its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango. Indicated resources are 11,102,000 tonnes of 105 g/t Ag, 0.16% Cu, 1.2% Pb, 3.7% Zn, and 0.1 g/t Au to contain 37.5M Oz Ag, 40M Lb Cu, 303M Lb Pb, 897M Lb Zn, and 35K Oz Au (133.9M Oz AgEq or 2B Lb ZnEq). Inferred resources are 12,844,000 tonnes of 111 g/t Ag, 0.27% Cu, 0.9% Pb, 2.8% Zn, and 0.07g/t Au to contain 45.7M Oz Ag, 76M Lb Cu, 253M Lb Pb, 796M Lb Zn, and 31K Oz Au (138.1M Oz AgEq or 2.04B Lb ZnEq).
- Azure Minerals Limited, expanded mineral resources at its Oposura project in Sonora. The new mineral resource estimate is based on 173 diamond holes totaling 11,109m drilled on phase 1 and 58 diamond holes totaling 4,567m drilled on phase 2. Indicated resources are 2.5M tonnes of 5.3% Zn, 2.9% Pb, and 19 g/t Ag, and inferred resources of 0.6M tonnes of 3.4% Zn, 2.1% Pb, and 15 g/t Ag. Total mineral resources are 3.1M tonnes at grades of 5% Zn, 2.7% Pb, and 18 g/t Ag containing 342.7M Lb Zn, 188.2M Lb Pb, and 1.78M Oz Ag. In addition, reconnaissance drilling in the Central Zone has encountered near-surface, high-grade mineralization. Drilling highlights include hole OPDH-173 which intersected 7.7% combined Zn+Pb over 12m, including 12.5% combined Zn+Pb over 4.1m, and hole OPDH-178 with 18.9% combined Zn+Pb over 9.5m, including 26.6% combined Zn+Pb over 6.2m. Azure is planning additional drilling to further increase mineral resources in the Central Zone, to the north of the deposit and within the wider property.
- Hecla Mining Company, reported positive exploration results from its San Sebastian mine in Durango. The company obtained encouraging drill results at the Middle Vein area, including 6,422 g/t Ag and 24.57 g/t Au over 1.86m. This drilling phase has increased the oxide mine life through upgraded resource in the Middle Vein. In addition, Hecla defined near-surface mineralization at the new El Toro area over 1.5km along strike and from surface up to 150m at depth. Drilling highlights at El Toro area include 750 g/t Ag and 4.9 g/Au over 1.8m, and 666 g/t Ag and 10.9 g/t Au over 1.3m.
- Mexus Gold US, started blast hole drilling on the Julio vein system at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora to produce the ore necessary to initiate steady production. The material being drilled has been sampled and is averaging 4 g/t Au and 12 g/t Ag. “Mexus currently has over 12,000 tons of ore stockpiled and ready to mine which was a result of the preparation of the pit on the Julio vein”.
- Premier Gold Mines Limited, released high grade intersects from underground drilling carried out at the Marianas zone within its Mercedes mine in Sonora. Significant results were in hole UG-MR19-011 with 4.96 g/t Au and 71 g/t Ag over 31m, including 25.65 g/t Au and 171 g/t Ag over 3.1m, hole UG-MR-19-007 with 4.51 g/t Au and 64 g/t Ag over 20.5m, including 11.04 g/t Au and 94 g/t Ag over 3.8m, and hole UG-MR10-010 with 7.29 g/t Au and 8 g/t Ag over 3.5m. “The Marianas Zone comprises the down-plunge extension of the main Mercedes mine trend. Previous surface drilling suggests Marianas has the potential to host economic mineralization of higher than the current reserve grade. It is the Company’s goal to convert a portion of Marianas mineral resources to mineral reserves with a delineation drill program during the balance of 2019. Ore development could commence in 2020”.
- US Antimony, reported a doubling of its Madero, Coahuila Mexican smelter capacity with the startup of No.2 long rotary furnace. This is expected to double Mexican production by the end of Q2 due to the increased output of its Wadley mine in San Luis Potosi and its Guadalupe mine in Zacatecas.
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd., released trenching results from the Nava Zone located 1.5 km to the west of its San Marcial NI 43-101 silver resource, supporting an attractive mineralized corridor for discoveries and potential resource expansion. Wide zones of up to 1.5 g/t Au were encountered during the trenching sampling. Significant results include 0.7 g/t Au over 40m, including 1.9 g/t Au over 6m.
- Endeavour Silver Corp., filed an updated technical report for its two deposits at the Terroneras project in Jalisco with mineral resource and reserve estimate. Indicated resources at Terroneras are 5,275,000 tonnes of 227 g/t Ag and 2.35 g/t Au to contain 38.5M Oz Ag and 398K Oz Au. Inferred resources are 1,022,000 tonnes of 212 g/t Ag and 1.7 g/t Au to contain 6.97M Oz Ag and 56K Oz Au. Indicated resources at La Luz are 126K tonnes of 192 g/t Ag and 13.6 g/t Au to contain 779K Oz Ag and 55K Oz Au. Inferred resources at La Luz are 58K tonnes of 145 g/t Ag and 12.15 g/t Au to contain 269K Oz Ag and 23K Oz Au. Probable combined mineral reserves of Terroneras and La Luz are 5,587,000 tonnes of 208 g/t Ag and 2.33 g/t Au to contain 37.44M Oz Ag and 419K Oz Au (mineral resources are inclusive of mineral reserves).
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Alamos Gold Inc., announced results from its annual general meeting of shareholders (Mulatos mine, Sonora), and the retirement of one of its Directors and the appointment of its replacement.
- Argonaut Gold Inc., released voting results from its annual general meeting of shareholders (El Castillo mine, Durango).
- Endeavour Silver Corp., announced results from its annual general meeting of shareholders, and the appointment of its newest Director (Guanacevi mine, Durango).
- Great Panther Mining Limited, announced the appointment of a new Director (Topia mine, Durango).
- Leagold Mining Corporation, presented voting results from its annual general meeting of shareholders (Los Filos mine, Guerrero).
- McEwen Mining Inc., announced two management changes: its new CFO and the General Manager for its Nevada operation (Fenix project, Sinaloa).
- Oroco Resource Corp., confirmed that a favourable court decision on the Santo Tomas concession has been received by its Mexican legal council. The company also announced that a criminal complaint against Aztec and its president Ron Arnold has been field with the Procuraduría General de Justicia de la Ciudad de Mexico (Santo Tomas project, Sinaloa).
- Defiance Silver Corp., appointed new Director and Executive Chairman (San Acacio project, Zacatecas).
- Sable Resources, announced that the TSX accepted the file documentation of its option agreement on the Margarita project in Chihuahua with Minas Guilloyna and Cia. Minera La Perla. Sable can earn 100% right, title, and interest in the Margarita project by satisfying the CAD $3.5M purchase price through the issuance of shares or cash or a combination of both over a three years period. To date, Sable has paid CAD $50K in cash and issued 200K shares (CAD $30K) to vendors during the execution of the agreement, issued 500K shares or cash equivalent (CAD $470K) on May 30, 2018), and has to issue CAD $500K worth of shares or cash equivalent on or before May 30, 2019, CAD $500K worth of shares or cash equivalent on or before November 30, 2019, and CAD $2M worth of cash or shares on or before May 30, 2020.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, flow banding rhyolites at a locality in Guanajuato, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.