During the 42nd week of the year (October 16th to October 22nd, 2017), at least 29 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, including eight quarterly reports. ON MEXICO ISSUES: No relevant news. ON EXPLORATION: Nine companies disclosed exploration efforts during the week: In Sonora, Alix Resources is doing metallurgical studies at its Agua Fria project; Teck is drilling the Alacrán project; Oceanus discovered several veins at its El Tigre property; Riverside presented an exploration update on its Tajitos and Cecilia projects; SilverCrest released drill results from the Babicanora vein on its Las Chispas property; VVC Exploration boasted on the size of the mineralized system at Cumeral; Azure Minerals started drilling its Oposura project. In Chihuahua, Harvest Gold presented results on a soil program completed on its Cerro Cascaron project. In Sinaloa, VVC Exploration describes two mineralized structures at its La Tuna property. In Veracruz, Mexican Gold completed a geophysical survey that highlighted several targets at its Las Minas project. ON MINING: Avino Silver, Premier Gold, Sierra Metals, Gold Resource, Excellon, Fortuna Silver, First Majestic and McEwen Mining reported preliminary third quarter results. Corex Gold shipped the first gold concentrate from its Santana property in Sonora. ON FINANCING: Excellon is to raise up to $11.5 M on a bought deal basis; Goldcorp exercised C$3.5 M on Alio Gold warrants; Alio gold exercised a buy-back clause to acquire 1% of NSR from Goldcorp; Silver One raised C$4.3 M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT: Leagold updated the resource estimate at the Bermejal Underground deposit on its Los Filos property in Guerrero; Mexican Gold presented drill results from its Las Minas property in Veracruz; Torex Gold commenced an in-fill drill program at its Media Luna project in Guerrero; Monarca Mining is reviewing the geological information and drill holes from its Tejamen property in Durango; Riverside is re-logging core from the Jesus Maria zone of its Peñoles project in Durango; Southern Silver presented an update on the exploration and resource definition at its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango; VVC Exploration is looking into bringing the Samalayuca copper property in Chihuahua to production; Bacanora Minerals received the environmental permit for plant construction on its Sonora lithium project. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES: Alix Resources informed that Lithium Australia NL holds now 54% of the Elektra project in Sonora. Goldcorp announced the completion of the sale of its 21% stake on San Nicolas (Zacatecas) to Teck.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- No Relevant News.
- Alix Resources Corp. completed recently a 2,500 m reverse circulation drill program at its Agua Fria project in Sonora. The program comprised 16 holes, returning 33 m @ 1,058 ppm Li; 48 m @ 1,031 ppm Li; 24 m @ 1,050 ppm Li. “A large sample is currently being composited for further metallurgical studies. “In addition to significant Li values, the clay horizons at Agua Fria are anomalous in potassium which may be recoverable as potassium sulphate…”
- Azure Minerals Ltd. informed that project operator Teck has commenced drilling on the Alacrán project in Sonora. During 2017 Teck has performed geological mapping, surface sampling and an induced polarization survey, identifying two high priority targets. The first target is the extension of the Loma Bonita Ag-Au deposit towards Cerro San Simon, with potential for epithermal mineralization. The second target is Cerro Colorado where strong chargeability and resistivity anomalies were identified under soil anomalies, pointing to a porphyry copper target. Three diamond rigs are to drill 5,000 m.
- Mexican gold Corp. completed 50 km of ground magnetic survey and 15 line km of “Moving Loop Time Domain Electromagnetic” (TDEM) on the El Dorado/Juan Bran, Cinco Señores and Las Minillas mineralized zones at its Las Minas property in Veracruz. The TDEM method was validated over known parts of the mineralized system, with multiple new targets emerging on the three zones.
- Oceanus Resources Corp. has discovered several new veins located approximately 150 m north and parallel to the Caleigh vein on its El Tigre project in Sonora. A drill rig is to arrive on the last week of October.
- Riverside Resources Inc. presented an update on its Cecilia, Tajitos and La Silla projects. At Cecilia in Sonora, the environmental permit has been received to drill test the upper portion of a dome-related epithermal system, with sampling returning 21% of 394 chip-channel samples greater than 0.3 g/t Au. At Tajitos, also in Sonora, a number of new targets have been identified after reviewing in detail the past exploration and drilling campaign. At La Silla in Sinaloa, Riverside continues to consolidate a strong land package and outlining multiple veins, with soil surveying, mapping, sampling, structural analysis, remote sensing and prospecting.
- Harvest Gold Corp. and Evrim Resources Corp. covered an area of 4.5 km by 1.6 km with a soil sampling program at its Cerro Cascaron project in Chihuahua. The soil survey included 877 Samples collected every 50 m on lines separated 200 m apart, oriented east-west. “Results have extended known veins, identified two new corridors and have highlighted a 1.4 kilometre-long, very strong gold-silver trend to the north of the ……. Serpiente Dorada vein”. The Carabina, San Pedro, and La Puerta areas show a “significant soil response in gold, silver and pathfinders along strike from known gold-silver mineralization and two additional areas between San Pedro and La Puerta, have significant pathfinder element responses”.
- VVC Exploration Corp. describes its Cumeral project in Sonora as boasting a gold mineralization zone that runs at least for 3.6 km. At La Tuna in Sinaloa, two mineralized structures are favorable for an open-pit gold/copper resource. A signed letter of intent (LOI) with a mining company is at the due diligence stage.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. released further results from the Phase II drill campaign at its Las Chispas property in Sonora. The Babicanora vein has been drill tested for over 600 m of strike length, with a near-surface mineralized height of 150 to 175 m. High-grade intercepts occur also on the Granaditas and Amatista veins on the Babicanora area. Results include 2.9 m (true width, or TW) @ 5.6 g/t Au, 173 g/t Ag; 3.0 m @ 4.3 g/t Au, 130 g/t Ag; 2.0 m @ 3.0 g/t Au, 78 g/t Ag; 4.0 m @ nil Au, 397 g/t Ag; 4.1 m @ 3.5 g/t Au, 137 g/t Ag; 1.7 m @ 3.6 g/t Au, 190 g/t Ag. The average of the high-grade zone in 20 holes of the Babicanora vein is 3.6 m @ 2.73 g/t Au, 263 g/t Ag. Approximately 5,000 m of drilling is planned for the remaining part of 2017.
- Azure Minerals Ltd. is drilling with two core rigs its Zn-Pb-Ag Oposura project in Sonora. The 120 hole program is to total 7,000 m, aiming to produce a mineral resource estimate by the end of March 2018.
- Avino Silver and Gold Mines Ltd. reported third quarter 2017 production results from its Avino property in Durango. At the Avino mine 119.3 K tonnes were mined, with 117.9 K tonnes milled @ 66 g/t Ag, 0.7 g/t Au, 0.48% Cu; recoveries stood at 85% Ag, 70% Au, 88% Cu to produce 213.8 K Oz Ag, 1,847 Oz Au, 1.1 M Lb Cu (501.8 ton). At the San Gonzalo vein 18.4 K tonnes were mined, 20.3 K tonnes milled @ 281 g/t Ag, 1.55 g/t Au; with recoveries of 85% Ag, 82% Au, producing 155.2 K Oz Ag, 826 Oz Au.
- Premier Gold Mines Ltd. announced preliminary third quarter results, including figures from its Mercedes mine in Sonora, where 18,564 Oz Au, 82,856 Oz Ag were produced.
- Gold Resource Corp. disclosed preliminary production results for the third quarter 2017 on its El Aguila property in Oaxaca. The company produced 6,465 Oz Au, 392.1 K Oz Ag, 291 tonnes Cu, 1,449 tonnes Pb, 4,628 tonnes Zn.
- Sierra Metals Inc. reported third quarter 2017 production results, including figures from its Cusi and Bolivar mines in Chihuahua. At Bolivar 223.3 K tons were processed @ 0.92% Cu, 14 g/t Ag, 0.14 g/t Au, achieving recoveries of 77.9% Cu, 74.5% Ag, 61.6% Au, to produce 3.52 M Lb Cu, 76 K Oz Ag, 629 Oz Au. At Cusi, 13.2 K tonnes were processed @ 154 g/t Ag, 0.26 g/t Au, 1.0% Pb, 1.1% Zn, with recoveries of 84.1% Ag, 55.7% Au, 83.5% Pb, 50.9% Zn, to produce 55 K Oz Ag, 61 Oz Au, 247 K Lb Pb, 160 K Lb Zn.
- Excellon Resources Inc. announced third quarter 2017 results from its Platosa mine in Durango, where 18.1 K tonnes were mined, and 19.9 K tonnes milled @ 409 g/t Ag, 4.4% Pb, 6.1% Zn. Recoveries stood at 87.6% Ag, 81.8% Pb, 81.1% Zn, to produce 226.2 K Oz Ag, 1.6 M Lb Pb, 2.2 M Lb Zn. “All-in sustaining cost decreased during the quarter to approximately $11-$13 per payable silver ounce…”.
- Fortuna Silver Mines, Inc. released third quarter 2017 production results, including figures from its San Jose mine in Oaxaca. At San Jose 263.7 K tonnes were milled at a rate of 3,038 tonnes per day (tpd), and an average grade of 229 g/t Ag, 1.71 g/t Au, with recovery rates of 90.5% Ag, 91.4% Au, to produce 1.77 M Oz Ag, 13,248 Oz Au. Mine production was sourced from Trinidad Central and Trinidad North.
- First Majestic Silver Corp. released production results for the third quarter 2017 from its six mines in Mexico: Santa Elena in Sonora, La Encantada in Coahuila, La Parrilla in Durango; Del Toro in Zacatecas, San Martin in Jalisco, and La Guitarra in Estado de Mexico. Total production from the six mines amounts almost four million silver equivalent ounces during the period.
- Corex Gold Corp. shipped the first gold–in-carbon concentrate from its Santana heap-leach project in Sonora. Corex has been conducting continuous bulk testing heap-leach activities on coarser crushed material than in the next anticipated program to be performed on finer crushed material.
McEwen Mining Inc. reported production results for the first quarter 2017, including figures from its operations at El Gallo in Sinaloa, where 7,213 AuEq ounces were produced. Production below expectations is the result of a serious mechanical failure that halted crushing for a period of time. Better grades and increased crushing rates in the rest of the year are expected to partially compensate for the shortfall.
- Excellon Resources Inc. entered into an agreement with a syndicate of underwriters to sell shares on a bought deal basis for gross proceeds of $10 M. If an over-allotment option is exercised in full, gross proceeds for the offering can reach $11.5 M. (Platosa, Durango).
- Alio gold Inc. announced that Goldcorp Inc. exercised its warrants that expire on October 19, 2017 for total proceeds of C$3.5 M. Alio Gold also exercised a buy-back right from Goldcorp of a 1% NSR on its Ana Paula project in Guerrero, for US$2.9 M. After the buy-back, the NSR held by Goldcorp on Ana Paula is now 2%. (San Francisco, Sonora).
- Silver One Resources Inc. closed an oversubscribed non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of C$4.3 M (Peñasco Quemado, Sonora).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Leagold Mining Corp. updated the Bermejal Underground mineral resource estimate at its Los Filos property in Guerrero. The updated resource includes 9.9 M tonnes @ 6.15 g/t Au, 22 g/t Ag in the measured and indicated category, and 4.7 M tonnes @ 5.36 g/t Au, 16 g/t Ag in the inferred bracket, containing 1.97 M Oz Au and 820 K Oz Au in each category respectively. The estimate includes data from form 505 drill holes totaling 195,261 m, with mineralization having been tested along 1,600 m along the strike of the intrusive contact, with a vertical depth extent of over 800 m. Drill hole spacing is roughly 35 m for indicated resources and less than 25 m for measured resources.
- Mexican Gold Corp. reported mineralized intercepts from its ongoing resource expansion drilling at El Dorado/Juan Bran zone at its Las Minas property in Veracruz. One hole intersected a 21 m interval of chalcopyrite, bornite and magnetite, and a second interval of 56 m of stronger mineralization. Both intervals have wide zones outside the outline of the mineral resource. One other hole intersected two intervals of 3 m and 8 m with chalcopyrite, bornite and magnetite.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. has initiated the in-fill drilling program at its Media Luna development project in Guerrero. The program’s purpose is to upgrade to the Indicated confidence level, 25% of the current resource (7.4 M Oz AuEq). The US$15 M program contains 175 holes averaging 600 m in depth, for a total of 105,000 m of drilling.
- Monarca Mining Inc. is currently re-analyzing geological information and the re-logging of historical drill results from its Tejamen property in Durango. Monarca has identified three high grade intercepts at the Los Mantos and Cerro Prieto portions of Tejamen, including an 80 m zone containing 417 g/t Ag. The feeder veins strike to the SW for approximately one km. Drilling reached only about 150 m of depth, and the core was not assayed for other metals.
- Riverside Resources Inc. informed that re-logging of 15 holes of the Jesus Maria zone at its Peñoles project in Durango resulted in the interpretation that at least one and possibly multiple high-grade vein structures remain untested for hundreds of meters along strike and down dip.
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp. presented an update on activities at its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango. During 2017 13,600 m were drilled in 18 holes, identifying and extending the new Skarn Front zone beneath the Blind and El Sol deposits. Exploration has been funded by Electrum Global Holdings L.P., earning a 60% stake on the project by spending US$5.0 M. A total of 107 drill holes for 49,600 m have been completed on the project, with exploration expenditures reaching US$10 M.
- VVC Exploration Corp. is looking to bring the Samalayuca copper project to production in 2018. A 2013 NI-43-101 resource estimate shows a resource of 4.1 M tonnes of ore. VVC plans to use low cost, low tech processing to produce copper cement that is directly usable in many industrial processes.
- Bacanora Minerals Ltd. announced the environmental impact statement (Manifestacion de Impacto Ambiental, or MIA) on its Sonora project has been approved by SEMARNAT (Environmental agency). The MIA approved is for the production of 35,000 tonnes per year of lithium carbonate through a conventional beneficiation process followed by a standard SO4 roasting process.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Alix Resources Corp. announced that Perth-based lithium processing technologist, Lithium Australia NL (LIT) is controlling now 54% of the Elektra lithium project in Sonora. LIT has the right to earn up to 65% interest on the project under the current JV agreement.
- Goldcorp Inc. announced the completion of the sale of its 21% minority interest in the San Nicolas Cu-Zn project in Zacatecas, to Teck Resources Ltd., for a cash consideration of US$50 M.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture below, sheeted quartz veins cutting an intrusive rock on a prospect of the Durango Altiplano. Photo by Jorge Cirett.