Vancouver, B.C. — Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd. (TSX.V:SCZ) (the “Company” or “Santacruz”) reports its operating results from the Zimapan Project in Zimapan Hidalgo, the Veta Grande Project in Zacatecas, and Rosario Project in Charcas, San Luis Potosi, all located in Mexico, for the fourth quarter (“Q4”) and year ended December 31, 2019 and provides an operations update.
By Jorge Cirett
During the 4th week of the year (January 20th to January 26th, 2020), at least 22 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Highlights on some advanced projects were shared, including Ermitaño, Santana, Media Luna and La Colorada skarn. A good week for Mexican mining companies on the Bolsa Mexicana de Valores (BMV), with share price increments for Grupo Mexico, Industrias Peñoles, Orbia (Mexichem) and Cemex. The president of Mexico stated no mining concessions for lithium have been granted under his term. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Riverside reported good surface sampling results from its El Cuarenta project; Minaurum completed the phase I drilling program at its Alamos Silver project, testing 19 of 25 identified vein systems; Mexus Gold is looking to JV its Mabel and Ures properties. In Zacatecas, Advance Gold released results from the first hole at a chargeability anomaly in its Tabasqueña project. In Hidalgo, Santacruz Mining staked the Lechuga property. ON MINING, Argonaut Gold, Coeur Mining, Gold Resource, Premier Gold, Sierra Metals, and First Majestic released production results for Q4 and full year 2019. ON FINANCING, Silver Spruce filed an amendment at the TSX regarding the Cocula project in Jalisco. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Minera Alamos announced construction is ongoing at its Santana project in Sonora. Argonaut Gold informed it is reviewing its option on the San Antonio project in Baja California Sur, whereas at Cerro del Gallo in Guanajuato the company is to produce a corrected bundle of documents to re-submit to the authorities for authorization. Silver Crest released high grade results from the Babi Sur vein at its Las Chispas property in Sonora. Impact Silver released good surface sampling results on two veins at an open pit at its Zacualpan property in Estado de Mexico. Mexus Gold started mining a new zone at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora. GoGold released results from nine more holes at its Los Ricos project in Jalisco. Mexican Gold released drilling results from its Las Minas project in Veracruz. Prime Mining announced surface results from road cuts and trenches from its Los Reyes project in Sinaloa. GR Silver Mining updated on its exploration results at its San Marcial project in Sinaloa. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Leagold was advised to vote favorably on a proposed merge with Equinox. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. The Mining Fund allocated the resources for rehabilitation of a sports field in Santa Barbara, Chihuahua. Esperanza Silver is to apply a new model of mining on the development of the Esperanza mine, in Morelos. Minera San Xavier formalized the transference of its silver’s jewelry shop to one of its employees in Cerro San Pedro, San Luis Potosi. The Guerrero government, the Municipality of Cocula and Torex Gold are to pave a road in Cocula.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Some new projects highlights: First Majestic initiated a 3,000 m development program designed to get the Ermitaño project in Sonora into production by early 2021. Ermitaño is 4 km from First Majestic’s Santa Elena mine. Minera Alamos has started construction of its Santana mine in Sonora, where it expects to start producing gold later in the year from heap leach operations. Torex Gold released a new resource estimation for its Media Luna project in Guerrero, with 12.6 M tonnes @ 5.55 gpt Au Eq containing 2.24 M Oz AuEq as indicated resources, and 33.5 M tonnes @ 4.23 gpt Au Eq containing 4.56 Oz AuEq as inferred resources. The capital needed to take this project into production is estimated at US496 M, to reach a yearly production of 170 K Oz Au, 1.7 M Oz Ag and 21 K tonnes Cu. The giant La Colorada skarn discovery by Pan American Silver in Zacatecas has an initial inferred resource base of 73.5 M tonnes containing 102 M Oz Ag, 3.2 M tonnes Zn, 1.5 M tonnes Pb and 121 K tonnes Cu. The project is to see 44,000 m of drilling during 2020, with a cost of US$7.5 M.
- Listed mining companies in the Mexican Stock Exchange (Bolsa Mexicana de Valores, or BMV) had a good week. Grupo Mexico was up 5.9%, Industrias Peñoles 1.9%, Orbia (Mexichem) 5.75% and Cemex 8.91%.
- The president of Mexico, Andrés Manuel López Obrador (also known as AMLO) assured this week that no concession has been delivered on his term for lithium exploitation. (In fact, the delivery of all mining concessions has been halted indefinitely by the actual government).
- Riverside Resources Inc. reported on surface sampling and field work at its El Cuarenta project in Sonora. Three prospective targets were identified: Santa Rosalía, Santa Rosalía Sur and El Sombrero, with sampling returning five samples of sixteen above 5 gpt Au, and a best result of 25.7 gpt Au. The Santa Rosalía target consists of multiple sub-parallel low sulfide quartz veins on a fault zone 1 Km long in volcanic rocks. At Santa Rosalía Sur there is an 800 m long structural zone in volcanic rocks with shallow dipping sheeted quartz veins showing banded quartz and lattice textures. El Sombrero displays extensive alteration and high temperature alteration minerals like dickite, pyrophyllite and kaolinite, as well as a highly silicified cap.
- Minaurum Gold Inc. completed its phase I drill program at the Alamos Silver project in Sonora, testing 19 of the 25 identified vein systems with 18,810 m in 40 holes.. Fourteen of the nineteen vein systems returned high-grade silver intercepts, on a 10 km long by 6 km wide corridor. Highlighted intervals from the last round of drilling comprise: 7.60 m @ 155 gpt Ag, including 2.15 m @ 470 gpt Ag; 0.20 m @ 367 gpt Ag, 6.75 gpt Au, 1.35% Cu, 0.59% Pb, 0.56% Zn at the Púlpito and Cotera veins. 6.60 m @ 1.94% Cu, 0.5% Pb, 1.5% Zn at the Alessandra vein. 1.1 m @ 729 gpt Ag, 1.73 gpt Au, 0.13% Cu, 3.0% Pb, 5.7% Zn at the Promontorio vein. 0.50 m @ 160 gpt Ag at La Dura vein. 1.05 m @ 245 gpt Ag, 0.74% Cu, 0.4% Pb, 0.7% Zn at Las Animas vein. And 7.35 m @ 47 gpt Ag on the Rosario vein. “Phase II is expected to commence in late-March and will include a minimum of 20,000 m of drilling”.
- Mexus Gold US. is to look for a JV on its Mabel and Ures properties in Sonora. The Mabel property has 611 holes in 6 drilling campaigns since 2002. In the Ures property the targets are a porphyry copper system and high grade silver.
- Advance Gold Corp. released drill results from one drill hole at its Tabasqueña project in Zacatecas. The first hole into a 1000 x 500 m chargeability anomaly returned 78 m of continuous zinc mineralization, including 1.10 m @ 1.88% Zn, 1.40% Pb, 77 gpt Ag, 0.20 gpt Au and 34 m @ 23 gpt Au, and 1.10 m @ 101 gpt Ag, 0.59% Pb, 0.74% Zn.
- Argonaut Gold Inc. released production results for 2019 and the fourth quarter 2019. During 2019 the company produced 186,615 Oz AuEq, with 47,521 Oz AuEq produced during the Q4. During the same quarter production at El Castillo complex in Durango was 34,899 Oz AuEq (13,896 Oz AuEq from El Castillo and 21,003 Oz AuEq from San Agustin), and 12,622 Oz AuEq at La Colorada, in Sonora. For 2019, total production was 131,727 Oz AuEq at El Castillo Complex and 55,338 Oz AuEq at La Colorada.
- Coeur Mining Inc. announced production results for full year 2019 and fourth quarter 2019, including figures from Mexico. At Palmarejo, in Chihuahua, 1.76 M tonnes were milled @ 2.49 gpt Au, 151 gpt Ag, recovering 84.3% Au, 79.3% Ag, to produce 111,932 Oz Au, 6.84 M Oz Ag during the year. During the last quarter 486.8 K tonnes were milled @ 2.18 gpt Au, 159 gpt Ag, recovering 84.9% Au, 81.7% Ag, to produce 28,702 Oz Au, 1.98 M Oz Ag.
- Gold Resource Corp. provided full-year 2019 and fourth quarter 2019 production results, including figures from its Mexican operations. Production for 2019 in its Oaxaca Mining Unit was 29,435 Oz Au, 1.7 M Oz Ag, 1,859 tonnes Cu, 9,202 tonnes Pb, 23,683 tonnes Zn; during the first quarter 7,554 Oz Au, 417.9 K Oz Ag were produced.
- Premier Gold Mines Ltd. released production results for the fourth quarter and full year 2019, including figures from its Mexican operations. At Mercedes, 12,274 Oz Au, 44.8 K Oz Ag were produced during the fourth quarter, adding up to 59,901 Oz Au, 191.3 K Oz Ag for the year. The production Guidance for 2020 is 65-75 K Oz Au at cash cost $850-$875 per Oz and all-in sustaining costs of $1,125-$1,275 per Oz.
- Sierra Metals Inc. reported fourth quarter and full year 2019 production results, including figures from its Mexican operations. At Bolivar, in Chihuahua, 348.4 K tonnes were processed at a 3,982 tpd rate and a grade of 0.87% Cu, 21 gpt Ag, 0.32 gpt Au, recovering 84.8% Cu, 78.7% Ag, 62.3% Au to produce 5.66 M Lb Cu, 185 K Oz Ag, 2,216 Oz Au during the fourth quarter; and 1.27 M tonnes were processed at a rate of 3,628 tpd @ 0.85% Cu, 20 gpt Ag, 0.27 gpt Au, recovering 83% Cu, 79.2% Pb, 63.5% Zn to produce 19.83 M Lb Cu, 640 K Oz Ag, 6,794 Oz Au during the year. At Cusi, in Chihuahua, 61.4 K tonnes were processed at a rate of 702 tpd, at a grade of 210 gpt Ag, 0.14 gpt Au, 0.23% Pb, 0.23% Zn, recovering 79.8% Ag, 28.4% Au, 74% Pb, 0% Zn to produce 190 K Oz Ag, 78 Oz Au, 232 K Lb Pb during the quarter; and 285.2 K tonnes processed at a daily rate of 815 tpd at a grade of 129 gpt Ag, 0.15 gpt Au, 0.2% Pb, 0.2% Zn, recovering 79.1% Ag, 36.1% Au, 75.4% Pb, 0% Zn, to produce 936 K Oz Ag, 493 Oz Au, 904 K Lb Pb for the year.
- First Majestic Silver Corp. announced 2020 production and cost guidance. San Dimas (Durango), La Encantada (Coahuila) and Santa Elena (Sonora) are the mines to continue in operation, while production has been halted at San Martin (Jalisco) and Del Toro (Zacatecas). The projected AISC is to be in the $13.37-$15.46 range per Oz Ag. At San Martin the mine is closed since mid-2019 due to security concerns, while at Del Toro, 22,450 m of exploration drilling are planned to develop new resources.
- Silver Spruce Resources Inc. filed an amendment on the TSX Venture Exchange about the letter of agreement signed with ProDeMin, under which Silver Spruce is required to issue 1.7 M shares. Of those, 1.5 M shares are to be issued to ProDeMin and 200 K shares to the land owners of the Cocula project, in Jalisco (Pino de Plata, Chihuahua).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Minera Alamos Inc. informed that construction is ongoing at its Santana project in Sonora. The estimated construction time is six to eight months. During January and February is to start preparing the surfaces for leach pads and tailings dam, as well as roads on the mining area.
- Argonaut Gold Inc. provided an update on its development projects. At San Antonio in Baja California Sur, Argonaut is looking at a probable non-monetary, book value decrement due to the uncertainty of obtaining the needed permits for development. The company is reviewing its options, like looking for zoning regulations changes, a revised environmental application and legal action options. At Cerro El Gallo, in Guanajuato, a “Documento Técnico Unificado” (several studies bundled together, needed to start development of the project) during the second quarter 2019. SEMARNAT asked for several minor changes and re-submittal, which is to be done during 2020 first quarter. SEMARNAT is to have 60 days to present its decision afterwards. Argonaut is also evaluating the possibility of producing fewer ounces in 2020, while improving the cash flow.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc.released additional in-fill and expansion drill results from 71 holes on the Babi Sur vein at its Las Chispas project in Sonora. The current drilling has augmented the vein averages from 0.95 m (true width) @ 4.10 gpt Au, 268 gpt Ag (575 gpt AgEq) to 1.7 m tw @ 9.82 gpt Au, 382 gpt Ag (1,119 gpt AgEq). These results suggest a wider and higher grade vein than estimated in the previous resources, still open on strike and at depth. Currently there are 17 drill rigs working from the surface, and two from underground. The best drill holes returned true widths of 2.5 m @ 90.98 gpt Au, 108 gpt Ag (6,931 gpt AgEq); 7.8 m @ 10.53 gpt Au, 79 gpt Ag ((877 gpt Ag); 2.8 m @ 12.91 gpt Au, 1,141 gpt Ag (2,109 gpt AgEq).
- Impact Silver Corp. announced results of a sampling program in the Veta Negra area on its Zacualpan property in Estado de Mexico. At Veta Negra two parallel veins averaging 14 m in width at an historic open pit, with a 650 m strike length. At the open pit about 50 m of vein strike were sampled, averaging 22.70 m @ 206 gpt Ag, 0.02 gpt Au, 0.14% Pb, 0.31% Zn on the El Socorro vein, and 16.02 m @ 208 gpt Ag, 0.13 gpt Au, 0.41% Pb, 0.56% Zn on the Veta Negra vein. A sub parallel vein 120 m from the Veta Negra returned up to 1.20 m @ 59 gpt Ag, 2.11 gpt Au, 0.19% Pb, 0.11% Zn; 1.30 m @ 286 gpt Ag, 1.07 gpt Au, 0.27% Pb, 0.05% Zn; 0.80 m @ 1,595 gpt Ag, 0.64 gpt Au, 0.19% Pb, 0.06% Zn; 0.80 m @ 309 gpt Ag, 1.53 gpt Au, 0.31% Pb, 0.06% Zn; 0.80 m @ 70 gpt Ag, 13.85 gpt Au, 0.21% Pb, 0.09% Zn; 1.90 m @ 215 gpt Ag, 1.04 gpt Au, 0.22% Pb, 0.08% Zn.
- Mexus Gold US. began mining on the Julio vein/shear zone via a 300 x 20 m open pit at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora (not to mistake with First Majestic’s Santa Elena mine, also in Sonora). Mined material was crushed and added to the heap leach facilities, with ore assaying 4 gpt Au, and as high as 16 gpt.
- GoGold Resources Inc. released results from nine more drill holes at Los Ricos project in Jalisco. Highlighted hole length intervals comprise 16.8 m @ 0.36 gpt Au, 86 gpt Ag (1.51 gpt AuEq); 17.1 m @ 0.21 gpt Au, 60 gpt Ag (1.01 gpt AuEq), including 4.5 m @ 0.60 gpt Au, 104 gpt Ag (1.99 gpt AuEq); 18.9 m @ 2.01 gpt Au, 496.4 gpt Ag (8.63 gpt Au), including 5.0 m @ 7.30 gpt Au, 1,833 gpt Ag); 22.7 m @ 0.63 gpt Au, 65 gpt Ag (1.49 gpt AuEq), including 6.7 m @ 1.76 gpt Au, 114 gpt Ag (3.28 gpt AuEq); 12.9 m @ 0.57 gpt Au, 96 gpt Ag (1.86 gpt AuEq), including 6.5 m @ 1.08 gpt Au, 175 gpt Ag (3.41 gpt AuEq); 13.9 m @ 0.62 gpt Au, 80 gpt Ag (1.69 gpt AuEq), including 5.8 m @ 1.34 gpt Au, 141 gpt Ag (3.23 gpt AuEq).
- Mexican Gold Corp. released drilling results on its Las Minas project, Veracruz. The 13 holes targeted a TEM anomaly, infill at El Dorado, Cinco Señores and Pueblo Nuevo zones. One hole at the TEM anomaly intersected endo skarn and is a good guide to further drilling; Two holes on El Dorado infill intersected higher grade mineralization than expected, a third one did not reach the sought contact zone; The two holes at Cinco Señores did not intersect the contact; At Pueblo Nuevo, drilling intersected several gold bearing veins, without the high gold and base metal values sampled at surface. Highlighted results comprise: 19.5 m tw @ 0.95 gpt Au,4 gpt Ag, 1.30% Cu; 6.0 m tw @ 1.36 gpt Au, 5 gpt Ag, 1.08% Cu; 5.2 m @ 8.94 gpt Au (including 2.0 m @ 21.37 gpt Au); 0.7 m @ 3.23 gpt Au; 0.9 m @ 2.69 gpt Au; 0.95 m @ 2.71 gpt Au.
- Prime Mining Corp. announced surface results from trenches and road cuts from its Los Reyes project in Sinaloa. These samples show gold grades over significant widths in an area outside the historical resource at El Zapote North and South. Road cut sampling returned 24.5 m @ 7.94 gpt Au, 59 gpt Ag; 13.5 m @ 12.17 gpt Au, 71 gpt Ag; 27.0 m @ 1.53 gpt Au, 25 gpt Ag; 37.5 m @ 0.76 gpt Au, 18 gpt Ag. Surface trenching at Zapote Central returned 30.0 m @ 3.93 gpt Au, 40 gpt Ag; 7.5 m @ 8.71 gpt Au, 60 gpt Ag; 10.5 m @ 0.88 gpt Au, 62 gpt Ag; 25.5 m @ 0.33 gpt Au, 15 gpt Ag.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd. (Goldplay Exploration Ltd.) updated on its exploration results for 2019 at its San Marcial project in Sinaloa. Late 2019 drill holes returned up to 28.7 m @ 92 gpt Ag, including 13.75 m @ 154 gpt Ag and 0.6 m @ 138 gpt Ag, 0.56 gpt Au. High-grade depth extensions are to be sought by underground drilling below the current resource. XRF litho-geochemistry for target generation has re-commenced and due diligence work started on the potential acquisition of the Plomosas and La Trinidad projects.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Santacruz Mining Ltd. acquired by staking the La Pechuga property in Hidalgo. The mining concession (application??) covers 3,025 ha 25 km SE from the Zimapan mine. Several historic mines are developed in 3-8 m wide carbonate replacement or skarn mineralization hosted on El Doctor Formation limestone. Previous sampling by the SGM (Servicio Geológico Mexicano) reported up to 770 gpt Ag, 0.50 gpt Au, 21.9% Pb, 13.4% Zn, 0.47% Cu.
- Leagold Mining Corp. announced a recommendation by advisory firms for a favorable vote on a proposed merger with Equinox Gold Corp., on the special meeting to be held on January 28, 2019 (Leagold: Los Filos, Guerrero. Equinox: Mesquite, California, USA).
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- The Mining Fund allocated the resources needed for the rehabilitation of the sports field in Santa Barbara, Chihuahua. The facilities were inaugurated by Antonio Bilbao, president of the Municipality, where 336 square meters were rehabilitated, with lighting and other improvements performed, counting on a total investment of $796,381 pesos. Approximately 500 inhabitants benefit with the resources provided by the Mining Fund..
- Esperanza Silver (Alamos Gold) is to start operations at its Esperanza project in Tetlama, Morelos, by the end of 2020 or early 2021. The company has initiated to inform the communities on the permits obtained and the remaining, in the high margination zone. The project is proposed as “Nuevo Modelo de Minería Social y Ambientalmente Responsable” (A New Model on Socially and Environmentally Responsible Mining), promoting community development, with the respect to human rights and social and environmental issues standing prominently in the company model. By this approach the project would stick by the rules set by the UNO 2030 schedule, with plans for Social Management, Cultural Management and Economic Management. To eradicate poverty, mining can pay taxes and royalties, develop local supply lines, strengthen local value chains, promote inclusive employment, preserve land access, conservation and recycling of water, water management, improve energy efficiency, incorporate renewable energy and keep the public aware of opportunities and limitations.
- Minera San Xavier formalized the delivery of the company’s silver jewelry shop, “La Victoria”. The shop is located on the historic down town of Cerro San Pedro, in San Luis Potosí, with the sale were included the machinery, tools and silver inventory. The shop was offered to employees and workers of Minera San Xavier through an open bid, of which Mónica Daniela Fierros obtaining the shop by presenting a plan with continuing local team, sustainability, innovation, creativity, quality and leadership.
- Guerrero’s Governor, Héctor Astudillo, signed an agreement with Minera Media Luna and the Cocula Municipalty, to pave 5 km of road between Real del Limón-La Fundición, benefiting more than 1,200 inhabitants. Each of the agreement signers is to deliver $5 M pesos for the construction work.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below: Underground picture of a quartz vein in an orogenic gold system of Oaxaca, by Jorge Cirett.
Advance Gold Corp. (TSXV: AAX) (“Advance Gold” or “the Company”) is pleased to announce assay results from a 78 metre sulphide zone previously announced (see Dec. 24/2019 news release) from the Company’s Tabasquena project in Zacatecas, Mexico.
Boiling texture in an epithermal quartz vein
By Miguel A Heredia
During the third week of the year (January 13th to January 19th, 2020), at least 27 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with eight communicating production results, seven reporting on resources and developments, five informing on exploration results, two disclosing deals and corporate issues, two discussing issues on social responsibility, two commenting on Mexican issues, and one announcing financial rounds. ON MEXICO ISSUES, The Mexican mining industry, the thirteenth largest in the world, is laying the groundwork for generating more investment in this important development engine. Mining activity has increased in Tamaulipas, according to the General Directorate of Mines. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Silver Viper released drilling results from its La Virginia project and Aztec Minerals provided a 2020 outlook for its Cervantes project. In Chihuahua, Radius announced results from the third phase of drilling from its Amalia project. In Sinaloa, Vizsla Resources discovered a new high grade vein at its Panuco project. In Zacatecas, Advance Gold commenced the third phase geophysical survey at its Tabasquena project. ON MINING, Alamos Gold commenced operation at its Cerro Pelon mine in Sonora. Torex announced that it expects to produce between 420K to 480K Oz Au in 2020 (El Limón Guajes, Guerrero). Great Panther, GoGold, McEwen, Fortuna Silver, Avino, and Coeur reported Q4 and full year 2019 production and financial results from their Mexican operations. ON FINANCING, Minera Alamos closed a private placement with Osisko for gross proceeds of $6M. (Santana project, Sonora). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Starcore staked two new claims near its San Martin Mine in Querétaro. Prime Mining retained a consulting company to complete an estimate of the Au and Ag resources for its Los Reyes mine in Sinaloa. Capstone presented expansion and infill drilling results from its Cozamine mine in Zacatecas. Torex announced an updated resource estimate for its Media Luna project in Guerrero. SilverCrest announced it plans to release in-fill and expansion drill results from six areas in Q1, 2020. Minera Alamos commenced construction of its Santana mine in Sonora. Southern Silver reported that metallurgical test work confirmed that a marketable Cu, Pb, Zn concentrate can be produce at its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Sonoro Metals granted stock options to certain directors, officers, and consultants (Cerro Caliche project, Sonora). Radius signed a binding option agreement to acquire from a private family an 800 Ha property called Palmillas, which is adjacent to its Amalia project in Chihuahua. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, The Mining Fund contributed in the road construction in the municipality of Tepehuanes, Durango. The Peñoles Community Center will give new human development workshop.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- The Mexican mining industry, the thirteenth largest in the world, is laying the groundwork for generating more investment in this important development engine. The Ministry of Economy works to have a financing model like the Canadian one. One of the government’s bets is that Mexico, with private investment, be a producer of rechargeable Li batteries for electric cars. José Francisco Quiroga Fernández, the Under Secretariat of Mining said in an interview, that USD $ 100B will be the value of annual Li sales in 2029, according to Bloomberg. 243M tonnes of Li are estimated to be in the Sonora deposits. At the moment that market is worth just over USD $22B; However, according to Bloomberg NEF estimates in 2023 it exceeds USD $40B, in 2025 it will be USD $60B and in 2030, USD $116B, that is to say almost 420% more than the global sales of 2019.
- Mining activity has increased in Tamaulipas, according to the General Directorate of Mines. The state has 124 mining concessions in 19 of their municipalities. Profits produced by the mineral extraction of Pb, Zn, Cu, Au, Ag, serpentine, and stone aggregates exceed MXP $2,000M per year.
- Silver Viper Minerals Corp., announced drilling results for the first three holes of the phase 2 from its Virginia project in Sonora. Significant results were encountered in hole LV19-209 with 3.22 g/t Au and 1,054 g/t Ag (1,280 g/t AgEq) over 1.8m, and other interval with 2.50 g/t Au and 27 g/t Ag (202 g/t AgEq) over 7m, including 5.27 g/t Au and 41 g/t Ag (410 g/t AgEq) over 3m; hole LV19-210 with 1.47 g/t Au and 216 g/t Ag (319 g/t AgEq) over 6m, including 6.32 g/t Au and 1,071 g/t Ag (1,513 g/t AgEq)over 1m; and hole LV19-211 with 13.39 g/t Au and 446 g/t Ag (1,384 g/t AgEq) over 4.5m, including 58.3 g/t Au and 1,923 g/t Ag (6,004 g(t AgEq) over 1m, and other interval with 1.37 g/t Au and 40 g/t Ag (136 g/t AgEq) over 9m. Phase II will consists of 5,000m in approximately 20 holes.
- Aztec Minerals Corp., provided a 2020 outlook for its Cervantes project in Sonora. It plans to finalize the JV agreement with Kootenay in January 2020, and secure a senior partner to conduct an aggressive exploration program to advance both near surface oxide Au mineralization and deeper porphyry Au-Cu targets.
- Radius Gold Inc., announced results from the recently completed third phase of drilling from its Amalia project in Chihuahua. Significant results were encountered in hole AM-DD19-18 with 12.5 g/t Au and 2,320 g/t Ag over 1.3m, and 1.4 g/t Au over 13.7m; and hole AM-DD19-19 with 0.5 g/t Au and 22 g/t Ag over 7.4m. Holes AM-DD19-20 and 21 only encountered anomalous Au-Ag values at the San Pedro fault. Radius reported that it has signed a binding agreement to acquire the 800 Ha Palmillas property from a private family which hosts high-grade epithermal Au-Ag mineralization and is adjacent to Amalia project.
- Vizsla Resources Corp., discovered a new high grade vein at its Panuco property in Sinaloa. This vein consists of crystalline quartz with disseminated argentite and pyrite hosted in a strongly weathered and demagnetized diorite. Sampling on this 500m long vein returned 3.07g/t Au and 312 g/t Ag (557 g/t AgEq over 3.4m; 1.34 g/t Au and 263 g/t Ag (370 g/t AgEq) over 0.7m; and 0.5 g/t Au and 107 g/t Ag (147 g/t AgEq) over 1.1m. Vizsla plans to drill this recently discovered vein in late January/early February as one of the twenty targets that will be drilled throughout 2020.
- Advance Gold Corp., commenced the third phase geophysical survey at its Tabasquena project in Zacatecas to delineate a new chargeability anomaly identified on the most southerly of the reconnaissance lines from the second phase survey, and to do a long NW-SE line cross cutting all of the previous E-W survey lines to obtain a much deeper penetration. This new survey will consist of nine E-W lines of 1,000m long, with line spacing of 120m, and one line NW-SE of 4,000m long.
- Alamos Gold Inc., commenced operation at its satellite mine Cerro Pelon, located 3km from its Mulatos mining unit in Sonora. The new open pit mine, whose current life is three years, has a capacity of 4,500 tons per day, has an independent crushing train and the material is deposited in the Mulatos mine yards, taking advantage of the existing mining infrastructure and avoiding more capital costs.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc., announced that it expects to produce between 420K to 480K Oz Au in 2020, at a total cost per Oz Au sold of USD $640-$670, and AISC of USD $900-$960 per Oz Au sold.
- Great Panther Mining Limited, reported Q4 and full year 2019 production and financial results from their Mexican operations. At Topia mine, Durango, the company processed in Q4, 2019, 18,854 tonnes with grades of 0.81 g/t Au and 424 g/t Ag for a total of 267 Oz Au, 242.8K Oz Ag, 1.09M Lb Pb, and 1.45M Lb Zn (449.6K Oz AgEq), that brings a total of 79,257 tonnes processed in the full year 2019, with grades of 0.94 g/t Au and 392 g/t Ag for a total of 1,344 Oz Au, 938.6K Oz Ag, 4.39M Lb Pb, and 5.77M Lb Zn (1.78M Oz AgEq). At Guanajuato mine complex, the company processed in Q4, 2019 a total of 48,710 tonnes with grades of 2 g/t Au and 136 g/t Ag for a total of 2,640 Oz Au and 180.5K Oz Ag (394.6K Oz AgEq), that brings a total of 187,610 tonnes processed in the full year 2019 with grades of 2.26 g/t Au and 116 g/t Ag for a total of 11,588 Oz Au and 590.8K Oz Ag (1.5M Oz AgEq).
- GoGold Resources Inc., announced Q4, 2019 production results from its Parral Tailings project in Chihuahua. The company produced 2,407 Oz Au and 379K Oz Ag (585K Oz AgEq).
- McEwen Mining Inc., reported that its El Gallo mine in Sinaloa produced in 2019 a total of 16,333Oz AuEq from residual leaching of the heap leach pad.
- Fortuna Silver Mines Inc., announced Q4 and full year 2019 production results from its San Jose mine in Oaxaca. It processed 273,066 tonnes of 1.5 g/t Au and 249 g/t Ag to produce a total of 12K Oz Au and 2M Oz Ag. In the full year 2019, the company processed 1,068,722 tonnes of 1.57 g/t Au and 252 g/t Ag to produce 48.9K Oz Au and 7.9M Oz Ag.
- Avino Silver & Gold Mines Ltd., reported Q4, and full year 2019 production results from its Avino mine in Durango, including Avino, San Gonzalo and stockpiles. During the Q4 period, it processed 188,436 tonnes of 0.47 g/t Au, 51 g/t Ag, and 0.43% Cu to produce 2,032 Oz Au, 220.8K Oz Ag, and 1.39M Lb Cu (608.6K Oz AgEq). In the full year 2019, the company processed 789,660 tonnes of 0.41 g/t Au, 54 g/t Ag, and 0.4%Cu to produce 6,912 Oz Au, 958.8 Oz Ag, and 4.97M Lb Cu (2.4M Oz AgEq).
- Coeur Mining Inc., announced Q4 and full year 2019 production and financial results from its Palmarejo mine in Chihuahua. In the period Q4, it milled 486,779 tonnes of 2.25 g/t Au and 159 g/ Ag for a total of 28.7K Oz Au and 2M Oz Ag at an average realized price per Oz Au and Ag of $1,238 and $17.28 respectively. For the full year 2019, the company milled 1,755,957 tonnes of 2.49 g/t Au and 151 g/t Ag to produce a total of 111.9K Oz Au and 6.76M Oz Ag at an average realized price per Oz Au and Ag of $1,220 and $16.23 respectively.
- Minera Alamos Inc., closed a private placement with Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd., for gross proceeds of $6M. With this, Osisko has increased its shareholding of the company´s common share from 12.3% to 18.7%. Net proceeds will be used for building its Santana mine in Sonora.
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Starcore International Mines Ltd., staked two new claims near its San Martin Mine in Queretaro with upside potential for exploration and development. These two new claims are located to the west of the current mineral rights of the mine and cover approximately 710 Ha. The company will release an exploration plan for the first part of 2020.
- Prime Mining Corp., retained a consulting company to complete a 43-101 compliant technical report that includes a n estimate of the Au and Ag resources for its Los Reyes mine in Sinaloa. Prime geologists have prepared a database of 493 historic drill holes to establish a new 43-101 compliant in-pit resource. The company expects to expands the size of the indicated resource presented by the former owner of 380.1K Oz Au at a grade of 1.73 g/t Au and inferred resources of 155.2K Oz Au at a grade of 1.49 g/t Au, and Ag resources of 6.3M indicated Oz Ag at a grade of 29 g/t Ag, and 3.6M inferred Oz Ag at a grade of 35 g/t Ag.
- Capstone Mining Corp., presented drilling results from 6 expansion holes and 21 infill holes collared at its Cozamin mine in Zacatecas. This brings the total drilled to date to 150 holes of a 200 hole program, aiming to double the current reserve base. Significant drill intercepts were encountered in hole CG-19-S445 (step out) with 5.31% Cu, 0.15% Zn, and 79 g(t Ag over a true width of 6.3m, including 9.8% Cu, 0.26% Zn, and 139 g/t Ag over 2.8m; hole CG-19-S443 (step out) with 4.95% Cu, 0.15% Zn, and 104 g/t Ag; hole CG-19-S436 with 6.13% Cu, 0.24% Zn, and 98 g/t Ag over a true width of 1.7m; hole CG-19-S441(step out) with 3.35% Cu, 0.34% Zn, and 62 g/t Ag over a true width of 5.4m; hole CG-10-S455 (infill) with 7.65% Cu, 0.35%Zn, and 141 g/t Ag over a true width of 5.4m; hole CG-19-S437 (infill) with 1.94% Cu, 0.15% Zn and 45 g/t Ag over a true width of 19.3m, including 5.9% Cu, 0.33% Zn, and 134 g/t Ag over a true width of 2.80m; hole CG-19-S440 (infill) with 8.29% Cu, 0.25%Zn, and 133 g/t Ag over a true width of 4.9m, including 10.75% Cu, 0.32% Zn, and 166 g/t Ag over a true width of 3.4M; and hole CG-19-S444 (infill) with 3.31% Cu, 0.11% Zn, and 82 g/t Ag over a true width of 11.8m, including 7.89% Cu, 0.2%Zn, and 198 g/t Ag over a true width of 3.7m.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc., announced an updated resource estimate for its Media Luna project in Guerrero. It reported an indicated resource of 12.6M tonnes of 3.27 g/t Au, 38 g/t Ag, and 1.16% Cu for a total of 1.32 M Oz Au, 15.3M Ag, and 322M Lb Cu (2.24M Oz Au Eq at a grade of 5.5 g/t AuEq). Inferred resources are 33.5M tonnes of 2.49 g/t Au, 24 g/t Ag, and 0.93% Cu for a total of 2.68M Oz Au, 25.5M Oz Ag, and 686M Lb Cu (4.56M Oz AuEq at a grade of 4.23 g/t AuEq).
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., announced it plans to release in Q1, 2020 in-fill and expansion drill results from Babi Sur, Babi Vista Discover, Babicanora Norte, Babicanora, Babicanora FW, and Area 118 Discovery veins. Drill results will be incorporated into the updated resource to be released in the FS in H1, 2020. SilverCrest plans to conduct a 125,000m of exploration drill program focused on expanding measured and indicated resources to be considered for inclusion in the initial reserve estimate with the FS. In anticipation of a positive construction decision based on the FS, and the approval from the government of the change of use of soil permit, the company will commence to construct offices, warehousing, water works, and roads access improvements in H1.
- Minera Alamos Inc., commenced the construction of its Santana mine in Sonora. It plans to provide construction updates during the 6-8 months construction period. During January and February, the company along with members of the community will begin to prepare the areas designed for the leach pads and holding pods, as well as initiate road construction within the planned mine area.
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp., announced that the metallurgical tests work at its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango confirmed that a marketable Cu, Pb, and Zn concentrate can be produce, increasing its value compared with earlier batch testing. These results are highlighted by a 94.7% Zn recovery grading 54.0% Zn in the Zn concentrate and grades of 5,504g/t Ag and 65.1% Pb in the Pb concentrate. Ag strongly partitions into the Pb and Cu concentrates for a combined 83.8% Ag recovery into concentrates that traditionally receive favourable payable terms.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Sonoro Metals Corp., granted stock options to certain directors, officers and consultants of the company to purchase an aggregate of 3,040,000 common shares.
- Radius Gold Inc., reported that it has signed a binding agreement to acquire the 800 Ha Palmillas property from a private family which hosts high-grade epithermal Au-Ag mineralization and is adjacent to Amalia project in Chihuahua. During due diligence evaluation, Radius sampled outcrops and old adits obtaining encouraging results, such as 9.5 g/t Au and 73 g/t Ag over 4m, and 1.54 g/t Au and 58 g/t Ag over 10.5m. The company can earn a 100% interest in the Palmillas property by making staged payments over a period of five years for a total USD $350K, of which USD $200K is a final payment at the end of five years.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- With an investment of MXP $9M, and a direct benefit for 1,200 residents of the area, Governor of Durango, José Rosas Aispuro Torres, delivered road infrastructure works, in compliance with one more commitment to the inhabitants of Tepehuanes. The state executive said that this is a work that was carried out thanks to the resource of the Mining Fund, which made it possible to build eight thousand square meters of pavement with hydraulic concrete, directly benefiting the inhabitants of four colonies of the Municipal head.
- The Peñoles Community Center, will give a new human development workshop. It also announced that another of the Peñoles Community Center workshops with the highest demand is that of teaching English, which students attend to receive instruction three days a week in both morning and evening hours.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, an epithermal quartz vein displaying boiling textures in a prospect in Zacatecas, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.
Vancouver, British Columbia – Capstone Mining Corp. (“Capstone”) (TSX: CS) announces additional high grade copper and silver results from 21 infill and 6 step out drill holes at its Cozamin Mine, further to the update of December 2, 2019. This brings the total drilled to date to 150 holes of a 200 hole program, aiming to double the current reserve base. Drill results to date continue to demonstrate greater widths and grades than current Mineral Reserves, as well as the potential for an expanded high grade resource. Mineral Resource and Mineral Reserve estimates will be updated in late 2020. Cozamin is expected to achieve a 50% increase to annual copper and silver production of 50 to 55 million pounds and 1.5 million ounces, respectively, by 2021.
By Jorge Cirett
During the 2nd week of the year (January 6th to January 12th, 2020), at least 34 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. ON MEXICO ISSUES, The IPN is to offer Metallurgy Engineering at the Zacatecas campus. Conagua and Minera Peñasquito reached an agreement to promote the recovery of the Mazapil aquifer in Zacatecas. Some highlights on three major Mexican ore deposits were shared by Camimex: Metates, El Arco and La Verde. The Mexican president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador asserted the importance of mining in Mexico. In 2019 three Peñoles, Autlán and Frisco lost US$935 M in value on the stock exchange (BMV). Torex Gold and Leagold increased gold production on its mines in Guerrero. ON EXPLORATION, setting a weekly record, that we hope is a good omen for the industry in Mexico this year, eleven companies reported on exploration programs or results on their projects. In Sonora, Colibri disclosed surface sampling results from the Evelyin project; Tocvan and Colibri reported high Au and Ag values from the Pilar project near Suaqui Grande; Magna Gold released high grade Au results from surface mapping on several targets at the San Judas project. In Chihuahua, Kootenay Silver released high-grade Ag results from its Columba project. Sable Resources released low grade but widespread Au results from the Vinata project. In Sinaloa, Vizsla Resources started drilling at its Pánuco project. In Durango, Gainey Capital has had successful meetings and communication with the local communities at Las Margaritas project. In Jalisco, GoGold Resources released results from five more holes at Los Ricos. In Zacatecas, Pan American Silver is to continue the exploration, initial engineering and metallurgical tests at the La Colorada skarn ore deposit. Advance Gold commenced another drill hole at La Tabasqueña project. Alien Metals is submitting applications to drill its Los Campos and San Celso projects. ON MINING, US Antimony has begun production testing of the cyanide leach circuits at the Puerto Blanco mill in Guanajuato. Hecla Mining, Torex Gold, Leagold Mining and Endeavour Silver presented fourth quarter and full-year 2019 reports. Argonaut Gold informed its El Castillo mine in Durango is to cease operations in 2022. ON FINANCING, Silver Spruce closed the first tranche of a financing round. Agnico Eagle issued warrants in connection with the loan agreement with Orla Mining. Sierra Metals is to repurchase US$30 M of shares. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Prime Mining updated on work at Guadalupe de Los Reyes, in Sinaloa. Sierra Metals updated the mineral resource estimate for the Bolivar mine, in Chihuahua. Discovery Metals released some high-grade results from its current drill program at Cordero, Chihuahua, where it is aiming to enhance the high-grade component of the deposit. Azure Minerals recommenced RC drilling the Loma Bonita gold deposit at its Alacrán project in Sonora. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Goldplay signed a LOI with First Majestic to acquire the Plomosas property in Sinaloa. Goldplay is to change name to GR Silver Mining. Oroco Resource Corp. is now officially the owner of 56.7% net interest (that can be increased to 81%) on the core concessions of the Santo Tomás project in Sinaloa. The company also holds the rights to 77.5% of the concessions surrounding the said core. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Peñoles to aid on the reactivation of agriculture in Naica. Peñoles organizes a robot building contest in Torreón. Endeavour Silver summarized its sustainability work for 2019.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- The Instituto Politécnico Nacional (IPN) is to offer the Metallurgy Engineering at its Zacatecas campus. Students are to spend one week of every month gaining experience on local mining units, from the third semester onward.
- Conagua (Water Use Agency) and Minera Peñasquito (Newmont Goldcorp) reached an agreement to promote the recovery of the Mazapil aquifer. The agreement was reached in negotiation tables with several parties. The company is to forfeit its rights to extract 5 M cubic meters of water. During 2020 and 2021 Minera Peñasquito will invest 100 M pesos (US$5.25 M) on water access, drainage and cleaning in town, as well to aid on the bettering of irrigation and promotion of water re-usage in agriculture. In 2023 the company will also cede another 4 M cubic meters of water.
- Highlights on three giant mining projects in Mexico: Metates, in Durango, holds reserves for 18.3 M Oz Au, 502 M Oz Ag, 4 B Lb Zn. Chesapeake’s 2016 pre-feasibility study (PFS) calls for a capital spending of $3.5 billion for a 90 K tonnes per day (tpd) operation, and a mine life of 27 years producing 445 K Oz Au. Sustained prices over $1,400 per gold ounce would help to kick start the operations. El Arco, in Baja California, is a giant copper deposit owned by Grupo Mexico. The deposit displays reserves of 2,700 M tonnes @ 0.4% Cu, 0.1 gpt Au. The deposit is to be mined by open pit, with concentrator and leaching operations to recover copper by electro winning, and is expected to produce 190 K tonnes Cu and 105 K Oz Au per year, once it is developed. La Verde, in Michoacan, owned by Solaris Resources and Teck, had a preliminary evaluation assessment (PEA) in 2018 with an investment of US$1.16 billion to produce 7.17 M tonnes of concentrate @ 26.7% Cu for 19 years, or 100 K tonnes Cu per year.
- The Mexican president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador asserted the importance of mining in Mexico, on the strengthening of the country’s economy and the strong employment generation. He pointed that the ministers of environment and health are looking into the Rio Sonora spill (2014) and its consequences on the area inhabitants.
- During 2019, mining companies like Industrias Peñoles, Autlán and Minera Frisco lost US$935 M in market cap on the Mexican Stock Exchange (Bolsa Mexicana de Valores, or BMV). The three companies saw a reduction on its operations, same that were reflected on its cash flow (EBITDA) and share price. During the year Peñoles lost US$861.4 M, Autlán US$39.8 M and Frisco US$34 M in value. On the other hand, Grupo Mexico registered an increment of US$4.617 billion on its value for the same period, due to good results on copper extraction and the expansion on its transport branch.
- Gold production increased in 2019 for Torex and Leagold in Guerrero. In 2019 Torex produced 454,810 Oz Au at its El Limon-Guajes mine in Guerrero, compared with 354,000 Oz Au produced in 2018. Leagold produced 200,856 Oz Au at its Los Filos mine, in the same region.
- Pan American Silver Corp. is planning to continue the exploration program, initial engineering and more metallurgical tests at the world class skarn mineralization discovered at La Colorada, Zacatecas. The inferred resources stand at 72.5 M tonnes @ 44 gpt Ag, 0.17% Cu, 2.0% Pb, 4.4% Zn, with the deposit open in several directions. In 2020 PAS is to drill 44,000 m to define and expand the inferred resources.
- Colibri Resource Corp. disclosed rock chip sample results from its Evelyn project in Sonora. Highlighted results include 0.75 m @ 14.45 gpt Au, 16 gpt Ag; 1.5 m @ 12.45 gpt Au, 3 gpt Ag; 1.5 m @ 8.6 gpt Au, 5 gpt Ag; chip samples @ 22.3 gpt Au, 28 gpt Ag; 40.1 gpt Au; 3.12 gpt Au at the Cerro Rojo corridor and 2.97 gpt Au; 0.5 gpt Au, 0.4 gpt Au, 0.46 gpt Au; 2.74 gpt Au, 73 gpt Ag at the El Sahuaro corridor. Colibri is now planing to pursue a 1,000 m drilling campaign.
- Advance Gold Corp. has commenced the second drill hole of the current drilling program at its Tabaqueña project in Zacatecas. This second hole is to test the large IP anomaly that underlies the intersection of 1.70 m @ 9.46 gpt of a previous drilling campaign. The second hole on this campaign was collared 300 north of the location of the first one, with results pending. A second rig is being brought to the site to expedite drilling, now that the IP anomaly has been seen to correspond with a sulphide system.
- GoGold Resources Inc. released results from five more drill holes at its Los Ricos project in Jalisco. Highlighted intersections include 22 m @ 0.22 gpt Au, 60 gpt Ag (1.01 gpt AuEq); 16.5 m @ 4.29 gpt Au, 336 gpt Ag (8.77 gpt AuEq); 5.2 m @ 1.10 gpt Au, 67 gpt Ag (2.01 gpt AuEq); 13.5 m @ 0.82 gpt Au, 215 gpt Ag (3.73 gpt AuEq); 17.4 m @ 0.77 gpt Au, 152 gpt Ag (2.80 gpt AuEq), including 6.1 m @ 2.07 gpt Au, 373 gpt Ag (7.05 gpt AuEq), 23.5 m @ 0.17 gpt Au, 43 gpt Ag (0.75 gpt AuEq). The holes were drilled north and south of the historical stopes to test the continuation of the structures.
- Gainey Capital Corp, has had successful meetings and communication with the local communities at Las Margaritas project, Durango. “Discussions with State and Federal government representatives have been held to ensure that exploration on the property continues to the benefit of all stakeholders”.
- Kootenay Silver Inc. released assay results from seven more drill holes completed at its Columba property in Chihuahua. Highlighted intervals comprise: 11.35 m @ 103 gpt Ag, including 2.28 m @ 405 gpt Ag; 23.0 m @ 60 gpt Ag, including 3.0 m @ 274 gpt Ag, including 1.35 m @ 494 gpt Ag; 7.05 m @ 114 gpt Ag, including 1.0 m @ 547 gpt Ag (the three intercepts in one hole); 10.0 m @ 175 gpt Ag, including 4.63 m @ 301 gpt Ag, including 1.5 m @ 628 gpt Ag; 4.9 m @ 194 gpt Ag, including 0.88 m @ 808 gpt Ag; 39.90 m @ 159 gpt Ag, including 7.45 m @ 650 gpt Ag and 1.15 m @ 919 gpt Ag, and 1.0 m @ 953 gpt Ag, and 1.0 m @ 527 gpt Ag, and 1.0 m @ 860 gpt Ag, and 1.8 m @ 715 gpt Ag. High Ag grades have been intercepted over 700 m of strike length on the F vein, and also 650 m from old workings on the B vein.
- Sable Resources Ltd. provided an update on the ongoing drilling campaign at its Vinata property in Chihuahua. Six drill holes have been completed, amounting to 1,753 m of core, with results for 530 samples on the first five holes. Highlighted results comprise 51.3 m @ 0.28 gpt Au, including 30.3 m @ 0.44 gpt Au; 61.8 m @ 0.079 gpt Au, including 12.4 m @ 0.24 gpt Au; 198.25 m @ 0.063 gpt Au, including 8.9 m @ 0.24 gpt Au and 22.1 m @ 0.11 gpt Au; 30.45 m @ 0.035 gpt Au. Low grade gold argillic stratabound alteration in volcanic rocks is open in every direction, except to the East. The drilling program has been increased from 2,000 to 4,000 m to define the limits and grade on the argillic alteration, and also for the existence of a high-grade feeder with more classical epithermal textures.
- Tocvan Ventures Corp. and Colibri Resource Corp. reported high Au and Ag values from two new showings that extend known mineralization at its Pilar project in Sonora. Highlighted results comprise 4.3 gpt Au, 172 gpt Ag, 1.1% Pb; 23.7 gpt Au, 116 gpt Ag; 4.4 gpt Au, 44 gpt Ag; 7.5 gpt Au, 42 gpt Ag; 0.5 gpt Au, 323 gpt Ag; 1.4 gpt Au, 2 gpt Ag; 2.2 gpt Au, 15 gpt Ag; 5.6 gpt Au, 84 gpt Ag, 1.7% Pb; 0.7 gpt Au, 20 gpt Ag; 9.3 gpt Au, 76 gpt Ag, 2.2% Pb. The new assays support additional areas to develop and define mineralization east and south east of the main areas that have seen over 17,700 m of drilling.
- Alien Metals Ltd. is submitting applications for drill permits at its Los Campos and San Celso projects in Zacatecas. At Los Campos a six hole program that could grow to 47 holes and 3,250 m of drilling is planned. At San Celso a grid based drilling plan has been designed, with a total of up to 30 drill holes for 2,550 m, aiming to start with four to six key holes.
- Magna Gold Corp. reported assay results from surface sampling at its San Judas project in Sonora. Several targets have been delineated: Santa Lucia-Las Palomas is a bulk mining target in sheared granite with quartz veins and stockworks, on which samples returned up to 0.5 m @ 26.4 gpt Au, 1.5 m @ 14.6 gpt Au, 0.7 m @ 12.9 gpt Au, 0.8 m @ 7.3 gpt Au, 1.0 m @ 6.14 gpt Au, 0.8 m @ 5.54 gpt Au; At San Martin there is a quartz stockwork in granite and gneiss that opens the possibility to a high volume bulk deposit, in an area 1,250 m x 750 m, on which samples returned up to 1.5 m @ 13.7 gpt Au, 2.0 m @ 9.20 gpt Au, 1.0 m @ 7.12 gpt Au, 1.0 m @ 6.7 gpt Au, 1.0 m @ 6.23 gpt Au, 2.0 m @ 5.16 gpt Au, 1.9 m @ 4.1 gpt Au; Represo Seco displays a high-grade sheeted and brecciated quartz system with three generations of quartz, two meters thick and exposed over 65 m, where samples returned up to 0.5 m @ 7.4 gpt Au, 1.9 m @ 6.0 gpt Au, 1.8 m @ 5.1 gpt Au; Cueva del León hosts argillic altered intrusive felsic rocks, with assays of up to 1.1 m @ 4.99 gpt Au, 1.0 m @ 4.28 gpt Au, 1.2 m @ 2.03 gpt Au, 1.5 m @ 1.9 gpt Au. All the areas are strongly anomalous in Pb (up to 1.45%), Zn (up to 0.35%) and Cu (up to 0.12%).
- Vizsla Resources Corp. has started its drilling program at the Pánuco project in Sinaloa. The company plans to drill 14,500 m in 19 prospects, starting with the Vetas Animas corridor. Ten geologists are mapping and sampling in the district at the time being.
- United Sates. Antimony Corp. reported that production testing of the cyanide leach circuit at the Puerto Blanco mill in Guanajuato has begun. “The Los Juarez mineralization is disseminated in jasperoid pipes that are present over a strike length of 3.5 kilometers, up to 1 kilometer in width, and are believed to be continuous below 400 meters”. “A global assay” of shallow drilling, sampling and mill testing is @ 1.09 gpt Au, 102 gpt Ag and 0.65% Sb (or 2.6 gpt AuEq), with individual assays of over 1 Oz/t Au, 47 Oz Ag/t and 10% Sb.
- Hecla Mining Co. released preliminary results for the fourth quarter 2019, including figures from its Mexican operations. At the San Sebastian mine in Durango, 1.9 M Oz Ag, 15,673 Oz Au were produced during 2019, and 422.4 K Oz Ag, 3,897 Oz Au during the fourth quarter. With the Hugh Zone production included, AgEq production for the year is the same as 2018. The mill operated at an average of 479 tpd in 2019.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. announced 2019 production of 454,810 Oz Au (Q4 2019: 125,150 Oz) at El Limón Guajes mine in Guerrero. During the fourth quarter plant throughput averaged 12,120 tpd, with 1,060 tpd ore mined underground and 16,030 tpd ore mined by open pit, with a pit strip ratio of 7.3:1.
- Leagold Mining Corp. reported 2019 production results, including figures from its operations in Mexico. At Los Filos, in Guerrero, quarterly production was 64,028, 44,896, 40,922 and 51,010 Oz Au for the Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 respectively, adding to 200,856 Oz Au in the year. The Los Filos Expansion Feasibility study was completed during the year, commencing expansion during the third quarter.
- Argonaut Gold Inc. informed its mining unit El Castillo, in Durango, is to stop operations in 2022, after 12 year of work. These operations had $900 M of economic impact which includes investments, operation costs and $82 in taxes paid. To date the company has 347 employees and 249 contractors. Starting this month the crushing operations have been decommissioned, impacting on personnel numbers, and another reduction in the labor force will take place in April.
- Endeavour Silver Corp. delivered production reports for the fourth quarter and full year 2019. Gold and silver production decreased 27% in the year, to 38,907 Oz Au, 4.02 M Oz Ag. The El Cubo mine suspended mining operations on Q4 2019, as reserves were exhausted. During the first quarter Endeavour plans to update the Pre-Feasibility Study (PFS) for Terronera, in Jalisco, and deliver an initial Preliminary Economic Assessment (PEA) in Parral, Chihuahua.
- Silver Spruce Resources Inc. closed the first tranche of its non-brokered financing on December 31, 2019, for gross proceeds of $237 K (Pino de Plata, Chihuahua).
- Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd. announced the issuance of common share purchase warrants in connection with the loan agreement of December 2019 between Agnico and Orla Mining Ltd (Camino Rojo, Zacatecas).
- Sierra Metals Inc. announced it has approved a plan to return up to US$30 M to shareholders. Sierra Metals intends to launch a substantial issuer bid pursuant to which the Company will offer to repurchase for cancellation up to US$15 M of its common shares from shareholders for cash (Bolivar and Cusi, Chihuahua).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Prime Mining Corp. updated on work at is Guadalupe de los Reyes project in Sinaloa, pointing its aim to become a gold producer. The acquisition was completed in August 2019, the due diligence concluded, a team was assembled, and an initial financing of CAD$8.7 M and USD$4.5 M of property payments were made, with only a payment of USD$1.5 M remaining, due October 2021. The long term land access agreement was signed and led to the implementation of 5,000 m of road cut and trenching that aided defining wider and longer structures than anticipated. The project is being evaluated at a mining rate of 4,500 tpd of mineralized material from five to seven pit locations, with Prime aiming to make the initial mining permitting submissions during 2020.
- Sierra Metals Inc. updated the mineral resource estimate for its Bolivar mine in Chihuahua. The mineral resource update includes 13,698 m of infill drilling and 41,553 m of exploration drilling, with 11.63 M tonnes @ 0.95% Cu, 18 g/t Ag, and 0.24 g/t Au (or 1.16% CuEq) for a total of 244.3 M Lb Cu, 6.8 M Oz Ag, 90.4 K Oz Au (300.1 M Lb CuEq) as indicated resources, and 16.69 M tonnes @ 0.93% Cu, 17 g/t Ag, 0.30 g/t Au (or 1.16% CuEq) adding to 342.1 M Lb Cu, 9 M Oz Ag, 162.7 K Oz Au (428.1 M Lb CuEq) as inferred resources.
- Discovery Metals Corp. announced results from the last four diamond drill holes at the Cordero project in Chihuahua. The program is designed to look for high grade and to test other areas of the 35,000 ha property. Highlighted intervals comprise: In hole 295, 81.82 m @ 63 gpt Ag, 0.35 gpt Au, 0.9% Pb, 0.9% Zn, including 4.1 m @ 517 gpt Ag, 1.32 gpt Au, 7.6% Pb, 5.7% Zn; 68.1 m @ 117 gpt Ag, 1.96 gpt Au, 1.7% Pb, 1.1% Zn, including 34.7 m @ 200 gpt Ag, 3.04 gpt Au, 2.9% Pb, 1.6% Zn, including 3.7 m @ 512 gpt Ag, 21.52 gpt Au, 6.9% Pb, 0.2% Zn; 11.5 m @ 284 gpt Ag, 0.88 gpt Au, 4.1% Pb, 2.8% Zn; In hole 296, 47.1 m @ 71 gpt Ag, 0.45 gpt Au, 1.0% Pb, 1.2% Zn; 61.6 m @ 42 gpt Ag, 0.39 gpt Au, 0.6% Pb, 0.4% Zn; in hole 294, 94.3 m @ 47 gpt Ag, 0.27 gpt Au, 0.7% Pb, 0.6% Zn; 10.8 m @ 93 gpt Ag, 0.46 gpt Au, 1.3% Pb, 1.2% Zn; in hole 293, 59.9 m @ 37 gpt Ag, 0.06 gpt Au, 0.9% Pb, 1.5% Zn; 4.3 m @ 111 gpt Ag, 0.10 gpt Au, 2.2% Pb, 2.9% Zn. “Discovery believes that definition of these veins has the potential to significantly enhance the high-grade component of the deposit”.
- Azure Minerals Ltd. recommenced reverse circulation drilling (RC) at its Alacrán project in Sonora. The program is aimed at resource expansion of the Loma Bonita deposit, which currently extends for 600 m, and is up to 200 m in width and up to 100 m in depth. Early drilling is located east of two holes that intersected 47.2 m @ 2.79 gpt Au, 33, gpt Ag and 67.1 m @ 1.56 gpt Au, 23 gpt Ag. Drilling is also planned on Cerro San Simon, where previous drilling has intercepted up to 29.6 m @ 0.56 gpt Au, 27 gpt Ag; 12.6 m @ 0.37 gpt Au, 8 gpt Ag; 63.0 m @ 0.47 gpt Au, 27 gpt Ag.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd. entered into a non-binding Letter of Intent (LOI) with First Majestic Silver Corp. to acquire the 8,514 ha Plomosas silver project in Sinaloa. The terms of the transaction are expected to include a $100 K cash payment to First Majestic and a 2% NSR royalty to First Majestic, with 1% of the NSR subject to a buyback option for $1 M, and the issuance of 19.9% of the total issued common shares of Goldplay. In December 2019 Goldplay announced another LOI with Mako Mining Corp. on a significant land position in the region (San Marcial, Sinaloa).
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd. announced name change to GR Silver Mining Ltd., effective January 13, 2020 (San Marcial, Sinaloa).
- Oroco Resource Corp. registered at the Public Registry of Mining (Registro Público de Minería) the transfer of the seven core concessions of the Santo Tomás copper porphyry project to Xochipala Gold, S.A. de C.V., which is now the registered holder of 100% interest on these concessions. Oroco “holds an irrevocable option to acquire, via the ownership of Altamura Copper Corp., a net 56.7% interest in the collective 1,172.9 ha seven core concessions of the Santo Tomás Project in NW Mexico, and may increase that majority interest up to a net 81.0% interest with project investment of up to CAD$30 million”. The company also holds a 77.5% interest in 7,807.9 ha of mining concessions surrounding the previously mentioned core claims.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Peñoles open to support the reactivation of agriculture in Naica, directly cooperating with the Naica ejido (communal land) by providing the pumping equipment and its maintenance. The water is to be extracted from the Naica mine, in care and maintenance for the last five years.
- Peñoles organizes a robot building contest (FIRST robotics competition), supporting more than 1,500 students. The event is to take place in the Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey, on the Torreon Campus.
- Endeavour Silver summarized its sustainability work for 2019, which includes: 1) Guanacevi, Bolañitos and El Cubo received the annual “Socially Responsible Company” distinction from CEMEFI (Mexican Philanthropy Center); 2) Ceased operations at the El Cubo Mine in a collaborative manner with the employees, provided a social plan to mitigate risks and addressed community concerns resulting from the suspension of mining operations. 3) Made community donations including a recreational sports facility at El Cubo and partnered with the local Municipal Government to open a cultural community center at Bolañitos. 4) Carried out a Social Impact Study at Parral to identify and address important issues to the local community. 5) Continued to engage with the surrounding communities of the Terronera Project including San Sebastian Del Oeste, San Felipe De Hijar, and Santiago De Pinos, and hosted multiple events and programs during 2019 to which over 1,000 locals attended. 6) Invested in its scholarship program at Guanacevi, Bolañitos and El Cubo, benefitting over 100 students from high school and university levels. 7) The Company planted 52,000 trees to reclaim disturbed ground at all its mines and projects.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below: sheeted quartz veining in an orogenic gold system of Oaxaca. Picture by Jorge Cirett.
Advance Gold Corp. (TSXV: AAX) (“Advance Gold” or “the Company”) is pleased to provide a drilling update for its Tabasquena Project in Zacatecas, Mexico. Having completed the first drill-hole into the large chargeability anomaly identified in the company’s recent 3D Induced Polarization (IP) surveys on its Tabasquena project, the company has now commenced the drilling of a second hole.
Mn-Fe/calcite fault-bx in rhyolitic tuffs.
By Miguel A Heredia
During the first week of the year (December 31st to January 05th, 2020), at least 19 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with six announcing financial rounds, three disclosing deals and corporate issues, three commenting on Mexican issues, two communicating production results, two reporting on resources and development of their projects, two discussing issues on social responsibility, and one informing on exploration results. ON MEXICO ISSUES, La Caridad mine in Sonora, one of the most precious jewels of the Mexican mining. Lithium can turn Mexico into the planet´s rechargeable battery. Mexico announced USD $4.65B in capital expenditure for new mining projects in 2020-2021. ON EXPLORATION, In Jalisco, GoGold filed a NI 43-101 Technical Report on its Los Ricos project. ON MINING, Telson reported some of the reactivation activities carried out at its Campo Morado mine in Guerrero to bring it back into production by mid January 2020. Newmont Goldcorp provided an outlook for the year 2020 on its Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas. ON FINANCING, Sonoro Metals received proceeds of $875K from the sale to Agnico of the 1% NSR on the Chipriona property in Sonora. First Mexican closed the third tranche of its private placement for gross proceeds of $95K (Guadalupe project, Sonora). Great Panther announced USD $10M concentrate prepayment (Guanajuato mine complex, Guanajuato). Telson announced its intention to conduct a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to CAD $3M (Campo Morado mine, Guerrero). SilverCrest announced that SSR mining elected to exercise its SilverCrest equity participation with CAD $13.25M private placement (Las Chispas project, Sonora). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Sierra Metals updated mineral resource estimate for its Bolivar mine in Chihuahua. Leagold announced expansion plans for its Los Filos mine in Guerrero. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Prospero sold its Mexican subsidiary Minera Fumarola S.A. de C.V. to an arm’s length purchaser, Aquatio S.A. de C.V. of Jalisco State, Mexico (Pachuca SE project, Hidalgo). Equinox Gold and Leagold mailed management information in order to approve business combination and create a premier Americas Au producer (Los Filos mine, Guerrero). Goldgroup provided a legal update on its dispute with DynaResources concerning the San Jose de Gracia mine in Sinaloa. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Fresnillo plc created more than 9,000 jobs in 2019. Zacatecas students created a protective device for miners to reduce accidents.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- La Caridad mine in Sonora, owned by the Grupo Mexico, is one of the most precious jewels of the Mexican mining. Its activity dates back to the pre-Hispanic era, but which had its greatest boom in the early twentieth century and that today is recognized in the history of our country as a factor of advancement and economic development for all Mexicans. Today it is the best integrated mine in the world, a mine where Cu is split and extracted for plate refinement. But this is not the only thing that is exploited in La Caridad, because large quantities of refined Au and Ag are also obtained, as well as Moly, a metal highly prized for its ability to create alloys with steel. But beyond its metallurgical production, La Caridad is also important for the entire region and the surrounding villages, as the mine generated multiple infrastructure works, thus generating a chain of well-being for its inhabitants. Developing new schools, cultural, sports facilities, housing, personnel transport systems and a supply network for workers, known as the “miner’s stores”, in addition to thousands of direct and indirect jobs.
- Lithium can turn Mexico, in the planet´s chargeable battery. After one of the biggest Li deposit was discovered in Sonora by Bacanora, a Canadian mining company. The technology industry has set its sights on the country with multiple requests from mining companies that want to exploit it, including Chinese corporations. Given this news, the head of the SEMARNAT, Victor Manuel Toledo, described the potential that this represents for Mexico in terms of tax collection and economic recovery, saying that worldwide Lithium has become “the new oil.” Bacanora, in collaboration with the Chinese Ganfeng already plans to raise at least USD $400M to request a license from the Mexican government for the exploitation of a Li quarry allegedly made up of 4.5 M tonnes of this element that has detected, which would later generate profits for these companies of at least USD $1B.
- Mexico announced USD 4.65B in capital expenditure for new mining projects in 2020-2021. A series of mining companies will commence to build various mining projects in Mexico in 2020. Minera Alamos, expects to initiate construction of its Santana-Los Verdes project in Sonora in Q1, 2020 with an investment of USD $7.55M, which includes the construction of a coal plant, platforms, ponds and various earthworks at the mine site. The complex should start producing in Q3, 2020. It also plans to begin construction of its la Fortuna mine in Durango at the end of 2020 at a total cost of USD $26.9M. Torex Gold Resources Inc., expects to start the construction of its Media Luna mine in Guerrero in Q1, 2021, with a capital expenditure of USD $482M. Media Luna has a capacity of 47M Lb Cu, 170K Oz Au, and 1.7M Oz Ag per year. Prime Mining Corp., plans to begin construction of its Los Reyes project in Sinaloa in June 2021 and end in December of the same year. The capital expenditure of the project is set as USD $89.5M and its capacity is 35K Oz Au and 253K Oz Ag per year, with a useful mine life of 11 years. VVC Exploration Corp., owns the USD $4B Samalayuca copper project in Chihuahua. Samalayuca, currently awaiting a construction decision, has an estimated useful mine life of 16 years. Southern Copper Corporation, is the owner of Mina Pilares in Sonora, which will produce Cu in concentrates to be processed in the La Caridad mine. Mina Pilares, currently awaiting a construction decision, should start producing in H2, 2021. Southern reported that it has already obtained environmental permits and is currently trying to acquire additional land.
- GoGold Resources Inc., filed a NI 43-101 Technical Report on its Los Ricos project in Jalisco. Work done by GoGold confirms that the drilling program continues to intersect wide zones of Au & Ag from surface to vertical depths of 300m. The Los Ricos deposit is still open along strike to the north and at depth. It also concludes that although high-grade portions of the vein have been mined out, the structures still have wide mineralized intervals potentially amenable to surface mining methods. A budget of USD $5.3M was proposed to continue the exploration work at Los Ricos project in Jalisco for the year 2020. The company also announced that plans to complete an NI 43-101 compliant Mineral Resource Estimate on Los Ricos in 2020.
- Telson Mining Corporation, reported some of the reactivation activities carried out at its Campo Morado mine in Guerrero to bring it back into production by mid January 2020. The company has already restored electrical power to the mine site, and personnel have commenced dewatering the mine. Access has been restored to the El largo Zone where there are approximately 50K tonnes of ore available to transport to the mill site that along with 20K tonnes of ore previously transported to the mill will be available for processing upon start-up. Personnel are also advancing on the process of checking, servicing, and repairing as necessary, all mill processing equipment, mobile mining equipment, underground mining equipment, ventilation systems and safety equipment, etc.
- Newmont Goldcorp, provided a 2020 outlook for its Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas. It plans to produce 575K Oz Au at a cash cost of $570 per Oz Au and AISC of $725 per Oz Au. In addition, the company plans to produce 30 M Oz Ag, 200M Lb Pb, and 425M Lb Zn, at a cash cost of $515 per Oz AuEq and AISC of $805 per Oz AuEq.
- Sonoro Metals Corp., received proceeds of $875K from the sale to Agnico of the 1% NSR on the Chipriona property, located in the Mulatos mining district in Sonora. The NSR originated from the sale of the Chipriona property to Agnico in December 2019 for the amount of $4M plus the NSR.
- First Mexican Gold Corp., closed the third tranche of its private placement for gross proceeds of $95K. In total, the company issued 20M shares for gross proceeds of $1M (Guadalupe project, Sonora).
- Great Panther Mining Limited, entered into a USD $10M prepayment agreement with the IXM Group for 100% of the Au-Ag concentrates produced from the Guanajuato mine complex in 2020 and 2021. The prepayment will be repaid on December 31, 2020 and will bear interest at an annual rate of 3-month USD LIBOR plus 5%.
- Telson Mining Corporation, announced its intention to conduct a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to CAD $3M (Campo Morado mine, Guerrero).
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., announced that SSR Mining elected to exercise its shareholder participation right, pursuant to an agreement between the company and SSR Mining dated November 28, 2018. Accordingly, SSR Mining has agreed to purchase 1,819,074 shares of SilverCrest for aggregate proceeds of CAD $13.25M at the same price of CAD $7.28 as the bought deal public offering announced by SilverCrest on December 3, 2019. SSR entered into a transaction with a third party to divest of the 1,819,074 SilverCrest common shares to be acquired pursuant to the private placement at a price of CAD $8.45 per common share for a pre-tax gain of approximately CAD $2.1M. Net proceeds raised by SilverCrest will be used to continue exploration and development of its Las Chispas project in Sonora.
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Sierra Metals Inc., updated mineral resource estimate for its Bolivar mine in Chihuahua. This mineral resource update includes 13,698m of infill drilling and 41,553m of exploration drilling. Total indicated mineral resources are 11.63M tonnes of 0.95% Cu, 18 g/t Ag, and 0.24 g/t Au (or 1.16% CuEq) for a total of 244.3M Lb Cu, 6.8M Oz Ag, and 90.4K Oz Au (300.1M Lb CuEq). Total inferred mineral resources are 16.69M tonnes of 0.93% Cu, 17 g/t Ag, and 0.30 g/t Au (or 1.16% CuEq) for a total of 342.1M Lb Cu, 9M Oz Ag, and 162.7K Oz Au (428.1M Lb CuEq). Sierra Metals plans to update a PEA for the Bolivar mine which is expected to be released in Q3, 2020. Goal of the PEA is to increase tonnage throughput in excess of 5,000 tonnes per day, which is expected to be reached by the end of 2020.
- Leagold Mining Corporation, announced a USD $180M expansion plans for its Los Filos mine in Guerrero. Expansion began in July, with the final phase of development scheduled to conclude by end-2021. The Los Filos expansion will play a key role to consolidate the recently merged Equinox-Leagold combined company as a producer of 1M Oz Au per year in 2021, based on output from current mines in Brazil, Mexico and USA. This expansion will position Los Filos mine as one of the Mexico´s biggest Au mines, combining underground and open pit operations across the Los Filos, Bermejal and Guadalupe deposits. The expansion is expected to roughly double production at Los Filos in 2021 from around 200K Oz Au produced in 2019 to 400K Oz Au.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Prospero Silver Corp., sold its Mexican subsidiary Minera Fumarola S.A. de C.V. to an arm’s length purchaser, Aquatio S.A. de C.V. of Jalisco State, Mexico, for a cash purchase price of USD 5K, and assumption of all statutory liabilities and obligations of the subsidiary in Mexico, including property maintenance and abandonment, statutory employee severance, and tax obligations, estimated to aggregate to USD $95K.
- Equinox Gold Corp., and Leagold Mining Corporation, mailed management information to approve business combination to create a premier Americas Au producer. “Pursuant to the transaction, Leagold shareholders will receive 0.331 of an Equinox Gold share for each Leagold share held. At closing, existing Equinox Gold and Leagold shareholders will own approximately 55% and 45% of the combined company, respectively, on an issued share basis. The combined company will continue as Equinox Gold under the ticker symbol “EQX” on both the Toronto Stock Exchange and the NYSE American Stock Exchange” (Los Filos mine, Guerrero).
- Goldgroup Mining Inc., provided a legal update on its dispute with DynaResources concerning the San Jose de Gracia mine in Sinaloa. It is awaiting the written judgment of the 11th Federal Circuit Collegiate Court in Mexico to be published to assess its contents and reason for judgment. The Company will continue to pursue all legal avenues in Mexico to achieve a favorable resolution to the DynaUSA dispute. It also will continue the enforcement of the final judgment from the US District Court for the District of Colorado which confirmed the company´s previously announced favorable award in the arbitration against DynaUSA.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Fresnillo plc., generated more than 9,000 jobs in 2019. The company is making every effort to be competitive, to continue generating jobs for Fresnillo and generate economic benefits for the population.
- Zacatecas students, created a protective device for miners to detect risk of fatigue, heart rate and blood pressure. The intelligent device called EPIMIN is set inside the hard hat of the miners to detect fatigue of the miners, based on heart rate, blood pressure, and temperature, with the variable that, in case of presenting any irregularity, the device will issue a sensory alert to the user and will alert a monitoring center located on surface with the person in charge. “An investment in technology like this will allow mining companies to control work risks, anticipate them, prevent them and get to the longed for zero accidents.”
On the picture above, a Mn-Fe/calcite fault-bx hosted in rhyolites in a prospect in Chihuahua, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.
Advance Gold Corp. (TSXV: AAX) (“Advance Gold” or “the Company”) is pleased to report a drilling update for the first hole into a large chargeability anomaly identified in recent 3D Induced Polarization (IP) geophysical surveys on its Tabasquena project in Zacatecas, Mexico. Two phases of IP surveys identified a 1000 metres by 500 metres continuous chargeability anomaly. The drill hole encountered a 78 metres sulphide zone with disseminated to massive sulphides associated with quartz from 226.00 to 304.00 metres. At the bottom of the hole from 405.00 to 415.00 metres is a second 10 metre zone of quartz veins with disseminated sulphides in the andesites surrounding the quartz veins. Samples from both of these zones have been submitted for assaying.
By Miguel A Heredia
During the fifty-one week of the year (December 16th to December 22th, 2019), at least 28 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with nine announcing financial rounds, seven disclosing deals and corporate issues, five discussing social issues, four reporting on resources and developments of their properties, two communicating production and financial results, and one commenting on Mexican issues. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Mexico mining production showed signs of recovery. ON EXPLORATION, no relevant news. ON MINING, Starcore presented production and financial results for the second quarter ended October31, 2019 from its San Martin mine in Queretaro. Premier provided a year end operations update (Mercedes mine, Sonora). ON FINANCING, Defiance extended its loan until December 21, 2020 for a balance of $1.2 M (San Acacio project, Zacatecas). Alamos Gold announced renewal of a normal course issuer bid, and an increase of a credit facility from USD $400M to USD $500M (Mulatos mine, Sonora). Orla finalized a credit agreement for USD $125M for the development of its Camino Rojo project in Zacatecas. First Mining closed a non-brokered flow-through equity financing for $2M (San Ricardo project, Sonora). SilverCrest closed a CAD $92M bought deal financing, including CAD $12M over allotment option exercised in full (Las Chispas project, Sonora). Golden Minerals sold two non-strategies Mexican exploration properties to Industrias Peñoles for $3M. Mexus paid off two loan agreements which were coming due (Santa Elena mine, Sonora). Mithril announced its plan to raise up to A$4.9M by way of an entitlement issue to shareholders (Copalquin project, Durango). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Argonaut presented a positive PFS for its Cerro Del Gallo project in Guanajuato, and increased company´s mineral reserves by 48%. Coeur provided an update on its exploration program at Palmarejo mine in Chihuahua. Azure commenced a 7,000m RC resource expansion drilling at its Loma Bonita deposit in Sonora. Industrias Peñoles commenced extraction and grinding tests at its Capela mine (former Rey de Plata mine) in Teloloapan, Guerrero. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Discovery Metals announced the appointment of its new VP of Corporate Development and Investor Relations (Cordero project, Chihuahua). Equinox Gold and Leagold entered into a definitive agreement to combine in an at-market merge (Los Filos mine, Guerrero). Goldplay entered into a letter of intent agreement with Mako Mining Corp., to acquire 100% of the shares of Marlin Gold Mining Ltd. (San Marcial project, Sinaloa). Oroco presented results from its special annual general meeting for shareholders (Santo Tomás project, Sinaloa). Prize Mining announced the resignation of its CEO and the appointment of its replacement (Manto Negro project, Coahuila). Mithril entered into an exclusive option agreement to acquire all the issued share capital of Sun Minerals Pty Ltd., which holds an exclusive option to earn up to 100% interest in the high grade Copalquin Au & Ag project in Durango. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Zacatecas Mining Cluster held its second Talent Meeting with participation greater than the 30 people who previously registered to participate in the event. Ladies Committee of the AIMMGM and Outlet Minero promoted the environmental education in Zacatecas. Grupo Mexico participated in the conference of preventive culture in San Luis Potosi. Minera Peñasquito held Christmas celebration in Mazapil, Zacatecas. It also informed about the progress of the social programs that the mining company performs in the 25 communities of direct influence.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Mexico mining production, showed signs of recovery, at a time when companies move forward with their efforts to face the problems that hinder operations in a series of large mines. General production increased 1.0% in October compared to the same month last year, led by increases in Pb, Zn, and Ag, according to the INEGI statistics agency. The October increase was largely due to the improvement experienced by three metals. Pb production increased 22.7% to 26.1M Lb, Zn production rose to 12.2% to 78.5M Lb, and Ag production rose to 11.6% to 10.3M Oz. The hike occurs despite a major disruption during October at the Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas, one of Mexico’s largest producers of Au, Ag, Pb, and Zn.
- No relevant news.
- Starcore International Mines Ltd., presented production and financial results for the second quarter ended October 31, 2019 from its San Martin mine in Queretaro. It milled 54,100 tonnes of 1.78 g/t Au and 34 g/t Ag to produce 2,700 Oz Au and 31.1K Oz Ag (3,100 Oz AuEq), at a cash cost of USD $71 per tonne milled or USD $1,259 per Oz AuEq, and AISC of USD $1,527 per Oz AuEq Starcore had Au & Ag sales of CAD $ 5.8M, a loss of CAD $1.1M, or CAD $0.02 per share, and an EBITDA of (CAD $342) for the six months period ended October 31, 2019.
- Premier Gold Mines Limited, provided a year-end operations update. The company reported that the successful 2019 drill campaign resulted in the discovery of higher-grade zones located near existing mine workings, and plans are emplaced to benefit from them. Also, it plans to enter in identified near-mine areas in the Lupita extension and Marianas in order to multiple the numbers of headings and stopes, allowing for more flexibility and increased production. At the end of Q3, 2019, year-to-date mine production totaled 47.6K Oz Au and 146.5K Oz Ag, with total co-product cash costs of $973 per Oz Au and co-product AISC of $1,226 per Oz Au.
- Defiance Silver Corp, announced that it has extended the loan for an additional year until December 21, 2020, with a reduction of $500K. The balance on extension is $1.2M at a rate of 10% per year (San Acacio project, Zacatecas).
- Alamos Gold Inc., announced its intention to make a normal course issuer bid permitting Alamos to purchase for cancellation up to 28.7M class A common shares, representing 10% of the company´s public float of the common shares as of December 11, 2019, being 287.3M common shares issued and outstanding. The price for any repurchased common shares will be the prevailing market price at the time of the purchase. All common shares purchased by Alamos will be cancelled. In addition, the company increased the size of a credit facility from USD $400M to USD $500M on more favourable terms. “The increase in our facility on more attractive terms is a reflection of the increased scale of Alamos as well as our strong operating and financial outlook. Combined with our existing cash, this further strengthens our financial flexibility with no debt and nearly US$700 million of available liquidity,” said Jamie Porter, Chief Financial Officer (Mulatos mine, Sonora).
- Orla Mining Ltd., finalized a credit agreement for USD $125M for the development of its Camino Rojo project in Zacatecas. The credit comprises three tranches: an initial tranche for USD $25 M once the agreement is closed and two subsequent tranches for USD $50M each available once Orla satisfies certain conditions, including the receipt of key permits required for the development of Camino Rojo. After the closing of the credit facility, the board of directors has approved the start of construction spending at Camino Rojo, allowing the continuation of detailed engineering and the ordering of long lead items, such as the crushing system. Commencement of project construction has also been approved, subject to receipt of all required permits. By the way, SEMARNAT has granted to Orla the approval of the change of land use permit, one of the two key permits required for the development of its project.
- First Mining Gold Corp., closed a non-brokered flow-through equity financing for $2M. Gross proceeds will be used to fund exploration programs of their mining properties (San Ricardo project, Sonora).
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., closed a CAD $92M bought deal financing, including CAD $12M over allotment option exercised in full. Gross proceeds will be used to continue the exploration and development of its Las Chispas project in Sonora.
- Golden Minerals Company, sold two non-strategies Mexican exploration properties to Industrias Peñoles for $3M. The Mogotes and Pistachon properties are located near the Velardeña mine in Durango. None of the claims contain any identified mineral resources. The cash received will be used to advance key exploration projects in Mexico and Nevada.
- Mexus Gold US, paid off two loan agreement which were coming due. The company does not have the funds to hire additional crew to run all aspects of the mine continuously, so it is seeking the necessary funds by selling a portion of its non-producing properties, selling equipment not needed at the mine site, and/or funding from its shareholder base. It also is considering selling a small royal interest in its Santa Elena mine in Sonora.
- Mithril Resources Ltd., announced its plan to raise up to A$4.9M by way of an entitlement issue to shareholders. Net proceeds will be used to complete a drilling program at Copalquin project, Durango, and to continue work on the company´s existing projects.
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Argonaut Gold Inc., presented a positive PFS for its Cerro Del Gallo project in Guanajuato. It increased company´s mineral reserves by 48%, and measured and indicated Au mineral resources by 36%. The project has 91,754,000 tonnes of 0.56 g/t Au, 13 g/t Ag, and 0.09% Cu to contain a total of 1.64M Oz Au, 39.1M Oz Ag, and 192.15M Lb Cu. Metallurgical recoveries are 60%, 53%, and 43% respectively. Cerro Del Gallo is a low-cost asset, with estimated cash cost of $597 per Oz Au sold and AISC of $677 per Oz Au sold. The project has an after-tax internal rate of return of $20% and a NPV at a 5% discount rate of $175M, assuming metal prices of $1,350 for Oz Au and $16.75 for Oz Ag. Argonaut plans to produce as an average 64K Oz Au, 1.3M Oz Ag, and 5.4M Lb Cu per year, and has estimated a life of mine of 15.5 years.
- Coeur Mining Inc., provided an update on its exploration program carried out at its Palmarejo mine in Chihuahua, which has been focused on resource expansion drilling. Highlights from the 2019 drilling campaign at Palmarejo includes positive infill results at the western and southern portions of the Guadalupe mine complex, including hole DC3-ZPA-0010 with 12.8 g/t Au and 1,047 g/t Ag over 5.7m; new resource expansion intercepts from the northern portion of the Independencia mine complex, including hole VIDH-120, with 1.5 g/t Au and 179 g/t Ag over 9.3m; and new resource expansion intercepts from the northeastern most portion of the Independencia mine complex, with hole BVDH-039 with 1.1 g/t Au and 165 g(/t Ag over 5m. “Coeur’s geologic team also expanded its footprint in the district by mapping and sampling exposures of new veins southwest and northeast of the two underground mining complexes as well as new veins west and east of the legacy open pit mine. Coeur expects to seek drill permits for several new areas in 2020 based on positive surface trace-element geochemistry and alteration results”.
- Azure Minerals Limited, commenced a 7,000m RC resource expansion drilling program at its Loma Bonita deposit in Sonora, where a channel sampling in a road returned 3.6 g/t Au over 35.5m. Alacran project includes Mesa de Plata and Loma Bonita deposits. Initial focus is on growing the Alacran Au & Ag resource of 32.2M Oz Ag and 150K Oz Au. Loma Bonita deposit is open for expansion in most directions with good drill intersections of Au including hole MDPC-131 with 2.8 g/t Au and 33 g/t Ag over 47m; hole MDPC-096 with 1.6 g/t Au and 21 g/t Ag over 67m; and hole MDPC-102 with 1.1 g/t Au and 89 g/t Ag over 44m. In addition, Azure is continuing to undertake reconnaissance and follow-up work throughout the Alacran project where first pass surface sampling of historical dumps returned high grades of Au-Ag and base metals with maximum values of 24.1 g/t Au, 3,675 g/t Ag, 33.5% Pb, 21% Zn, and 2.3% Cu.
- Industrias Peñoles S.A.B.de C.V., commenced extraction and grinding tests at its Capela mine (former Rey de Plata mine) in Teloloapan, Guerrero. Capela mine is expected to begin operations in 2020 with a daily production of 4,500 tonnes per day. According to the general director of Industrias Peñoles, Fernando Alanís Ortega, the mine located in Teloloapan required an investment of USD $340M.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Discovery Metals Corp., announced the appointment of its new VP of Corporate Development and Investor Relations (Cordero project, Chihuahua).
- Equinox Gold Corp., and Leagold Mining Corporation, entered into a definitive agreement to combine in an at-market merge, creating one of the top Au producing companies operating entirely in the Americas. The combined entity will continue as Equinox Gold. “Pursuant to the Transaction, Leagold shareholders will receive 0.331 of an Equinox Gold share for each Leagold share held (the “Exchange Ratio”). This implies at-market consideration of C$2.70 per Leagold common share, using closing prices for both Equinox Gold and Leagold common shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange on December 13, 2019. At closing, existing Equinox Gold and Leagold shareholders will own approximately 55% and 45% of the merged company, respectively, on an issued share basis”. (Los Filos mine, Guerrero).
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd., entered into a letter of intent (LOI) agreement with Mako Mining Corp. to acquire 100% of the shares of Marlin Gold Mining Ltd. (San Marcial project, Sinaloa). Marlin owns, amongst other assets, Oro Gold de Mexico, S.A. de C.V. , a Mexican company that owns the La Trinidad mine facilities, currently being decommissioned. Oro Gold also controls 100% of nine concessions totaling 104,094.5 ha located adjacent to Goldplay’s existing portfolio in the historic Rosario gold-silver Mining District, Sinaloa, Mexico. “Under the LOI, upon payment of $50K by Goldplay to Mako the parties have agreed to a binding exclusivity and non-solicitation period from the signing of the LOI until December 31, 2020, or such later date as the parties may agree, which is binding on the parties. Exclusivity will otherwise terminate on the early of the completion of the proposed acquisition or earlier termination of the LOI or the definitive agreement, as the case may be”. The terms of the transaction are subject to negotiation and will include a nominal cash payment to Mako and the issuance of a small NSR royalty to Mako on the concessions currently owned by Oro Gold. Goldplay will assume all remaining tax liabilities of Oro Gold.
- Oroco Resource Corp., presented results from its special annual general meeting of shareholders (Santo Tomás project, Sinaloa).
- Prize Mining Corporation, announced the resignation of its former CEO and the appointment of the new CEO (Manto Negro project, Coahuila).
- Mithril Resources Limited, entered into an exclusive option agreement to acquire all the issued share capital of Sun Minerals Pty Ltd., which holds an exclusive option to earn up to 100% interest in the high grade Copalquin Au & Ag project in Durango. Copalquin contains 32 known historic Au and Ag underground mines including the La Soledad and El Refugio mines. Historic drilling highlights project’s exploration potential with multiple high-grade drill intercepts including hole UC-03 at el Cometa mine with 45.16 g/t Au and 118 g/t Ag over 17.77m; hole UC-024 at El Refugio mine with 6.54 g/t Au and 140 g/t Ag over 7.9m; and hole MP-07-101 with 28.99 g/t Au and 2,350 g/t Ag over 4.53m.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- The Zacatecas Mining Cluster (CLUSMING), held its second Talent Meeting with participation greater than the 30 people who previously registered to participate in the event. The goal of the Talent Meeting is to identify personnel with the skills and attitudes necessary for certain companies in the mining industry (mines and suppliers or contractors), and be part of a talent group that can be subsequently hired by companies, according to their profiles.
- The Ladies Committee of AIMMGM and Outlet Minero, promoted the environmental education in Zacatecas. Attendees gave a brief talk to the groups about culture for sustainable development, highlighting the importance of carrying out actions such as recycling and reusing objects to make new creations at school and at home. Likewise, about the importance of mining and its presence in objects such as pencils, benches, blackboards, among others, that makes everyday life possible. In this context, the Outlet Minero team organized a Christmas tree contest made with recycling and reused material.
- Grupo Mexico, promoted preventive measures against hydro metereologic phenomena in San Luis Potosi during the conference of preventive culture. Some emergency brigade collaborated in the event with five members, who gave prevention talks with the community of San Luis Potosí and made a demonstration with a fire truck and own safety equipment. SEMARNAT, Civil Protection, and San Luis Potosi Fire Department participated in this conference of preventive measures.
- Minera Peñasquito, held Christmas celebration in Mazapil, Zacatecas, where the company distributed thousand of toys in 25 communities belonging to the mine´s area of influence. “Minera Peñasquito is not just about removing the ore, about removing the Au. The responsible mining that we want to do cannot work without working with the community. For us being part of the community is a priority, throughout the year, with social investment, entrepreneurship or infrastructure works. It’s fundamental, “said Nelson Núñez, sustainability manager at Newmont-Goldcorp”.
- Minera Peñasquito, informed to the community leaders about the progress of the social programs that the mining company performs in the 25 communities of direct influence. Among the programs to be reported, the rehabilitation of houses in Nuevo Peñasco was highlighted in infrastructure, which benefited 22 people from that community, as well as maintenance of roads in Santa Rosa, Cuitláhuac, La Mejorada, Charcos, Cedros y Mesas, as well as the maintenance and operation of wells for human consumption in El Vergel and plants and wells in Mesas, Cedros y Charcos. Regarding social responsibility, the company informed about the project “Together We Left a Legacy” that improves the conditions of educational, social infrastructure and promotes sports. This year furniture was delivered to 17 schools to benefit 1,137 students, as well as Ejidos to benefit 310 people. There was talk of Peñasquito Open Doors, a program that offers guided tours so that members of neighboring communities know about the mining operation. 71 sports academies were also held, supporting 70 teams, with 1,224 beneficiaries where 830 uniforms were delivered. Another important item is the educational scholarships, which grant economic incentives to students from primary to university. There are two types of scholarships: by agreement, which in 2019 allowed the delivery of 411 supports, and scholarships of excellence, which is open call and that this year, benefited 192 students. For the entrepreneurs there is the “Ideas con Valor program”, for the creation and strengthening of micro businesses, which supported 120 families with the participation of 300 people. Through the ‘Local Employment Program”, 765 people from the communities surrounding the operation have been hired, who through specific training were able to develop the capabilities required for the mining operation.
On the picture above, phyllic alteration in an IOCG project in Jalisco, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.