By Jorge Cirett
During the 47th week of the year (November 21st to November 27th, 2022), 14 companies working in Mexico released news on their properties. One company declared share dividends, one more the partial repayment of two loan facilities and one more the intention to settle a debt with shares. Four companies updated on work at its advanced properties. One company announced the agreement to pursue an option in another company’s property. ON MEXICO ISSUES, the AIMMGM pointed that Mexico is a mining country, but that it has neglected to inform of the goods of the trade. Arcelor Mittal announced a significant investment at the Las Truchas iron mine in Michoacan. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Radius Gold informed on work at Maricela. In Chihuahua, Radius Gold updated in work at Amalia and Plata Verde projects, with JV’s partners Pan American Silver and Fresnillo respectively. ON MINING, Discovery Silver, Impact Silver and Guanajuato Silver Company released Q3 2022 production and/or financial results. ON FINANCING, Alamos Gold declared a quarterly dividend per share. Guanajuato Silver Company announced the partial repayment of two loan facilities. Defiance Silver is to settle a $41.9 K debt through the issuance of shares. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Discovery Silver released results from drilling at Cordero, in Chihuahua. GR Silver Mining informed on results from drilling at the SE zone of the San Marcial project in Sinaloa, with an impressive silver intercept of 185.5 m @ 111 gpt Ag. Defiance Silver resumed drilling at the Veta Grande vein system in Zacatecas. Azucar Minerals received results from drilling on the Lithocap target at the El Cobre project in Veracruz. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Vizsla Silver entered into a LOI with Prismo Metals for a strategic investment and right of first refusal for the purchase of Prismo’s Palos Verdes project in Sinaloa.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Andrés Robles Osollo, Vicepresident of government relations of the AIMMGM (Asociación de Ingenieros de Minas, Metalurgistas y Geólogos de México) pointed that México is a mining country, but that the industry has neglected the promotion of the craft and the importance of México on the World production of minerals. México is the leader in silver production, and is within the first ten producers of gold, copper, lead and zinc.
- Arcelor Mittal announced the investment of 3,000 million pesos at Las Truchas mine in Michoacan, to increase the production rate from 1 M tonnes/year to 2.3 M tonnes/year. The company complained on the illegal blockage of the railroad line for three months in 2021 by a teachers Union, and said that they are working closely with the Michoacan government to keep the rails free of blockades.
- Radius Gold Inc. provided an update on the company’s exploration activities at the 10,250 ha Amalia project, in Chihuahua. The JV with Pan American Silver Corp. has completed 23,059 m of drilling in 67 holes on the California, Amalia and El Cuervo vein systems. Recent mapping and sampling extended the target for 1.5 km at California, and several parallel structures were identified. Pan American “has completed its right to earn an initial 65% interest in the Amalia Project by making cash payments to Radius totalling US$1.5 million (paid) and expending US$2 million on exploration over four years (completed). Pan American may earn an additional 10% by advancing the property to preliminary feasibility”.
- Radius Gold Inc. informed on work at the Plata Verde project in Chihuahua. Fresnillo PLC has an agreement since mid-2022 to negotiate an option agreement to earn 70% interest in the project. Since then, Fresnillo has funded US$100 K on the signature of the agreement, paid US$65 in underlying property option payments, paid US$103 K in back taxes and invested US$35 K in the project. Fresnillo has to spend over a four-year period US$5 M in exploration and make option payments to Radius of US$3.1 M which includes US$1.1 M to cover underlying property payments. “Should either Party’s interest fall below 10% interest in NewCo that interest would convert to a 2% NSR”.
- Radius Gold Inc. notified on exploration at its Maricela project in Sonora. The project is 20 km south from the Cananea copper mine, and only a few kilometers from the Loma de Plata silver deposit discovered a few years ago by Azure Minerals. Radius has “mapped and sampled an epithermal silver and gold mineralized vein system extending approximately 1.5km long by 300m wide, within which occurs multiple veins, stockworks and breccias. Vein intersections have exposed widths of up to 25 metres”. Highlighted chip sampling results comprise 3 m @ 4.46 gpt Au, 1,335 gpt Ag; 6 m @ 1.03 gpt Au, 418 gpt Ag; 25.3 m @ 0.31 gpt Au, 62 gpt Ag. Radius is awaiting final registration of the option agreement, as already counts with the drilling permit.
- Discovery Silver Corp. released financial results for the third quarter 2022. Results from the PFS metallurgical testwork program at Cordero in Chihuahua highlighted recoveries in the 90-95% range for Ag, Pb and Zn. The phase II drilling program of close to 80,000 m of drilling in over 250 holes was completed during the quarter. Cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments stood at $55.5 M at the end of the period.
- Impact Silver Corp. announced its financing and operating results for the Q3 2022. During the quarter 39.8 K tonnes were processed at the mill at an average grade of 165 gpt. In response to higher operational costs and lower metal prices, Impact initiated a first round of lay-offs and reduced its exploration spending. “The cash position remains strong at $16.5 million with working capital of $17.6 million”.
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd. provided consolidated production results for the Q3 2022. The consolidated production from the El Cubo Mines Complex in Guanajuato, San Ignacio in Guanajuato and Topia in Durango during the quarter comprised 107.4 K tonnes mined, 107 K tonnes milled at a rate of 1,274 tonnes per day, recovering 88.5% Ag, 86.3% Au, to produce 329.3 K Oz Ag, 3,226 Oz Au, 537.6 K Lb Pb, 677.1 K Lb Zn (700.3 K Oz AgEq).
- Alamos Gold Inc. declared a quarterly dividend of US$0.025 per common share. “The Company has paid dividends for 13 consecutive years during which time $285 million has been returned to shareholders through dividends and share buybacks, including $48 million thus far in 2022” (Mulatos, Sonora).
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd. announced the partial repayment of the two loan/pre-payment facilities with Swiss-based precious metal trading firm OICM Precious Metals S A. “Guanajuato Silver has delivered an aggregate of 96,518 ounces of silver and 846 ounces of gold representing five months’ deliveries of silver and gold ounces to OCIM thereby reducing the total number of monthly delivery payments remaining to OCIM under both facilities to ten” (El Cubo, Guanajuato).
- Defiance Silver Corp. intends to settle $41.9 K of debt through the issuance of common shares of the company (San Acacio, Zacatecas).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Discovery Silver Corp. announced results from 15 drill holes of upgrade and expansion drilling of the proposed open pit, subsequent to the cut-off date for the pre-feasibility study (PFS) on its Cordero project in Chihuahua. Highlighted core length intervals comprise 77 m @ 46 gpt Ag, 0.08 gpt Au, 0.7% Pb, 1.4% Zn; 22 m @ 83 gpt Ag, 0.10 gpt Au, 1.8% Pb, 3.2% Zn; 96 m @ 33 gpt Ag, 0.03 gpt Au, 0.7% Pb, 1.8% Zn (including 36 m @ 44 gpt Ag, 0.04 gpt Au, 0.9% Pb, 3.1% Zn); 43 m @ 62 gpt Ag, 0.11 gpt Au, 1.4% Pb, 1.7% Zn; 52 m @49 gpt Ag, 0.07 gpt Au, 0.8% Pb, 1.7% Zn. “The Company has now completed approximately 17,000 m (52 holes) as part of its Feasibility Study drill program”. Total meters drilled in the project now is over 293,000 m in 735 holes.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd. released surface drilling results from four holes on the Southeast Area of the San Marcial project in Sinaloa. Highlighted core length results comprise 14.1 m @ 186 gpt Ag (including 0.2 m @ 6,405 gpt Ag, 10.1% Pb, 17.9% Zn); 73.5 m @ 72 gpt Ag (including 1.1 m @ 905 gpt Ag and 0.8 m @ 1,039 gpt Ag); 185.5 m @ 111 gpt Ag (including 83.2 m @ 215 gpt Ag); 1.0 m @ 31.3 gpt Au. “The Company expects to complete three more drill holes in the SE Area prior to the December cut-off date for data to be incorporated into the 3D geological model, with the updated resource estimation expected to be released in Q1|2023”.
- Defiance Silver Corp. resumed drilling at the Veta Grande vein system at the Zacatecas project in Zacatecas. “The approximate 4000m program is an extension of the previous phases of drilling, all of which returned high grades down plunge and outside of the current resource estimate”. Drilling is to focus on the recently discovered deep historic working to the East, down plunge of high-grade results below the current resource estimate, the footwall vein north of the main Veta Grande structure and the cross structures and vein splays with mineralization potential.
- Azucar Minerals Ltd. received and compiled results from two holes completed at the Lithocap target at its El Cobre project in Veracruz. “Large intervals of brecciated rock were intersected possibly reflecting a diatreme like body that may have disrupted any earlier porphyry alteration zonation in this area”. No significant intervals of porphyry mineralization were intersected, with the most relevant result being a late sulfide vein which returned 0.7 m @ 0.95% Cu, 0.42 gpt Au.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Vizsla Silver Corp. entered into a non-binding letter of intent (LOI) with Prismo Metals Inc. to make a strategic investment with right for first refusal to Purchase the Palos Verdes property, adjacent to Vizsla’s Panuco project in Sinaloa, and 4 M shares of Prismo for C$2 M. “The consideration for the Strategic Investment will consist of a cash payment of C$500,000 at closing and 1,000,000 common shares of Vizsla”. After completion of the deal VIZSLA will own 12% of Prismo shares on a basic basis and 17% on a partially diluted basis.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Vizsla Silver Corp. exceeded one million consecutive work hours without a lost time incident at its Panuco project in Sinaloa.
- Discovery Silver Corp. released its environmental, social and governance report (ESG) “and subsequent to quarter end received its official ESR Distinction, which is issued by the Mexican Center for Philanthropy to organizations that have demonstrated they operate in a socially and environmentally responsible manner, and its Great Place to Work Certification, which recognizes companies that create an outstanding employee experience through building a workplace culture of trust, credibility, respect, pride and collaboration” (Cordero project, Chihuahua).
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. released its inaugural Climate Change Report with emphasis in carbon emission reduction, and confirmed having received the permitting from SEMARNAT (Environmental regulator) for construction of an 8.7 megawatt solar plant on its mining concessions and the awarding of a contract for battery electric vehicle scoop fleet at its Media Luna project in Guerrero.
On the image below puzzling boudin like siliceous bands in limestone on a project in the Sonoran Desert. Picture by Jorge Cirett.