By Jorge Cirett
During the 37th week of the year (September 13th to September 19th, 2021), at least 19 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, four companies posted exploration advances on their properties, one posted on quarterly reports, three on mining issues, two on financing or shares and seven more on project development or resource definition and one more on a property acquisition. ON MEXICO ISSUES, silver mining investments boosted. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Benjamin Hill Mining filed a NI43-101 technical report on the Benjamin Hill property, and later in the week released gold-rich surface samples assays. In Chihuahua, Mammoth Resources commenced drilling at Tenoriba. In Durango, Canasil Resources presented results from drilling at Nora. ON MINING, Americas Gold and Silver started to recall its workforce at Cosalá in Sinaloa. Starcore International presented its quarterly report. Mexus Gold completed its first substantial gold sale. Tarachi Gold released metallurgical results for El Jabali, in Sonora. ON FINANCING, SilverCrest Metals was included on a top performer list of the TSX. Vizsla Silver completed the spin out of Vizsla Copper. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Argonaut Gold continues to find high-grade gold under El Creston pit at La Colorada in Sonora. Impact Silver bought another drill rig for Zacualpan, in Estado de Mexico. Fabled Silver presented results from surface drill holes at Santa Maria, in Chihuahua. Hecla Mining updated on exploration at San Sebastian, in Durango. GoGold Resources released drilling results from El Favor deposit at its Los Ricos North project. Sonoro Gold presented a PEA on its Cerro Caliche project in Sonora. Golden Minerals released results from 20 RC holes at Rodeo, in Durango. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Tocvan Ventures completed the acquisition of Millrock’s Picacho concessions in Sonora. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Peña Colorada informed on works to benefit inhabitants of three communities in Colima.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Silver mining investments in Mexico boosted by a production shortfall and ecological demand. Mining companies in Mexico are investing in growth on the outlook of silver demand surpassing production in the transition to the abandonment of fossil fuels. Silver use is augmenting in the construction of photovoltaic panels, and is also a key component in the construction of electric vehicles. Silver production has fallen from 899 M Oz in 2016 to 784 M Oz in 2020, although a rebound from the pandemic is estimated at 848 M Oz for 2021. Mexico was the largest silver producer in the world in 2020, with 180 M Oz.
- The AIMMG (Asociación de Ingenieros de Minas, Metalurgistas y Geólogos de México) 2021 conference is to be held in Acapulco, Guerrero, in October 19 to 22.
- Benjamin Hill Mining Corp. filed a NI-43-101 technical report on the Benjamin Hill property in Sonora. There are six active areas of exploration in the 6,000 ha property: Caracahui (high grade Au-Ag-Cu epithermal veins), Caracahui North (specularite bearing veins), Sonora Copper (two wide structures up to 30 m wide, Au-Cu-Ag bearing), La Falsa (stockwork) and La Berrenda (historical mine and Au-Cu in stream sediments). Recommended further work includes completion of surface and underground mapping and sampling, petrography, dating of intrusive rocks, further prospecting and diamond drilling of the most prospective targets.
- Monarca Minerals Inc. completed another three RC holes at its San Jose project in Chihuahua. “all of the drill hole intersected exoskarn and/or endoskarn mineralization with sulfide minerals ….. The sulfide minerals observed were dominantly pyrite, with very fine grained dark sulfide minerals, which appear to be sphalerite and galena in some cases. Chalcopyrite was locally observed”. Results are pending.
- Mammoth Resources Corp. commenced its diamond drilling program at Tenoriba in Chihuahua. Five target zones are to be tested along a 4 km east-west trend incorporating over 3,000 soil, chip and channel samples and 26 prior drill holes. Two rigs are on site to test the targets generated by the 3D modelling of surface and geophysical data.
- Canasil Resources Inc. presented results from the fourth hole of the 2021 follow up drill campaign at Nora, in Durango. Highlighted true width intercepts comprise 11.29 m @ 5.31 gpt Au, 336 gpt Ag, 0.17% Zn, including 1.35 m @ 9.00 gpt Au, 487 gpt Ag and 1.81 m @ 9.54 gpt Au, 729 gpt Ag and 1.81 m @ 9.43 gpt Au, 666 gpt Ag. “The high-grade mineralized bands in core drill holes NRC-21-09 ………. and NRC-21-12 are defining the highest-grade zone of the Candy vein structure, and point to increasing grades and widths to depth, and along strike to the north of the central panel tested to date”.
- Benjamin Hill Mining Corp. released high-grade assay results from the Caracahui and Caracahui North zones at its Benjamin Hill property in Sonora. Highlighted results include 31.4 gpt Au, 1.0% Cu, 31 gpt Ag; 16.2 gpt Au, 16 gpt Ag; 15.9 gpt Au, 0.4% Cu, 3 gpt Ag; 15.1 gpt Au, 0.5% Cu, 139 gpt Ag; 8.5 gpt Au, 1.3% Cu, 18 gpt Ag; 7.5 gpt Au, 34 gpt Ag; 4.8 gpt Au, 1.2% Cu, 109 gpt Ag from Caracahui North, and 31.4 gpt Au, 158 gpt Ag; 15.1 gpt Au, 139 gpt Ag; 4.8 gpt Au, 109 gpt Ag, 4.1 gpt Au, 83 gpt Ag; 3.3 gpt Au, 94 gpt Ag; 2.8 gpt Au, 110 gpt Ag; 2.6 gpt Au, 110 gpt Ag, 0.7 gpt Au, >200 gpt Ag; 0.2 gpt Au, 172 gpt Ag; 0.5 gpt Au, 140 gpt Ag at the Caracahui zone.
- Americas Gold and Silver Corp. started to recall its workers to re-commence operations at its Cosalá operations in Sinaloa.
- Starcore International Mines Ltd. reported results for the quarter ending July 31, 2021. During the period the San Martin mine in Queretaro milled 56.3 K tonnes @ 1.64 gpt Au, 20.9 gpt Ag, recovering 88.3% Au, 52.1% Ag to produce 2.6 K Oz Au, 19.8 K Oz Ag at cash cost 1,177 per Oz AuEq. Cash and short-term investments of $4.9 M at the end of July.
- Mexus Gold US. completed the first substantial sale of gold produced at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora, with 76.5 Oz Au sold.
- Tarachi Gold Corp. released metallurgical test results on samples from its Jabali project in Sonora. Three samples from drill core responded well to cyanide leaching, with an average of 94.8% Au, 48.5% Ag recoveries. “Further metallurgical investigation on representative samples is recommended to better optimize process conditions and determine sample variability.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. announced the company has been included in the Toronto Stock Exchange ‘s 2021 TSX30, a flagship program recognizing the 30 top performing TSX stocks s over a three-year period based on dividend-adjusted share price appreciation. In this period the shares of SilverCrest rose 286% (Las Chispas, Sonora).
- Vizsla Silver Corp. announced the effective date for the spin-out of its British Columbia copper asset to Vizsla Copper Corp. is September 20, 2021 (Panuco, Sinaloa).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Impact Silver Corp. purchased a surface drill rig for exploration at its Royal Mines of Zacualpan project in Estado de Mexico. “This brings the total Company-owned drill fleet to two surface and two underground rigs”.
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp. presented results from three surface drill holes at its Santa Maria project in Chihuahua. All holes intercepted a series of sheeted veinlets and a diorite dike at depth that is thought to be the source of mineralization at depth. The first hole of this release intercepted up to 1.15 m @ 0.51 gpt Au, 26 gpt Ag; the second hole up to 0.40 m @ 0.84 gpt Au, 21, gpt Ag, 0.15% Pb, 0.15% Zn; the third hole up to 0.90 m @ 1.57 gpt Au, 122 gpt Ag, 3.7% Pb, 14.3% Zn, 0.14% Cu. Gold grades appear to increase with depth.
- Hecla Mining Co. update on exploration at its projects, including San Sebastian in Durango. “Drilling completed in the El Bronco vein targeted gaps in the drill data. While we have had good vein widths and grades at the current level of drilling at El Bronco, continuity of grade has been challenging. Analysis of the geochemistry, vein phase stratigraphy, and vein textures all indicate that the current levels of drilling at both the El Bronco and El Tigre veins are high in the epithermal system”.
- GoGold Resources Inc. released the results from eight drill holes from El Favor deposit at Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Highlighted core length intercepts include: 16.3 m @ 0.05 gpt Au, 44 gpt Ag; 0.9 m @ 0.31 gpt Au, 233 gpt Ag; 68.7 m @ 0.12 gpt Au, 71 gpt Ag (including 3.2 m @ 0.88 gpt Au, 431 gpt Ag); 108.0 m @ 0.16 gpt Au, 47 gpt Ag (including 16.1 m @ 0.65 gpt Au, 153 gpt Ag); 73.7 m @ 0.26 gpt Au, 66 gpt Ag (including 2.5 m @ 1.32 gpt Au, 515 gpt Ag); 8.6 m @ 0.15 gpt Au, 67 gpt Ag; 58.8 m @ 0.28 gpt Au, 90 gpt Ag (including 4.8 m @ 1.71 gpt Au, 423 gpt Ag); 48.1 m @ 0.28 gpt Au, 83 gpt Ag (including 3.0 m @ 1.79 gpt Au, 219 gpt Ag); 43.7 m @ 0.17 gpt Au, 56 gpt Ag.
- Sonoro Gold Corp. presented the results of a preliminary economic assessment (PEA) including an updated mineral resource estimate on Cerro Caliche in Sonora. The report envisages: An after-tax NPV (5%) of US$41.5 M with an IRR of 32.4% at US$1,750/Oz Au and US$22/Oz Ag; 7 years of Life of Mine (LOM) producing 325 K Oz AuEq, recovering 74% Au, 27% Ag with crushing to p80 of ½”; initial capex of US$32.2 M; All-In sustaining cost of US$1,462/Oz AuEq. The updated mineral resource estimate for the open pit operation is 26.7 M tonnes @ 0.41 gpt Au, 3.43 gpt Ag on measured and indicated resources and 5.4 M tonnes @ 0.40 gpt Au, 7.34 gpt Ag on inferred resources. The report also notes a range of potential mineralization of 19.2 to 34.4 M tonnes that could contain 204 to 365 K Oz Au, 1.7 to 3 M Oz Ag.
- Golden Minerals Co. released assay results from 20 diamond drill holes and commenced a reverse circulation drill program for resource definition at its Rodeo mine in Durango. Here some of the highlighted intervals: 78.7 m @ 1.06 gpt Au, 10 gpt Ag (including 13.9 m @ 2.88 gpt Au, 4 gpt Ag); 70.0 m @ 0.56 gpt Au, 6 gpt Ag (including 14.2 m @ 1.07 gpt Au, 15 gpt Ag); 64.4 m @ 0.85 gpt Au, 9 gpt Ag; 26.0 m @ 0.82 gpt Au, 6 gpt Ag; 16.8 m @ 0.74 gpt Au, 7 gpt Ag; 29.1 m @ 0.58 gpt Au, 6 gpt Ag; 47.0 m @ 0.58 gpt Au, 3 gpt Ag; 27.5 m @ 0.64 gpt Au, 2 gpt Ag; 31.6 m @ 0.39 gpt Au; 34.6 m @ 0.73 gpt Au, 4 gpt Ag. “Drilling has intersected several wide zones of disseminated gold mineralization and has identified several additional high-grade zones that appear to be hosted in a series of silicified structures running parallel to the high-grade gold zones currently being mined”.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Tocvan Ventures Corp. completed their due diligence process and executed the final agreement to acquire Millrock’s Resources option to acquire up to 100% interest in the 2,414 ha Picacho mining concessions in Sonora. Tocvan must make payments of US$1.99 M to the underlying private concession owners over a five-year term to acquire 100% interest.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Peña Colorada informed on works to benefit inhabitants of three communities in Colima.
On the image below: Bladed calcite replacement form a project in northern Sonora. Picture by Jorge Cirett.