During the 51st week of the year (December 18th to December 24th, 2017), at least 17 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. ON MEXICO ISSUES: The illegal blockade promoted by the Los Mineros Union since November 3, 2017 is showing how far the government is willing to go, or not, to establish the rule of law. ON EXPLORATION: two press releases from companies working in Mexico informed on exploration efforts during the week: In Chihuahua Radius Gold released good rock chip results from its Amalia project. In Sinaloa Gainey Capital is exploring the La Minita porphyry copper style property. ON MINING: Great Panther announced government authorization for the construction of a second tailings storage facility at its Topia mine in Durango. Mexus Gold produced gold with a Merrill Crowe system installed at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora. Americas Silver announced the San Rafael mine at its Cosala complex is now on commercial production. ON FINANCING: Telson Resources entered into a US$15 M loan with Trafigura. SilverCrest completed a bought deal private placement for $10 M. Primero Mining agreed on an extension to its revolving credit facility. Torex Gold received a waiver to lower the threshold in the credit agreement from $50 M to $30 M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT: In Sonora, Oceanus Resources presented an update on the drilling of its El Tigre property. In Chihuahua, Consolidated Zinc announced the interception of massive sulfides on the Tres Amigos zone of its Plomosas property. In Puebla, Almaden released new results from follow-up drilling at its Tuligtic property. In Guerrero, Alio Gold provided the final results of the confirmation drilling at its Ana Paula project. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Torex Gold suspended its workforce employment contracts on the basis of the illegal blockade that has halted all operations since November 3rd at its El Limon-Guajes mine in Guerrero. The company has made a call to the relevant authorities to remove the illegal blockade (which seems to have fallen on deaf ears). Orex Minerals, Canasil Resources and Pan American Silver signed an agreement to advance the Sandra Escobar project in Durango, same that includes provisions for Pan American participation on the discovery. Gainey Capital signed a LOI to acquire the La Minita property in Sinaloa. Marlin Gold can now spin-off its subsidiary Sailfish Royalty. Vangold is acquiring the San Carlos claim in Guanajuato, adjacent to its Pinguico property. Americas Silver agreed with Hochschild to amend the payment schedule on the acquisition of the San Felipe project in Sonora.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- On the Torex Gold El Limon – Guajes mine illegal blockade in Guerrero (Editor’s comment). The illegal blockade promoted by the Los Mineros Union since November 3, 2017 is showing how far the government is willing to go, or not, to establish the rule of law. The Los Mineros Union is clearly trying to extortionate Torex with an illegal blockade to obtain the Union contract at the site, and delaying the date for a formal voting process that the company has vowed to respect.
- Radius Gold Inc. released rock sampling results from its Amalia project in Chihuahua. A new discovery in the San Pedro area returned 13 m @ 2.51 g/t Au, 164 g/t Ag in a continuous chip sample (10 individual samples), while new sampling 50 m above and along strike the Guadalupe zone returned 8 m @ 0.21 g/t Au, 264 g/t Ag. At the Campamento zone a 500×700 m zone of intense silicification and brecciation with massive and stockwork veining is interpreted as high level mineralization. On lower parts of the property sulfide rich fault breccias are hosted in andesites, where mineralization is narrower and higher grade. Epithermal Au-Ag mineralization occurs along 3.5 Km on strike and 600 m of vertical interval. Drill permitting documentation has been submitted.
- Gainey Capital Corp. signed a LOI to acquire the 9,200 hectares La Minita Cu-Au-Ag property in Sinaloa. A series of NW trending shears host porphyry mineralization associated with intermediate and felsic dikes, which are more than 300 m in length and up to 10 m in width. Fine grained sericitic alteration, silicification, quartz stockworks and copper sulfides (bornite, chalcopyrite) as disseminations and veins occur in prospect pits by gambusinos.
- Great Panther Silver Ltd. announced that SEMARNAT granted all permits for construction and operation of the new phase II tailings storage facility at its Topia mine in Durango.
- Mexus Gold US informed that it has produced gold with the installed Merrill Crowe system at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora (not to mistake with First Majestic’s Santa Elena mine, also in Sonora). The Merrill Crowe system will continue to be tested until the end of the year, as mine site security is upgraded before full production begins.
- Americas Silver Corp. announced that the San Rafael mine at the company’s Cosalá operations in Sinaloa is now in commercial production, as of December 19, 2017. Mine production is currently averaging 1,200 tonnes per day (tpd) and increasing.
- Telson Resources Inc. entered into a loan facility and offtake agreement with Trafigura Mexico, S.A. de C.V., to sell 100% of the Pb-Zn concentrate produced at the Tahuehueto mine from January 2018 to December 2022. Trafigura provided Telson with with a US$15 M credit facility deliverable on three tranches: First tranche of US$7.5 M already received; Second tranche of US$5 M, 4 – 6 Months from signing; Third tranche US$2.5 M, 6 – 9 months of signing.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. completed the bought deal private placement previously announced, for gross proceeds of $10 M. The company paid a cash commission of $568 K on the proceeds of the offering.
- Primero Mining Corp. agreed with its lenders to an extension of its revolving credit facility and guarantee provided by Wheaton Precious Metals Corp. to January 11, 2018. Primero is considering the divestiture of its San Dimas mine in Durango.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. has received a waiver by BNP Paribas on behalf of the lenders to lower the covenant threshold in the credit agreement from $50 M to $30 M until January 31, 2018.
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Alio Gold Inc. provided the final results from the 2,000 m drill program to twin previous drill holes within the pre-feasibility pit for metallurgical test at its Ana Paula project in Guerrero. Highlighted intervals comprise: 112.0 m @ 3.85 g/t Au; 33.1 m @ 7.07 g/t Au; 54.6 m @ 7.19 g/t Au. Alio is now to test the extension of the breccia zone below the proposed pit, with a 4,000 m program, commencing in January.
- Almaden Minerals Ltd. provided assay results from a follow-up drilling in an upper portion of the pre-feasibility pit on its Tuligtic property in Puebla. Highlighted drill intercepts comprise: 46.0 m @ 0.74 g/t Au, 26 g/t Ag; 24.0 m @ 0.62 g/t Au, 15 g/t Ag; 16.5 m @ 0.56 g/t Au, 10 g/t Ag; 50.5 m @ 0.73 g/t Au, 11 g/t Ag (including 10.5 m @ 2.45 g/t Au, 24 g/t Ag); 13.15 m @ 0.70 g/t Au, 8 g/t Ag; 32.0 m 0.82 g/t Au, 25 g/t Ag; 14.7 m @ 0.91 g/t Au, 27 g/t Ag; 10.25 m @ 1.16 g/t Au, 26 g/t Ag.
- Consolidated Zinc Ltd. announced that drilling on the Tres Amigos North zone intersected 5.60 m and 4.35 m respectively of massive sulfides. “Assays are pending but visual analysis shows mineralisation comprises banded textured massive sulphides with very fine to fine-grained pyrite overprinted by coarse-grained yellow to reddish sphalerite and minor galena associated with carbonates”. Results are pending.
- Oceanus Resources Corp. completed the fall 2017 drill program which comprised 600 m of diamond drilling to define the strike and dip of the high-grade Caleigh vein and the low-grade alteration zone in the hanging wall. Assays for the last six holes are pending, and expected to be released in January 2018. Work during Q1 2018 is to focus in locating and defining other high-grade vein systems in the property, and begin to look for mineralization on the favorable El Tigre formation over a distance of 5 km.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. informed it has suspended the employment contracts of its workforce in Mexico, a direct result of an illegal blockade at its El Limon-Guajes mine in Guerrero. The blockade by the Los Mineros Union, “an outside union that wants to take over representation of the employees who already have a union. Since the blockade began, on November 3, 2017, the Company has continued to pay its workforce, except for the minority that have participated in the illegal blockade”. Torex has made a call to the relevant authorities to remove the illegal blockade, as they have committed to do, and restore the rule of law. The company is willing to work with the Union the employees select, but it is essential the illegal blockade is lifted to resume work after Christmas. The company stresses that “The risk of violent confrontation continues to escalate and we urge the authorities to restore law and order and diffuse the tensions, so that employees of the Company, contractors, and suppliers, can go back to work and provide for their families.”
- Orex Minerals Inc. signed a non-binding agreement with Canasil Resources Inc. and Pan American Silver Corp. to advance exploration in the Sandra Escobar mining camp in Durango. Under the terms of the LOI (Letter of Intention) the Orex (55%)-Canasil (45%) JV is to grant Pan American a 10% interest in the Sandra property, with the opportunity for Pan American in the next four years to earn-in an additional 41% in the Sandra property by contributing US$5 M toward the operations of both properties, with US$2 M required during the first two years. If Pan American elects not to continue during the earn-in period, the initial 10% will revert back to the Orex-Cansil JV. If Pan American chooses to further advance the properties by completing a pre-feasibility study, it will retain a 60% interest and the Orex-Canasil JV 40%.
- Gainey Capital Corp. signed a LOI with Asteria Mining Services S.A.P.I. de C.V. to acquire 100% of the 9,200 hectares La Minita Cu-Au-Ag property in Sinaloa.
- Marlin Gold Mining Ltd. obtained a final order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia to implement the company’s previously announced plan of arrangement to reorganize its business, including the spin-off of its subsidiary Sailfish Royalty Corp.
- Vangold Mining Corp. entered into an acquisition agreement for a 100% interest on the San Carlos claim, in Guanajuato. The aggregate purchase price of $CDN425 K is to be paid through the issuance of CDN$350 K in Vangold shares and the remaining CDN$75 K will be paid in cash. The San Carlos property is close to Vangold’s El Pinguico and Patito I & II mineral claims.
- Americas Silver Corp. agreed with Minera Hochschild to amend the timing of payment under its option agreement on the San Felipe project in Sonora. The total consideration for a 100% interest in the property is US$15 M in cash (plus VAT), of which US$7 M were paid in March, US$500 K are to be paid on January 2018, US$500 K on April 2018, US$1 M on July 2018 and US$6 M on December 2018.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture below, Fault slickensides on quartzite, Durango. Photo by Jorge Cirett.