By Jorge Cirett
During the 22nd week of the year (May 24th to May 31st, 2020), at least 36 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Francisco Quiroga, subsecretary of mining had a very active week by reviewing personally the health protocols put in place by mining companies in several states, as well as being present on the installation of regional mining committees in a handful of states, before the full re-start of mining operations allowed by the government. BNamericas presented a list of 24 mining projects going ahead in Mexico from 2020 to 2026, with a capital investment of US$7,450 M. Mining companies scrambled on the restart of operations permitted by the government with the inclusion of the industry in the category of essential activities that can operate during the Coronavirus emergency. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Ridgestone Mining resumed activities at its Rebeico project. In Chihuahua, Kootenay Silver released results from drilling at its Columba project; Mammoth Resources announced Centerra is returning for exploration work at its Tenoriba project. In Nayarit, Candente Gold is to rehabilitate underground workings to advance its El Dorado project. In Zacatecas, Defiance Silver delineated several targets at the San Acacio property. ON MINING, Sierra Metals, Impact Silver, Mexus Gold, Fortuna Silver, Gold Resource, Endeavour Silver and Aura Minerals announced the recommencement of activities, following the government easing of restrictions on mining. Impact Silver and Discovery Metals reported first quarter 2020 results. GR Silver Mining is postponing the filing of first quarter 2020 results, under the blanket relief granted by the regulatory authorities in Canada. ON FINANCING, in a pretty busy week, 16 companies made announcements related to their financing. Canasil Resources granted 1.75 M options. Orex Minerals intends to raise up $2 M. Silver Tiger Metals is now trading on the OTCQB quotation system in the US. Vangold Mining accelerated a warrant bonus program in connection with its 2019 private placement. Equinox Gold saw warrants exercised for $145 M. Southern Silver Exploration extended the expiry date of some warrants for two years. Ridgestone Mining is now listed in the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. Aztec Mining engaged a Swiss investor relations firm for European exposure. Vizsla Resources is pursuing a financing round for C$4 M. DynaResources closed a financing agreement for $3.9 M. Minaurum Gold closed its private placement grossing $5 M. Telson closed the second tranche of its private placement for $196.6 K. Golden Tag Announced a non-brokered private placement for up to $1.12 M. Solaris Resources raised C$20 M. Mammoth Resources announced a private placement for up to $131 K. Consolidated Zn intends to raise up to $1.73 M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Mexican Gold Mining is working on the PEA for its Las Minas project in Veracruz. Golden Minerals filed the PEA on Rodeo, Durango. Bacanora Lithium updated on activities to further advance its Sonora Lithium project. Discovery Metals has completed 15,000 m of its 30,000 m phase 1 drill program at its Cordero project in Chihuahua. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Mithril completed the acquisition of Sun Minerals, obtaining thus the Copalquin project in Durango. Candente Gold amended the memorandum of understanding to acquire the El Dorado property and the SDA mill in Nayarit. Sonora Metals published and filed a new version of the Cerro Caliche development report, as requested by the British Columbia Securities Commission. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Minera Peña Colorada, Grupo Mexico, Fresnillo PLC, Minera Real Bonanza and the mining industry in Sonora informed on donations and work realized to aid communities, mainly on subjects related to the Coronavirus emergency, like medical supplies and equipment, comprising also a large array of investments and measures that benefit the mining communities.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Francisco Quiroga, subsecretary of Mining, personally verified the application of safety protocols to re-start operations in mines. Quiroga visited Agnico Eagle’s Pinos Altos, Grupo Mexico’s Santa Barbara and Frisco’s Concheño mines in Chihuahua. He will also review protocols in Durango, Zacatecas and Coahuila.
- The fourth virtual personnel hiring session was held by La Cantera Desarrollos Mineros in Zacatecas.
- The silver price has seen its strongest monthly growth in almost seven years. Prices have reached up to $17.69 per ounce.
- The Regional Committee for the Development of Mining Zones was constituted in Durango.
- Mining Companies are to re-start operations on June 1, 2020. Dozens of mining companies prepare to re-commence mining and processing activities, reviewing its health and work protocols.
- The Regional Committee for the Development of Mining Zones was installed in Zacatecas. The governor Alejandro Tello, the Camimex president, Fernando Alanís and the Mining subsecretary Francisco Quiroga were in the event that also saw the presence of representatives of Fresnillo PLC, Industrias Peñoles, Minera Frsico, Capstone Gold, Excellon Resources, Newmont, Aura Minerals, Arian Silver, Grupo Mexico, Impulsora Minera Santacruz, First Majestic, Grupo Minera Candelaria, Minera Camino Rojo, and Minas de San Nicolás.
- The subsecretary of Mining Francisco Quiroga reviewed the sanitary procedures of Minera El Roble.
- Peñasquito restarted operations in Zacatecas, after the review of the health protocol by Francisco Quiroga, subsecretary of mining.
- Bnamericas presented a list of mining projects going forward in 2020-2026 with a capital investment of US$7,450 M, notwithstanding the pandemic induced stoppages. A total of 24 projects would increase the annual production by 1.5 M Oz Au, 33 M Oz Ag and 247 K tonnes Cu to 2026.
- Kootenay Silver Inc. released results from four more drill holes at its Columba project in Chihuahua. Highlighted core length intervals comprise: 1.06 m @ 259 gpt Ag; 7.0 m @ 124 gpt Ag (including 3.6 m @ 197 gpt Ag); 2.8 m @ 762 gpt Ag (including, 1.0 m @ 2,010 gpt Ag); 10.2 m @ 68 gpt Ag (including 0.65 m @ 368 gpt Ag); 4.4 m @ 209 gpt Ag (including 1.4 m @ 484 gpt Ag); 38 m @ 50 gpt Ag (including 0.45 m @ 486 gpt Ag); 6.0 m @ 317 gpt Ag (including 2.0 m @ 865 gpt Ag); 36 m @ 72 gpt Ag (including 1.1 m @ 769 gpt Ag and 4.36 m @ 317 gpt Ag). Drill results show continuity and high grades along nearly 600 meters of strike on the F Vein at depths from 15 to 200 meters.
- Ridgestone Mining Inc. has resumed activities at its Rebeico project in Sonora. “Core samples from the first three drill holes at the New Year Zone, which encountered abundant sulphides, have been sent to ALS Chemex in Hermosillo for assaying”.
- Mammoth Resources Corp. announced the return of Centerra Gold Inc. personnel to Mammoth’s Tenoriba project in Chihuahua.
- Candente Gold Corp. is planning underground work on the El Dorado project in Las Minitas, Nayarit. Rehabilitation of underground workings is to aid in the construction of a 3-D model of unmined blocks and vein structure, to guide potential mining/extraction operations. Drill data from the 2010-2011 campaign would be also incorporated.
- Defiance Silver Corp. announced the delineation of multiple targets at is San Acacio project in Zacatecas, which include a 1.3 Km by 300 m corridor where a hanging wall mineralizing event has been identified, deep targets along the Veta Grande strike to the SE, and the El Mirador part of the multi-km long La Veta Morada fault. Re-logging and sampling of historical drill holes is to continue, with a 5,000 m drilling program planned on existing targets. Defiance is preparing additional drill permit applications that will test some of the targets that lie outside of the current drill permit.
- Sierra Metals Inc. informed the Mexican government issued a communication stating “that the effective date for Mining to be deemed an essential service was June 1, 2020. The Company is currently recalling employees from the Bolivar Mine (Chihuahua) to begin a COVID-19 screening process, including a quarantine period, allowing the Company to be ready to commence mining activities on June 1, 2020. The Cusi Mine (Chihuahua), as previously discussed in the May 13, 2020 press release, remains in care and maintenance”.
- Aura Minerals Inc. announced that the Company filed its interim financial statements for the first quarter of 2020 (Aranzazu, Zacatecas).
- Impact Silver Corp. announced its financial and operational results for the first quarter of 2020. Silver production was 179 K Oz Ag, with mill feeds from the Guadalupe, San Ramon, Cuchara and Veta Negra mines. At the end of the period the company cash and working capital stood at $3.9 M and $3.4 M respectively. Mining is to resume on June 1st, 2020, following government directions (Zacualpan, Estado de Mexico).
- Mexus Gold US. Resumed full operational production after the Coronavirus emergency slowdown at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora (not to be mistaken with First Majestic’s Santa Elena mine, also in Sonora).
- Fortuna Silver Mines Inc. resumed production activities at its San José mine in Oaxaca.
- Gold Resource Corp. received written government approval to restart its Oaxaca Mining Unit in Oaxaca. “After reviewing Gold Resource Corporation’s safety protocol documentation, the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMMS) approved in writing the restart of the Company’s OMU operations on May 25, 2020”.
- Endeavour Silver Corp. has restarted operations at its three underground mines in Mexico. “The Company filed its mine operating and health plans with, and received approvals from, the Secretariat of Health in Mexico to recommence mining operations”. Guanaceví in Durango, Bolanitos in Durango and El Compa in Zacatecas are ramping up activities to achieve normal operations.
- Discovery Metals Corp. announced its operating and financial results for the first quarter 2020. By the end of the period Discovery had cash and cash equivalents of $20 M (Cordero, Chihuahua).
- Minera Capela (Industrias Peñoles) reported a rock-fall that resulted in two deaths and three more casualties in Tehuixtla, Teloloapan, Guerrero.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd. Informed that due to international logistics and delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Company is relying on the blanket relief granted by the securities regulatory authorities in Canada to postpone the filing of its Q1 2020 reports. (Plomosas, Sinaloa).
- Aura Minerals Inc. expects it will be able to gradually and safely resume activities at Aranzazu, Zacatecas, over the next few weeks.
- Canasil Resources Inc. granted 1.75 M incentive stock options to directors, officers, consultants and employees. David Terry has agreed to act as an advisor to Canasil’s board of directors (La Esperanza, Zacatecas).
- Orex Minerals Inc. intends to undertake a private placement financing to raise gross proceeds of up to $2 M. “Orex intends to use the net proceeds of the Offering to maintain its 40% share of the Sandra-Escobar Project in good standing and fund its 40% share of the upcoming work program, and for general corporate and working capital purposes”.
- Silver Tiger Metals Inc. (formerly Oceanus Resources) announced it is now trading on the OTCQB, a US interdealer quotation system. Silver Tiger’s common shares also trade on the TSX Venture Exchange under its trading symbol SLVR (El Tigre, Sonora).
- VanGold Mining Corp. adopted a warrant acceleration bonus program for its outstanding share purchase warrants granted in connection with the company’s 2019 private placement financing (El Pinguico, Zacatecas).
- Equinox Gold Corp. reports that from April 1 to May 25, 2020, warrants s held by various security holders have been exercised for net proceeds of approximately $145 M. “As at May 26, 2020, the Company’s cash balance is more than $480 million” (Los Filos, Guerrero).
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp. announced that the TSX Venture Exchange has approved the extension of the expiry date of certain of the company’s outstanding common share purchase warrants for an additional two years, with the expiration date now from June 2022 to September 2022 (Cerro Las Minitas, Durango).
- Ridgestone Mining Inc. common shares are now listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, broadening the corporation’s shareholders base in Europe (Rebeico, Sonora).
- Aztec Minerals Corp. has engaged “Commodity-TV and Rohstoff-TV for an initial three month period to assist with Aztec’s investor relations activities. Pursuant to an agreement dated May 20, 2020, Aztec will pay C&R-TV €9000 plus expenses. C&R-TV is based in Switzerland and will introduce Aztec to its European investor network” (Cerro Cervantes, Sonora).
- Vizsla Resources Corp. entered into an agreement with Canaccord Genuity Corp. for a bought deal purchase of shares for C$4 M in gross profits (Panuco, Sinaloa).
- DynaResources Inc. closed a financing agreement with Golden Post Rail, LLC. and with certain individual shareholders of DynaUSA. Golden Post acquired a convertible promissory note of $2.5 M, bearing interest at 10% and maturing two years from the execution date. The other purchaser acquired convertible security notes in the amount of $1.4 M, bearing interest at 10% and maturing two years from the date of issuance (San Jose de Gracia, Sinaloa).
- Minaurum Gold Inc. closed its previously announced brokered private placement offering, for aggregate gross proceeds of $5 M (Alamos Silver, Sonora).
- Telson Mining Corp. closed a second and final tranche of the non-brokered private placement announced on December 27, 2019, for gross proceeds of $196.6 K (Tahuehueto, Durango).
- Golden Tag Resources Ltd. Announced a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to $1.12 M. “Subsequent to closing of the Financing, the Company will have cash balances of approximately $2.1 million, and no debt” (San Diego, Durango).
- Solaris Resources Inc. completed a non-brokered private placement financing raising gross proceeds of C$20 M (La Verde, Michoacan).
- Mammoth Resources Corp. announced a non brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to $131 K (Tenoriba, Chihuahua).
- Consolidated Zinc Ltd. announced that the fully underwritten pro-rata non-renounceable entitlements offer to raise $1.73 M on the basis on 1 new share for every 3 shares held at the record date has closed (Plomosas, Chihuahua).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Mexican Gold Mining Corp. announced the company will resume activities at Las Minas, Veracruz, in July of 2020, with the goal of having all the necessary inputs for a preliminary economic assessment (PEA) study completed by the end of the year. A 3,000 m drilling program has been designed to expand and upgrade the current resource at El Dorado and continue exploration at the Cinco Señores and Changarro areas. A comprehensive metallurgical study is to be elaborated, as well as an airborne LIDAR on 50 square Km to map the ground surface to 10 Cm resolution.
- Golden Minerals Co. announced the filing on SEDAR of a preliminary Economic assessment (PEA) for its Rodeo property in Durango.
- Bacanora Lithium PLC. updated on activities at its Sonora Lithium project in Sonora. The pilot plant in Hermosillo is to remain closed until authorities lift the Coronavirus pandemic restrictions. Completion of the flow sheet engineering will provide an engineering, procurement and construction style engineering proposal to produce downstream battery grade lithium products, is now scheduled for end of Q4, 2020. from Sonora.
- Discovery Metals Corp. informed that to date the company has completed 17,500 m (48 holes) of its planned 30,000 to 35,000 phase 1 drill program, demonstrating near-surface higher-grade potential over a strike length of 1,250 m, intercepting multiple sulfide veins with grades over 1 kilogram silver per tonne at its Cordero project, Chihuahua.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Mithril Resources Ltd. has completed the acquisition of Sun Minerals Pty Ltd., which holds and exclusive option to acquire the high-grade Copalquin project in Durango. The company issued 673.85 M ordinary shares for the acquisition of all the issued capital of Sun Minerals. Mithril also issued 10 M ordinary shares and paid US$200 K to Compañía Minera Copalquin, S.A. de C.V., and issued 225 M performance rights.
- Candente Gold Corp. informed the memorandum of understanding (MOU) the company signed with Magellan Acquisition Corp. giving Candente the right to earn up to a 100% interest in both the SDA plant and the El Dorado property, in Nayarit, has been amended such that a payment of US$5 K is being paid upon signing the revised MOU and the payment of shares upon completion of due diligence and a definitive agreement to earn 10% interest has been increased from 4 M shares to 5 M shares, all other terms remain the same. The MOU is subject to TSX Venture approval as well as due diligence and execution of a definitive agreement.
- Sonoro Metals Corp. has published a revised version of its Cerro Caliche project development report dated May 22, 2020. As a result of a review by the British Columbia Securities Commission, Sonoro withdrew an April 28, 2020 version of this project development report as it contained certain technical disclosures that did not comply with National Instrument 43-101 standards of disclosure for mineral projects. The revised report is not a technical report as defined by NI 43-101 and has been updated to address those disclosure issues and is now available on the Cerro Caliche project page of the Company’s website.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Minera Peña Colorada donated 1000 sets of groceries to aid the most needed families in Cuatitlán de García Barragán, Jalisco.
- Grupo Mexico donated 23 respiratory ventilators to the State of Sonora, to be distributed mainly in the capital hospitals.
- Fresnillo PLC donated personal medical protection equipment in Caborca, Sonora.
- Minera Real Bonanza supports the fight against the Covid-19 menace through the Hacienda Santa Ana museum in Real de Catorce, San Luis Potosi.
- Grupo Mexico Foundation and Fechac delivered health protection kits to hospitals in Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua.
- Fresnillo PLC donated a respiratory ventilator to health authorities in Durango.
- Fresnillo PLC donated medical protection equipment to a hospital in Fresnillo, Zacatecas.
- The mining industry in Sonora has contributed with sanitizing kits, grocery kits, medical protection sets, hospital equipment, office equipment and public spaces sanitizing. These have benefited 125,813 people with an investment of $64.6 M pesos during April and May 2020, in communities like Cananea, Caborca, La Colorada, Nacozari, Cumpas, Fronteras, Magdalena, San Javier and Esqueda.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below: White, granular quartz-graphite vein, Hermosillo District, Sonora. Picture by Jorge Cirett.