By Jorge Cirett
During the 27th week of the year (July 5th to July 11th, 2021), at least 22 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, six companies posted exploration advances on their properties, four on quarterly production and one about the end of an illegal blockade 17 months long, one posted on financing, five more on project development or resource definition and one posted an update on a law suite. ON MEXICO ISSUES, the illegal blockade on Americas Gold and Silver Cosalá operations in Sinaloa was terminated. Mexico has fallen 13 places on the Fraser’s Index on Mining Attractiveness, affected by perceptions on security and rule of law. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Benjamin Hill Mining released surface assay results high in Cu and Au; Tocvan Ventures released results from RC drilling at Pilar. In Sinaloa, Brigadier Gold released drilling and underground sampling results from Picachos. In Durango, Canasil started drilling at Nora. In Zacatecas, Zacatecas Silver signed surface access agreements to the San Gill zone at its Zacatecas Silver project. In Oaxaca, Madoro Metals updated on exploration at Yautepec. ON MINING, GoGold Resources, Gatos Silver, Endeavour Silver and Torex Gold presented second quarter 2021 production results. Americas Gold and Silver signed an agreement with several ministries to reopen Its Cosalá operations in Sinaloa. ON FINANCING, Gold79 Mines commenced trading on the OTCQB Venture Market in USA. Minaurum Gold closed a financing round for C$9.2 M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Southern Silver released drilling results from Cerro Las Minitas in Durango. GR Silver Mining, reported drill hole results from Plomosas in Sinaloa. Capitan Mining reported RC holes results from Peñoles, Durango. Guanajuato Silver provided drilling results from Pinguico, Guanajuato. Fabled Silver reported underground drilling results from Santa Maria, Chihuahua. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Excellon Resources informed on a legal suite regarding the Miguel Auza mine in Zacatecas. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Fresnillo PLC, Minera Autlán and Newmont Peñasquito informed on activities supporting sports, the environment and community equipment in different localities.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Mexico has fallen 13 places in the Fraser’s Index of Mining attractiveness from 2008 to 2020. Investment also saw a 42.8% reduction in the same period, including some effect by the pandemic. Security, labor regulations, political instability, lack of mining concessions and a nationalization streak in the current government were cited as deterrents to investment in the country. Those viewpoints are reflected in less investment, less employment and fewer opportunities to find new orebodies, factors that will lead to reductions in production and taxes to be paid in the coming years.
- The illegal blockade on Americas Gold and Silver Cosalá operations is off. After 17 months of illegal blockade, the negotiations aided by the federal government can hardly be called a success. Events like this one add to the deterioration on the global perception of Mexico as a good place for mining investment.
- The AIMMGM (Asociación de Ingenieros de Minas, Metalurgista y Geólogos de México) stated through its president Sergio Almazán, that investment in the Mexican mining sector has been affect by the lack of certitude.
- Benjamin Hill Mining Corp. released assay results from surface sampling at the Caracahui, Caracahui Norte and Sonora Copper areas from its Sonora Gold property in Sonora. Some of the highlighted comprise: 0.1 gpt Au, 12.2% Cu, 80 gpt Ag; 1.7 gpt Au, 10.2% Cu, 15 gpt Ag; 4.4% Cu, 8 gpt Ag; 0.2 gpt Au, 4.3% Cu, 25 gpt Ag; 1.2 gpt Au, 2.4% Cu, 98 gpt Ag; 0.1 gpt Au, 1.9% Cu, 3 gpt Ag; 0.6 gpt Au, 1.5% Cu, 24 gpt Ag; 2.2 gpt Au, 0.9% Cu, 17 gpt Ag; 15.9 gpt Au, 0.4% Cu, 3 gpt Ag; 3.3 gpt Au, 0.1% Cu, 47 gpt Ag; 2.5 gpt Au, 0.1% Cu, 65 gpt Ag; 2.4 gpt Au, 0.5% Cu, 7 gpt Ag; 2.2 gpt Au, 0.9% Cu, 17 gpt Ag; 2.0 gpt Au, 0.3% Cu, 53 gpt Ag. “The recent advancement of exploration on the Sonora Gold concession has identified expansive copper mineralization along broadly continuous structural trends which have not yet been fully explored”.
- Canasil Resources Inc. announced the start of the 2021 drill program at the Nora project in Durango. The initial focus is to test below, between and on strike extensions from high-grade Au and Ag intercepts from the 2020 program. Highlighted true width intercepts from the previous campaign include 2.40 m @ 4.78 gpt Au, 351 gpt Ag; 1.49 m @ 11.86 gpt Au, 378 gpt Ag and 3.05 m @ 3.71 gpt Au, 489 gpt Ag, with Pb, Zn, Cu credits.
- Brigadier Gold Ltd. released drilling and underground sampling results from its Picachos project in Sinaloa. Highlighted underground sampling results comprise 0.3 m @ 31.4 gpt Au, 11 gpt Ag, 0.2% Cu, 0.5% Pb, 2% Zn; 3.2 m @ 7.43 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb, 0.2% Zn; 0.9 m @ 4.64 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb, 0.1% Zn; 0.5 m @ 38.88 gpt Au, 22 gpt Ag, 0.4% Cu, 1.7% Pb, 1.5% Zn; 1.0 m @ 12.79 gpt Au, 8 gpt Ag, 0.1% Cu, 0.9% Pb, 0.9% Zn. A surface trench returned 8 m @ 2.14 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb. Highlighted core length intervals comprise 6.5 m @ 0.26 gpt Au, 6 gpt Ag; 60.3 m @ 0.41 gpt Au, 0.2% Zn (including 4.5 m @ 0.56 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb, 0.1% Zn and 7.5 m @ 0.98 gpt Au, 0.1% Zn); 113 m @ 0.19 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb, 0.2% Zn (including 1 m @ 6.89 gpt Au, 0.1% Zn; 4 m @ 1.85 gpt Au; 1 m @ 5.51 gpt Au, 0.1% Zn); 123 m @ 0.27 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb, 0.2% Zn (including 4 m @ 1.08 gpt Au; 4 m @ 1.10 gpt Au, 0.4% Pb, 1.7% Zn; 1 m @ 3.51 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb).
- Madoro Metals Corp. provided an update on recent exploration results from its Yautepec project in Oaxaca. A previously unknown 7 km long trend of epithermal alteration was found in the southern part of the project by company geologists. Highlighted results comprise 0.10 m @ 12.35 gpt Au, 1,250 gpt Ag in a quartz vein grab sample within a stockwork complex 400 by 200 m in the Tecolote zone; 0.10 m vein @ 0.54 gpt Au, 0.16% Cu, 1.3% Zn on the Southern Dike zone.
- Zacatecas Silver Corp. completed access agreements with landowners at the San Gill breccia zone and San Gill vein system at its Zacatecas Silver project in Zacatecas. Environmental reports have been sent to SEMARNAT for the drilling of the Panuco and San Gill systems, and a third one is being prepared for El Cristo zone.
- Tocvan Ventures Corp. released results from six reverse circulation drill holes at its Pilar project in Sonora. The phase II program sunk over 3,500 m in 20 holes, highlighted core length intervals comprise 44.22 m @ 0.41 gpt Au, 4 gpt Ag (including 7.63 m @ 1.66 gpt Au, 7 gpt Ag); 47.27 m @ 0.75 gpt Au, 5 gpt Ag (including 12.20 m @ 1.12 gpt Au and 19.82 m @ 1.06 gpt Au).
- GoGold Resources Inc. reported production of 315.6 K Oz Ag, 3,170 Oz Au, 120 tonnes Cu during the second quarter of 2021 at its Parral tailings project in Chihuahua.
- Americas Gold and Silver Corp. signed an agreement with the Mexican Ministries of Economy, Interior and Labour committing to a reopening of its Cosalá operations in Sinaloa, shut by an illegal blockade spanning 17 months. “After the long period of denied access, the agreement contemplates immediate right to possession of the property with a joint inspection coordinated by the Ministry of Labor this Thursday, so that the mine can restart operations in a safe and sustainable manner”.
- Gatos Silver Inc. released its production report for the second quarter of 2021, which constitute a record for the company. A total of 240 K tonnes were mined, 230.6 K tonnes were milled at a daily rate of 2,535 tonnes, with an average grade of 322 gpt Ag, 0.35 gpt Au, 2.51% Pb, 4.41% Zn, with recoveries of 89% Ag, 63% Au, 90% Pb, 75% Zn, to produce 2.1 M Oz Ag, 1.5 K Oz Au, 11.2 M lb Pb, 14.5 M Lb Zn in Pb and Zn concentrates.
- Endeavour Silver Corp. reported production results for the second quarter 2021. During the period 1.07 M Oz Ag, 11,166 Oz Au were produced. The El Cubo mine in Guanajuato was sold to Guanajuato Silver Corp..
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. released production results for Q2 2021. At its El Limón-Guajes mine in Guerrero, a total of 118,050 Oz Au was produced, with an average plant throughput of 11,980 tpd, average underground ore mined of 1,420 tpd and an average open pit ore mined of 12,430 tpd.
- Gold 79 Mines Ltd. commenced trading on the OTCQB Venture Market in the United States, operated by the OTC Markets Group Inc., under the stock symbol AUSVF (Taviche , Oaxaca).
- Minaurum Gold Inc. closed a previously announced bought deal public offering, for gross proceeds of C$9.2 M. Due to the demand, the offering was upsized from the original gross proceeds of C$7 M. The offering included an investment from Crescat Capital (Alamos Silver, Sonora).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp. released drilling results that extend mineralization at the South Skarn and La Bocona areas at its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango. True width core intervals comprise 1.8 m @ 161 gpt Ag, 0.1 gpt Au, 4.9% Pb, 3.0% Zn (including 0.4 m @ 422 gpt Ag, 0.4 gpt Au, 13.2% Pb, 9.1% Zn); 2.6 m @ 159 gpt Ag, 0.1 gpt Au, 2.4% Pb, 3.5% Zn; 14.0 m @ 162 gpt Ag, 0.2 gpt Au, 1.4% Pb, 0.5% Zn; 1.1 m @ 227 gpt Ag, 0.1 gpt Au, 3.7% Pb, 1.9% Zn. As of May 2019, the indicated resources stood at 37.5 M Oz Ag, 40 M Lb Cu, 303 M Lb Pb, 897 M Lb Zn; and inferred resources at 45.7 M Oz Ag, 76 M Lb Cu, 253 M Lb Pb, 796 M Lb Zn.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd. reported results from the final drill holes to be incorporated in to the incoming resource estimation on the Plomosas mine area of the Plomosas project in Sinaloa. True width highlighted intervals comprise 29.5 m @ 1.13 gpt Au, 0.1% Zn (including 9.1 m @ 2.12 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb, 0.1% Zn); 6.4 m @ 0.81 gpt Au, 0.1% Zn; 3.6 m @ 163 gpt Ag, 0.05 gpt Au, 6.4% Pb, 3.7% Zn, 0.2% Cu; 6.1 m @ 120 gpt Ag, 0.48 gpt Au, 2.8% Pb, 0.7% Zn, 0.1% Cu; 0.9 m @ 5.24 gpt Au, 0.2% Pb, 0.2% Zn; 11.8 m @ 328 gpt Ag, 0.19 gpt Au, 0.5% Pb, 1.2% Zn; 1.0 m @ 680 gpt Ag, 0.04 gpt Au, 0.6% Pb, 2.4% Zn; 4.9 m @ 143 gpt Ag, 1.2% Pb, 4.3% Zn.
- Capitan Mining Inc. reported results for four reverse circulation drill holes from the Capitan deposit at its Peñoles project in Durango. Highlighted intervals comprise 56.4 m @ 0.58 gpt Au, 14 gpt Ag (including 10.7 m @ 0.99 gpt Au, 16 gpt Ag); 38.1 m @ 0.26 gpt Au; 6.1 m @ 0.28 gpt Au, 5 gpt Ag; 187.5 m @ 0.23 gpt Au, 1 gpt Ag (including 29.0 m @ 0.51 gpt Au, 3 gpt Ag); 10.7 m @ 0.25 gpt Au, 4 gpt Ag; 41.1 m @ 0.24 gpt Au, 5 gpt Ag. Capitan Mining expects to complete a 6,000 m reverse circulation program during the summer whilst continuing exploration work on additional targets.
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd. provided drilling results from El Pinguico, Guanajuato. Highlighted core length results comprise 1.65 m @ 2.45 gpt Au, 125 gpt Ag; 7.95 m @ 1.35 gpt Au, 39 gpt Ag (including 0.75 m @ 8.81 gpt Au, 208 gpt Ag); 8.10 m @ 1.00 gpt Au, 93 gpt Ag (including 0.90 m @ 5.96 gpt Au, 476 gpt Ag). GS Silver is planning a 3,800 m 18-hole strong drill program, with the aim of estimating resources.
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp. announced results from underground drilling at the Santa Maria property in Chihuahua. Results comprise 9.90 m @ 0.08 gpt Au, 17 gpt Ag, minor (<0.1%) Pb-Zn-Cu; 1.20 m @ 0.08 gpt Au, 13 gpt Ag, minor Pb-Zn-Cu; 18.0 m @ 0.24 gpt Au, 20 gpt Ag, minor Pb-Zn-Cu; 2.40 m @ 0.06 gpt Au, 36 gpt Ag, minor Pb-Zn-Cu; 0.80 m @ 0.24 gpt Au, 302 gpt Ag, 0.1% Pb, 0.25% Zn; 6.30 m @ 0.04 gpt Au, 17 gpt Ag, minor Pb-Zn-Cu.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Excellon Resources Inc. informed on the legal action regarding the Antigua concession within its Evolution project in Durango. A subsidiary of Excellon, San Pedro Resources SA de CV has been mandated in court to pay US$23 M in damages for not having in operation the Miguel Auza mine. “Excellon understands from an initial electronic notice that San Pedro’s appeal of this decision to the federal courts of Mexico was dismissed on July 1, 2021, despite the decision not being supported by the evidence, facts or law”.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Fresnillo PLC informed on the re-activation of sports programs in Coahuila.
- Minera Autlán supports an environmental project in Hidalgo.
- Fresnillo PLC backs the environment in Durango, aiding the El Porvenir sustainable forest.
- Newmont Peñasquito installed a solar powered pumping system at El Nuevo Vergel, Zacatecas.
On the image below: Structure in andesitic rocks exposed on a road cut in Sonora. Picture by Jorge Cirett.