By Miguel A Heredia
During the fifty one week of the year (December 14th to December 20th, 2020), at least 22 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico and 4 news published by the media, with seven disclosing deals and corporate issues, five communicating production and financial results, four informing on exploration results, three announcing financial rounds, two discussing social issues, two reporting on resources and development of their mine operations, and two commenting on Mexican issues. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Great Panther restarted operations at its Topia mine in Durango, after experiencing contagious of COVID-19 among the workforce. The Chihuahua Mining Cluster appointed its new board president. The Association of Miners of Sonora (AMSAC) decided to extend the current board for one year. ON EXPLORATION, In Baja California Norte, Comet announced that a drilling program will commence in 2021 at its Santa Teresa project. In Sonora, Silver Viper released drill results from its El Rubi project. In Chihuahua, Monarca Minerals announced its intention to conduct an initial 5,000m of drilling at its San Jose project. In Sinaloa, Vizsla released surface and underground sampling results from its Panuco project. ON MINING, GoGold presented Q3, 2020 production and financial results from its Parral Tailing operation in Chihuahua. Prime reported Q2, 2020 financial results. ON FINANCING, Silver Dollar granted stock options to its directors, officers, and consultants (La Joya property, Durango). Gatos Silver provided an update and announced inclusion in the Russell 2000 Index, as well as in the VanEck Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) (Los Gatos, Chihuahua). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Southern Silver reported drill results from its Cerro Las Minitas property in Durango. Capitan Mining released RC drill results from three holes collared at its Peñoles project in Durango. Gatos Silver commenced a 58,000m infill and extensional drilling program at its Cerro Los Gatos deposit in Chihuahua. GR reported drill results from 2 holes collared at its Plomosas property in Sinaloa. Fabled started an 8,000m drilling program at its Santa Maria project in Chihuahua. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Aztec Minerals and Kootenay entered into a JV option agreement for the Cervantes project in Sonora. Defiance acquired option to purchase royalty at the Tepal property in Michoacan. Pan American appointed a new member to its board of directors (La Colorada, Zacatecas). Equinox announced friendly acquisition of Premier Gold (Mercedes Mine, Sonora). Canuc appointed a new special adviser to the company (San Javier property, Sonora). Santacruz reached an agreement with Peñoles to extend the Zimapan Mine lease until June 30, 2021. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Minera Media Luna, a subsidiary of Torex Gold invested MXP $1.8M to improve the Nuevo Balsas Health Center. Grupo Mexico donated eight thousand plants in Colima.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Great Panther Mining Limited, restarted operations at its Topia mine in Durango, after have experienced contagious of COVID-19 among the workforce. Mining resumed on December 17 and the plant is expected to begin processing ore on December 21.
- The Chihuahua Mining Cluster appointed its new board president. This event was joined by the special presence of the state leadership of the Association of Mining Engineers, Metallurgists and Geologists of Mexico; the direction of the Mining Chamber of Mexico; guild suppliers, as well as the new director of mining for the state government.
- The Association of Miners of Sonora (AMSAC) decided to extend the current board for one year as a result of the pandemic that paralyzed multiple activities in the sector.
- Comet Resources Limited announced that a drilling program will commence in 2021 at its Santa Teresa project in Baja California Norte. Comet has identified sources of water for the drilling program and has improved roads to the drill sites. It is also in the process of getting the drill permit to commence the drilling in 2021. In addition, Comet has engaged a local geological consultancy to assist them with all geological programs, including permitting for drilling.
- Silver Viper Minerals Corp., released drill results from its El Rubi project in Sonora. The most significant drill interval was encountered in hole LV20-283 with 0.72 g/t Au and 50 g/t Ag over a true width (TW) of 13.89m, including several intersection as 2.55 g/t Au and 226 g/t Ag over a TW of 0.64m, 3.26 g/t Au and 215 g/t Ag over a TW of 1.92m, 1.58 g/t Au and 108 g/t Ag over a TW of 3.84m, 4.38 g/t Au and 282 g/t Ag over a TW of 0.64m, 33.8 g/t Au and 67 g/t Ag over a TW of 1.6m, and 77.9 g/t Au and 133 g/t Ag over a TW of 1m. Silver Viper informed also that it has conducted initial bottle roll leach tests on four 500 g composites of mineralized material from El Rubi with extracting recoveries of 90-95% for Au and 62-76% for Ag. The company plans to conduct more detail test work.
- Monarca Minerals Inc., announced its intention to conduct an initial 5,000m of drilling at its San Jose project in Chihuahua. Monarca plans to drill 10 holes to test some IP targets to depths of up to 500m. Monarca is looking to sign a surface agreement with the local Ejido as well as to apply to obtain the drilling permit.
- Vizsla Resources Corp., released surface and underground sampling results from its Panuco project. Sampling highlights include 11.55 g/t Au and 2,091 g/t Ag (3,042 g/t AgEq) over a true width (TW) of 1m, and 6.7 g/t Au and 723 g/t Ag (1,304 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 1.2m at Agua Zarca target; 2.23 g/t Au and 264 g/t Ag (456 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 2.9 at El Batel target; 0.77 g/t Au and 315 g/t Ag (368 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 4.1m, including 1.28 g/t Au and 892 g/t Ag (958 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 1.3m at La Bomba target; and 0.67 g/t Au and 225 g/t Ag (275 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 10.5m, including 1.34 g/t Au and 371 g/t Ag (473 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 4m at Huaco target. These results will help to generate drill targets for 2021.
- GoGold Resources Inc., presented Q3, 2020 production and financial results from its Parral Tailing operation in Chihuahua. The company produced 605,723 Oz AgEq at a cash and AISC of USD $11.97 and USD $14.31 per Oz AgEq respectively. GoGold reported revenue of USD $39.5M, a net income of USD $43.1M, and cash flow from operations before working capital changes of USD $5.5M, including free cash flow from Parral of USD $6.5M.
- Prime Mining Corp., announced Q2, 2020 financial results. The company reported a net loss of CAD $1,656,466, cash, cash equivalent and short-term investment of CAD $7,678,959, total current liabilities of CAD $655,545, total liabilities of CAD $1,668,247, and total shareholder´s equity of CAD $19,921,788 (Los Reyes project, Sinaloa).
- Silver Dollar Resources Inc., granted stock options to its directors, officers, and consultants to purchase up to 2.55M shares of the company. Shares are exercisable at $1.75 per share for five years (La Joya property, Durango).
- Gatos Silver Inc., provided an update and announced inclusion in the Russell 2000 Index small capitalization stocks index, effective December 2021. Gatos recently completed an IPO with gross proceeds of USD $173M resulting in the largest precious metals IPO since 2010 and the largest precious metals equity financing during 2020. The company also announced the inclusion in the VanEck Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ) (Los Gatos property, Chihuahua).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp., reported drill results from Mina La Bocona target area at its Cerro Las Minitas property in Durango. Significant drill intersects were encountered at hole 20CLM-125 with 1.41 g/t Au and 36 g/t Ag (201 g/t AgEq) over a 28.5m, including 5.1 g/t Au and 72 g/t Ag (552 g/t AgEq) over 2.8m, and a deeper intersection of 0.45 g/t Au, 421 g/t Ag, 5.5% Pb, and 1.9% Zn (704 g/t AgEq or 17.9% ZnEq) over 6.1m (true width of 4.0m), including 0.64 g/t Au, 1,420 g/t Ag, 16.8% Pb, and 00.6% Zn (2,012 g/t AgEq or 51% ZnEq) over 0.9m (true width of 0.6m). This drill result is part of a 10,000m, 2020-2021 core drilling program on the Cerro Las Minitas project. Two additional holes have been completed at Mina La Bocona target. Seven holes totaling 2,470 metres have now tested the Mina La Bocona target area with assays still pending from each hole.
- Capitan Mining Inc., released drill results from three holes collared at its Peñoles project in Durango. Significant drill intercepts were encountered in holes 20-CARC-12 with 0.63 g/t Au over 73.15m, including 0.91 g/t Au over 36.5m; hole 20-CARC-09 with 0.69 g/t Au and 21 g/t Ag over 64.01m, including 1.26 g/t Au over 13.72m; and hole 20-CARC-08 with 0.58 g/t Au over 48.77m, including 0.82 g/t Au and 16 g/t Ag over 28.96m.
- Gatos Silver Inc., commenced a 58,000m infill and extensional drilling program at its Cerro Los Gatos deposit in Chihuahua. The program is expected to cost USD $6.1M. Drilling has already begun with a program of 27,000m with an expected cost of USD $2.8M and is focused on definition and extension of the Cerro Los Gatos deposit. Completion of the program is anticipated by June 2021. A second program focused on expanding resources throughout the Los Gatos district is planned to initiate in early 2021.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd., reported drill results from 2 underground holes collared at its Plomosas property in Sinaloa. Hole PLI20-01 intersected 30 g/t Ag, 0.01 g/t Au, 1.3% Pb, and 2.8% Zn (254 g/t AgEq) over a true width (TW) of 16m, including 55 g/t Ag, 0.01 g/t Au, 4% Pb, and 8.3% Zn (424 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 4m; and hole PLI20-02 intersected 18 g/t Ag, 0.3 g/t Au, 1% Pb, and 1.7% Zn (130 g/t AgEq), including 107 g/t Ag, 1.7 g/t Au, 6.6% Pb, 9.6% Zn, and 0.2% Cu (778 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 4.2m. GR also reviewed and validated historical data from holes SD-62 and SD-67, confirming the presence of Au-Cu rich mineralization in other levels of the Plomosas Mine area. Hole SD-62 encountered 31 g/t Ag, 0.12 g/t Au, 0.8% Pb, 1.4% Zn, and 1.3% Cu (200 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 25.3m, while hole SD-63 intersected 115 g/t Ag, 1.04 g/t Au, 11.3% Pb, 5.4% Zn, and 0.7% Cu (800 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 6.1m.
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp., started an 8,000m drilling program at its Santa Maria project in Chihuahua to test 11 new IP anomalies identified during the first ever geophysical survey conducted at the property. A 3-D IP survey covered the entire property at 50m-line spacing and was 16 blocks in size with penetration to -500m minimum. In addition, 27km of ground magnetic was completed over the property resulting in the creation of several products such as total field, first derivate, reduce to pole, and 3D inversion magnetics. “Fabled’s management team strongly believes that the Santa Maria Property is an under-explored, high-grade silver-gold project with significant exploration potential to expand mineral resources and identify new discoveries”.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Aztec Minerals Corp., and Kootenay Silver Inc., entered into a JV option agreement for the Cervantes project in Sonora. Aztec has already completed its earn-in and exercised its option to acquire a 65% interest in the property. Now Aztec hold 65% interest in the property while Kootenay the remaining 35%. Both parties will keep their interest at Cervantes through share ownership in Aztec Minerals JV Corporation through its wholly owned subsidiary, Minera Azteca Dorado S.A. de C.V.
- Defiance Silver Corp., acquired option to purchase the 2.5% NSR of the Tepal property in Michoacan from Minera Tepal, over four years for a total consideration of USD $4.85M.
- Pan American Silver Corp., appointed a new member to its board of directors (La Colorada, Zacatecas).
- Equinox Gold Corp., announced it has entered into a definitive agreement with Premier Gold Mines Limited to acquire all of the outstanding shares of Premier. Premier will spin-out to its shareholders shares of a newly created US-focused gold production and development company to be called i-80 Gold Corp. On closing of the transaction, existing Equinox Gold and Premier shareholders will own approximately 84% and 16% of Equinox Gold, and Equinox Gold and existing shareholders of Premier will own 30% and 70% of i-80 Gold, respectively, on an issued share basis.
- Canuc Resources Corporation appointed a new special adviser to the company (San Javier property, Sonora).
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd., reached an agreement with Minera Cedros S.A.de C.V., a subsidiary of Industrias Peñoles S.A.B. de C.V. to extend the Zimapan Mine lease from December 31, 2020 to June 30, 2021.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Minera Media Luna, a subsidiary of Torex Gold invested MXP $1.8M to improve the Nuevo Balsas Health Center, which will serve close to four thousand inhabitants of communities such as Nuevo Balsas, San Nicolás, La Fundición, Real del Limón, Acalmantlila, Balsas Sur, San Luis and Tomixtlahuacán. This center seeks to provide decent medical care since the areas that are farthest from the municipal capitals are severely affected in their health services due to the conditions of difficult access and remoteness.
- Grupo Mexico donated eight thousand plants to the City Council and to the Integral Development of the Family (DIF) of Colima to reforest the public gardens of the rural communities contributing to improve the environment and quality of life of the families of the municipality of Colima.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, a fault slickenside in a Mn-Fe occurrence in a prospect in Chihuahua, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.