By Jorge Cirett
During the 42nd week of the year (October 12th to October 18th, 2020), at least 32 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, seven companies posted their quarterly reports, five on project development and three companies posted news on deals. ON MEXICO ISSUES, the Centro de Minería Compatible is being built in Zacatecas. What remains of the Mining Fund will source $2 M for infrastructure projects in Colima. The federal government generates uncertainty for the mining industry thorough its actions. Mergers and acquisitions boom in the Mexican mining industry. The lithium nationalization fears are played down by the Economy Secretariat. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Minaurum Gold released high grade drilling results from its Alamos Silver project. Canuc released high-grade surface sample results from its San Javier silver play. Tocvan Ventures announced the interpretation of a second suspected breccia pipe at Pilar. In Chihuahua, Global Li-Ion Graphite is to realize a due diligence review on the MVZ project. ON MINING, First Majestic, Premier Gold, Sierra Metals, Fortuna Silver, Excellon Resources, Telson Mining and McEwen Mining presented third quarter 2020 production reports. ON FINANCING, Telson Mining settled a $659.8 K debt with shares. Silver Bull Resources intends to raise up to US$1.85 M. Consolidated Zinc closed a $2.04 M placement. Santacruz Silver Mining closed the last financing round for aggregate gross proceeds of $2.36 M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Comet Resources released an initial inferred resource of 88.6 K Oz Au for its Santa Teresa project in Baja California. Prime Mining is to commence drilling at Los Reyes, Sinaloa, in November. Discovery Metals released high-grade results from the Todos Santos vein trend at its Cordero project in Chihuahua. GoGold Resources informed on results of drilling the La Trini deposit at its Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Golden Tag is to commence drilling on its San Diego project in Durango. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Silver Spruce signed a LOI with Colibri Resource to acquire the Jackie Gold project in Sonora. Tarachi Gold signed a LOI with Manto Resources on the Magistral del Oro tailings project in Durango. Silver Bull informed on the status of the illegal blockade at its Sierra Mojada project in Coahuila. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Industrias Peñoles, Minera Media Luna, Pan American Silver and Minera Penmont informed on sustainability, health, safety, environment and social and governance programs.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- The Centro de Minería Compatible is being built by the Zacatecas Mining Cluster. The facilities are under construction at the Parque Científico y Tecnológico Quantum in Zacatecas, a Complex that hosts enterprises and institutions focused in research and innovation.
- The Mining Fund is to provide MX$41.96 M pesos (US$2 M) for 10 infrastructure projects in Minatitlan, Colima.
- Government actions in Mexico generate uncertainty for mining enterprises. The elimination of the Mining Sub-Secretariat and the informal ban on the granting of mining concessions are the two more acute actions that send the wrong message to the mining industry. Another issue is constituted by the disputes between companies and the fiscal authority on taxation.
- The mining sector has been at the forefront of mergers and acquisitions in Mexico, in the period of January to September, with 22 operations, according to Seale&Associates.
- Mujeres WIM Mexico celebrated a virtual forum, entitled “Agenda and challenges for inclusion of women in the mining industry”.
- Graciela Marquez, Economy Secretary played down the high expectations for lithium production in Mexico. She pointed out that Mexico does not produce any lithium at all in the present, and that the strongly hyped Bacanora Lithium’s project in Sonora hosts a large deposit in clays, which makes its extraction expensive. Her comments were a response to the voices claiming for the nationalization of the lithium industry by a leftist congressional group.
- Minaurum Gold Inc. released drill results from the Promontorio vein zone at its Alamos Silver project in Sonora. “The holes were targeted below the historical Promontorio mine and demonstrate that high-grade silver mineralization continues at least 100 m below the deepest known workings”. Highlighted intervals comprise 1.75 m @ 144 gpt Ag, 0.51 gpt Au, 0.21% Cu, 4.1% Pb, 9.1% Zn; 7.60 m @ 266 gpt Ag, 0.27 gpt Au, 0.57% Cu, 1.6% Pb, 3.2% Zn (including 0.9 m @ 1,675 gpt Ag, 1.37 gpt Au, 4.15% Cu, 8.5% Pb, 11.3% Zn; 0.65 m @ 502 gpt Ag, 0.04 gpt Au, 1.82% Cu, 0.2% Pb, 0.1% Zn; 5.10 m @ 769 gpt Ag, 0.11 gpt Au, 0.76% Cu.
- Canuc Resources Corp. released results from surface rock chip sampling at its San Javier project in Sonora. The results are strongly anomalous in silver (up to 1,222 gpt Ag), Au (up to 14.4 gpt Au) and copper (up to 0.95% Cu). The copper anomalous samples are from a breccia zone with magnetite matrix.
- Tocvan Ventures Corp. announced the interpretation of a circular feature through geochemistry at its Pilar property in Sonora, same that might represent a breccia feeder pipe related to epithermal mineralization.
- Global Li-Ion Graphite Corp. is to conduct a field due diligence on the property MVZ in Chihuahua, owned by Grupo Minero Diflor S.A. de C.V.. The 1,750 hectares property hosts 3 past producing silver-gold deposits, El Moro, La Virginia and La Zorra, within the larger El Pajarito property, also owned by Diflor.
- First Majestic Silver Corp. released its third quarter 2020 production report, for a total of 5.2 M Oz AgEq. The production by mine can be seen in the following table.
- Premier Gold Mines Ltd. presented production results for the third quarter 2020, including some figure from its Mexican operations. At the Mercedes mine in Sonora, 12,183 Oz Au and 49,985 Oz Ag were produced during the period.
- Sierra Metals Inc. reported third quarter 2020 production results, including figures from its two mines in Mexico. At Bolívar, in Chihuahua, 410.5 K tonnes were processed at a daily rate of 4,691 tonnes (tpd) and a grade of 0.86% Cu, 18.2 gpt Ag, 0.32 gpt Au, recovering 86.1% Copper, 82.9% Ag, 64.2% Au to produce 6.73 M Lb Cu, 199 K Oz Ag, 2,740 Oz Au. At Cusi, in Chihuahua, 69.83 K tonnes were processed at 1,074 tpd and a grade of 168.6 gpt Ag, 0.18 gpt Au, 0.25% Pb, recovering 80.4% Ag, 43.6% Au, 79.3% Pb.
- Fortuna Silver Mines Inc. reported production results for the third quarter 2020, including figures from its operations in Mexico. At the San José mine in Oaxaca 255.2 K tonnes were processed at a rate of 2,934 tpd, grading 254 gpt Ag, 1.52 gpt Au, recovering 91.9% Ag, 91.7% Au to produce 1.92 M Oz Ag, 11,425 Oz Au.
- Excellon Resources Inc. released production results for the third quarter 2020 from its Platosa mine in Durango. During the period 21,877 tonnes were mined, with 22,612 tonnes processed @ 483 gpt Ag, 5.26% Pb, 6.81% Zn, recovering 93.0% Ag, 85.0% Pb, 80.9% Zn, to produce 326.9 K Oz Ag, 2.23 M Lb Pb, 2.75 M Lb Zn.
- Telson Mining Corp. provided preliminary production results for the third quarter 2020. At the Campo Morado mine in Guerrero, 127.4 K tonnes were milled @ 1.07 gpt Au, 104 gpt Ag, 0.98% Pb, 4.07% Zn, 0.40% Cu, recovering 9% Au, 36% Ag, 27% Pb, 69% Zn, to produce a zinc concentrate with 46.3% Zn, 506 gpt Ag and a lead concentrate with 21.2% Pb, 558 gpt Ag, 2.87 gpt Au.
- McEwen Mining Inc. reported production for the third quarter of 2020, including figures from its Mexican operations. During the period, El Gallo, located in Sinaloa and undergoing residual leaching, produced 1,900 Oz AuEq. “An updated feasibility study for the Fenix Project is being finalized, and we expect to release the results in Q4”.
- Telson Mining Corp. informed “the Company has closed its debt settlement with Accendo Banco, S.A. Institucion de Banco Multiple (“Accendo”). Accendo has funded the payout of $659,758 of debt related to Tahuehueto mining project’s suppliers and accordingly, the Company has issued to Accendo 7,330,651 shares at a deemed price of $0.09 per share” (Campo Morado, Guerrero).
- Silver Bull Resources Inc. intends to complete a private placement to raise up to US$1.85 M (Sierra Mojada, Coahuila).
- Consolidated Zinc Ltd. informed the closing of the fully underwritten pro-rata non-renounceable entitlements offer to raise $2.04 M (Plomosas, Chihuahua).
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd. closed the second an d final tranche of its non-brokered private placement, for aggregate gross proceeds of $2.36 M (Zimapan, Hidalgo)
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Comet Resources Ltd. released the results of the initial JORC compliant mineral resource estimate for its Santa Teresa project in Baja California. The inferred resource comprises 369 K tonnes @ 7.47 gpt Au, containing 88.6 K Oz Au. “Gold mineralisation at Santa Teresa is within parallel …… mesothermal lode-gold quartz vein systems. The veins range in width from a few cm to about three metres in width, and up to several hundred metres of known strike length. In general, the quartz veins are narrow, averaging less than 0.3 m in width, occupying parallel fractures with sheared walls ….. A second generation of veining followed a fracturing episode and was accompanied by epidote, hornblende and sparse mineralisation of galena, sphalerite, pyrite, marcasite, pyrrhotite, chalcopyrite, magnetite, specularite, and native gold”.
- Prime Mining Corp. informed drilling is expected to commence in November at the Los Reyes project in Sinaloa. The company efforts are directed to upgrade 7.1 M tonnes of current inferred resource to the measured and indicated category, and adding more ounces to the resources.
- Discovery Metals Corp. released results from four drill holes at the Todos Santos vein trend of its Cordero project in Chihuahua. Highlighted results comprise 25 m @ 92 gpt Ag, 0.14 gpt Au, 1.6% Pb, 3.1% Zn (including 3.4 m @ 421 gpt Au, 0.42 gpt Au, 8.0% Pb, 10.0% Zn); 49.7 m @ 38 gpt Ag, 0.09 gpt Au, 0.6% Pb, 1.9% Zn (including 2.0 m @ 532 gpt Ag, 0.38 gpt Au, 8.8% Pb, 8.1% Zn); 21.0 m @ 59 gpt Ag, 0.19 gpt Au, 0.9% Pb, 2.0% Zn (including 3.3 m @ 152 gpt Ag, 0.71 gpt Au, 2.2% Pb, 6.9% Zn); 6.9 m @ 133 gpt Ag, 0.10 gpt Au, 2.9% Pb, 5.4% Zn. “The Todos Santos vein trend, consisting of the Main Vein and Footwall Vein, has an interpreted southwest strike extent of at least 1.5 km based on historic underground workings and drilling, with veins dipping steeply to the northwest. The drill-confirmed portion of the Main Vein along the Todos Santos trend has a strike extent of 800 m and a down-dip extent of 300 m and is open along strike in both directions and at depth”.
- GoGold Resources Inc. released results from drilling at the La Trini deposit in the Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Some of the highlighted results comprise 6.3 m @ 1.42 gpt Au, 127 gpt Ag; 18.8 m @ 0.24 gpt Au, 30 gpt Ag; 24.0 m @ 0.80 gpt Au, 51 gpt Ag (including 6.0 m @ 2.78 gpt Au, 103 gpt Ag; 23.5 m @ 0.16 gpt Au, 97 gpt Ag; 31.0 m @ 1.50 gpt Au, 95 gpt Ag (including 11.2 m @ 3.67 gpt Au, 165 gpt Ag); 34.5 m @ 0.79 gpt Au, 79 gpt Ag (including 5.6 m @ 3.08 gpt Au, 179 gpt Ag; 25.7 m @ 0.21 gpt Au, 38 gpt Ag; 24.0 m @ 0.16 gpt Au, 39 gpt Ag.
- Golden Tag Resources Ltd. plans to commence a 4,500 m drilling program at its San Diego project within the Velardeña district, in Durango. The exploration is to focus in the expansion of the known resource of 31.6 M Oz Ag in indicated resources and 83.8 M Oz Ag in inferred resources (TR 2013). The drilling is to cover the Trovador, 1849 target, Fernandez and Arroyo zones.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Silver Spruce Resources Inc. signed a letter of intent with Colibri Resource Corp. to acquire 50% interest in the Jackie Gold project in Sonora. Silver Spruce agreed to pay US$25 K and CAD$25 K in shares as the first property payment, and $US25 K and CAD$25 K in shares on the first year. Silver Spruce also concurs in paying 50% of due taxes and property rights agreements at the completion of the agreement. “Upon completion of these terms, Silver Spruce will hold a 50% interest in the Property and a Joint Venture will be formed to direct all exploration and drilling expenses and thereafter will be shared 50% by Silver Spruce and 50% by Colibri”.
- Tarachi Gold Corp. entered into a non-binding letter of intent (LOI) with Manto Resources S.A. de C.V. to acquire certain assets related to the Magistral del Oro tailing processing plant in Durango. The plant is a permitted 1,000 tpd tailings processing plant, with tailing resource estimates of 1.29 M tonnes @ 2.06 gpt Au. The deal involves 4 M shares of Tarachi, granting Manto a 15% NSR and reimburse Manto up to US$500 K for cash outlays, and Tarachi will satisfy “certain obligations” of Manto by paying US$1,65 M plus VAT and issuing a total of 1,685,916 Common Shares over a period of six months. Furthermore, on commencement of commercial production Tarachi will issue Manto 4 M shares; six months after continuous commercial production; 4 M shares, twelve months after commercial production 4 M shares and US$500 K. Upon Tarachi earning US$15 M in revenue, the company will pay Manto US$1 M.
- Silver Bull Resources Inc. informed that “The Sierra Mojada Project remains under an option with South32 International Investment Holdings Pty Ltd and is currently under a force majeure due to the illegal blockade. As soon as we are able access the project, we expect to recommence the drilling program that was halted“.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Minera Media Luna (Guerrero) informed on actions for betterment of the communities around the mining operations.
- Pan American Silver informed on actions taken and support against the COVID-19 pandemic in the mining communities near its operations.
- Industrias Peñoles received the sanitary safety award by the IMSS, on grounds of its actions fighting the COVID pandemic.
- Minera Penmont is protecting the biodiversity in the Caborca region, in Sonora.
- Industrias Peñoles donated five thousandtree saplings to the municipality of Gomez Palacio, Durango.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below: The Cerro San Pedro open pit in 2010, San Luis Potosí. Picture by Jorge Cirett.