By Jorge Cirett
During the 25th week of the year (June 21st to June 28th, 2021), at least 34 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, seven companies posted exploration advances on their properties, six posted on financing, warrants extension, options distribution or option payments received, eight more on project development or resource definition and four posted on deals or corporate issues. ON MEXICO ISSUES, there is a new illegal blockade at Los Filos in Guerrero. Canadian Mining companies are suffering the results of the asylum provided by Canada to Mexican union leader Napoleon Gómez Urrutia. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Riverside is receiving funding for exploration of five properties; Ridgestone released surface sample results from Rebeico; Colibri completed an IP survey on Evelyn. In Chihuahua, Kootenay is to rehabilitate underground workings at Columba. In Sinaloa, GR Silver initiated a drilling campaign in the Rosario district. In Durango, Mithril intersected bonanza grade mineralization in drill holes at Copalquin. In Jalisco, Xali Gold identified targets at its Tepic project. ON MINING, Mexus Gold produced some gold at Santa Elena in Sonora. Fresnillo paid US$176.2 M in taxes to the Mexican government in 2020. Santacruz Silver reported a fatality at is Rosario mine in San Luis Potosi. ON FINANCING, Reyna Silver, Wealth Minerals and Southern Silver reported on financing rounds for C$6.06 M, $675 K and $3 M respectively. Vizsla Silver granted options, Radius Gold received $400 K as payment from Pan American Silver related to an earn-in agreement on the Amalia project. Advance Gold extended the expiry date of some warrants. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Guanajuato Silver informed on advance at getting the El Cubo and Pinguico mines back to production. Minera Alamos informed construction has been completed at Santana, in Sonora. Fabled Silver Gold released drilling results from Santa Maria, in Chihuahua. Discovery Silver released results from drilling targeting bulk mining mineralization at Cordero, in Chihuahua. Vizsla Silver released interesting drilling results from Panuco, in Sinaloa. Silver Dollar signed a surface access agreement at La Joya, in Durango. Oroco Resources received the environmental permit to drill at Santo Tomas, in Sinaloa. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Vizsla Silver is to spin a Canadian copper asset, forming Vizsla Copper. Fortuna Silver and Roxgold received a recommendation for their business combination. David Jones is on Benjamin Hill as a technical advisor. Orogen Royalties is to trade on the OTCQX ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Peñoles, Fresnillo PLC, the Chihuahua Mining cluster and Minera Peñasquito informed on actions the companies realize to help communities and the environment. Great Panther published its sustainability report. Newmont launched its Climate Strategy Report.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Equinox Gold Corp. informed an illegal blockade has temporarily suspended mining activities at Los Filos, Guerrero. the illegal blockades are led by “a group of unionized employees and members of the Xochipala community, both of whom are demanding payments in excess of their contractual agreements.
- Americas Gold & Silver continues its fight against Napoleón Gómez Urrutia union. The company has had its San Rafael mine in Cosalá, Sinaloa, under siege for 18 months by the section 333 of the Sindicato de Trabajadores Mineros, Metalurgicos, Siderurgicos y Similares de la República Mexicana (the union led by Napoleón Gómez Urrutia). The company asked the Canadian government for help on what they see as an illegal blockade disguised as a dispute for the Union to control the company’s personnel collective contract (speaking of retribution, Canadian Mining companies are paying for the asylum Canada provided to the Union leader, and are set to pay dearly if do not fight back).
- Riverside Resources Inc. informed BHP is funding exploration in five projects in Sonora, acquired under the BHP-Riverside Exploration Funding Agreement. A total of US$1.3 M over two years was allocated for generative funding, with an additional US$1 M in specific work programs. Riverside anticipates two projects will see a maiden drill campaign on 2021, of five under evaluation. The Chuin and Palofierro projects are the most advanced, while Sinoquipe, Penitas and Montosa projects are to follow suite. Magneto-teluric (MT) and gravity geophysics, green-mineral, whole rock and prospecting are being used for vectoring and district evaluations.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd. initiated a 14,000 m exploration drill program in the Rosario district in Sinaloa. Seven drill rigs are being mobilized to dill vein systems covering a combined 75 km strike length of the Plomosas, San Marcial and La Trinidad project areas. Some of the targets include the GAP area, Loma Dorada structure.
- Xali Gold Corp. identified drill targets that can extend known mineralization at its Cocula project in Jalisco. These drill targets were identified on a 3D model, and are designed to test potential extensions to previously defined zones. The project displays two styles of mineralization, gold-silver as dissemination in oxidized breccias near surface and higher-grade gold silver and base metals in structures containing stockwork quartz veining.
- Ridgestone Mining Inc. released assay results from sampling on recent mapping at its Rebeico project in Sonora. Sampling at El Cobre mine returned up to 1.0 m @ 3.5% Cu, 0.32 gpt Au, 32 gpt Ag, 0.136% Mo on the main structure. Regional mapping returned up to 1.2 m @ 1.06% Cu, 2.40 gpt Au, 6 gpt Ag in a quartz vein and 1.5 m @ 0.08% Cu, 3.45 gpt Au in a breccia. “The El Cobre mine was put into production by Asarco during the sixties and was developed on two levels, with the upper level having over 230 metres of drift development and the lower level having over 100 metres long of drift development at a depth of 180 metres below surface. The main structure, with widths varying from 1 to 5 metres, has been emplaced within a granodiorite intrusive and remains open along strike and at Depth”.
- Kootenay Silver Inc. announced the signing of a contract with Tlasa Obras Mineras S. de R.L. de C.V. to rehabilitate the historic underground workings of the F vein at the Coulmba project in Chihuahua. Work is expected to take four months.
- Colibri Resource Corp. reported the completion of the previously announced IP survey at Evelyn, in Sonora. The IP survey consisted of 38-line km of 3D-IP covering the eastern half of the Evelyn project. “…the highest chargeability response is spatially associated with the Main Zone within the Cerro Rojo target area…. the Company has decided to extend the IP survey to the western boundary thus completing 3D IP coverage over most of the property”.
- Mithril Resources Ltd. released drill results from its Copalquin project in Durango. Highlighted core length results comprise: 6.8 m @ 74 gpt Au, 841 gpt Ag (including 2.1 m @ 235 gpt Au, 2,554 gpt Ag); 4.61 m @ 1.87 gpt Au, 89 gpt Ag; 7.60 m @ 2.34 gpt Au, 144 gpt Ag; 1.0 m @ 2.64 gpt Au, 167 gpt Ag; 6.0 m @ 1.41 gpt Au, 66 gpt Ag; 1.80 m @ 2.38 gpt Au, 53 gpt Ag; 1.05 m @ 2.36 gpt Au, 95 gpt Ag; 0.50 m @ 28.9 gpt Au, 471 gpt Ag; 1.66 m @ 2.41 gpt Au, 153 gpt Ag. Drilling continues along El Refugio structure, and soil sampling is in progress to define the structure a further 1.3 km to the west.
- Mexus Gold US. informed its Santa Elena mine in Sonora produced 20 Oz Au last week and confirmed the presence of 30 ounces more on the activated carbon cells.
- Fresnillo PLC. presented a report on the payments to the governments of Mexico, Chile and Peru. In Mexico, Fresnillo paid US$ 139.3 M in taxes, US$1.48 M in royalties and US$35.4 M in concession fees, for a total of US$176.2 M.
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd. reported a fatality at its Rosario project in San Luis Potosi. ”The accident took place at the Membrillo mine as a result of a rock fall”.
- Vizsla Silver Corp. granted 4.15 M options to directors, officers, employees and consultants (Panuco, Sinaloa).
- Reyna Silver Corp. has over-sold the offering and completed a brokered private placement for gross proceeds of C$6.06 M (GuiGui, Chihuahua).
- Radius Gold Inc. reported that Pan American Silver, its joint venture partner in at the Amalia project in Chihuahua, has paid a scheduled US$400 K property payment to Radius, and plans further drilling at the project. “Exploration completed at Amalia includes 31 holes for 10,588m of diamond core drilling, primarily at the San Pedro zone on the Amalia structure. The next targets to be drill tested are El Cuervo…. and at California”.
- Wealth Minerals Ltd. closed the second tranche of the placement, for gross proceeds of $675 K (Coronado, Chihuahua).
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp. closed the non-brokered private placement financing for gross proceeds of $3 M (Cerro Las Minitas, Durango).
- Advance Gold Corp. applied to the TSX Venture Exchange to extend the expiry date on 3.08 M share purchase warrants issued pursuant to the private placement financing in July 2019, by one year, to July 9, 2022 (Tabasqueña, Zacatecas).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd. informed on staffing mill and mine refurbishment at El Cubo, Guanajuato. Also the company is doing metallurgical studies on El Cubo and Pinguico deposits.
- Minera Alamos Inc. informed all construction has now been completed at Santana, in Sonora. “All construction has now been completed with the full leach pad now lined and available for stacking….. First loading of mined material from the Nicho Norte pit commenced earlier this month …in preparation for the commissioning of leach operations around the end of the June”.
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp. released drilling results from its ongoing campaign at Santa Maria, Chihuahua. Highlighted core length results comprise 10.50 m @ 0.38 gpt Au, 31 gpt Ag, 0.2% Pb, 1.0% Zn Cu (including 1.20 m @ 1.37 gpt Au, 51 gpt Ag, 0.6% Pb, 4.2% Zn); 27.50 m @ 0.19 gpt Au, 20 gpt Ag (including 1.20 m @ 0.52 gpt Au, 163 gpt Ag, 0.3% Pb, 1.0% Zn); 19.65 m @ 0.44 gpt Au, 52 gpt Ag, 0.3% Pb, 0.6% Zn (including 7.90 m @ 0.74 gpt Au, 104 gpt Ag, 0.5% Pb, 1.2% Zn); 1.00 m @ 0.33 gpt Au, 322 gpt Ag, 0.3% Pb, 0.4% Zn.
- Discovery Silver Corp. released results from 12 drill holes targeting bulk-mining mineralization at its Cordero project in Chihuahua. Highlighted results comprise 65.9 m @ 69 gpt Ag, 0.11 gpt Au, 0.7% Pb, 3.7% Zn; 143 m @ 39 gpt Ag, 0.13 gpt Au, 0.4% Pb, 1.3% Zn; 59.5 m @ 54 gpt Ag, 0.08 gpt Au, 0.9% Pb, 1.5% Zn; 86.0 m @ 33 gpt Ag, 0.17 gpt Au, 0.3% Pb, 1.2% Zn; 82.3 m @ 44 gpt Ag, 0.06 gpt Au, 0.7% Pb, 1.5% Zn; 59.4 m @ 48 gpt Ag, 0.06 gpt Au, 1.0% Pb, 2.0% Zn; 48.9 m @ 85 gpt Ag, 0.08 gpt Au, 0.6% Pb, 1.1% Zn.
- Vizsla Silver Corp. provided results for fourteen holes from the Napoleon prospect at the Panuco project in Sinaloa. Highlighted true width results comprise 3.73 m @ 2.85 gpt Au, 105 gpt Ag, 0.7% Pb, 1.4% Zn; 2.62 m @ 5.51 gpt Au, 476 gpt Ag, 1.5% Pb, 1.1% Zn; 8.36 m @ 5.58 gpt Au, 372 gpt Ag, 0.2% Pb, 0.9% Zn (including 2.31 m @ 18.88 gpt Au, 1,306 gpt Ag, 0.7% Pb, 2.1% Zn; 3.21 m @ 0.94 gpt Au, 30 gpt Ag, 0.1% Pb, 0.9% Zn; 3.45 m @ 1.81 gpt Au, 43 gpt Ag, 0.3% Pb, 1.2% Zn; 11.34 m @ 3.11 gpt Au, 88 gpt Ag, 0.3% Pb, 2.1% Zn; 4.87 m @ 3.70 gpt Au, 112 gpt Ag, 0.3% Pb, 1.5% Zn.
- GoGold Resources Inc. informed on results from seven drill holes from El Favor deposit at its Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Highlighted core length results comprise: 15.0 m @ 0.41 gpt Au, 136 gpt Ag (including 6.4 m @ 0.80 gpt Au, 258 gpt Ag); 20.6 m @ 0.13 gpt Au, 44 gpt Ag; 10.6 m @ 0.09 gpt Au, 38 gpt Ag; 6.5 m @ 0.17 gpt Au, 81 gpt Ag; 63.7 m @ 0.11 gpt Au, 47 gpt Ag (including 9.1 m @ 0.54 gpt Au, 186 gpt Ag); 61.3 m @ 0.56 gpt Au, 243 gpt Ag (including 9.3 m @ 2.06 gpt Au, 973 gpt Ag); 9.4 m @ 0.10 gpt Au, 45 gpt Ag; 6.8 m @ 0.12 gpt Au, 136 gpt Ag; 4.8 m @ 0.25 gpt Au, 88 gpt Ag; 14.4 m @ 0.17 gpt Au, 49 gpt Ag; 35.2 m @ 0.17 gpt Au, 43 gpt Ag. “Three of the four major veins (Salomon, Guitarrillas and Los Chivos) appear to converge into a 100m wide zone at the western end of the El Favor deposit in the vicinity of the Hundido Pit….”.
- Silver Dollar Resources Inc. entered into a formal surface access agreement with the ejido Noria de Pilares, at its La Joya project in Durango.
- Oroco Resources Corp. received approval by SEMARNAT to conduct a drilling program at its Santo Tomas project in Sinaloa. The permit allows for 46 drill locations to test the Brasiles gossan zone and the Western blind target, both supported by a 3D IP survey, and nine drill locations on the North zone for confirmation and expansion drilling.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Vizsla Silver Corp. informed on the approval of the proposed plan of arrangement on which Vizsla Silver is to spin-out its British Columbia exploration assets to Vizsla Copper Corp. (Panuco, Sinaloa).
- Fortuna Silver Mines Inc. and Roxgold Inc. informed two leading proxy advisory firms have recommended that both Fortuna and Roxgold shareholders vote for the proposed business combination (San Jose, Oaxaca).
- Benjamin Hill Mining Corp. announced the appointment of David M. Jones, M.Sc., as technical advisor to the company (Sonora Gold, Sonora).
- Orogen Royalties Inc. announced its shares have been qualified to trade on the OTCQX Best Market (Ermitaño, Sonora).
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Peñasquito informed its water purification plant in Cedros has increased its capacity to 400 cubic meters per day. The community, which doubled its population since the development of the mine, receives the water at no cost. There are two other water purification plants run by the company at the Mesas and Charcos communities.
- Greath Panther Mining published its 2020 sustainability report, describing its safety performance, Covid prevention, zero sanctions, decrease in water consumption, community engagement, gender opportunities and diversity policy.
- The Chihuahua Mining Cluster is aiding in the community effort to extinguish forest fires in the Sierra Madre.
- Newmont Corp. launched its first Climate Strategy Report, which outlines the Company’s climate-related risks and opportunities, strategic planning, and pathways to achieving climate targets.
- Industrias Peñoles informed on the reforestation effort with native species in La Laguna region (Coahuila-Durango).
- Peñoles and Fresnillo PLC are to support micro business and auto-development economic proyects in Caborca, Sonora.
On the image below: Sheeted quartz veining in granodioritic intrusive rocks in Sinaloa. Picture by Jorge Cirett.