By Jorge Cirett
During the 44th week of the year (October 29th to November 4th, 2018), at least 26 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. Prize Mining, Southern Silver, Kootenay, Excellon, Colibri, Golden Minerals and Galore released advances in exploration. Consolidated Zinc and Telson released news on mining, while Endeavour, Excellon and Great Panther reported Q3 financial results. Aloro Mining and Sonoro Metals reported news related to financing. Goldplay and SilverCrest reported on advances on its properties, while Silver Bull presented an updated resource base. Marlin Gold and Golden Reign advance on their acquisition agreement and Colibri entered into a purchase agreement with Yaque Minerals. Golden Minerals is acquiring the Yoquivo property in Chihuahua. ON MEXICO ISSUES, CAMIMEX presented figures on the state of the mining industry in Mexico. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Colibri described its El Mezquite and Jackie projects. In Chihuahua Golden Minerals released high-grade results from its Yoquivo project, and Kootenay presented interesting results from early exploration on its Mecatona project. In Coahuila, Prize Mining is doing regional exploration on its Manto Negro project. In Durango, Southern Silver presented significant results from drilling on its CLM West claim group. In Zacatecas, Galore has received permit to drill on its El Alamo claim. ON FINANCING, Sonoro has completed a private placement for $500 K. Aloro Mining completed its placement for gross proceeds of C$800 K. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Goldplay reported results from sampling historical core at its San Marcial project in Sinaloa. Silver Bull presented an updated resource on its Sierra Mojada project in Coahuila. SilverCrest presented high-grade results from infill drilling at its Las Chispas project in Sonora. A PEA is to be completed for a 1,000 to 1,500 tonne/day underground operation. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Golden Reign, Marlin Gold and Sailfish Royalties continue to advance its purchase agreement. Colibri Resource is to acquire Yaque Minerals S.A. de C.V. owned by OnTop Capital. Golden Minerals holds an option to acquire the Yoquivo property in Chihuahua.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- In AIMMGM’s past conference in October, Fernando Alnis from CAMIMEX (Cámara Minera de México) presented figures from the mining industry in Mexico. Mineral royalties collected US$220 M in 2017, adding up to US$631 M on the last four years. An additional US$248 M were invested by companies in the communities and environment where they are located. Just in mining duties over concessions amounted to US$132.9 M. In the attractiveness index for investment, Mexico has gone from the 11th place in 2011 to the 44th place in 2018. At the same time our direct competitors for investment in the mining industry are doing better, Peru passed from the 39th to the 19th position, and Chile from the 6th to the 8th position. Points suggested to make of Mexico a mining country include improvements in security, a better infrastructure (railways, ports), certainty on land rights, a common ground with other mining countries in fiscal terms, administrative efficiency in the application and issuing of mining concession titles and certainty and transparency in the timely granting of permits.
- Prize Mining Corp. engaged a consultant to compile a GIS database for a regional exploration program on its 17,659 ha Manto Negro project in Coahuila. The 3,000 m drill program continues with its focus on the Granizo and Pilar Grande areas.
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp. reported drill results from its CLM West claim group, adjacent to its Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango. One of three holes intercepted 3.0 m @ 168 g/t Ag, while the other two returned strong (up to 0.1%) arsenic and antimony anomalies. “The mineralization represents the first significant silver intercept identified on the CLM West claim group where drilling is targeting new Ag-Au epithermal systems”.
- Kootenay Silver Inc. staked 2,857 ha in Chihuahua, creating the Mecatona project. The Ag dominant epithermal system is hosted in veins and breccias, with one anomalous structure running for more than 1.7 km, and another zone hosting stockworks and quartz veinlets in an 80 m wide argillic alteration zone. Results from 78 samples collected at the property are as high as 735 g/t Ag, 6.94 g/t Au, 3.5% Pb, 8.0% Zn.
- Excellon Resources Inc. received title to concessions that increases its land position to over 45,000 hectares on its consolidated “Evolución” property, within the Miguel Auza district in Durango, along strike to HECLA’s San Sebastian mine. As announced in previous press releases, initial drilling has already shown broad mineralized intersections with anomalous Au, Ag, Pb, Zn, “including discrete higher‐grade zones of carbonate veining, bladed calcite and silica with galena, sphalerite and pyrite”.
- Colibri Resource Corp. described the El Mezquite and Jackie projects in Sonora, its new properties through the acquisition of Yaque Minerals S.A. de C.V. from On Top Capital Ltd. The 180 hectares Mezquite project contains an alteration zone 2 km by 1 km , within which are at least four zones of sulfide oxidation related to contacts with a silicified feldspar porphyry. Assay results from 321 rock chip samples returned 42 samples over 0.1 g/t Au, averaging 0.74 g/t Au and up to 3.41 g/t Au, 198 g/t Ag. The 1,130 ha Jackie project is 2 km south of El Mezquite, and abuts to the east with the Santana project, owned by Minera Alamos.
- Golden Minerals Co. released high-grade results from sampling at its Yoquivo project in Chihuahua. Highlighted results comprise 6 m @ 5.9 g/t Au, 937 g/t Ag; 6 m @ 1.7 g/t Au, 399 g/t Ag from the Pertenencia vein. 4 m @ 2.3 g/t Au, 489 g/t Ag from the Central breccia zone. 2.9 m @ 1.7 g/t Au, 345 g/t Ag from the San Francisco vein. To date 756 samples have been collected, identifying a series of low-sulfidation quartz veins and breccias. A regional exploration program was launched to search for additional veins.
- Galore Resources Inc. has been granted permits to begin a 12-hole, 3,000 m diamond core drill program at its El Alamo claim in Zacatecas. El Alamo consists of Cretaceous sediments, mostly limestone with some siltstone and chert, and major faults bounding the project. Alteration and mineralization are represented by silicification and iron-oxide bodies after sulfides. Some of the higher grade gold values are associated with extensively iron-oxide jasperoid breccias. A shallow drill percussion camping collared 35 holes in 2012, and defined a 500 long by 200 wide target zone.
- Consolidated Zinc Ltd. presented its September 2018 quarterly activities report. The Group entered a 12 month toll treatment and offtake purchase agreement with Grupo Mexico to treat its ore at the Santa Eulalia’s concentrator plant, with mining at the Plomosas mine in Chihuahua beginning on September 13th 2018. A detailed costing study (DCS) was completed and incorporated into a bankable feasibility study (BFS). “During the quarter the Mexican Environmental Authority (PROFEPA) provided the Company with an MIA Exception (EPA exception) for the mine and processing plant area”. Cash balance at the end of the period was $0.61 M.
- Telson Mining Corp. reported concluding a renewable power purchase agreement for its Campo Morado mine in Guerrero. The ten-year agreement sets the price for consuming 42.00 GW per year at a price that is 32% lower than the last nine-month average price paid at the site.
- Endeavour Silver Corp. reported third quarter 2018 financial results. During the period silver production (1.43 M Oz) increased 13% and gold (12,968 Oz) decreased by 5%, with a silver equivalent production of 2.4 M Oz, and the Terronera pre-feasibility study was completed with improved project economics. On the financial side a net loss of $5.5 M was recorded, with EBITDA decreasing 8% to $5.6 M, mine operating cash flow decreased 20% to $9.6 M, cash cost rose to $8.86 per Oz Ag (net of gold credits) and All-in sustaining cost fell to $16.14 per Oz Ag, with a working capital of $57.4 M, whilst $5.6 M were raised through ATM financing.
- Excellon Resources Inc. reported financial results for the third quarter 2018. During the period 10,974 of ore were produced, 17,907 tonnes processed (ore and stockpile), grading 416 g/t Ag, 3.47% Pb, 4.33% Zn (for ore) and 151 g/t Ag,1.36% Pb, 1.45% Zn (stockpile), recovering 89.9% Ag, 74.2% Pb, 78.2% Zn to produce 171.2 K Oz Ag, 824 K Lb Pb, 1,005 K Lb Zn. Revenue was $2.6 M ($7.6 M a year earlier) for a gross loss of $3.5 M from operations, cash cost of $29.94 per Ag Oz and All-in sustaining cost of $44.02 per Ag Oz. Financial results were impacted by lower production, lower by-product prices and associated price adjustments. Management changes were made at the Platosa mine, and now production and development rates have increased.
- Great Panther Silver Ltd. presented third quarter 2018 financial results. During the period 92.9 K tonnes were milled to produce 448.8 K Oz Ag, 4,737 Oz Au (adding to 1.023 M Oz AgEq) at cash cost $12.79 per Ag Oz ($13.59 per AgEq Ag Oz), all-in sustaining cost $19.74 ($16.56 per AgEq Oz). The revenue was $11.7 M, with a net loss of 3.642 M, EBITDA of $(3.679) and a networking capital at end of period of $57.9 M. Lower metal prices, lower production levels and a large concentrate load that could not be shipped before the end of the period impacted on the lower results.
- Aloro Mining Corp. closed a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of C$800 K. Agnico Eagle, which owns 8.7% of Aloro shares, bought half the issued shares. (Los Venados, Sonora).
- Sonoro Metals Corp. completed a non-brokered private placement, for gross proceeds of $500 K (Cerro Caliche, Sonora).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd. reported results from sampling historical drill core from its San Marcial project in Sinaloa. These results are said to support the open pit potential for the historical NI-43-101 resource at the property. Highlighted results comprise 47.8 m (TW) @ 93 g/t AgEq (including 17.3 m @ 160 g/t AgEq); 42.0 m @ 61 g/t AgEq (including 24.8 m @ 79 g/t AgEq); 9.4 m @ 126 g/t AgEq.
- Silver Bull Resources Inc. provided an updated NI43-101 resource report for the Sierra Mojada project in Coahuila. The open pit resource includes a high grade zinc zone of 13.5 M tonnes @ 11.2% Zn and a high grade silver zone with 15.2 M tonnes @ 114.9 g/t Ag. The total measured and indicated resources 70.4 M tonnes @ 38.6 g/t Ag, 3.4% Zn containing 5.354 billion pounds zinc and 87.4 M ounces silver.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. is to complete a preliminary economic assessment (PEA) for Las Chispas project in Sonora. A 1,000 to 1,500 tonne per day underground mining operation is being considered, with a counter-current decantation facility and Merrill Crowe recovery circuit similar to the nearby Santa Elena and Mercedes mines. Cyanidation with a possible add-on flotation circuit followed by intense leaching is being evaluated for the higher-grade ore, to raise the 86% Ag, 98% Au recovery with standard cyanidation only. SilverCrest is proceeding with the construction of a 500 m long, 4.5 m wide, 4.0 m high decline, and drifting 600 to 800 m along the mineralized structure to collect information on vein grade, width continuity, grade reconciliation, mineability and bulk sampling.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. reported the best drill intercept to date for its Las Chispas project in Sonora. Results from 7 drill holes from the in-fill program were released, with highlighted intervals (TW) comprising 9.9 m @ 14.4 g/t Au, 2,132 g/t Ag (this is the best intercept to date, including 4.5 m @ 30.3 g/t Au, 4,498 g/t Ag); 3.8 m @ 6.78 g/t Au, 1,090 g/t Ag; 3.5 m @ 33.06 g/t Au, 2,092 g/t Ag; 11.1 m @ 3.99 g/t Au, 580 g/t Ag; 5.1 m @ 4.16 g/t Au, 197 g/t Ag; The weighted average for the five holes on the Area 51 is 6.0 m @ 11.41 g/t Au, 1,369 g/t Ag. A total of 351 holes have been collared, for 94,735 m of core, with 119 drill intercepts grading more than 1,000 g/t AgEq.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Sailfish Royalty Corp. announced its shareholders voted in favor of the restructuring of the company’s gold stream on the San Albino project. The stream restructuring is a condition to the closing of the transaction in which Golden Reign Resources Ltd. will acquire all issued shares of Marlin Gold Mining Ltd. (Trinidad, Sinaloa).
- Marlin Gold Mining Ltd. shareholders voted in favour of a special resolution to approve the plan of arrangement and certain connected transactions, pursuant to which Golden Reign Resources Ltd. (“Golden Reign”) will acquire all of the issued and outstanding shares of Marlin (Trinidad, Sinaloa).
- Golden Reign Resources Ltd. and Marlin Gold Mining Ltd. have been granted the final court order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia approving the plan of arrangement pursuant to which Golden Reign will acquire all of the issued and outstanding common shares of Marlin (Trinidad, Sinaloa).
- Colibri Resource Corp. entered into a share purchase agreement with OnTop Capital Ltd. to purchase all issued and outstanding shares of Yaque Minerals S. A. de C.V., a wholly owned subsidiary of OnTop. Yaque assets consist of El Mezquite and Jackie mineral exploration properties close to the Santana project owned by Minera Alamos in Sonora. “As consideration for the Transaction, Colibri has agreed to issue a convertible debenture in the amount of $1 million CDN bearing an annual interest rate of 2.5% which is convertible at any time, in whole or in part, over the next 5 years into common shares of Colibri at $0.20 per share for a total of up to 5 million shares”.
- Golden Minerals Co. holds an option to purchase the six concessions that comprise the 2,367 hectares Yoquivo property in Chihuahua, for payments totaling $0.5 M over four years and subject to a 2% NSR royalty.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image above, intermediate composition dike with chilled margins intruding andesitic volcanic rocks in Jalisco. Picture by Jorge Cirett.