By Jorge Cirett
During the 33rd week of the year (August 16th to August 22nd, 2021), at least 22 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, four companies posted exploration advances on their properties, four posted on mining/quarterly reports, two on mining issues, four on financing or shares and five more on project development or resource definition and one more on a property acquisition. ON MEXICO ISSUES, No relevant news. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Aloro Mining informed on continuation of drilling at Los Venados. In Chihuahua, Radius Gold announced one more drilling campaign at Amalia. In Sinaloa, Vizsla Silver updated on exploration at Panuco. In Nayarit, Xali Gold submitted drilling applications for El Dorado. ON MINING, Americas Gold and Silver, Prime Mining, First Majestic Silver, and Impact Silver presented second quarter 2021 reports. Mexus Gold shipped its first activated carbon. Gold Resource halted activities due to increase in COVID cases among its workforce. ON FINANCING, Candelaria Mining will not complete the proposed private placement. Galore Resources is to extend the expiry date of some warrants. Kootenay Silver is to spin-out its Canadian assets into another company. Magna Gold closed the previously announced private placement for C$10 M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Sierra Metals announced a 10,000 tpd PEA for its Bolivar mine in Chihuahua. Fabled Silver Gold released more results from drilling at Santa Maria. Excellon Resources released high grade Ag-Pb-Zn drilling results from Platosa. GoGold Resources informed on results of drilling at the Casados deposit at Los Ricos project. Sonoro Gold reported results of metallurgical tests at Cerro Caliche. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Starcore International Mines acquired the Tecouitla claims in Sonora. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, No relevant news.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- No relevant news.
- Xali Gold Corp. informed exploration permit applications have been submitted for El Dorado project in Nayarit. The plus 2,000 m program envisaged will test potential lateral extensions to high-grade zones to better define plunging mineralization shoots, and collection of a bulk sample from El Hundido mine.
- Radius Gold Inc. announced that the phase five drilling campaign has commenced at its Amalia project in Chihuahua. Pan American Silver Corp., the project operator plans to deploy a second rig to test El Cuervo target.
- Aloro Mining Corp. informed that Alamos Gold Inc. is to resume the reconnaissance drill program on the Los Venados claims in Sonora. Alamos has already exceeded its first year exploration commitment; the current program is focused on outcropping low sulfidation epithermal mineralization.
- Vizsla Silver Corp. provided an update on its Panuco project in Sinaloa. Due to the current rise in Covid cases in Sinaloa, Vizsla will keep the current pause in activities at the property until the end of the month, and then gradually increase activities through September. Resource drilling is being done at Napoleon (950 x 350 m area) and Tajitos (550 m x 300 m area), exploration drilling is testing the Napoleon, Cinco Señores, Cordon de Oro and Animas Corridors. Preliminary metallurgical testing is being done on Napoleon vein material, and geotechnical and hydrogeological studies are being conducted. Drilling programmed for the remainder of 2021 comprises 35,000 m.
- Americas Gold and Silver Corp. reported second quarter 2021 consolidated financial and operational results. For Mexico, the company reported that it “signed an agreement with the Mexican Ministries of Economy, Interior and Labour along with union representatives committing to a re‐opening at the Cosalá Operations. The agreement contemplates immediate right to possession of the property with joint inspections coordinated by the Ministry of Labor, so that the mine and mill can re‐start operations in a safe and sustainable manner”. (Note from writer. – The mine was paralyzed by a dispute between two unions over a year ago, with strong political connotations).
- Prime Mining Corp. reported its operational and financial results for the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2021, end in April 2021. During April the company completed a private placement for gross proceeds of CAN$28.75 M. Also in the period, drilling at Los Reyes in Sinaloa intersected up to 20.1 m @ 3.25 gpt Au, 389 gpt Ag, 3.8 m @ 3.69 gpt Au, 305 gpt Ag, 4.5 m @ 8.95 gpt Au, 74 gpt Ag; 18.7 m @ 1.96 gpt Au, 63 gpt Ag; 39.0 m @ 0.7 gpt Au, 29 gpt Ag. Cash at the end of the period stood at Can$32 M.
- First Majestic Silver Corp. announced the consolidated financial results for the second quarter 2021. During the period the company processed 826.2 K tonnes, to produce 3.27 M Oz Ag, or 6.43 Oz AgEq at $13.89 per Oz AgEq and an AISC of $19.42 per Oz AgEq. In Mexico, the production came from San Dimas, in Durango, La Encantada, in Coahuila, and Santa Elena, in Sonora.
- Mexus Gold US. confirmed the first shipment of activated carbon from its Santa Elena mining operation in Sonora (Not to mistake with First Majestic’s Santa Elena mine, also in Sonora).
- Gold Resource Corp. informed that as result of a steep climb in COVID-19 infections, the company is reducing its activities at the Don David mine in Oaxaca. The measure is to last for at least ten days. “The operations will continue with those employees and contractors who have agreed to stay in the camp for periods longer than the usual rotation to create a bubble”.
- Impact Silver Corp. announced its financial and operational results for the second quarter 2021. The cash balance at the end of the quarter was $22.4 M. The mill processed 37.8 K tonnes @ 147 gpt Ag to produce 150.3 K Oz Ag. Some results of its ongoing 10,000 m drilling campaign include 9.8 m @ 211 gpt Ag and 13.85 m @ 186 gpt Ag.
- Candelaria Mining Corp. informed that the company will not be proceeding with the proposed brokered private placement previously announced (Pinos, Zacatecas, Guerrero).
- Galore Resources Inc. proposed to extend the expiry date of 5.6 M share purchase warrants from September 2021 to September 2024 (Dos Santos, Zacatecas).
- Kootenay Silver Inc. board approved a spin-out of 80% of its Canadian exploration assets. Once the arrangement becomes effective, Kootenay shareholders will own shares in two public companies, one focusing in Mexico and the other in Canada (Columba, Chihuahua).
- Magna Gold Corp. closed the previously announced private placement of C$10 M convertible debentures (San Francisco, Sonora).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Sierra Metals Inc. announced a 10 K tonnes per day positive preliminary economic assessment (PEA) to include iron ore production at its Bolivar mine in Chihuahua. The report envisages an updated after-tax net present value (NPV) of US$361 M at an 8% discount rate, an IRR of 27.9%, net after-tax cash flow of US$650 M with a life of mine (LOM) copper grade of 0.72% and iron ore at 13.5%, an operating cost of US$25.62/tonne and US$1.50 per Lb CuEq, to produce 55 M Lb Cu in 14 years. Current indicated resources stand at 19.4 M tonnes @ 0.77% Cu, 15.1 gpt Ag, 0.21 gpt Au, 13.8% Fe, containing 149.1 K tonnes Cu, 9.4 M Oz Ag, 127.8 K Oz Au, and inferred resources at 21.4 M tonnes @ 0.78% Cu, 14.2 gpt Ag, 0.21 gpt Au, containing 167.1 K tonnes Cu, 9.8 M Oz Ag, 145.6 K Oz Au.
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp. announced more results from surface drilling at its Santa Maria project in Chihuahua. Highlighted core length intervals comprise 0.85 m @ 0.98 gpt Au, 10 gpt Ag; 0.80 m @ 0.09 gpt Au, 63 gpt Ag, 0.3% Pb, 0.6% Zn; 20.10 m @ 0.18 gpt Au, 35 gpt Ag, 1.1% Pb, 0.7% Zn, 0.09% Cu (including 5.90 m @ 0.30 gpt Au, 97 gpt Ag, 3.3% Pb, 1.5% Zn, 0.25% Cu).
- Excellon Resources Inc. released results from underground drilling at Platosa, in Durango. Some of the highlighted core length intervals: 3.0 m @ 227 gpt Ag, 2.3% Pb, 2.0% Zn, 0.1 gpt Au; 1.3 m @ 360 gpt Ag, 10.1% Pb, 10.2% Zn; 1.3 m @ 692 gpt Ag, 9.3% Pb, 6.3% Zn; 1.2 m @ 544 gpt Ag, 5.9% Pb, 3.9% Zn; 1.6 m @ 1,647 gpt Ag, 12.3% Pb, 11.6% Zn, 0.1gpt Au; 5.2 m @ 1,051 gpt Ag, 12.1% Pb, 13.1% Zn, 0.2 gpt Au (including 2.3 m @ 1,985 gpt Ag, 22.8% Pb, 17.2% Zn); 2.5 m @ 784 gpt Ag, 7.7% Pb, 13.9% Zn, 0.3 gpt Au; 3.1 m @ 581 gpt Ag, 5.7% Pb, 11.4% Zn, 0.1 gpt Au; 1.4 m @ 1,050 gpt Ag, 3.4 % Pb, 2.0% Zn; 3.1 m @ 289 gpt Ag, 2.2% Pb, 3.7% Zn. “Drilling from underground continues to define and expand known mineralization ahead of production at the 623, NE-1 and NE-1S Mantos. Most significantly, drilling into the 623 and NE-1 Mantos continues to improve understanding and confidence, and extend mineralization in these areas”.
- GoGold Resources Inc. informed on results from seven drill holes at the Casados deposit at the Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Highlighted core length intervals: 19.0 m @ 0.54 gpt Au, 131 gpt Ag (including 1.3 m @ 5.16 gpt Au, 1,319 gpt Ag); 9.5 m @ 0.50 gpt Au, 233 gpt Ag; 41.6 m @ 1.25 gpt Au, 218 gpt Ag (including 8.9 m @ 4.71 gpt Au, 698 gpt Ag); 19.2 m @ 0.53 gpt Au, 185 gpt Ag (including 8.5 m @ 1.14 gpt Au, 594 gpt Ag); 8.2 m @ 0.26 gpt Au, 82 gpt Ag. “The Casados Veins strike nearly E-W, dips 45o to the north and is hosted in andesitic tuffs and is exposed on surface for about 400 metres along strike…… A zone of silicification up to 50 metres wide envelopes the vein and this resistant outcrop forms a steep ridge along the strike of the vein, particularly on the north or hanging wall side”.
- Sonoro Gold Corp. reported results from metallurgical tests on mineralized material from Cerro Caliche in Sonora. The column metallurgical test returned an average of 74% recovery of gold for the 80% minus 12.5 mm feed material. The 4.7 tonnes sample was obtained from ten PQ (8.5 cm diameter) holes totaling 428 lineal meters. Little to no sulfur and organic carbon were observed on the testing. “There were no obvious variations in gold recovery related to ore zone or material type (vein breccia vs. stock work)”.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Starcore International Mines Ltd. informed on the acquisition of the 3,088 hectares Tecoutila claims from Minera Tecouitla, S.A. de C.V.. Previous exploration in the property reported nine veins with lengths of up to 2.1 Km, widths of 0.5 to 1.1 m and grades of up to 10.30 gpt Au, 241 gpt Ag.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- No relevant news.
On the image below: Workings and vein trace on a project in northern Sonora. Picture by Jorge Cirett.