Slickensides on a fault plane
By Miguel A Heredia
During the 36th week of the year (September 4th to September 10th, 2023), at least 19 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with 10 reporting resources and development of their properties, four disclosing deals and corporate issues, two commenting on Mexican issues, two informing on exploration results, and one announcing financing issues. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Silver Bull secured USD $9.5M litigation funding to pursue damages claim against the Mexican government (Sierra Mojada property, Coahuila). Torex Gold, Fortuna Silver, Reyna Silver, and Prime Mining reported the best drilling intercepts in Mexico on the fourth week of August, 2023. ON EXPLORATION, In Chihuahua, Reyna Silver reported results from three initial holes of its 2023 drilling campaign being conducted at its Batopilas project in Chihuahua. In Oaxaca, Vortex Metals completed an environmental study at its Zaachila project. ON MINING, no relevant news. ON FINANCING, Aura Minerals announced that its common shares are now eligible for trading in the United States on the OTCQX® Best Market under the symbol “ORAAF” (Aranzazu Mine, Zacatecas). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Gatos Silver announced that it will report an updated mineral reserve estimate, mineral resource estimate and life of mine plan for its Cerro Los Gatos Mine, Chihuahua. Kootenay reported that it has initiated a new phase of diamond drilling at its Columba project in Chihuahua. Fortuna released drilling results and announced the discovery of the Yessi Vein, a new blind mineralized structure at its San Jose mine in Oaxaca. SilverCrest filed an updated independent technical report for its Las Chispas mine operation in Sonora. Torex reported results from the 2023 drilling program at its EPO deposit at its Media Luna project, Guerrero. Prime Mining released drill results from its ongoing 60,000m drilling program conducted at its Los Reyes project in Sinaloa. Sierra Madre provided an update of its activities at the recently acquired, past-producing La Guitarra Mine in the State of Mexico. Chesapeake provided a metallurgical and mineralogical update for its Metates deposit in Durango. Heliostar released drill results of three new holes completed, expanded the limits of the High Grade Panel, and defined new growth targets at its Ana Paula project in Guerrero. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Argonaut appointed its new Vice President, Exploration (San Agustin mine, Durango). Plata Latina announced management changes (El Naranjillo, Guanajuato). Gatos announced results from its annual general meeting of shareholders (Los Gatos Mine, Chihuahua). Argonaut appointed its new VP Exploration (El Castillo mine, Durango). Tarachi Gold announced Directors changes (Tarachi project, Sonora). ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, no relevant news.
ON MEXICO ISSUE
- Silver Bull Resources Inc., secured USD $9.5M litigation funding to pursue damages claim against the Mexican government under the agreement between the United States of America, Mexico, and Canada and the North American Free Trade Agreement. The arbitration arises from Mexico’s unlawful expropriation and other unlawful treatment of Silver Bull and its investments resulting from an illegal blockade of Silver Bull’s Sierra Mojada project that began in September 2019 and continues to this day.
- Torex Gold Resources inc., Fortuna Silver Mines Ltd., Reyna Silver Corp., and Prime Mining Corp., reported the best drilling intercepts in Mexico on the first week of September, 2023. Details are shown in the table below:
- Reyna Silver Corp., reported results from three initial holes of its 2023 drilling campaign being conducted at its Batopilas project in Chihuahua. Drilling highlights include hole BA23-58 collared on the San Roberto-Roncesvalles Vein/Structure with 218 g/t Ag over 30m, including 616 g/t Ag over 9m, including 1,405 g/t Ag over 1.45m, including 936 g/t Ag over 1.50m; hole BA23-57 collared on the Escritorio Vein with 1,360 g/t Ag over 0.25m, and 6,440 g/t Ag over 0.20m; and hole BA23-60 collared also on the Escritorio Vein with 1,342 g/t Ag over 0.80m.
- Vortex Metals Inc., completed an environmental study at its Zaachila project, Oaxaca. “The outcomes of the now-completed study will form the basis of an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report, to be submitted to the Federal Environmental Office, SEMARNAT. This report will support Vortex Metals’ application for advanced mineral exploration activities, including drilling, as it advances its pursuit of high-grade copper targets identified in earlier geochemical targeting analyses”.
- No relevant news.
- Aura Minerals Inc., announced that its common shares are now eligible for trading in the United States on the OTCQX® Best Market under the symbol “ORAAF”. The DTC is a subsidiary of the Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation, a U.S. company that manages the electronic clearing and settlement of publicly traded companies (Aranzazu Mine, Zacatecas).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Gatos Silver Inc., announced that it will report an updated mineral reserve estimate, mineral resource estimate and life of mine plan for its Cerro Los Gatos Mine, Chihuahua. The company will host a conference call and webcast to discuss the 2023 updates.
- Kootenay Silver Inc., reported that it has initiated a new phase of diamond drilling at its Columba project in Chihuahua. To date Kootenay has drilled 135 holes for just over 27,000m on the project. The new phase will consists of a minimum of 3,000m in 12-15 holes focused on expanding wide high-grade intercepts hit to date in the west-northwest trending D-Vein, and was designed “to culminate in a maiden resource for the third quarter of next year as financing will allow at which point a decision on a PEA can be made”.
- Fortuna Silver Mines Ltd., released drilling results of three infill holes totalling 1,118m, and announced the discovery of the Yessi Vein, a new blind mineralized structure at its San Jose mine in Oaxaca. Drilling highlights (true widths reported) include hole SJOM-1387 with 2.25 g/t Au and 243 g/t Ag (412 g/t AgEq) over 0.5m, plus 2.27 g/t Au and 229 g/t Ag (400 g/t AgEq) over 0.9m, plus 6.40 g/t Au and 820 g/t Ag (1,299 g/t AgEq) over 9.9m, including 27.52 g/t Au and 3,516 g/t Ag (5,580 g/t AgEq) over 0.9m; hole SJOM-1391 with 5.92 g/t Au and 779 g/t Ag (1,223 g/t AgEq) over 0.4m, plus 3.13 g/t Au and 386 g/t Ag (621 g/t AgEq) over 5m, including 3.51 g/t Au and 455 g/t Ag (718 g/t AgEq) over 1m, including 4.32 g/t Au and 488 g/t Ag (852 g/t AgEq) over 0.5m, plus 10.36 g/t Au and 1,525 g/t Ag (2,302 g/t AgEq) over 0.3m; and hole SJOM-1396 with 2.5 g/t Au and 295 g/t Ag (483 g/t AgEq) over 0.7m. “Extension drilling intersected a new blind zone of alteration and brecciation (the Jessi Vein), approximately 200m further east of the Victoria Mineralized Zone, resulting in the intersection of 1,299 g/t AgEq over 9.9m in hole SJOM-1387 and 621 g/t AgEq over 5m in hole SJOM-1391, highlighting the potential size and strength of San Jose´s mineralized system.”
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., filed an updated independent technical report for its Las Chispas mine operation in Sonora. The report titled “Las Chispas Operation Technical Report” is dated September 5, 2023, and has an effective date of July 19, 2023.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc., reported results from the 2023 drilling program at its EPO deposit at its Media Luna project, Guerrero. “Results from the 2023 program continue to highlight the potential to upgrade Inferred resources to the Indicated category and expand Inferred resources through step-out drilling to the north and south of the deposit”. Drilling highlights from the 2023 resource categorization and resource expansion program are shown in the tables 1 and 2:
Through the end of July, approximately 24,140 m and 54 holes were drilled as part of the 2023 drilling program at EPO, with assays received for 34 holes. This represents 72% of the approximately 35,000 m of total drilling planned at EPO in 2023.
- Prime Mining Corp., released drill results from its ongoing 60,000m drilling program conducted at its Los Reyes project in Sinaloa. The reported drill results are from Las Primas and Fresnillo generative targets. Las Primas is outside of the previously reported 2023 Mineral Resource Estimate, while Fresnillo is a highly prospective earlier stage target, where drilling intercepted thick mineralized structures, between the Z-T and Central Zones. Drilling highlights (true widths reported) at Las Primas include hole 23LP-14 with 10.85 g/t Au and 115 g/t Ag (12.34 g/t AuEq) over 2.45m, including 15.4 g/t Au and 162 g/t Ag (17.5 g/t AuEq) over 1.70m; hole 23LP-06 with 1.7 g/t Au and 2 g/t Ag (1.73 g/t AuEq) over 9.6m, including 4.88 g(/t Au and 5 g/t Ag (4.94 g/t AuEq) over 2.95m, including 8.2 g/t Au and 8 g/t Ag (8.3 g/t AuEq) over 1.5m; and hole 23LP-07 with 0.36 g/t Au and 19 g/t Ag (0.6 g/t AuEq) over 4.45m, plus 0.87 g/t Au and 26 g/t Ag (1.2 g/t AuEq) over 14.60m, including 1.87 g/t Au and 33 g/t Ag (2.29 g/t AuEq) over 2.95m, plus 0.94 g/t Au and 21 g/t Ag (1.21 g/t AuEq) over 7.95m. Drilling highlights (true widths reported) at Fresnillo include hole 23FRE-12 with 0.56 g/t Au and 14 g/t Ag (0.74 g/t AuEq) over 23.8m, plus 0.41 g/t Au and 5 g/t Ag (0.41 g/t AuEq) over 20.8m; hole 23FRE-19 with 1.06 g/t Au and 45 g/t Ag (1.65 g/t AuEq) over 10.9m, including 6.63 g/t Au and 438 g/t Ag (12.3 g/t AuEq) over 0.85m, plus 0.48 g/t Au and 13 g/t Ag (0.65 g/t AuEq) over 13.7m, plus 0.31 g/t Au and 9 g/t Ag (0.43 g/t AuEq) over 11.05m; and hole 23FRE-20 with 0.31 g/t Au and 7 g/t Ag (0.4 g/t AuEq) over 10.2m, plus 0.87 g/t Au and 40 g/t Ag (1.39 g/t AuEq) over 7.45m, including 2.12 g/t Au and 109 g/t Ag (3.43 g/t AuEq) over 0.9m, plus 0.33 g/t Au and 7 g/t Ag (0.42 g/t AuEq) over 13.75m.
- Sierra Madre Gold and Silver Ltd., provided an update of its activities at the recently acquired, past-producing La Guitarra Mine in the State of Mexico. The company is currently working on completing a new resource estimate by year-end in accordance with NI 43-101, concurrent with evaluating historic cost data that would feed into a Mine Restart Study. “Sierra Madre is focused on preparing the mine, plant, and equipment for a prompt restart”. “The Company anticipates that, given adequate funding and assuming project execution tracks internal projections, restart of production at La Guitarra could be feasible within 20-22 months”.
- Chesapeake Gold Corp., provided a metallurgical and mineralogical update for its Metates deposit in Durango. The latest results from this phase of metallurgical testwork are very encouraging. “A systematic, methodological approach individually testing several parameters under different conditions is being undertaken in 42 columns. The results have identified certain parameters that provide the conditions where the leach technology oxidizes mineralization at a faster rate than our previous testwork. Under these conditions, we believe the targeted oxidation curve will be achieved and provide the foundation for preparing the pre-feasibility study early next year”. “Chesapeake will continue to advance the metallurgical program. As the columns meet the oxidation curve target and switch to cyanide leaching, additional columns will be loaded and tested to confirm the improved oxidation rates. At the completion of this process, the results will be released outlining the oxidative curves and precious metal recoveries through cyanide leaching. Once sufficient metallurgical work is available, management plans to commence a pre-feasibility study to further de-risk Metates and advance the project toward our goal of developing one of America’s largest gold and silver deposits”.
- Heliostar Metals Ltd., released drill results of three new holes completed, expanded the limits of the High Grade Panel, and defined new growth targets at its Ana Paula project in Guerrero. These holes are the first to assess mineralization down-plunge of the high grade panel at the core of Ana Paula. Drilling highlights include hole AP-23-303 with 1.31 g/t Au over 64m, plus 6.46 g/t Au over 98m, including 16.39 g/t Au over 33m; hole AP-23-304 with 4.73 g/t Au over 85.5m, including 25.56 g/t Au over 9.5m; and hole AP-23-305 with 3.2 g/t Au over 47.6m, including 22.9 g/t Au over 22.9m, and including 16.15 g/t Au over 2.8m, plus 2.14 g/t Au over 33.1m, including 4.77 g/t Au over 7.4m. These intercepts expand the High Grade Panel to 280m of total length from near surface. It will grow the size of the High Grade Panel in the resource update due in November. The company also defined new growth targets through a combination of new data and review of historic information. Drill results identified a Parallel Panel target located 50m north of the High Grade Panel with multiple high grade intercepts. Drilling highlights include hole AP-23-299 with 6.95 g/t Au over 38m, including 23.3 g/t Au over 6m; hole AP-23-304 with 10.7 g/t Au over 4m, plus 4.13 g/t Au over 5.5m; and hole AP-23-296 with 13.6 g/t Au over 2m. The company also identified the Deep Expansion Zone beneath the High Grade Panel, with open intercepts. Selective drill intercepts include hole AP-11-70 with 29.1 g/t Au over 13.5m, and hole AP-13-215 with 6.3 g/t Au over 40m. In addition, Heliostar also identified two new targets: the West Breccia target, with gold mineralization and a pathfinder element signature as strong as the High Grade Panel, and San Luis target, a large jasperoid/vein zone with open gold drill intercepts and untested high gold grades (3.0 m grading 11.35 g/t gold) on surface. The company plans to commence the drill test of these new targets in September, 2023.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Argonaut Gold Inc., appointed its new Vice President, Exploration (San Agustin mine, Durango).
- Plata Latina Minerals Corporation announced the retirement of its President and CEO and Chair of the Board of Directors, and the appointment of its replacement, effective immediately (El Naranjillo, Guanajuato).
- Gatos Silver Inc., announced results from its annual general meeting of shareholders (Los Gatos Mine, Chihuahua).
- Tarachi Gold Corp., announced the appointment of a new member to its Board of Directors, as well as the retirement of a former Director (Tarachi project, Sonora).
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- No relevant news.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, slickensides on a fault plane in an epithermal vein-bx system in a project in Durango, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.