Kaolin in a Hg prospect
By Miguel A Heredia
During the third week of the year (January 14th to January 20th, 2019), at least 31 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with thirteen communicating production results, eight informing on exploration results, seven disclosing deals and corporate issues, one announcing financing rounds, one discussing Mexican issues, and one reporting a feasibility study for mine expansion on its property. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Napoleon Gomez Urrutia, mining leader and senator of the MORENA party, declared that is ready to go over the mining companies that do not pay enough taxes, pollute the environment and have too much ground in mining concessions. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, San Marco, Silver Viper, Mexus, Sonoro, and Ridgestone announced drilling results from their Chunibas, La Virginia, Santa Elena, Cerro Caliche, and Rebeico properties respectively. In Chihuahua, Mammoth posted a technical report on its 2017-2018 drilling program at its Tenoriba project, and VVC released drilling results from its Samalayuca project. In Sinaloa, Goldplay outlined 5 new exploration targets at its San Marcial project. ON MINING, Alamos Gold, Alio, Premier, Coeur, GoGold, McEwen, Excellon, Avino, Hecla, Goldcorp, Fortuna and First Majestic reported Q4 and full year 2018 production results from their Mexican operations. Mako Mining reported that are pumping water from its Taunus pit at La Trinidad mine in Sinaloa and expect to commence mining by month end. Great Panther provided 2019 production and cost guidance for their Mexican operations. ON FINANCING, Impact closed the second and final tranche of a non-brokered private placement for $1.19M for a total raise of $1.7M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Leagold announced a feasibility study for the expansion of its Los Filos mine in Guerrero. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Goldplay announced the listing of its shares on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (San Marcial, Sinaloa). Mako reported that now holds a 100% interest in the La Trinidad mine in Sinaloa. SilverCrest announced executive appointments (Las Chispas project, Sonora). Oroco provided an update on its option to acquire an additional interest in its Santo Tomas project in Sinaloa. Prize provided an update about an order on regulatory matters issued by the Alberta Securities Commission (Manto Negro project, Coahuila). Newmont and Goldcorp entered into a definitive agreement to create the world´s leading gold company. Minera Alamos launched new website (Santana project, Sonora).
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Napoleon Gomez Urrutia, mining leader and senator of the MORENA party, declared that is ready to go over the mining companies that do not pay enough taxes, pollute the environment and have too ground in mineral concessions. The mining leader is reviewing mineral concessions and said that mining companies should contribute to the government with more revenues. He also said that the Mining Law of Mexico has to be regulated in accordance with the interests of the country. “We are looking at the cancellation terms for a concession and its extension, because 50, 100 years is too long,” he explained. The senator also mentioned not to have in mind any particular tax for companies.
- San Marco Resources Inc., released phase 1 drilling results from its Chunibas project in Sonora, where, under a JV option agreement with a subsidiary of Antofagasta plc., the company is exploring several Cu-Ag rich mineralized targets mapped on surface. Drilling carried out at Chunibas project consisted of 1,640m in 7 shallow drill holes and tested 2km of the NW-SE striking mineralized corridor with 5 drill holes, and 400m of a NE-SW section perpendicular to the corridor with 2 drill holes. The drilling program has confirmed the existence of a typical Cu-Ag manto-type system. Highlights include hole CHD18-05 with 7.5m of 0.1% Cu and 2 g/t Ag and 22m of 0.05% Cu and 0.7 g/t Ag; hole CHD18-06 with 3m of 0.08% Cu and 0.6 g/t Ag; and hole CHD18-07 with 6m of 0.06% Cu and 0.3 g/t Ag.
- Silver Viper Minerals Corp., reported second batch drilling results from its la Virginia project in Sonora. Significant results are at El Rubi Zone in hole LV18-201 with 13.3m (6m TW) with 3.16 g/t Au and 228 g/t Ag (6.42 g/t AuEq), including 4m (1.8m TW) of 3.75 g/t Au and 258 g/t Ag (7.43 g/t AuEq), and including 1m (0.45m TW) of 8.30 g/t Au and 782 g/t Ag (19.47 g/t AuEq); hole LV18-200 with 12m (9m TW) of 1.52 g/t Au and 133 g/t Ag (3.42 g/t AuEq), including 2m (1.5m TW) of 5.51 g/t Au and 537 g/t Ag (13.18 g/t AuEq); and hole LV18-203 with 10m (5m TW) of 1.1 g/t Au and 97 g/t Ag (2.48 g/t AuEq), and 12m (6m TW) of 1.37 g/t Au and 81 g/t Ag (2.53 g/t AuEq), including 1m (0. 5m TW) of 13.20 g/t Au and 780 g/t Ag (24.34 g/t AuEq). A third and final batch of results are pending and will be released once the assays are received.
- Mexus Gold US, announced that the 1st phase of drilling at its Santa Elena project in Sonora has been completed. Final results are expected to arrive in February 2019. Until now, “Hole 7 is the best evidence of high-grade gold at 9.89 g/t Au with an attractive width of 5.3 meters and an overall average of 3.12 g/t Au”.
- Sonoro Metals Corp., completed 45 RC holes totaling 4,604m at its Cerro Caliche project in Sonora, confirming a luster of eight northwest trending gold-dominant structures surrounded by parallel sheeted veinlets and stockwork veinlets. Significant drill intersections are Highlights from the final 14 holes include 12.19m of 11.2 g/t Au and 5.9 g/t Ag (11.3 g/t AuEq); 4.57m of 4.67 g/t Au and 2 g/t Ag (4.69 g/t AuEq); and 12.19m of 0.82 g/t Au and 8.5 g/t Ag (0.95 g/t AuEq).
- Ridgestone Mining Inc., released final assay results from an initial drill program conducted at its Rebeico project in Sonora. Significant intersections are in hole 18REB6 with 3.25m of 8.31 g/t Au and 2.41% Cu, including 0.5m of 6.95 g/t Au and 1.31% Cu, and 1m of 17.7 g/t Au and 5.95% Cu, and 1m of 5.59 g/t Au and 0.83% Cu; and hole 18REB10 with 1.5m of 36.1 g/t Au and 1.22 g/t Ag, and 1.46 g/t Au and 0.07% Cu.
- Mammoth Resources Corp., posted an internal technical report based on 13 holes totaling 2,700m drilled during its 2017-2018 drilling program conducted on its Tenoriba project in Chihuahua. Some of the conclusions are: At El Moreno area, feldspar porphyry intrusive rocks were intersected displaying porphyry –style mineralization including disseminated sulphides and complex stockworks-sulphide rich veinlets. Hole TEN 17-02 intersected 80m of 0.17 g/t AuEq: Phyllic-pyrite alteration was also identified in drill core and consists of illite-tourmaline and dickite; K-feldspar flooding was observed at deeper intervals and the presence of 7.2m of 3.59% Cu in hole TEN 17-03. At the Carneritos area, mineralization identified is more typical of high sulphidation and consists of narrow pyrite rich veinlets in a stockwork texture associated with silica, dickite and local patchy vuggy silica alteration. Hole TEN 17-06 intersected 126.08m of 0.52 g/t AuEq, including 25m of 1.21 g/t AuEq.
- VVC Exploration Corporation, announced the results for the last 11 drill holes from its Samalayuca project in Chihuahua. The most significant intersections are in hole SC18-056 with 19.65m of 0.32% Cu; hole SC18-057 with 28m of 0.79% Cu; and hole SC18-058 with 5m of 0.55% Cu. “The 2017/18 drilling program confirmed significant, near surface, copper mineralization over an approximate 5km strike length.”
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd., outlined with soil and rock sampling five new exploration targets at its San Marcial project in Sinaloa. Faisanes, Cabañas, Nava, Pedregal, and Chachalaca targets have been prioritized for follow up exploration and detailed geological mapping in H1, 2019. “The Cabañas and Faisanes targets demonstrate very similar geology to the historic resource, while the Nava and Pedregal targets indicate a NE-SW trending structural setting, superimposed on a volcanic package of rhyolites and andesites cut by dioritic dykes. The Chachalaca trend is interpreted as a NW-SE trending structural setting, with geology dominated by rhyolites and andesites”.
- Alamos Gold Inc., reported its Q4 and annual 2018 production results from their Mulatos and El Chanate mines in Sonora. Production from Mulatos in Q4 was 35.6K Oz Au for a full year 2018 of 175.5K Oz Au. At El Chanate mine, Alamos produced 35.6K Oz Au in Q4 2018 for an annual 2018 production of 43.7K Oz Au. Alamos Gold expects to produce between 150K-160K Oz Au in 2019. Mining activities ceased at El Chanate mine in Q4 2018 and has transitioned to residual leaching which will result in a declining rate of production through 2019.
- Alio Gold Inc., announced its Q4 and full year 2018 production results from its San Francisco Mine in Sonora. At its San Francisco mine the company achieved a Q4 production of 10.3K Oz Au for a full year 2018 production of 54K Oz Au. The company reported that “there are sufficient stockpiles to operate at full capacity throughout 2019 (as at July 1, 2018, the low-grade stockpile consisted of approximately 7.2 M tonnes of 0.26 g/t gold material (60.2K contained Oz Au). Gold production at San Francisco mine is expected to remain consistent with current production levels for at least the first half of 2019”.
- Premier Gold Mines Limited, reported its Q4 and full year 2018 production results from its Mercedes mine in Sonora. In Q4, the company produced 22.5K Oz Au and 119K Oz Ag for an annual 2018 production of 68.7K Oz Au and 309.2K Oz Ag.
- Coeur Mining Inc., released its Q4 and full 2018 production results from its Palmarejo mine in Chihuahua. In Q4, Coeur milled 378,389 tonnes of 2.49 g/t Au and 185 g/t Ag to produce 31.2K Oz Au and 1.9M Oz Ag with metallurgical recoveries of 97.6% and 84% respectively. For the full year 2018, the company milled 1,382,471 tonnes of 3.1 g/t Au and 202 g/t Ag to produce 122.7K Oz Au and 7.5M Oz Ag with metallurgical recoveries of 88.9% and 83.8% respectively.
- GoGold Resources Inc, announced its Q4 2018 production results from its Parral operation in Chihuahua. In Q4, GoGold produced 1,828 Oz Au and 168K Oz Ag for a total of 325K Oz AgEq.
- Mc Ewen Mining Inc., presented its Q4 and annual 2018 production results from its El Gallo mine in Sinaloa. The company produced 5.6K Oz AuEq in Q4 for a total full 2018 production of 39.1K Oz AuEq. By the end of Q2 2018, mining and crushing activities ceased at El Gallo mine and were followed by residual heap leaching. Closure, reclamation, and residual heap leaching activities are ongoing and will continue for several years.
- Excellon Resources Inc., announced its Q4 and annual 2018 production results from its Platosa mine in Durango. Excellon milled 16,570 tonnes of 556 g/t Ag, 4.9% Pb and 6% Zn in Q4 to produce 274.3M Oz Ag, 1.5M Lb Pb, and 1.8M Lb Zn. In the full 2018 year, Excellon milled 57,475 tonnes of 488 g/t Ag, 4.8% Pb, and 6.9% Zn to produce 917.7M Oz Ag, 5.4M Lb Pb, and 7.9M Lb Zn.
- Avino Silver & Gold Mines Ltd., presented its Q4 and full year 2018 production results from their Avino, San Gonzalo and Above Ground Stockpiles in Durango. In Q4, the company milled 189,574 consolidated tonnes of 64 g/t Ag, 0.5 g/t Au, 0.44% Cu to produce 288.6K Oz Ag, 1,973 Oz Au, and 1.4M Lb Cu with metallurgical recoveries of 75%, 64% and 72% respectively. For the full 2018 year, Avino milled 708.7K tonnes of 73 g/t Ag, 0.53 g/t Au, and 0.43% Cu to produce 1.3M Oz Ag, 8K Oz Au, and 4.8M Lb Cu with metallurgical recoveries of 76%, 65%, and 72% respectively.
- Hecla Mining Company, announced its Q4 and annual 2018 production results from its San Sebastian mine in Durango. Hecla produced 443.3K Oz Ag and 2,928 Oz Au in Q4 and 2M Oz Ag and 15K Oz Au in the full 2018 year. The mill operated at an average of 429tpd in 2018.
- Goldcorp Inc., released its Q4 and annual 2018 production results from their operations. Goldcorp did not report results by mine but produced 630K Oz Au in Q4 and 2.3M Oz Au in the full 2018 year.
- Fortuna Silver Mines Inc., reported its Q4 and annual 2018 production results from its San Jose mine in Oaxaca. Fortuna milled 256,181 tonnes of 1.58 g/t Au and 230 g/t Ag in Q4 to produce 11.8K Oz Au and 1.7M Oz Ag. In the full 2018 year, Fortuna milled 534,773 tonnes of 1.75 g/t Au and 260 g/t Ag to produce 53.5K Oz Au and 8M Oz Ag.
- First Majestic Silver Corp., presented its mine by mine Q4 2018 production results from their Mexican operations. The table below shows production details for each mine:
- Mako Mining Corp., reported that are still in the process of dewatering the Taunus pit at its La Trinidad mine in Sinaloa and has already reached bench -56, where there are over 57M tonnes of blasted rock of 1.35 g/t Au. The company expects to commence mining by month end, at which time crushing and stacking on the leach pad can once again resume. There is an estimated of 30K Oz of recoverable Au left in the Taunus pit. The Company is still evaluating the safest and most effective mine plan to recover the remaining Oz Au.
- Great Panther Silver Limited, provided 2019 production and cost guidance for their two Mexican operations: Topia in Durango and the Guanajuato mine complex which includes the San Ignacio and the Guanajuato mines. Great Panther expects to produce in 2019 over 3.7-4.0 M AgEq. The company also has taken the step of realigning their Mexican operations to reduce cost and maximize mine operating cash-flow, with a modest reduction in their production ounces.
- Impact Silver Corp., closed the second and final tranche of a non-brokered private placement for $1.19M for a total raise of $1.7M. Gross proceeds will be used to explore its Zacualpan project in State of Mexico for additional potential targets, to improve the efficiency at its Guadalupe production mill, and for general working capital purposes.
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Leagold Mining Corporation, announced a feasibility study for the expansion of its Los Filos mine in Guerrero. Highlights of the FS are: production of 3.3M Oz Au over a 10-year mine life (2019-2028) at an average AISC of $795; and proven and probable mineral reserves of 111.3M tonnes of 1.23 g/t Au containing a total of 4.5M Oz Au. Post expansion (2021 onwards) include an average annual production of 350K Oz Au at AISC of $759/Oz and an average annual production exceeding 400K Oz Au from 2012 to 2013.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd, announced the listing of its shares on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange under the symbol GPE effective January 15, 2019 (San Marcial project, Sinaloa).
- Mako Mining Corp., completed the acquisition of Golden Reign Resources Ltd., from Marlin Gold Mining Ltd., and now holds a 100% interest in the la Trinidad mine in Sinaloa.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., announced the appointment of its VP Exploration and Technical Services and its Executive VP Business Development (Las Chispas project, Sonora).
- Oroco Resource Corp., engaged an independent QP to prepare a technical report on its Santo Tomas property in Sinaloa. It allows Oroco to acquire an additional interest on the property.
- Prize Mining Corporation, provided an update about the order issued by the Alberta Securities Commission on December 21, 2019, requiring that all trading in securities of Prize cease and that Prize must cease trading in all securities. Prize applied for a further adjournment and now the Alberta Securities Commission issued a variation order dated January 14, 2019 to adjourn the hearing to February 1, 2019.
- Newmont Mining Corporation & Goldcorp Inc., entered into a definitive agreement to form Newmont Goldcorp and create the world´s leading gold company. Newmont will acquire all of the outstanding common shares of Goldcorp in a stock-by-stock transaction valued in $10B. “Newmont Goldcorp’s Reserves and Resources will represent the largest in the gold sector and will be located in favorable mining jurisdictions in the Americas, Australia and Ghana, representing approximately 75 percent, 15 percent and 10 percent, respectively”. The Boards of Directors of both companies have unanimously approved the transaction, which is expected to be closed in Q2, 2019.
- Minera Alamos Inc., launched a new brand and improved website.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, kaolin in a Hg prospect in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.