By Jorge Cirett
During the 31st week of the year (August 2nd to August 8th, 2021), at least 34 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, seven companies posted exploration advances on their properties, twelve posted on mining/quarterly reports and eight more on project development or resource definition. ON MEXICO ISSUES, No relevant news. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Aztec Minerals informed on soil sampling results at Cervantes; Canuc released information on current drilling at San Javier; Silver Spruce completed a 2,485 m RC drill program at El Mezquite. In Chihuahua, Monarca Minerals obtained the drill permit for San José. In Sinaloa, Brigadier Gold discovered silver rich copper mineralization associated to a porphyritic intrusive. In Durango, Silver Wolf Exploration informed on mapping and sampling at Ana Maria. In Oaxaca, Madoro Metals informed on skarn mineralization sampling at Yautepec. ON MINING, Excellon Resources, Starcore International, Consolidated Zinc, McEwen Mining, Equinox Gold, Torex Gold, Golden Minerals and Great Panther Mining presented quarterly reports. Equinox Gold reported the end of the illegal blockade at Los Filos. Altaley initiated a metallurgical testing program at Campo Morado. Avino Silver announced the re-start of mining operations at Avino. Guanajuato Silver is stockpiling material from El Cubo mine. ON FINANCING, Altaley Mining informed there is no reason for the decline in its stock price. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Fabled Silver released drilling results from Santa Maria. Orla Mining provided high-grade drill results from the Camino Rojo sulfide deposit. Orex Minerals informed on metallurgical results from Coneto. Prime Mining reported drilling results from Los Reyes. Defiance Silver released drill results from its Zacatecas project. Mexican Gold Mining announced a positive PEA on Las Minas. Discovery Silver released drill results from Cordero. Mag Silver reported results from 2020 drilling at Juanicipio. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, No relevant news. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, No relevant news.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- No relevant news.
- Silver Wolf Exploration Ltd. informed on exploration at its 2,549 hectares Ana Maria project in Durango. Four field geologists and a consulting senior geologist are working in the property, mapping and collecting 290 rock chip samples to date. Hyperspectral and lidar drone surveys have been carried out, and an IP geophysical program is being planned.
- Madoro Metals Corp. provided an update on exploration on the southern portion of the Yautepec property in Oaxaca. Skarn mineralization has returned up to 1,200 gpt Ag, 4.0% Cu, 20.0% Pb, 5.0% Zn, 45 ppm Mo, 2.74% As, 1,620 ppm Ba, 1.4 ppm Hg, 285 ppm Sb. “The skarn-hornfels complex lies just outside of the recently mapped southwestern margin of the Yautepec caldera …….. The area lies 13 kilometers distant from similar polymetallic Ag-base metal mineralization found along the eastern caldera margin at the historically identified Las Minas area”.
- Aztec Minerals Corp. updated on exploration at its 3,649 hectares Cervantes property in Sonora. A 477-soil sample program was completed in a 100 by 100 meters grid covering 518 ha; additionally 110 rock chip samples were collected. The soil sampling returned up to 3,605 ppb Au, 1,380 ppm Cu and 52 ppm Mo, whereas the rock chip samples returned up to 21.3 ppm Au, 2,300 ppm Cu, 625 ppm Mo. The soil sampling completed in this program elevates the total covered by such a survey to 1,200 ha, or 35% of the project area.
- Brigadier Gold Ltd. informed on a silver-rich copper discovery at its Picachos project in Sinaloa. A 110 m trench dug in the Las Colinas prospect returned results of 9.0 m @ 135 gpt Ag, 0.05 gpt Au, 0.2% Cu, 0.3% Pb, 0.1% Bi, 47 ppm W (including 2 m @ 478 gpt Ag, 0.08 gpt Au, 0.2% Cu, 0.5% Pb, 0.3% Bi). “The significance of this geological finding is that these mineralized porphyritic apophyses with associated copper and other metals may expand at depth and intensify”.
- Canuc Resources Corp. informed on exploration advances at its San Javier project in Sonora. A drill hole targeting a magnetic high encountered massive magnetite at 343 m of depth, and is still on it at 380 m. Sphalerite, marmatite and chalcopyrite have been identified in stringers during preliminary logging, and are to be sampled. Six high-grade silver samples were sent for mineralogical studies, with most of the silver minerals consisting of halides (AgCl, AgBr, AgI, AgF) and acanthite.
- Silver Spruce Resources Inc. announced the completion of the phase 1 reverse circulation drilling at El Mezquite in Sonora. A total of 2,485 m were drilled in twenty holes on a 400 by 600 m area. “Collars were defined by several northeast-trending veins, structural lineaments and oxide/sulphide transitions interpreted from geological mapping, precious metal assays, multi-element geochemistry, epithermal alteration assemblages and coincident 3D IP chargeability anomalies”.
- Monarca Minerals Inc. obtained the environmental permit (Informe Preventivo) to complete its planned 5,000 m drill program at its San José project in Chihuahua. Drilling is expected to commence within the next four weeks.
- Excellon Resources Inc. reported second quarter 2012 financial results. During the period 21.8 K tonnes were mined, 21.6 K tonnes milled at La Platosa, Durango, averaging 489 gpt Ag, 5.14% Pb, 6.48% Zn, recovering 87.0% Ag, 78.6% Pb, 79.4% Zn, to produce 296 K Oz Ag, 1.93 M Lb Pb, 2.46 M Lb Zn, or 489 K Oz AgEq. Cash cost was $11.96 per Ag Oz and AISC $26.69 per Ag Oz.
- Starcore International Mines Ltd. filed the results for the year ended April 30, 2021. During the year the San Martin mine in Queretaro milled 225.5 K tonnes @ 1.63 gpt Au, 24.7 gpt Ag, recovering 87.3% Au, 57.5% Ag, to produce 10.5 K Oz Au, 103.4 K Oz Ag, or 11.8 K Oz AuEq. The mine operating cash cost per AuEq Oz was US$1,056.
- Consolidated Zinc Ltd. presented its quarterly activities report. Commercial production commenced at the refurbished Plomosas plant in Chihuahua, with 8,655 tonnes mined, 9,079 tonnes processed @ 15.1% Zn, 7.4% Pb, 54 gpt Ag, with recoveries of 52.5% Zn, 41.2% Pb.
- Equinox Gold Corp. reported that the illegal community blockade at its Los Filos mine in Guerrero has been removed, and regular operations resumed on all areas.
- Altaley Mining Corp. initiated a metallurgical testing program to increase base and precious metals recoveries at its Campo Morado mine in Guerrero. Testing by the previous operator in 2013 achieved 45-65% Au and 75-81% Ag, while current recoveries are 20% Au, 40% Ag. “The Leachox process is a partial sulphide oxidation process for the recovery of gold and silver from sulphide minerals….. but central to the Leachox process is the Aachen shear reactor. In the leach process, it enhances the kinetics and reduces reagent consumptions (oxygen, cyanide, and lime) which otherwise can be prohibitive”.
- Avino Silver & Gold Mines Ltd. announced mining operations restarted at its Avino mine in Durango. “Management expects throughput at the mill will ramp-up quickly to levels prior to shut down. In addition, we are infill-drilling the oxide tailings resource that sits within our tailings storage facility, as well as continuing the previously reported exploration drill program”.
- McEwen Mining Inc. reported its second quarter 2021 results, including figures from its operations in Mexico. At El Gallo, in Sinaloa, residual leaching produced 1,300 AuEq Oz from the leach pad. “The residual leaching activities at El Gallo are expected to wind down in early 2022”.
- Equinox Gold Corp. delivered its second quarter 2021 financial and operating results, including information from its Mexican operations. During the period the acquisition of Premier Gold Mines Ltd. taking 100% control of the Mercedes mine in Sonora. Its updated production guidance for 2021 includes 120-140 K Oz Au from Los Filos and 30-35 K Oz Au from Mercedes, at cash cost of $1,590-$1,660 and $750-$800 respectively. “The primary change to gold production guidance is from Los Filos, where illegal blockades during the quarter disrupted mining activities and delayed access to higher-grade ore”. Production guidance was reduced by 50 K Oz Au due to these illegal blockades.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. reported financial and operational results for the second quarter 2021. During the period 118,054 Oz Au were produced, generating free cash flow of $21.9 M, taking the net cash to $191.5 M. The new mineral resource update of 3.54 M Oz AuEq at 5.27 gpt Au on indicated resources for Media Luna was released past June. The expansion of the open pit at El Limón was approved and is expected to result in the increase of 150 K Oz Au in additional production, providing a smoother transition to the Media Luna deposit mining. The Media Luna feasibility study is to contemplate a conventional mining basis, although a smaller satellite deposit could be developed with the proprietary Muckahi mining system.
- Golden Minerals Co. provided financial results for the second quarter 2021. The company obtained a $2.5 M net operating margin related to the Rodeo mine operations in Durango., where 3,634 Oz Au were produced. The mill in Velardeña processed the Rodeo ore at a rate of greater than 500 tpd during May and June. Cash and cash equivalents were $6.9 M by the end of the quarter.
- Great Panther Mining Ltd. announced consolidated financial results for the second quarter 2021, including figures from its Mexican operations. A total of 56 K tonnes were milled in Mexico averaging 327 gpt AgEq.
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd. is stockpiling ore from El Cubo mine in Guanajuato in advance of the recommencement of operations at El Cubo mill. The mineralized material is coming from the 2175, 1850 and Cebolletas stopes, which are summarized as the Villalpando stopes, same that will provide most of the material for the operation of the plant in the immediate future.
- Altaley Mining Corp. advised there is no operational or financial reason for the decline in its stock price (Campo Morado, Guerrero).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp. released drilling results from its Santa María Project in Chihuahua. Highlighted core length results comprise 9.0 m @ 0.10 gpt Au, 50 gpt Ag; 1.50 m @ 0.06 gpt Au, 144 gpt Ag; 5.40 m @ 0.41 gpt Au, 29 gpt Ag; 2.20 m @ 0.11 gpt Au, 122 gpt Ag; 3.70 m @ 0.18 gpt Au, 26 gpt Ag; 2.90 m @ 0.06 gpt Au, 93 gpt Ag (including 1.15 m @ 0.07 gpt Au, 191 gpt Ag). New underground drilling stations are being planned to better define the structures.
- Orla Mining Ltd. provided results of oriented in-fill core drilling at its Camino Rojo sulfide deposit in Zacatecas. Highlighted core length intervals in the press release comprise 108.0 m @ 2.38 gpt Au; 111.0 m @ 2.63 gpt Au; 58.5 m @ 2.51 gpt Au; 115.5 m @ 2.11 gpt Au; 64.6 m @ 3.04 gpt Au; 55.5 m @ 4.47 gpt Au; 55.5 m @ 4.95 gpt Au; 58.5 m @ 2.10 gpt Au; 87.0 m @ 2.27 gpt Au; 44.7 m @ 3.26 gpt Au. “The drill results confirm the presence of wide, higher-grade gold zones within the sulphide mineral resource, and the Company intends to further explore the potential for open pit or underground bulk mining methods”.
- Orex Minerals Inc. informed its joint venture partner (55%) Fresnillo PLC has received metallurgical testing results for the Coneto project in Durango. Recoveries in seven zones with head grades of 0.80-3.00 gpt Au, 9-229 gpt Ag averaged 66.1 to 98.5% Au and 72.9 to 92.3% Ag.
- Prime Mining Corp. reported drill results from six holes collared on San Miguel East, at its Los Reyes project in Sinaloa. Highlighted true width (tw) intervals comprise 7.5 m @ 2.50 gpt Au, 118 gpt Ag (including 3.4 m @ 4.57 gpt Au, 140 gpt Ag); 15.0 m @ 1.02 gpt Au, 51 gpt Ag (including 3.0 m @ 4.11 gpt Au, 13 gpt Ag); 1.4 m @ 1.59 gpt Au, 5 gpt Ag; 5.6 m @ 0.82 gpt Au, 7 gpt Ag; 0.7 m @ 1.55 gpt Au; 3.8 m @ 1.58 gpt Au, 14 gpt Ag, 1.4 m @ 1.18 gpt Au, 42 gpt Ag. “Discovery of the Fresnillo structure within San Miguel East’s current and expanding open-pit boundary is favorable and will reduce the stripping ratio of waste rock. Results from our initial drilling at Las Primas are early stage and very promising with the potential to add another deposit within the area of our existing eight deposits”.
- Defiance Silver Corp. released drill results from its Zacatecas project in Zacatecas. Highlighted core-length results comprise 3.15 m @ 0.09 gpt Au, 118 gpt Ag, 0.2% Zn (including 1.25 m @ 0.20 gpt Au, 254 gpt Ag); 2.22 m @ 0.01 gpt Au, 138 gpt Ag; 16.47 m @ 0.17 gpt Au, 106 gpt Ag, 0.3% Zn (including 8.28 m @ 0.17 gpt Au, 166 gpt Ag, which in turn includes 4.55 m @ 0.12 gpt Au, 241 gpt Ag, 0.2% Zn).
- Mexican Gold Mining Corp. announced a positive preliminary economic assessment (PEA) study for its Las Minas project in Veracruz. A new mineral resource estimate of 4.13 M tonnes @ 1.96 gpt Au, 4.6 gpt Ag, 1.08% Cu, 14.8% Magnetite in indicated resources and 5.20 M tonnes @ 1. 44 gpt Au, 6.0 gpt Ag, 0.95% Cu, 17.5% Magnetite in inferred resources, containing 443 K AuEq Oz and 361 K AuEq Oz respectively, with the estimated recoveries of 80% Au, 70% Ag, 90% Cu, 90% Magnetite. The PEA envisages an 8.5-year mine life with cash cost of $786 per AuEq Oz and an AISC of US$928 per AuEq Oz.
- Discovery Silver Corp. released results from 21 diamond drill holes at its Cordero project in Chihuahua. Highlighted core length intercepts comprise 132.6 m @ 78 gpt Ag, 0.11 gpt Au, 1.7% Pb, 2.8% Zn, or 260 gpt AgEq (including 46.3 m @ 110 gpt Ag, 0.10 gpt Au, 2.4% Pb, 5.9% Zn; 77.1 m @ 55 gpt Ag, 0.12 gpt Au, 1.4% Pb, 1.8% Zn, or 190 gpt AgEq (including 19.6 m @ 137 gpt Ag, 0.25 gpt Au, 3.7% Pb, 3.2% Zn); 86.2 m @ 51 gpt Ag, 0.09 gpt Au, 1.2% Pb, 2.2% Zn or 192 gpt AgEq (including 36.5 m @ 97 gpt Ag, 0.16 gpt Au, 2.3% Pb, 4.3% Zn); 81.4 m @ 43 gpt Ag, 0.05 gpt Au, 0.9% Pb, 2.5% Zn, or 184 gpt AgEq (including 44.6 m @ 60 gpt Ag, 0.07 gpt Au, 1.3% Pb, 3.4% Zn). The upcoming resource estimate is to be released later this quarter.
- Mag Silver Corp. reported results from 2020 drilling on the Juanicipio project (56%/44% Joint Venture between Fresnillo PLC and Mag Silver) in Zacatecas. Highlighted true width intercepts comprise 21.0 m @ 357 gpt Ag, 0.9 gpt Au, 1.6% Pb, 3.1% Zn, 0.2% Cu (including 6.1 m @ 1,023 gpt Ag, 1.6 gpt Au, 2.2% Pb, 1.7% Zn, 0.3% Cu); 18.1 m @ 198 gpt Ag, 3.9 gpt Au, 4.2% Pb, 10.0% Zn, 0.4% Cu in the Valdecañas Vein Deep Zone; 3.1 m @ 3,584 gpt Ag, 5.7 gpt Au, 0.5% Pb, 0.6% Zn; 5.2 m @ 1,356 gpt Ag, 3.3 gpt Au, 0.2% Pb, 0.2% Zn in the Valdecañas Vein Bonanza Zone; 10.3 m @ 112 gpt Ag, 0.6 gpt Au, 3.2% Pb, 6.2% Zn, 0.1% Cu; 7.6 m @ 101 gpt Ag, 2.4 gpt Au, 2.9% Pb, 3.5% Zn, 0.2% Cu in the Anticipada vein; 0.90 m @ 580 gpt Ag, 2.7 gpt Au in the Venadas vein; 1.9 m @ 607 gpt Ag, 9.8 gpt Au in the Valentina vein. A core length interval of 278.9 m @ 31 gpt Ag, 1.3% Zn, 0.1% Cu was obtained in the Skarn zone surrounding the Valdecañas Vein at depth.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- No relevant news.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- No relevant news.
On the image below: Low sulfidation epithermal quartz vein from a project in northern Sonora. Picture by Jorge Cirett.