By Jorge Cirett
During the 32nd week of the year (August 3rd to August 9th, 2020), at least 29 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, six of those were either opening or closing rounds of financing, and although it is difficult to assign the total amount to any given week, the announcements on this period add up to $25.56 M and C$31.9 M (dominated by Chesapeake’s $20 M and Excellon’s C$17.9 M). ON MEXICO ISSUES, First Majestic has been sued by the Tax revenue agency (SAT). The mining and metallurgical production increased 9.6% on the previous month. Alberto López Santoyo ended its functions heading the Dirección General de Minas del Estado de Sonora. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Colibri Resource updated on exploration at the Evelyn property in Sonora; Canuc Resources acquired a new claim at its San Javier project. In Sinaloa, Viszla Resources released drilling results from three more holes from its Panuco project. ON MINING, Endeavour Silver, Premier Gold, Torex Gold, Great Panther and Golden Minerals presented its financial or production reports for the Q2 2020. Mexus Gold is adding equipment to its Santa Elena mine in Sonora. ON FINANCING, six companies made announcements regarding the opening or closing of financing rounds, or financing related news: Canasil Resources ($1.56 M), Excellon Resources (C$17.9 M), Chesapeake Gold ($20 M), Impact Silver (C$7 M), Redstar Gold (C$7 M), Barksdale Resources ($4 M). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Pan American Silver released a new resource estimate for its La Colorada skarn deposit in Zacatecas. Sailfish Royalty updated on the Gavilanes property in Durango. GoGold released more drilling results from its Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Minera Alamos finalized the acquisition of the Cerro de Oro project in Zacatecas. Zanzibar Gold acquired the Sonora Gold property in Sonora. Inomin Mines executed the agreement to acquire the La Gitana project in Oaxaca. Barksdale Resources signed a LOI on the San Javier copper project in Sonora. Riverside Resources released the date of the incoming spin-out of El Capitan Mining. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Minera Saucito was certified on safety, work and health. Newmont Peñasquito, Fresnillo PLC and Torex Gold informed on health and community help activities in Zacatecas, Guerrero and Sonora.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Primero Mining (First Majestic) was sued by the SAT (Tax Agency). The company is accused of failing to fully pay for taxes by selling metals even below market prices to related parties. Another charge relates to the 2010 acquisition of the San Dimas mine in Durango, allegedly using a lower price tag than its real value. Last May the company warned it was to file a reclamation against the Mexican government on a multinational panel.
- The Mining and Metallurgic production in Mexico fell 16.9% in May, in an annualized basis, even if presenting a 9.6% increase on the April production.
- Gold has had an hectic week, reaching an all-time new high of $2,069 per Oz Au, while silver peaked at $28.40. The price of gold has appreciated 35% in the year, while silver is at a seven-year high.
- Francisco Quiroga, Mining subsecretary, informed production levels in Mexico are now back to the levels before the Coronavirus pandemic emergency that shut most operations.
- Alberto López Santoyo finalized its function as head of the Dirección General de Minas del Estado de Sonora. He had been on the post since 2015.
- Viszla Resources Corp. released drilling results from the Napoleon vein corridor at the Panuco project in Sinaloa. Highlighted core-length results comprise 27.0 m @ 47 gpt Ag, 0.65 gpt Au, 0.2% Pb, 0.8% Zn; 3.5 m @ 208 gpt Ag, 1.31 gpt Au, 0.3% Pb, 2.1% Zn; 8.5 m @ 48 gpt Ag, 0.32 gpt Au, 0.4% Pb, 1.1% Zn and 4.5 m @ 495 gpt Ag, 2.52 gpt Au, 0.5% Pb, 1.1% Zn in one hole. 22.6 m @ 141 gpt Ag, 1.05 gpt Au, 0.5% Pb, 0.8% Zn (including 1.0 m @ 619 gpt Ag, 5.54 gpt Au, 2.5% Pb, 3% Zn and 5.4 m @ 267 gpt Ag, 1.63 gpt Au, 0.4% Pb, 1% Zn) in a second hole. 3.4 m @ 41 gpt Ag, 1.39 gpt Au, 0.1% Pb, 0.4% Zn.
- Canuc Resources Corp. acquired a 151 ha mining concession that enveloped the NE of its land holdings at San Javier, Sonora. “The Company believes that there is a distinct possibility that silver-gold bearing breccia and stockwork zones can be confirmed along this trend with current exploration initiatives“.
- Colibri Resource Corp. updated on exploration at its Evelyn project in Sonora. Recent mapping and sampling of previously unmapped areas returned up to 27.5 gpt Au. Trenching has been recommended to establish geometry and potential length of mineralization, as well as a high resolution aeromagnetic survey.
- Mexus Gold US. is adding equipment to its Santa Elena mine in Sonora (Not to mistake for First Majestic’s Santa Elena mine, also in Sonora). Assays on material from Pit #1 averaged 2.1 gpt Au, with results of up to 16 gpt Au. Mexus intends to increase the size of the heap leach pad to contain up to 500 K tonnes.
- Endeavour Silver Corp. released its financial reports for the second quarter 2020. During the period 114.1 K tonnes were processed, producing 596.5 K Oz Ag, 5,817 Oz Au (1.06 M Oz AgEq) at cash cost $2.78, AISC $14.91. At Guanaceví in Durango, higher grade El Curso, Milache and SCS orebodies had a significant positive impact on the operating performance. At Bolañitos, Guanajuato, and El Compas, Zacatecas, re-start was slower due to smaller stockpiles and less stope preparation.
- Premier Gold Mines Ltd. Presented 2020 Q2 results. No production was reported from its Mercedes mine in Sonora, which was closed during the pandemic emergency. The company revised its mining plan, reducing production rates from 2,000 tpd to 1,200 tpd, consolidating from five mining portals to one and operating the processing plant on a campaign basis.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. released financial results for Q2 2020. Production at El Limón Guajes mine in Guerrero was suspended in April and partially resumed in May with the processing of low grade stockpiles. Gold production was 59,508 Oz, including 38,892 Oz in June, at cash cost $740 and AISC of $1,015 per Oz Au.
- Great Panther Mining Ltd. Reported financial results for the second quarter of 2020. From its Topia and Guanajuato mine Complex, 23.6 K tonnes were mined and 24.5 K tonnes milled @ 325 gpt AgEq.
- Golden Minerals Co. announced its financial results for the last quarter. The company had a revenue of $1.2 M and a net operating margin of $0.8 M on the lease of its processing plant, and received $0.9 M from an earn-in agreement with Barrick and $2.8 M form an equity offering (Rodeo, Durango).
- Canasil Resources Inc. closed its non-brokered private placement for total gross proceeds of $1.56 M. The placement was originally for $1 M (Nora, Durango).
- Excellon Resources Inc. closed the previously announced private placement, raising total gross proceeds of C$17.9 M. The funds will be used to repay a US$6 M bridge loan and exploration of its projects (Platosa, Durango).
- Chesapeake Gold Corp. arranged a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of $20 M (Metates, Durango).
- Impact Silver Corp. increased the previously announced private placement, aiming to gather up to C$7 M in gross proceeds (Zacualpan, Estado de México).
- Redstar Gold Corp. announced the commencement of a non-brokered private placement to raise aggregate gross proceeds of up to C$7 M (Cumaro, La Lola and Oso Negro in Sonora).
- Barksdale Resources Corp. intends to complete a non-brokered private placement financing for $4 M in gross proceeds (San Javier, Sonora).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Pan American Silver Corp. released a new mineral resource estimate for the La Colorada skarn deposit in Zacatecas. The inferred resource stands now as 100.4 M tonnes @ 44 gpt Ag, 0.20% Cu, 1.77% Pb, 4.29% Zn, containing 141 M Oz Ag, 199 K tonnes Cu, 1.8 M tonnes Pb, 4.3 M tonnes Zn. Drilling core-length highlights include 223.5 m @ 29 gpt Ag, 0.10% Cu, 1.00% Pb, 1.79% Zn; 101.3 m @ 44 gpt Ag, 0.21% Cu, 2.89% Pb, 3.92% Zn; 52.0 m @ 67 gpt Ag, 0.34% Cu, 1.37% Pb, 3.53% Zn; 83.6 m @ 23 gpt Ag, 0.27% Cu, 0.08% Pb, 4.21% Zn; 23.1 m @ 139 gpt Ag, 0.12% Cu, 3.99% Pb, 6.46% Zn; 28.2 m @ 57 gpt Ag, 0.06% Cu, 3.79% Pb, 3.18% Zn; 20.2 m @ 156 gpt Ag, 0.88% Cu, 5.99% Pb, 5.29% Zn.
- Sailfish Royalty Corp. updated on the Gavilanes property in Durango. The Gavilanes project covers 13,594 ha in the San Dimas district in Durango, with an historical indicated resource of 953 K tonnes @ 164.6 gpt Ag, 0.09 gpt Au, 0.06% Cu, 0.42% Pb, 0.41% Zn and inferred resources of 5.4 M tonnes @ 124.6 gpt Ag, 0.12 gpt Au, nil Cu, 0.4% Pb, 0.34% Zn, holding 6.14 M Oz AgEq and 28.3 M Oz AgEq respectively.
- GoGold Resources Inc. released results from the three first drill holes at La Trini on the Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Highlighted core-length intercepts comprise: 43.1 m @ 0.70 gpt Au, 91 gpt Ag (including 17.8 m @ 0.89 gpt Au, 132 gpt Ag, which includes 4.0 m @ 1.92 gpt Au, 225 gpt Ag); 42.8 m @ 0.40 gpt Au, 52 gpt Ag (including 10.5 m @ 1.23 gpt Au, 56 gpt Ag); 29.8 m @ 2.41 gpt Au, 532 gpt Ag (including (4.5 m @ 12.83 gpt Au, 3,289 gpt Ag).
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Minera Alamos Inc. finalized definitive agreements to acquire 100% interest in the Cerro de Oro gold project in Zacatecas. This deal increases the company’s land holdings in the district to 6,500 ha. Historical exploration includes 8,200 m of drilling in 76 holes and 6,000 m of trenching, with gold mineralization defined on a 500 m by 1,000 m stretch, oxidized to 70-80 m of depth, and open in multiple directions. Highlighted core–length drilling intercepts include 92 m @ 0.45 gpt Au, 70 m @ 0.75 gpt Au, 45 m @ 0.54 gpt Au, 70 m @ 0.40 gpt Au, 38 m @ 0.66 gpt Au, 30 m @ 1.29 gpt Au, 81.7 m @ 0.44 gpt Au, 38 m @ 0.44 gpt Au. Trenching results include: 75 m @ 0.67 gpt Au, 100 m @ 0.47 gpt Au, 200 m @ 0.50 gpt Au, 131 m @ 0.61 gpt Au. The deal involves the payment of $400 K and 2 M shares on closing, $300 K and 500 K shares on the first year, $400 K and 500 K shares on the second year, $800 K and 500 K shares on the third year and $1 M and 500 K shares on the fourth year. A $1 M bonus will be paid to the vendor upon the production of 50 K Oz Au.
- Zanzibar Gold Inc. signed an option with Minerales de Tarachi for a 100% interest in the 6,000 ha Sonora Gold concessions. “Zanzibar Gold Inc. is looking forward to commencing detailed mapping and sampling exploration program on this large and very prospective property with a view to be drilling within four to five months”. The option involves payments of $50 K and 1.5 M shares on signing, $50 K and 1.5 M shares in six months, $50 K and 2 M shares in 12 months, $50 K at 18 months, $50 K and 2 M shares at 24 months, $50 K at 30 months, $150 K and 3 M shares at 36 months, $150 K at 42 months, $200 K at 48 months, $500 K at 54 months and $2.7 M at 60 months, for a total of $4 M in cash and 10 M shares. The optionor retains a 3.0% NSR of which 1% can be bought by Zanzibar for US$1 M.
- Inomin Mines Inc. executed the agreement to acquire La Gitana and Peña Blanca projects in Oaxaca. The deal involves the payment of $25 K and the issuance of 1 M shares of Inomin, with a 1.5% NSR to Gunpoint on Peña Blanca and an existing 3.0% NSR to a third-party. Both properties are low-sulfidation epithermal systems with veins and dissemination within broad stockworks and breccias. La Gitana has a drilled zone of 500 m by 300 m with highlighted core length intercepts: 133.5 m @ 1.78 gpt Au, 101 gpt Ag; 33.0 m @ 0.64 gpt Au, 39 gpt Ag; 124.5 m @ 0.75 gpt Au, 24 gpt Ag; 145.5 m @ 0.40 gpt Au, 33 gpt Ag; 93.0 m @ 0.99 gpt Au, 19 gpt Ag; 63 m @ 1.27 gpt Au, 70 gpt Ag; 93.0 m @ 0.56 gpt Au, 20 gpt Ag; 60.0 m @ 1.20 gpt Au, 31 gpt Ag; 72.0 m @ 0.75 gpt Au, 35 gpt Ag; 28.5 m @ 1.55 gpt Au, 84 gpt Ag. At Peña Blanca, channel sampling of outcrops and trenches returned 23.5 m @ 2.26 gpt Au, 178 gpt Ag; 46 m @ 0.61 gpt Au, 7 gpt Ag; 23 m @ 0.61 gpt Au, 11 gpt Ag; 25 m @ 0.47 gpt Au, 8 gpt Ag; 3.0 m @ 5.9 gpt Au, 16 gpt Ag.
- Barksdale Resources Corp. signed a binding letter of intent (LOI) securing an option to acquire the San Javier copper gold project in Sonora. The 1,184 ha project has 30,000 m of historic drilling by several companies with mineralization previously characterized as of IOCG type. Bakersdale intends to follow up also on structurally controlled mineralization, especially in zones of high gold grades. Some highlighted historic drill results comprise: 191.6 m @ 0.43% Cu; 54 m @ 0.75% Cu; 69 m @ 0.57% Cu; 33 m @ 1.47% Cu; 87 m @ 0.97% Cu, 0.16 gpt Au; 15 m @ 4.34% Cu, 0.94 gpt Au; 189 m @ 0.38% Cu, 0.49 gpt Au (including 63 m @ 0.35% Cu, 1.26 gpt Au which includes 9.9 m @ 0.17% Cu, 5.23 gpt Au); 42.0 m @ 0.53 % Cu, 1.09 gpt Au. The deal involves the payment of C$50 K and 4 M shares on completion, C$100 K and 2 M shares on the first year, C$150 K and 3 M shares on the third year and $200 K and 4 M shares on the sixth year. There is also an NSR of 1% when copper is below $3.50 per pound, or 2% when the price is over $3.51 per pound.
- Riverside Resources Inc. announced the planned spin-out of the Peñoles project (Durango) to its shareholders by way of a plan of arrangement with Capitan Mining Inc. is to occur on August 14, 2020.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Minera Saucito obtained the ISO45001 international certification on “Sistemas de gestión de la seguridad y salud ocupacional en el trabajo” by the BSI Group.
- Newmont Peñasquito has realized 22,952 SARSCov-2 (Covid-19) fast tests since the recommencement of operations with 50% of the personnel.
- Fresnillo PLC has been sanitizing more than 35 public spaces for more than 100 days now in Caborca, Sonora.
- Fresnillo PLC donated two advanced mechanical respirators in Zacatecas, one to the Hospital General de Fresnillo and one to the Hospital General de Zona No.2 del Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMSS).
- Minera Media Luna (Torex Gold) with the community of Nuevo Balsas realized several activities to improve public spaces. More than 300 persons participated in the activities that included painting streets and sidewalks, moving 50 tonnes of garbage, repairing 80 public lights and planting 200 trees.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below: Hematitized and silicified breccia in the paleo water table of a low sulfidation epithermal system in Queretaro. Picture by Jorge Cirett.