Chalcedonic quartz breccia
By Miguel A Heredia
During the forty-one week of the year (October 7th to October 13th, 2019), at least 29 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with eight communicating production results, seven announcing financial rounds, five informing on exploration results, three commenting on Mexican issues, three reporting on resources and developments of their projects, two disclosing deals and corporate issues, and one notifying on social responsibility. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Newmont-Goldcorp confirmed that the illegal blockade of its Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas was lifted on October 8, 2019. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Azure released high grade results from 21 dump samples at its Alacran project, and announced the identification of five new targets. In Chihuahua, Sable completed a ground geophysical survey at its Vinata project, and the Pan American-Radius JV announced the commencement of the phase 3 exploration work on its Amalia project. In Durango, Chesapeake provided updated results from its on-going regional exploration program near its Metates project. In Zacatecas, Advance Gold initiated the second phase of a geophysical survey on its Tabasquena project. ON MINING, Newmont-Goldcorp, Coeur, Consolidated Zinc, Endeavour, GoGold, Great Panther, Hecla, and US Antimony presented Q3, 2019 production results from their Mexican operations. ON FINANCING, Advanced Gold announced its plan to rise up to $250K through a non-brokered private placement (Tabasquena project, Zacatecas). Discovery Metals announced its intention to complete a non-brokered private placement for gross proceed of up to $17M (Cordero deposit, Chihuahua). First Mexican announced the share cancellation, consolidation, and reinstatement of its common shares, as well as its intention to complete a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to $0.5M (Guadalupe property, Sonora). Fortuna Silver announced the closing of convertible debenture of the over-allotment option for gross proceeds of $46M (San Jose mine, Oaxaca). Goldplay announced its plan to complete a brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to $2.5M (San Marcial property, Sinaloa). Magellan announced agreements to convert an aggregate of $2.45M of outstanding debt obligations into a newly-created series of preferred shares of the company (San Dieguito de Arriba flotation plant, Nayarit). Vizsla received conditional approval from TSX for the acquisition of Canam Alpine Ventures LTD, and resumed trading on October 9, 2019 (Copala-Panuco project, Sinaloa). Santacruz reported that the Silva Family acquired an aggregate of 30M common shares, at a deemed price of CAD $0.05 per share for total deemed consideration of CAD $1.5M (Veta Grande project, Zacatecas). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, SilverCrest announced expansion drill results and the discovery of a new vein at its Las Chispas project in Sonora. Mexus Gold reported that the Merrill-Crow Au recovery plant for its Santa Elena mine in Sonora is en route. Mexican Gold presented a new NI 43-101 resource estimate for its Las Minas project in Veracruz. US Antimony informed that the fencing of the tailings pond, completion of the water well, and most of the major construction has been completed at its Puerto Blanco mill for its Los Juarez mine in Queretaro. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Canuc completed its final payment for the El Tule 1 claim at its San Javier project in Sonora. Santacruz completed the acquisition of Carrizal Mining and reported that the Silva Family acquired an aggregate of 30M common shares. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Alamos Gold received the corporate social responsibility (CSR) best practices award, for its achievements in social, economic and environmental sustainability (Mulatos mine, Sonora).
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Newmont-Goldcorp Corporation, confirmed that the illegal blockade of its Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas was lifted on October 8, 2019, however, operations remain temporarily suspended pending to further assurances. “The company continues to work closely with the federal and state governments toward a sustainable, long-term solution, and lifting of the blockade paves the way for the government-sponsored dialogue to resume”.
- Azure Minerals Limited, released high grade results from samples collected from 21 dumps that surround some of the historical old workings in the southeast area of its Alacran project in Sonora, and announced the identification of five new targets. This sampling returned very high grades with maximum values of 3,675 g/t Ag, 24.1 g/t Au, 2.3% Cu, 33.5% Pb, and 21.0% Zn. 10 samples returning values greater than 1,000 g/t Ag (average of 21 samples = 1,073g/t Ag); 17 samples returning values greater than 1.0g/t Au (average of 21 samples = 4.43g/t Au); 10 samples returning values greater than 1.0% Cu (average of 21 samples = 0.95% Cu); 12 samples returning values greater than 10.0% Pb (average of 21 samples = 14.92% Pb); and 10 samples returning values greater than 10.0% Zn (average of 21 samples = 9.28% Zn). “This first-pass sampling is very encouraging and further systematic sampling and detailed mapping of the veins will commence shortly to provide targets for follow-up trenching and drilling”.
- Sable Resources, completed 170km of GroundMag conducted along E-W lines spaced 200m apart, and 8,950m of CSAMT surveys in nine lines at its Vinata project in Chihuahua. “The outcropping NNE epithermal vein system, which represents the main target at the project, appears coincident with a MagLow running on the western margin of the rhyolite intrusion for over 3 km in strike. Some stratigraphic features are also defined on the Mag sections; including a well-defined MagLow feature observed at the contact between the rhyolite intrusion and the interpreted limestones that underlie the upper volcanic sequence; this contact constitutes an additional potential target zone. At Vinata Sur the outcropping faults and breccias containing Fe-Mn oxides and associated Mn, Ba, Sb, As, Mo, Zn anomalies, hosted by volcanic rocks, are coincident with an elliptical shape NS oriented MagLow”. These geophysical surveys were carried out as preparation work for the first ever upcoming drilling campaign, which will consists of 2,000m to test for high-grade precious metal horizons approximately 200 metres below anomalous surface samples. This Phase 1 drill program will be expanded should positive results warrant additional drilling.
- Pan American Silver Corp., – Radius Gold Inc JV, announced the commencement of the phase 3 exploration work on its Amalia project in Chihuahua. Pan American will operate this phase of exploration work, which will be focused on preparation and execution of the phase 3 drilling program that includes an additional 2,500m of diamond drilling.
- Chesapeake Gold Corp., provided updated results from its on-going regional exploration program near its Metates project. “Three significant Au-Ag prospects, Crisy, San Javier and Cerro Pelon, continue to demonstrate district scale potential within different regional structural settings associated with intermediate composition intrusive rocks”. The most significant trench sampling results at Crisy prospect were 1.4 g/t Au and 75 g/t Ag over 43m; 1.9 g/t Au and 11 g/t Ag over 38m; and 2.4 g/t Au and 80 g/t Ag over 24m. At San Javier prospect, channel samples returned 1.6 g/t Au and 25 g/t Ag over 12m and 8.3 g/t Au and 1,972 g/t Ag over 1.6m. At Cerro Pelon prospect, channel samples collected on a new identified NW trending breccia yielded significant results such as 33 g/t Au over 3m, and 3.4 g/t Au over 10m.
- Advance Gold Corp., initiated the second phase of a 3D IP survey on its Tabasquena project in Zacatecas. The goal is to explore to the south the 800m by 500m chargeability anomaly detected during the first phase IP survey, where the anomaly comes closest to surface.
- Newmont-Goldcorp Corporation, reported Q3, 2019 production results from its Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas. It produced 58K Oz Au, 7.4M Oz Ag, 51.1M Lb Pb, and 83.1M Lb Zn. The illegal blockade impacted Peñasquito’s third quarter production by approximately 11K Oz Au, 1.7 M Oz Ag, 13.7 M Lb Pb and 22.8 M Lb Zn, and is expected to impact the company’s full-year results for the operation.
- Coeur Mining Inc., presented Q3, 2019 production results from its Palmarejo mine in Chihuahua. The company milled 442,464 tonnes of 2.8 g/t Au and 152 g/t Ag, to produce 31.8K Oz Au and 1.7M Oz Ag. Metallurgical recoveries were 81.7% and 79.6% for Au and Ag respectively. Coeur announced that its full-year production guidance remains unchanged at 95K-105K Oz Au and 6.5-7.2M Oz Ag.
- Consolidated Zinc Limited, announced production results from its Plomosas mine in Chihuahua for the period September, 2019. The company milled 1,363 tonnes with grades of 10.4% Zn, 7.5% Pb, and 32 g/t Ag, to produce 318K Lb Zn, 228.5K Oz Pb, and 1,402 Oz Ag. It also reported that 3,607 tonnes were milled and processed at the Aldama facility with grades of 10.4% Zn, 7.5% Pb, and 32 g/t Ag. The ore material processed produced high-quality clean Zn and Pb concentrates free to smelting and refining.
- Endeavour Silver Corp., reported Q3, 2019 production results from their four Mexican operations. Consolidated production was a total of 234,196 tonnes of 144 g/t Ag and 1.49 g/t Au with metallurgical recoveries of 87.6% and 86.7% respectively, to produce 5K Oz Ag and 9.7K Oz Au. The table below shows the production figures by separate mine:
- GoGold Resources Inc., presented production results from its Parral tailings project in Chihuahua for the period Q3, 2019. The company produced 326.6K Oz Ag and 2,921 Oz Au (580.7 Oz AgEq).
- Great Panther Mining Limited, announced Q3, 2019 production results from their Topia and Guanajuato mines. At Topia mine in Durango, it processed 21,761 tonnes of 0.86 g/t Au and 418 g/t Ag, with metallurgical recoveries of 4% and 93.8% respectively, to produce 344 Oz Au, 274.2K Oz Ag, 1.2M Lb Pb, and 1.5M Lb Zn (501.5K OZ AgEq). At its Guanajuato mine complex, the company processed 44K tonnes of 2.47 g/t Au and 119 g/t Ag with metallurgical recoveries of 85.4% and 85.6% respectively, to produce 3K Oz Au and 143.8K Oz Ag (383K Oz AgEq).
- Hecla Mining Company, presented Q3, 2019 production results from its San Sebastian mine in Durango. The mill at San Sebastian operated at an average of 586 tonnes per day, to produce 0.6M Oz Ag and 4,719 Oz Au.
- US Antimony Corporation, reported estimated sales for the period Q3, 2019 from their Mexican operations. It sold 381.7K Lb Sb, 12.5 Oz Au, and 3.4K Oz Ag.
- Advance Gold Corp., announced its intention to rise funds up to $250K through a non-brokered private placement. Net proceeds will be used to advance its Tabasquena project in Zacatecas.
- Discovery Metals Corp., announced its intention to complete a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to $17M, including an investment of 5M from Eric Sprott. “The balance of Mr. Sprott’s investment will be completed with the purchase of subscription receipts, which if converted, will increase his interest in the company to approximately 22%, assuming the private placement is fully subscribed (Cordero deposit, Chihuahua)”.
- First Mexican Gold Corp., announced a number of administrative tasks that the company had to work diligently to get a reinstatement of trading of its common shares on the TSX. First Mexican cancelled 9M shares that it had issued without obtaining prior TSX approval, and then, 1M shares without TSX approval as payment to arrange a credit facility. Once this problem was solved by the director and offices of the compnay, First Mexican consolidated its common shares on a ten for one basis, reducing the number of its outstanding common shares from 81,844,360 to 8,184,429. It also announced its intention to complete a post-consolidation basis private placement for gross proceeds of up to $0.5M but TSX notified that it will be unable to complete the offering until the company shares are reinstated for trading. As such, the company has cancelled the offering and will look to complete it at a future time. First Mexican has worked diligently looking the revocation of a cease trade order issued by the various commission securities. The company finally reported that the trading of its common shares will reinstate on October 11, 2019 (Guadalupe property, Sonora).
- Fortuna Silver Mines Inc., announced the closing of convertible debenture of the over-allotment granted to CIBC Capital Markets, Scotiabank, and BMO Capital Markets. The company sold unsecured convertible debentures for gross proceeds of USD $6M in connection with the bought deal offering completed on October 2, 2019 for gross proceeds of USD $40M, bringing the total aggregate gross proceeds to USD $46M (San Jose mine, Oaxaca).
- Goldplay Exploration Ltd., announced its intention to complete a brokered private placement for gross proceeds of up to $2.5M. It also has granted the agent an option to increase the size of the offering by up to 20% of the number of shares. Net proceeds will be used for exploration work on its San Marcial property in Sinaloa.
- Magellan Gold Corporation, announced agreements with its primary secured creditors and largest shareholder to convert an aggregate of $2.5M of outstanding debt obligations into a newly-created series of preferred shares of the company. The Preferred Shares will carry a $2.45 million liquidation preference, subject to adjustments, be convertible into common stock at $1.00 per share and bear a 10% annual dividend payable in kind at the option of the company. “The agreements release and reduce liens on certain assets of the company and convert portions of both its secured and unsecured debt holdings to preferred shares in order enhance the balance sheet and facilitate new financing arrangements (San Dieguito de Arriba flotation plant, Nayarit).
- Vizsla Resources Corp., received conditional approval from TSX for the acquisition of Canam Alpine Ventures Ltd., and resumed trading on October 9, 2019 (Copala-Panuco project, Sinaloa).
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd., reported that the Silva Family acquired an aggregate of 30M common shares, at a deemed price of CAD $0.05 per share for total deemed consideration of CAD $1.5M. This transaction represents approximately 14.7% of the issued and outstanding common shares of the company on a non-diluted basis and 15.3% on a partially-diluted basis assuming the exercise of the stock options owned by Mr. Silva (Veta Grande project, Zacatecas).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., reported the results of 31 expansion drill holes for Giovanni, Blanquita, and Las Chispas veins and the discovery of a new vein (Blanquita Dos vein) at its Las Chispas project in Sonora. The most significant expansion drill results were encountered in hole LC19-111 (Giovanni Vein) with 8.99 g/t Au and 1,424 g/t Ag (2,098 g/t AgEq) over a true width of 1.6m; hole LC19-107 (Las Chispas Vein) with 7.72 g/t Au and 1,105 g/t Ag (1,584 g/t AgEq) over a true width of 1.2m; and hole LC19-101 (Giovanni Vein), with 4.17 g/t Au and 642 g/t Ag (955 g/t AgEq) over a true width of 2.5m. These drill results confirmed that deeper mineralization which could expand the current resource estimate at Las Chispas project. SilverCrest also reported the discovery of a new vein called Blanquita Dos Vein. “The La Blanquita Dos Vein is a new near-surface discovery located in the hanging wall of the La Blanquita Vein. The most significant drill intersection encountered on this vein was in hole LC19-98 with 6.58 g/t Au and 274 g/t Ag (767 g/t AgEq) over a true width of 0.8m, including 13.1 g/t Au and 392 g/t Ag (1,375 g/t AgEq) over a true width of 0.4m. This vein is approximately 50 metres from La Blanquita and was discovered while drilling to depth for the Giovanni Vein and the Las Chispas Vein. “There are currently 18 core drills operating at Las Chispas; 16 surface and 2 underground. This includes one rig completing process plant site condemnation, 16 rigs completing in-fill and known vein expansion holes in the Babicanora Area veins, and one rig working on new vein targets in the Las Chispas Area with two more to be re-allocated after in-fill drilling completion. Approximately 80 holes for 30,000 metres remain to be completed in 2019 of which 25 to 35 holes (8,000 metres) are for the Las Chispas Area veins. An updated resource estimate, including the Las Chispas Area veins, is expected in H1, 2020, along with the ongoing feasibility study”.
- Mexus Gold US, reported that the Merrill-Crow Au recovery plant for its Santa Elena mine in Sonora is en route, as well as a 80Kw generator which is necessary to run the plant. The company expects the new equipment to be operational by November 1st, 2019.
- Mexican Gold Corp., presented a new 43-101 resource estimate for its Las Minas project in Veracruz. The new resource estimate as of September 12, 2019. Indicated resources are 5,457,000 tons of 1.78 g/t Au, 6.5 g/t Ag, and 1.25% Cu (3.67 g/t AuEq), for a total of 313K Oz Au, 1.15M Oz Ag, and 150.3M Lb Cu (645K Oz AuEq). Inferred resources are 2,514,000 tons of 1.25 g/t Au, 5.5 g/t Ag, and 0.94% Cu (2.68 g/t AuEq) for a total of 101K Oz Au, 446K Oz Ag, and 51.96M Lb Cu (217K Oz AuEq).
- US Antimony Corporation, informed that the fencing of the tailings pond, completion of the water well, and most of the major construction has been completed at its Puerto Blanco mill for the Los Juarez mine in Querétaro. Testing will proceed during the completion of the laboratory.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Canuc Resources Corporation, completed its final payment to Minerales y Carbones de Mexico S.A. de C.V., for the El Tule 1 claim. Canuc has expanded its san Javier project area in Sonora State by 151.14 ha. The company now owns 17 contiguous mineral concessions along the San Javier mineralized corridor, extending to 3km from the historical Santa Rosa mine old workings.
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd., completed the acquisition of Carrizal Mining S.A. de C.V., after purchasing the remaining 50% of outstanding shares of PCG Mining S.A. de C.V., which is the parent holding of Carrizal Mining S.A. de C.V, in consideration for the issue of 30M common shares of the compnay. It also reported that the Silva Family acquired an aggregate of 30M common shares, which represent approximately 14.7% of the issued and outstanding common shares of the Company on a non-diluted basis and 15.3% on a partially-diluted basis assuming the exercise of the stock options owned by Mr. Silva.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Alamos Gold Inc., received the corporate social responsibility (CSR) best practices award, for its achievements in social, economic and environmental sustainability (Mulatos mine, Sonora).This award created by the Mexican Center for Philanthropy and the alliance for CSR was granted to Minas de Oro Nacional, a subsidiary of Alamos Gold as its program called “A new horizon for the families of Mulatos and Matarachi” was the winner in the category of community engagement.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, chalcedonic quartz breccia with disseminated pyrite in a project in Zacatecas, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.