By Jorge Cirett
During the 11h week of the year (March 15th to March 21st, 2021), at least 34 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, eight companies posted exploration advances on their properties, four presented quarterly results, five posted on financing or share options (including C$12 M, $10.3 M, C$14.1 M and C$80.4M), eight more on project development and five on corporate issues. ON MEXICO ISSUES, 25 Mining projects in Mexico are in line for 2028. At PDAC, a minister from Canada asked for a stable and predictable business environment in Mexico. The president of Mexico, Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, threatened mining companies with voiding their concessions if they break the law. ON EXPLORATION, in Baja California, One World Lithium announced the incoming drilling at its Salar del Diablo project. In Sonora, Kootenay Silver informed of excellent grades in trenching at its Maria Elena project; Tocvan Ventures updated on exploration at Pilar; Prismo Metals filed a technical report for Los Pavitos project. In Durango, Mithril Resources informed on a high-grade gold intercept at Copalquin. In Guerrero, Pantera Silver commenced exploration in Nuevo Taxco. In Zacatecas, Zacatecas Silver is preparing a resource estimate on the Panuco deposit. ON MINING, Comet Resources Excellon Resources, Starcore International and Sierra Metals released quarterly and/or full year 2020 reports. Activities at McEwen’s El Gallo mine in Sinaloa, which is in residual leaching, were suspended by an illegal blockade. ON FINANCING, Empress Royalty, Southern Silver, Almaden Minerals, Santacruz Silver Mining and Premier Gold released news on financing. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Almaden Minerals is resuming exploration at the Ixtaca property in Puebla. Discovery Metals released drilling results from Cordero in Chihuahua. Chesapeake Gold received approval for a bulk drilling program at Metates, Durango. GoGold Resources released drilling results from Los Ricos North in Jalisco. Southern Silver is doubling the size of its drilling program at Cerro Las Minitas in Durango. Consolidated Zinc released the updated mineral resource for the Plomosas mine in Chihuahua. Prime Mining released drilling results for Los Reyes in Sinaloa. Azucar Minerals released results from drilling at El Cobre, Veracruz. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Radius Gold optioned the Maricela property in Sonora. Sailfish is to prepare an updated mineral resource for Gavilanes in Durango. VanGold Mining signed the definitive agreement with Endeavour Silver for the acquiring the El Cubo mine in Guanajuato. Tarachi Gold completed the acquisition of El Magistral tailings project. Prospero Silver is changing name to Keon Capital. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Grupo Mexico and Fresnillo PLC informed on actions related to social betterment of communities near its operations.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- 25 Mining projects in Mexico are in line for 2028 with a total of US$7.8 B (US$7,800 M in Mexican notation). El Arco in Baja California (US$2,900 M), Media Luna in Guerrero (US$496 M), Expansion Herradura (US$490 M), Orysivo in Chihuahua (US$465 M), Juanicipio in Zacatecas (US$440 M) and Sonora Lithium (US$420 M) are among the largest of these.
- At the virtual PDAC (Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada) 2021 conference Mary Ng, Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade for Canada and Tatiana Clouthier, head of the Economy Secretariat in Mexico met and spoke about the strengthening of commercial ties between the two countries, particularly in the energy and mining sectors. Minister Ng stressed the need to keep a stable and predictable business environment for Canadian companies working in Mexico, especially in mining, and expressed its worries for the recently approved energy law and its possible negative impact.
- In his press conference the president highlighted the cases of Americas Gold and Silver, with his view that it is trying to evade the law on unionized work, and that of First Majestic which he accused of trying to evade taxes (as in other industries, the president disregards any effect on investment and employment by his rigid stance). He suggested the Canadian government should help make the companies comply as in Canada.
- Pantera Silver Corp. has mobilized its field personnel to the Nuevo Taxco Silver project in Guerrero. The 1,100 hectares project displays 21 veins 150-350 meters in length within a 135 hectares portion of the property. Of 395 historical samples, 119 grade over 100 gpt Ag, including 18 between 500-900 gpt Ag and three samples over 1,000 gpt Ag. An initial 1,600 meter program is to test the 21 veins area.
- One World Lithium Inc. is to start phase three drilling on April 15, 2021 at is Salar del Diablo project in Baja California. “If the results of DDH-3 warrant, the DDH-4 will be drilled in the same area…. DDH-3 (diamond drill hole) is located approximately 50 kilometers to the south of DDH-2” completed on the previous campaign.
- Zacatecas Silver Corp. is to prepare a current resource estimate for the Panuco silver deposit at the Zacatecas Silver project in Zacatecas. The historic inferred mineral resource hosts 3.95 M tonnes @ 136 gpt Ag, 0.14 gpt Au, 0.12% Pb, 0.11% Zn (153.2 gpt AgEq), containing 19.5 M Oz Ag. Re-assaying of 15% of the core intervals used in the historic resource calculation is being performed to assist in the new resource estimation, as well as bench scale metallurgical test of mineralized core material.
- Kootenay Silver Inc. informed on the discovery of significant gold at its Maria Elena project in Sonora. Highlighted results from sampling in 8 trenches comprise 33 m @ 2.67 gpt Au (including 9 m @ 5.29 gpt Au, 1 m @ 23.7 gpt Au) in trench 6; 24 m @ 1.81 gpt Au (including 8 m @ 3.98 gpt Au, 1 m @ 17.25 gpt Au) in trench 4; 9 m @ 2.01 gpt Au (including 1 m @ 15.45 gpt Au) in trench 2. “Gold mineralization is hosted by stock works of quartz and quartz carbonate veins formed by conjugate sets of veins …. Numerous conjugate vein sets and associated stock work zones occur within a 1.5 by 1.5-kilometer area hosted within a diorite intrusion and are the source of the placer gold historically mined on the property”.
- Canasil Resources Inc. informed on drilling at La Esperanza project in Zacatecas. Three holes in the La Esperanza vein have already intersected the vein as projected, while a fourth is in progress. While the vein outcrops for 150 m, it has now been intersected for 525 m along strike and 350 m to depth.
- Tocvan Ventures Corp. updated on exploration at its Pilar project in Sonora. On the Main Zone Extension, a 350 m section presents “altered vein zones” 5 to 20 m in width, strong oxidation and 800 m of anomalous soil samples with up to 106 and 911 ppb Au, and rock grab samples with 9.3 gpt Au. At the 4-Trench there is a 600 m trend that presents veins for 400 m of strike untested by drilling, rock grab samples with up to 24 gpt Au and historical artisanal workings for 350 m of strike.
- Mithril Resources Ltd. informed on the drilling at El Refugio target in the Copalquin project in Durango. An exceptional core length interval of 4.17 m @ 62.0 gpt Au, 445 gpt Ag was drilled, and is characterized by abundant black sulfide and kaolinite, as well as by the presence of visible gold.
- Prismo Metals Inc. filed a NI 43-101 technical report for its Los Pavitos project in Sonora. The 5,289-hectare concession is west of the Alamos district, displaying epithermal low sulfidation veins and orogenic gold shears. Highlighted rock sample results include 0.30 m @ 40.8 gpt Au, 0.65 m @ 4.86 gpt Au, 0.20 m @ 1.57 gpt Au, 2.5 m @ 1.5 gpt Au, 2.5 m @ 2.41 gpt Au, grab samples of up to greater than 10.0 gpt Au and dump samples with up to 5.26 gpt Au.
- Comet Resources Ltd. presented its second half 2020 financial report. In the period the company spent US$2.35 M in mineral exploration and administration, raised US$3 M, acquired the Santa Teresa project in Baja California with 88.6 K Oz Au JORC compliant inferred resources.
- McEwen Mining Inc. informed that activities at the El Gallo project in Sinaloa (currently on residual leaching) have been suspended as results of an illegal blockade of the main access to the property by members of nearby communities. “El Gallo has operated harmoniously with the local communities since mining started in 2012, having demonstrated a long-standing track record of supporting local communities. In this context, the current situation is surprising. The site remains minimally staffed to maintain appropriate safety and security, and the environmental systems. McEwen Mining is negotiating for a peaceful resolution to the issues”.
- Excellon Resources Inc. reported financial results for the Q4 and full year 2020. During the quarter silver production at the Platosa mine in Durango increased to 355.6 K Oz, the strongest production since 2014, at an all-sustaining cost of $21.19 per Oz Ag. For the year, the revenue of $26.2 M was impacted by the temporary suspension related to the Covid pandemic. On the second half of the year 43.3 K tonnes were mined, producing 1.08 M Oz Ag.
- Starcore International Mines Ltd. reported results for the quarter ended in January 2021. At the San Martin mine in Queretaro, 57.3 K tonnes were milled @ 1.66 gpt Au, 23 gpt Ag, recovering 88.8% Au, 57.1% Ag, to produce 2.7 K Oz Au, 23.8 K Oz Ag or 3,063 Oz AuEq at cash cost US$1,042 per Oz AuEq and an AISC of US$1,361 per Oz AuEq.
- Mexus Gold US. Informed it has received the necessary explosives permit to mine the high grade Mexus II and Julio vein structures at its Santa Elena mine in Sonora.
- Sierra Metals Inc. reported financial results for 2020. At Bolivar in Chihuahua, cash cost per CuEq Lb was $1.35 and AISC per CuEqLb was $1.88. At Cusi in Chihuahua, cash cost per AgEqOz was $15.70 and AISC per AgEqOz was $28.18. The company hold cash and cash equivalents of $71.5 M at the end of the period.
- Empress Royalty Corp. entered into an agreement with Red Cloud Securities Inc. and Canaccord Genuity Corp. and a syndicate of underwriters that shall purchase shares of the company for gross proceeds of C$12 M. (Pinos, Zacatecas).
- Endeavour Silver Corp. announced its common shares will be added to the S&P/TSX Composite and the NYSE Arca Gold Miners Index (Terronera, Jalisco).
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp. raised $14.2 million in Summer of 2020. “Since the closing of the equity raise and the working interest purchase in September 2020, the Company has received a total of $2,428,228 from shareholder exercises of share purchase warrants, inclusive of the recent 6,000,000 share purchase warrant exercise by Electrum Global Holdings LP for proceeds of $480,000. Additionally, the Company has received $477,470 from the exercise of incentive stock options and finders’ warrants”.
- Almaden Minerals Ltd. announced a US$10.3 M registered direct offering (Ixtaca, Puebla).
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd. has increased the size of its previously announced non-brokered private placement offering, intending to raise now up to CDN$14.1 M (Zimapan, Hidalgo).
- Premier Gold Mines Ltd. announced its wholly-owned subsidiary i-80 Gold Corp. closed its previously publicized private placement for aggregate gross proceeds of C80.4 M. “Premier remains focused on creating i-80 as a Nevada-focused mining company…” (Mercedes, Sonora).
- Minera Alamos Inc. informed the board of directors approved the issuance of 7.25 M options to management, directors, employees and consultants, tied to production milestones (Santana, Sonora).
- First Majestic Silver Corp. received regulatory consent to extend its share repurchase program to up to 10 M shares or 4.5% of the outstanding shares of the company (San Dimas, Durango).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Almaden Minerals Ltd. has resumed exploration in the area of the Ixtaca project in Puebla. Initial work is to focus in identifying drill targets in the SE Alteration Zone, 1 km SE from the Ixtaca deposit. Argillic alteration with hyperspectral signatures for kaolinite, alunite and buddingtonite is present, along with several areas of veining with anomalous pathfinder elements.
- Discovery Metals Corp. announced results from 14 diamond drill holes targeting high-grade veins at its Cordero project in Chihuahua. Highlighted intercepts comprise 1.3 m @ 1,581 gpt Ag, 0.15 gpt Au, 9.9% Pb, 5.4% Zn; 8.9 m @ 267 gpt Ag, 0.91 gpt Au, 0.9% Pb, 0.8% Zn (including 1.0 m @ 1,280 gpt Ag, 4.24 gpt Au, 1.6% Pb, 3.4% Zn); 1.3 m @ 1,607 gpt Ag, 2.06 gpt Au, 5.2% Pb, 8.0% Zn; 10.0 m @ 92 gpt Ag, 0.09 gpt Au, 2.4% Pb, 3.4% Zn in the Josefina vein; 2.9 m @ 992 gpt Ag, 0.73 gpt Au, 12.9% Pb, 2.4% Zn in the South corridor and 4.0m @ 377 gpt Ag, 0.28 gpt Au, 7.1% Pb, 2.7% Zn (including 1.4 m @ 552 gpt Ag, 0.33 gpt Au, 11.0% Pb, 3.4% Zn); 1.2 m @ 241 gpt Ag, 0.52 gpt Au, 4.6% Pb, 10.4% Zn; 2.8 m @ 207 gpt Ag, 0.15 gpt Au, 3.7% Pb, 7.7% Zn on the Todos Santos vein. “The Company has completed 58,600 m (148 holes) as part of its expanded 65,000 m Phase 1 drill program. Assays from 24 holes are pending”.
- Chesapeake Gold Corp. has received the final permits to commence a bulk drilling program at the Metates project in Durango. The company plans to drill 2,500 meters to recover 10 tonnes of large diameter (PQ) core for metallurgical testing to support a potential sulfide heap leach mine operation.
- GoGold Resources Inc. released results from four more drill holes on the Casados area of the Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Highlighted core length results comprise 10.3 m @ 0.43 gpt Au, 116 gpt Ag; 21.4 m @ 0.44 gpt Au, 98 gpt Ag; 49.1 m @ 0.54 gpt Au, 250 gpt Ag; 13.3 m @ 0.67 gpt Au, 204 gpt Ag; 5.1 m @ 1.94 gpt Au, 1,270 gpt Ag (including 0.8 m @ 10.31 gpt Au, 6,842 gpt Ag; 52.0 m @ 0.47 gpt Au, 127 gpt Ag; 8.3 m @ 0.94 gpt Au, 279 gpt Ag; 23.6 m @ 0.58 gpt Au, 156 gpt Ag (including 10.9 m @ 1.05 gpt Au, 307 gpt Ag); 33.6 m @ 0.23 gpt Au, 95 gpt Ag. The Casados vein dips 45 degrees, is hosted in andesitic tuffs and is exposed for 400 m in the surface.
- Southern Silver Exploration Corp. is doubling the size of the current drilling program from 10,000 m to 20,000 m on the Cerro Las Minitas project in Durango. The current program has completed 28 core holes totaling 12,040 m since September 2020. “Drilling will continue with two drills targeting the east side of the Cerro where to date three near-surface sulphide lenses with Bonanza-grades of silver have been identified”. Assays from 11 drill holes are pending.
- Consolidated Zinc Ltd. announced its updated mineral resource for the Plomosas project in Chihuahua. The resource estimate is JORC compliant and contains indicated mineral resources of 152 K tonnes @ 13.3% Zn, 6.0% Pb, 33.6 gpt Ag containing 20.2 K tonnes Zn, 9.1 K tonnes Pb, 164.6 K Oz Ag and inferred resources of 788 K tonnes @ 13.0% Zn, 2.9% Pb, 17.2 gpt Ag containing 102.1 K tonnes Zn, 22.7 K tonnes Pb, 435.5 K Oz Ag.
- Prime Mining Corp. reported initial results from its 15,000 m drilling program at Los Reyes, in Sinaloa. The first hole at Guadalupe East intersected 20.1 m @ 3.25 gpt Au, 380 gpt Ag (including 6.5 m @ 6.51 gpt Au, 587 gpt Ag), this intercept is 150 m below any previous drilling; 3.8 m @ 3.69 gpt Au, 305 gpt Ag (including 2.1 m @ 6.18 gpt Au, 507 gpt Ag). Chip sampling of adularia bearing banded quartz veins in a new area returned several mineralized intervals, including 3 m @ 29.8 gpt Au, 1,132 gpt Ag.
- Azucar Minerals Ltd. released results from drilling at the Porvenir zone at the El Cobre project in Veracruz. Some of the highlighted results comprise 77.65 m @ 0.26 gpt Au, 0.16% Cu (including 43.55 m @ 0.37 gpt Au, 0.21% Cu and 25.55 m @ 0.45 gpt Au, 0.23% Cu) in one hole and 16.70 m @ 0.10 gpt Au, 0.09% Cu; 37.00 m @ 0.12 gpt Au, 0.08% Cu.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Radius Gold Inc. has optioned the Maricela group of properties (155 ha) in Sonora. Radius can earn 100% interest in the property by paying US$1.25 M over three years. A total of US$30 K has been paid to date. The owner retains a 1% NSR which can be bought back for US$1 M. Mineralization is of low sulfidation epithermal style with 1-3 m massive quartz veins and stockworks over 10 meters in width hosted in andesitic volcanic rocks and felsic dykes emplaced sub-parallel to mineralized structures.
- Sailfish Royalty Corp. announced on early February “that Mine Development Associates (“MDA”), a division of RESPEC, out of Reno, Nevada, was hired to prepare an updated mineral resource estimate on Gavilanes. The updated mineral resource estimate is a key milestone for the planned spinout of Gavilanes and the Company is pleased to report that MDA is expecting to complete their work in early Q2 2021”.
- VanGold Mining Corp. signed a definitive purchase agreement with Endeavour Silver Corp. to acquire El Cubo mine and mill complex located 8 km from its El Pinguico project in Guanajuato. “According to the Company’s recently announced PEA from Behre Dolbear and Company (USA) Inc., (“Behre”) the Combined Project contains total indicated resources of 718,655 tonnes grading 160 gpt Ag and 1.90 gpt Au, or 306 gpt AgEq, which equates to 7.2 M oz AgEq; and total inferred resources of 1,453,000 tonnes grading 214 gpt Ag and 2.78 gpt Au, or 435 gpt AgEq, which equates to 20.4 M oz AgEq”. VanGold will pay $15 M as follows: $500 K (paid), $7 M on closing, anticipated to by the end of March 2021, $5 M on VanGold shares on closing and $2.5 M in promissory notes due 12 months from closing.
- Tarachi Gold Corp. completed the acquisition from Manto Resources S.A. de C.V. of the Magistral mill and tailings project in Durango. A PEA is to be conducted to determine if modifications are needed on the mill’s flowsheet prior to commissioning. The tailings basin is to be tested with an auger drill rig, with six confirmation holes and eleven in-fill holes. Underground diamond core drilling has been progressing on the Jabali concession at its Tarachi project in Sonora.
- Prospero Silver Corp. board of directors has approved the name change of the company to Keon Capital Inc., subject to the acceptance of the TSX Venture Exchange (Bermudez, Chihuahua).
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Fundación Grupo México and Granjas Carroll delivered fruit bearing trees to producers in Puebla.
- Minera San Julian donated medical equipment in Chihuahua.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below: Core from Azure Mineral’s Oposura project in Sonora. Picture by Jorge Cirett.