By Jorge Cirett
During the 18th week of the year (April 30th to May 6th, 2018), at least 21 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico, with news on the exploration of eight properties, eight more companies releasing Q1 2018 results, and Primero Mining extending its revolving credit facility. ON MEXICO ISSUES, production statistics for the mining sector on February 2018 were published. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Azure updated on exploration efforts at its Oposura, Alacrán and Sara Alicia projects; Alamos Gold presented exploration plans on the Mulatos district; San Marco Resources obtained the Suanse property by lottery. In Coahuila, Discovery Metals disclosed underground channel sample results from its Puerto Rico property; Silver Bull acquired a 60 ha claim within its large land package in Sierra Mojada. In Veracruz, Mexican Gold released channel sampling results from the Changaro zone at its Las Minas project. ON MINING, Argonaut Gold, Santacruz Silver, Gold Resource, Alamos Gold, Golden Minerals, Leagold, Great Panther and Telson Mining presented Q1 2018 production reports. ON FINANCING, Primero Mining agreed on the extension of its revolving credit facility. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Golden Minerals released drill results from its Santa Maria property in Chihuahua. Argonaut updated on exploration in properties in Guanajuato and Baja. Minera Alamos announced drilling plans on the now combined Santana/Los Verdes properties. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Endeavour Silver released its annual review and sustainability report. Advance Gold contracted a third party to assist with investors relations.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- The mining and metallurgic production in Mexico grew 4% in February, which is the best result since April 2016, although in a yearly basis a 1.3% decrement was recorded. During February, the production of lead (-34.6%), sulphur (-12.2%), silver (-11.3%), copper (-8.2%) and coke (-5.7%) decreased, while that of iron pellets (1.1%), fluorite (1.7%) zinc (4.6%), gold (5.8%), coal (18.8%) and gypsum (19.2%) showed an increment. Sonora was the leader in gold production during February, with 3,710 Kg (119,720 Oz), while Zacatecas kept the title in silver with 171,903 Kg (5,526,806 Oz).
- Azure Minerals Ltd. completed the mineral resource drill-out of the Oposura project, in Sonora. The program included 157 holes totaling 10,112 m (assays for 27 holes still awaited), confirming good height (width) and grade continuity of the horizontal mineralization. Metallurgical studies show 85.6% Zn and 84.0% Pb recoveries. The initial mineral resource estimate is expected in June 2018.
- Azure Minerals Ltd. completed the stage 2 drilling program at its Sara Alicia Au-Co project in Sonora. Results awaited.
- Azure Minerals Ltd. informed the operator of its Alacrán project in Sonora, Minera Teck, S.A., completed an 11 hole drill program in December 2017, with final results awaited. Teck has informed it will continue with the year 2 work program “comprising further geological, geochemical and geophysical surveys in the first half of 2018, which will be followed by more drilling in the second half of the year”.
- Discovery Metals Corp. disclosed assay results from continuous underground channel sampling at its Puerto Rico project in Coahuila. Results on 100 samples out of 600 samples collected on the Zaragoza mine have been received. Select significant channel samples include: 2.1 m @ 822 g/t Ag, 2.1% Zn, 2.5% Pb, 0.7% Cu; 1.8 m @ 55 g/t Ag, 27.9% Zn, 2.9% Pb, 0.1% Cu; 3.3 m @ 175 g/t Ag, 2.1% Zn, 15.2% Pb, 0.2% Cu; 2.3 m @ 62 g/t Ag, 9.2% Zn, 6.5% Pb, 0.1% Cu; 1.3 m @ 75 g/t Ag, 16.8% Zn, 3.2% Pb, 0.1% Cu. Average manto grades 157 g/t Ag, 6.2% Zn, 5.5% Pb, 0.1% Cu.
- Mexican Gold Corp. released channel sampling results from the La Perdida mine in the Changaro zone at its Las Minas project in Veracruz. At La Perdida adit, four 2.0 m samples returned 7.85 g/t Au, 3 g/t Ag, 0.14% Cu; 0.30 g/t Au, 1 g/t Ag, 0.05% Cu; 16.70 g/t Au, 12 g/t Ag, 0.49% Cu; 27.30 g/t Au, 12 g/t Ag, 0.17% Cu, averaging 8.0 m @ 13.04 g/t Au, 7 g/t Ag, 0.21% Cu.
- Alamos Gold Inc. informed exploration in its 28,777 ha land package at Mulatos, Sonora, is to focus in 2018 outside the Mulatos mine, including the El Carricito, El Halcon, and El Jaspe areas. During the first quarter Alamos invested $4.5 M in exploration activities within the Mulatos district, including 14,792 m of diamond drilling and 1,059 m of RC drilling.
- Silver Bull Resources Inc. acquired a 68 ha mineral license nine kilometers NW from its main Sierra Mojada deposit in Coahuila. The application “covers 13 historical mine shafts in the Palomas Negros area including a 120 meter long x 25 meter wide x 25 meter deep historical open pit”. Select sampling on the open pit returned up to 542 g/t Ag, 36.5% Zn, 9.3% Pb, 0.14% Cu on 2 m channel sampling.
- San Marco Resources Inc. obtained the Suanse property in Sonora through the recent mineral concession lottery by the Mexican government. The property is located between two mineral concessions within Evrim’s LLano del Nogal porphyry copper moly play.
- Argonaut Gold Inc. presented first quarter 2018 operating and financial results. At El Castillo in Durango, 4.72 M tonnes of waste were moved, 1.62 M tonnes of ore were mined (52 K tonnes per day, or tpd) @ 0.44 g/t Au, producing 8,657 Oz Au, 7,528 Oz Ag. At San Agustin in Durango, 356 K tonnes of waste were moved 1.72 M tonnes of ore mined (23 K tpd) @ 0.50 g/t Au, producing 15,824 Oz Au, 80,331 Oz Ag. Cash cost was $1,020 for El Castillo and $365 for San Agustín. At La Colorada in Sonora, 6.13 M tonnes of waste were moved, 1.1 tonnes of ore mined (80 K tpd) @ 0.43 g/t Au, producing 14,291 Oz Au, 57,767 Oz Ag at cash cost $726. Cash and cash equivalents of $21.3 M at the end of the period.
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd. reported financial and operating results for Q4 2018. During the period 181 K tonnes were processed, producing 865.5 K Oz AgEq at cash cost $23.07 and AISC $27.56 per AgEq Oz.
- Gold Resource Corp. reported first quarter 2018 production results. During the period the company produced from three different orebodies on its El Aguila property in Oaxaca. At Arista 130.8 K tonnes were milled @ 1.92 g/t Au, 106 g/t Ag, 0.39% Cu, 1.63% Pb, 4.41% Zn, with recoveries of 78% Au, 91% Ag, 75% Cu, 76% Pb, 83% Zn. At the El Aguila open pit, 5.1 K tonnes were milled @ 2.16 g/t Au, 45 g/t Ag, and recoveries of 84% Ag, 86% Ag. At Altagracia 3.2 k tonnes were milled @ 1.16 g/t Au, 182 g/t Ag, and recoveries of 60% Au, 82% Ag. Production amounted to 6,647 Oz Au, 425.9 K Oz Ag, 385 tonnes Cu, 1,615 tonnes Pb, 4,793 tonnes Zn. Cash cost was ($316) per AuEq Oz after by-product credits, and AISC $347 per precious metal gold equivalent ounce sold. Cash and cash equivalents at quarter end totaled $28.6 M.
- Alamos Gold Inc. reported its financial results for the first quarter 2018, including figures from its Mexican operations. At Mulatos in Sonora, 2.2 M tonnes were mined and 2 M tonnes of waste moved. Average grade of 1.75 M tonnes stacked was 0.84 g/t Au. As for high grade, 30.4 k tonnes were milled @ 8.11 g/t Au, for the production of 46,000 Oz Au at cash cost $786 per OZ Au, and AISC $842 per Oz Au. At El Chanate in Sonora, 1 M tonnes of ore were mined @ 0.60 g/t Au, with recoveries of 71% Au, to produce 13,800 Oz Au.
- Golden Minerals Co. provided business and financial results for the first quarter 2018. During the period Golden received $1 M from Electrum Global Holdings, LP. in exchange for an amendment to the Electrum farm-out agreement providing Electrum an additional 20% interest in the Celaya project. Also 4,800 m in 22 holes were drilled on the Santa Maria property in Chihuahua. Cash and cash equivalents of $2.7 M at the end of the period.
- Leagold Mining Corp. reported Q1 2018 production. During the period 7.7 M tonnes were moved on the open pit at Los Filos, Guerrero, of which 2.0 M tonnes were from ore @ 0.57 g/t Au. From underground 101 k tonnes were mined @ 5.47 g/t Au. In total 1.6 M tonnes were processed @ 0.97 g/t Au to produce 51,003 Oz Au at cash cost $880 per Au Oz and AISC of 1,039 per Au Oz. Test mining at the Bermejal underground deposit is to begin in Q2 2018. Leagold’s goal is to raise quarterly production from 50 K to almost 70 K by the end of the year.
- Great Panther Silver Ltd. presented first quarter 2018 financial results, including figures from its operations in Mexico (Topia, Durango; Guanajuato mine complex, Guanajuato). Consolidated production came from 96.9 K tonnes milled, to obtain 491 K Oz Ag, 5,831 Oz Au at cash cost $12.76 per AgEq Oz and AISC $16.16 per AgEq Oz. For 2018 14,000 m of underground drilling are planned at the Guanajuato mines, and 5,000 m of surface drilling and 5,000 of underground drilling in the San Ignacio mine (part of the mine complex). Cash and cash equivalents were $60.9 M at the end of the period.
- Telson Mining Corp. informed on first quarter 2018 pre-production toll milling at its Tahuehueto property in Durango. During the period 9,503 tonnes of ore were milled @ 5.44 g/t Au, 62 g/t Ag, 4.5% Zn, 2.2% Pb, recovering 79.4% Au, 85.7% Pb, 84.4% Pb, 76.4% Zn to produce 360 tonnes of lead concentrate (50.2% Pb), 99.25 g/t Au, 1,185 g/t Ag, 12.2% Zn) and 713 tonnes of zinc concentrate (46.3% Zn, 7.41 g/t Au, 105 g/t Ag, 0.93% Pb).
- Primero Mining Corp. agreed to the extension of its revolving credit facility and the related guarantee provided by Wheaton Precious Metals Corp., to May 15th, 2018 or the closing of the business combination with First Majestic Silver Corp. (San Dimas, Durango).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Golden Minerals Co. released results from the 2,400 m, 22-hole drilling program at its Santa Maria property in Chihuahua. Some of the highlighted true width (TW) results comprise: 0.6 m @ 593 g/t Ag, 0.79 g/t Au, 0.4% Pb+Zn; 0.8 m @ 183 g/t Ag, 0.33 g/t Au, 0.1% Pb+Zn; 2.5 m @ 415 g/t Ag, 0.29 g/t Au, 1.5% Pb+Zn; 3.8 m @ 213 g/t Ag, 0.47 g/t Au, 0.8% Pb+Zn; 1.2 m @ 200 g/t Ag, 0.22 g/t Au, 0.15% Pb+Zn; 3.5 m @ 310 g/t Ag, 0.77 g/t Au, 1.3% Pb+Zn; 1.3 m @ 1,322 g/t Ag, 2.06 g/t Au, 1.4% Pb+Zn; 0.9 m @ 148 g/t Ag, 2.0 g/t Au, 1.5% Pb+Zn; 6.5 m @ 1,094 g/t Ag, 3.64 g/t Au, 1.3% Pb+Zn. The mineralization comprised oxide, mixed and sulfide materials in different intersects.
- Argonaut Gold Inc. informed the re-logging of drill core and the development of a geological model at Cerro del Gallo, in Guanajuato. On its San Antonio project in Baja California Sur, technical sessions were held with the Mexican Environmental Authority DGIRA in preparation of new future Environmental Assessment application submittal.
- Minera Alamos Inc. released its plans for a drilling campaign at the now combined Santana/Los Verdes property in Sonora. The phase one is to include 20 holes in 3,000 m of drilling, focusing on the Nicho extensions and Nicho Norte, into the contiguous Los Verdes claims. Previous drilling at the Santana project outlined significant mineralization associated to hydrothermal breccias hosted by stocks and batholithic intrusions. Heap leaching tests are being conducted on the Nicho Norte zone.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Endeavour Silver Corp. released its annual review and sustainability report. Sections of the report include: Safety and Health, Our People, Community, Environment, Economic. In words of its CEO, Bradford Cooke: “..is intended to show that sustainability relies on the connectedness between people, communities and the environment” (La Colorada, Sonora, El Castillo, Durango).
- Advance Gold Corp. engaged Nicosia Capital to assist on Investor Relations. “Advance will pay Nicosia a fee of $3,500 per month and issue 100,000 stock options at a price of $0.12 per share. The initial agreement with Nicosia has a term of two months to commence May.1st, 2018” (Tabasqueña, Zacatecas).
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture below, Very strong silicification and minor silicification on structures from a shallow epithermal system in Guanajuato. Picture by Jorge Cirett.