By Jorge Cirett
During the 34th week of the year (August 30th to September 5th, 2021), at least 21 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, four companies posted exploration advances on their properties, four posted on mining or quarterly reports, seven on financing or shares and four more on project development or resource definition. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Camimex informed on direct and indirect employment generated by the mining industry. In 2020, Mexico was the top silver producer in the world. Sixty percent of foreign held mining projects are idle. Mexico is the ninth top producer of gold in the world, with 41.3 tonnes produced in 2020. ON EXPLORATION, in Chihuahua, Monarca Minerals completed the first two RC holes at San Jose. In Sinaloa, Vizsla Silver released results from 19 holes on the Naploleon area of the Panuco project. Durango, Canasil Resources released results from two diamond holes at Nora. In Guanajuato, Guanajuato Silver informed drilling continues at Pinguico. ON MINING, Altaley Mining and Santacruz Silver reported second quarter 2021 results. Torex Gold released its multi-year production outlook for el Limon Guajes complex, aiming to produce 1.59 to 1.75 M Oz Au in 2021-2024. Guanajuato Silver commenced infill drilling at El Cubo. ON FINANCING, Prime Mining reported the exercise of warrants for C$9.5 M; Silver Spruce announced a financing round for up to $1 M; Mithril plans to raise up to A$3.3 M. Silver Wolf shares are now eligible for electronic clearing in the USA. SilverCrest completed the second scheduled drawdown of US$30 M. Candelaria Mining announced a non-brokered private placement for $7.8 M, on which Agnico Eagle subscribed for a $6 M consideration. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Cheasapeake Gold filed a NI43-101 report on the Metates heap leach project. Zacatecas Silver is to commence drilling at Panuco. Sonora Gold reported surface assay results from Cerro Caliche. GR Silver Mining commenced 1,500 m of underground resource expansion drilling at San Marcial. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, No relevant news. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Torex Gold, Autlán, Industrias Peñoles, Fortuna Silver and Almaden Minerals informed on social responsibility actions by the companies on communities and society.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Camimex (Cámara Minera de México) informed that during the first half of 2021 the mining industry generated 40,895 new direct jobs and more than 2 million new indirect jobs, boasting salaries 36% higher than the national average. Also, during 2020 the industry invested US$3,532 M (US$3.5 billion, in American notation) and is posed to invest further US$5,034 M (US$5 billion in American notation) in 2021 and a total of more than US$24,000 M (US$24 billion in American notation) in the next six years.
- Mexico was the top producer of silver in the world in 2020, with 5,541 tonnes, China and Peru stand in the second and third place producing 3,443 tonnes and 2,991 tonnes respectively.
- There are 1,190 mining projects funded by foreign capital in Mexico, but 6 of each 10 are idle, regardless of the increase in metal prices. Of the 1,190 projects, 754 are idle, 307 in exploration, 78 in production, 43 in development and 8 have closed. One of the issues affecting the mining industry in Mexico is the fiscal load, with taxes on profit of 52.7%, same tax burden that in other countries is lower: USA 30.2%, Canada 34.6%, Chile 35.7%, Peru 39.9%.
- Mexico is the ninth producer of gold in the world, tied with Uzbekistan. Gold production during the first half of 2021 was 41,325 kg, which is 30% higher than a year before. This is the first yearly increase in gold production since the historic high of 2015, when 60,325 kg were produced. Sonora produced 29.8% of the total amount, Zacatecas 18.8% and Chihuahua 16.1%. Five companies produced almost 60% of the total, Fresnillo PLC, Newmont (Peñasquito), Torex Gold, Agnico Eagle and Alamos Gold.
- Monarca Minerals Inc. informed on the completion of the first two drill holes at the San Jose project in Chihuahua. Both RC holes intersected endoskarn and exoskarn mineralization with pyrite and fine grained sulfides (probably galena and sphalerite) and local chalcopyrite. Both holes targeted geophysical anomalies.
- Canasil Resources Inc. released results from the second and third holes of the 2021 drill program at Nora, in Durango. Highlighted true-width intervals comprise 7.18 m @ 2.05 gpt Au, 344 gpt Ag, 0.4% Pb, 0.8% Zn (including 1.87 m @ 4.42 gpt Au, 541 gpt Ag, 0.9% Pb, 1.9% Zn and 0.94 m @ 2.92 gpt Au, 766 gpt Ag, 1.0% Pb, 2.1% Zn); 0.94 m @ 5.91 gpt Au, 316 gpt Ag, 0.8% Pb, 1.7% Zn; 0.94 m @ 7.0 gpt Au, 279 gpt Ag; 0.94 m @ 2.13 gpt, 203 gpt Ag; 5.33 m @ 1.14 gpt Au, 157 gpt Ag (including 1.85 m @ 2.45 gpt Au, 284 gpt Ag); 1.36 m @ 1.30 gpt Au, 302 gpt Ag; 3.29 m @ 6.44 gpt Au, 884 gpt Ag, 0.2% Zn; 0.90 m @ 1.65 gpt Au, 431 gpt Ag, 0.1% Zn; 1.53 m @ 20.59 gpt Au, 1,290 gpt Ag, 0.1% Pb, 0.3% Zn; 2.71 m @ 2.76 gpt Au, 250 gpt Ag, 0.1% Zn. “Gold-silver mineralization is hosted within two structurally-controlled epithermal veins, Candy and Nora… The fault structure hosting the Candy vein has been traced for a distance of over 3 km…. The second vein, Nora, is found 600 metres northeast of the Candy vein and can be traced for 230 metres with widths of over 9.0 metres”.
- Vizsla Silver Corp. released the results from 19 new holes targeting the Napoleon vein resource area at its Panuco project in Sinaloa. Highlighted true-width results comprise 1.46 m @ 10.74 gpt Au, 188 gpt Ag, 1.3% Pb, 3.5% Zn; 3.01 m @ 3.62 gpt Au, 40 gpt Ag, 0.8% Pb, 4.0% Zn; 3.40 m @ 3.10 gpt Au, 110 gpt Ag, 1.2% Pb, 1.1% Zn; 1.40 m @ 6.49 gpt Au, 114 gpt Ag, 0.8% Pb, 8.0% Zn; 5.93 m @ 11.35 gpt Au, 185 gpt Ag, 0.5% Pb, 2.2% Zn; 6.33 m @ 1.79 gpt Au, 52 gpt Ag, 0.2% Pb, 1.1% Zn. To date 105 holes on the Napoleon resource area define an average vein width of 3.5 m @ 3.11 gpt Au, 161 gpt Ag, 0.45% Pb, 1.3% Zn. A maiden resource estimate is planned for Q1 2022.
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd. informed that drilling continues at El Pinguico project in Guanajuato.
- Altaley Mining Corp. released its financial and operating results for Q2 2021. At Campo Morado, Guerrero, the company processed 164 K tonnes at 1,803 tonnes per day, grading 4.5% Zn, 0.34% Cu, 129 gpt Ag, 1.16 gpt Au, recovering 74% Zn, 31% Pb, at cash cost $0.48per Lb Zn and an AISC of $0.77 per Lb Zn.
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd. reported its financial and operating results for the second quarter 2021. The company operating the Zimapan and Rosario mines in Hidalgo and San Lusi Potosi respectively, processed 172.3 K tonnes to produce 799 K Oz Ag at cash cost $55.48 per tonne, cash cost $19.87 per Oz Ag, an AISC of $23.74 per Oz Ag. Revenue increased to $13.7 M and gross profits to $3.8 M.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. informed on the multi-year outlook for production at its El Limon Guajes mining complex in Guerrero. Torex plans to produce at El Limon Guajes 430-470 K Oz Au in 2021, 430-470 K Oz Au in 2021, 400-450 K Oz Au in 2023 and 330-350 K Oz Au in 2024 (1.59-1.74 M Oz Au, total). “The current production outlook assumes production from the ELG open pits through mid-2024, and stable production from the ELG Underground through to at least the end of 2024 and likely longer based on exploration results”.
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd. announced that infill and expansion drilling has commenced at its El Cubo mine in Guanajuato.
- Prime Mining Corp. reports the exercising of warrants for gross proceeds of C$9.52 M, resulting in a cash position of C$31.9 M. “From the 15,000 metre (“m”) Phase 1 diamond drill program at Los Reyes completed in June 2021, 29 unreported holes are expected to be released in the coming weeks” (Los Reyes, Sinaloa).
- Silver Wolf Exploration Ltd. announced its shares are now eligible for electronic clearing and settlement in the United States (Ana Maria, Durango).
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. announced the completion of the second scheduled drawdown of US$30 M on its previously announced US$120 Million project financing facility with an affiliate of RK Mine Finance (Las Chispas, Sonora).
- Silver Spruce Resources Inc. announced a private placement to gather up to $1 M (El Mezquite, Sonora).
- Candelaria Mining Corp. announced a non-brokered private placement geared to raise up to $7.8 M in gross proceeds (Caballo Blanco, Veracruz).
- Agnico Eagle Mines Ltd. is subscribing 13.333 M units of Candelaria Mining Corp., for a total consideration of $6 M. On closing of the private placement, Agnico is to own 15.94% of the issued and outstanding shares of Candelaria (Pinos Altos, Chihuahua).
- Mithril Resources Ltd. Is planning to raise up to A$3.3 M through a share placement (Coplaquin, Durango).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Chesapeake Gold Corp. filed a NI-43-101 technical report on the Metates sulfide heap leach project in Durango. The company has shipped selected drill core samples for metallurgical testing in Vancouver. “The Company will prioritize the intrusive and intrusive breccia portions of the Metates orebody with results of the testwork to be released on an ongoing basis. First results are expected in earlyQ1 2022”.
- Zacatecas Silver Corp. informed drilling to commence at the Panuco deposit and San Gill breccia zone on its Zacatecas Silver project. The Phase One program is to include 10,000 m of drilling. “A total of three veins will be drilled — Panuco NW, Panuco Central and Tres Cruces — which remain open at depth and along strike. These are high-priority drill targets”.
- Sonoro Gold Corp. reported assay results from surface sampling at its Cerro Caliche project in Sonora. “Surface rock samples were collected from several well-defined vein and gold mineralized structures by channel sampling perpendicular across measured veins and wall rocks with sample lengths ranging from 0.4 to 2.0 meters. Assay results from 17 samples returned grades between 2.5 and 14.3 grams of gold per tonne”. These assays are from extensions to significant structural corridors at the Buena Suerte and El Colorado zones.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd. commenced the initial 1,500 m underground resource expansion diamond drill program at San Marcial, in Sinaloa. The program will test down-dip and along strike extensions to the existing NI-43-101 resource and new targets defined by a recent geophysical program.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- No Relevant News.
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Minera Media Luna (Torex Gold) informed on medical supplies to some communities in Guerrero.
- Autlán received for second consecutive year the Ethics and Values award granted by CONCAMIN (Confederación de Cámaras Industriales).
- Peñoles received the Ethics and Values, and the Health and Wellbeing awards granted by CONCAMIN (Confederación de Cámaras Industriales).
- Minera Cuzcatlán (Fortuna Silver) informed on aid to local communities near its San José mine in Oaxaca.
- Fresnillo and Industrias Peñoles informed on aid to communities and organizations thorough the country.
- Minera Gorrión (Alamaden Minerals informed on the way it is letting the communities know about its current drilling program in Puebla.
On the image below: Low sulfidation epithermal quartz veining from a project in northern Sonora. Picture by Jorge Cirett.