Quartz vein displaying boiling texture
By Miguel A Heredia
During the 30th week of the year (July 26th to August 1st, 2021), at least 28 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico and 3 news published by the media, with eight communicating production and financial results, eight informing on exploration results, five disclosing deal and corporate issues, four reporting on resources and developments of their properties, two announcing financial topics, two commenting on Mexican issues and two discussing social issues. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Equinox announced that the illegal blockade at its Los Filos mine in Guerrero has been lifted. According to information from the Mexican Mining Chamber (CAMIMEX), mining companies working in Mexico have a sustainable commitment with the environment. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Tocvan and its partner Colibri reported results from its ongoing drilling program at the Pilar project, and Riverside announced results from the first hole testing the Santa Rosalia target at its the Cuarentas project. In Sinaloa, Vizsla released new results from its ongoing 100,000m drilling program at its Panuco project. In Durango, Canasil informed that it has completed three holes at its Nora project and Mithril provided a report of the exploration activities carried out at its Copalquin project during the period Q2, 2021. In Puebla, Almaden commenced prospect drilling at its Ixtaca property. ON MINING, Mexus announced that mining continues at the Vein 2 Area within its Santa Elena mine in Sonora. Santacruz reported Q2, 2021 production results from their Zimapan and Rosario mines in Hidalgo and San Luis Potosi respectively. Alamos Gold presented Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Mulatos mine in Sonora. Capstone announced Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Cozamine mine in Zacatecas. Agnico Eagle reported Q2, 2021 from their Mexican operations in Chihuahua and Sonora. Coeur presented Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Palmarejo mine in Chihuahua. Gold Resource announced Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Arista mine in Oaxaca. Mag Silver and its JV partner Fresnillo plc reported Q2, 2021 production results from its Juanicipio project in Zacatecas. ON FINANCING, Gold Resource declared quarterly dividends of $0.01 per common share to shareholders for the period Q2, 2021 (Arista mine, Oaxaca). Guanajuato Silver announced it has drawn down USD $7.5M from its loan facility (El Cubo mine, Guanajuato). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Chesapeake released results of its PEA for the Phase 1 mine plan of its Metates project, Durango. Fabled reported drill results and expanded to 14,200m its ongoing drilling program at the Santa Maria project, Chihuahua. GoGold continued releasing drill results from the ongoing drilling campaign at its Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. Golden Tag filed a drill permit to quadruple the number of drill pads at its San Diego project, Durango. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Commander optioned the Pedro project, Durango to Southern Empire. Vizsla announced the appointment of its VP of Business Development and Strategy (Panuco project, Sinaloa). SilverCrest announced the appointment of its VP of Technical Services (Las Chispas, Sonora). Altaley launched its new corporate website (Campo Morado mine, Guerrero). ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, Grupo Mexico delivered 9,000 trees for forestry programs to the Municipality of San Francisco del Rincón, Aguascalientes. Fresnillo plc and Industrias Peñoles have implemented strategies for the care and management of water for their operational processes in all their mines and plants.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Equinox Gold Corp., announced that the illegal blockade at its Los Filos mine, Guerrero has been lifted, access to the mine has been restored and Los Filos mine has resumed operations. There are some members of Xochipala community still camped near the Guadalupe and Bermejal open pits but Equinox´s representatives are in talks with government and Xochipala representatives to achieve resolution.
- According to information from the Mexican Mining Chamber (CAMIMEX), mining companies working in Mexico have a sustainable commitment. In 2020 more than MXP $7,450M was invested in the country to take care of the environment such as efficient water management, reforestation, and conservation of the flora and fauna species as part of its sustainability policies and in compliance with Mexican legislation.
- Tocvan Ventures Corp. and its partner Colibri Resources Corporation reported results from its 20-holes, 2500 m Phase 2 RC program at the Pilar project in Sonora. Significant drill results were encountered in holes JES-21-53 with 1.09 g/t Au and 2 g/t Ag (1.11 g/t AuEq) over 15.25m, including 2.42 g/t Au and 3 g/t Ag (2.45 g/t AuEq) over 4.58m, including 4.57 g/t Au and 3 g/t Ag (4.65 g/t AuEq) over 1.53m; hole JES-21-52 with 0.63 g/t Au and 47 g/t Ag (1.13 g/t AuEq) over 3.05m, plus 0.49 g/t Au and 31 g/t Ag (0.81 g/t AuEq) over 3.06m; hole JES-21-55 with 0.43 g/t Au and 4 g/t Ag (0.47 g/t AuEq) over 10.67m, including 1.16 g/t Au and 7 g/t Ag (1.24 g/t AuEq) over 1.52m, plus 1.2 g/t Au over 1.53m; and hole JES-21-50 with 0.96 g/t Au and 2 g/t Ag (0.99 g/t AuEq) over 39.65m, including 3.04 g/t Au and 6 g/t Ag (3.1 g/t AuEq) over 12.2m, including 14.55 g/t Au and 11 g/t Ag (14.67 g/t AuEq) over 1.53m. “The drilling appears to be defining a footprint of mineralization approximately 500m X 500m with expansion potential to the southeast”.
- Riverside Resources Inc., announced results from the first drill hole testing the Santa Rosalia target at its the Cuarentas project. Hole LC20-010 intersected 0.36 g/t Au over 3.15m, including 0.88 g/t Au over 0.7m, plus 0.58 g/t Au over 1.55m, including 1.05 g/t Au over 0.65m. “The Cuarentas epithermal vein drilled mineralized area intersected at surface and appears to be the upper part of a copper-gold porphyry system that is potentially responsible for the extensive >6km area including sericite and pyrophyllite alteration”. Riverside is highlighting the possibility of a feeder system of intermediate sulphidation along the Testerazo fault corridor.
- Vizsla Silver Corp., released new results from its ongoing 100,000m drilling program at its Panuco project. These new results are from ten holes completed at Cordon del Oro area, on which nine out of the ten holes intersected a new east-west trending vein within the San Antonio Vein corridor. The most significant drill intercepts were encountered in holes CO-21-44 with 6.64 g/t Au and 705 g/t Ag (1,283 g/t AgEq) over a true width (TW) of 2.07m, including 14.65 g/t Au and 1,365 g/t Ag (2,649 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 0.78m; and hole CO-21-50 with 2.59 g/t Au and 747 g/t AgEq (943 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 2.17m, including 4.23 g/t Au and 1,230 g/t Ag (1,551 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 1.18m. Drilling results have delineated near-surface mineralization zone of 200m along strike and 100m down dip, and remain open in all directions. Next step is to expand this new zone both at depth and laterally.
- Canasil Resources Inc., informed that it has completed three holes and a fourth is on progress at its Nora project in Durango. All holes were collared below and between high-grade gold and silver intercepts from the 2020 drill holes NRC-20-04 and NRC-20-06 on the Candy vein structure. A total of 790 metres of core drilling has been completed since the start of the program in early July 2021. 110 core samples from holes NRC-21-09 y NRC-21-10 have been already shipped to the lab for assays.
- Mithril Resources Ltd., provided a report of the exploration activities carried out at its Copalquin project during the period Q2, 2021. Highlights include a) drilling at El Refugio target has extended the known mineralization to 700m X 350m; the discovery of the “77 Clavo” with bonanzas grades such as those encountered in hole CDH-077 with 80.3 g/t Au and 705 g/t Ag over a length of 8.26m, including 106 g/t Au and 913 g/t Ag over a length of 6.26m, including 837 g/t Au and 6,680 g/t Ag over a lengths of 0.77m; b) Continue expansion of the El Refugio Clavo with multiple high-grade intercepts including hole CDH-075 with 13.8 g/t Au and 83 g/t Ag over a length of 2.70m, plus 10.9 g/t Au and 364 g/t Ag over a length of 4.25m; hole CDH-063 with 5.32 g/t Au and 105 g7t Ag over a length of 83; hole CDH-062 with 4.12 g/t Au and 107 g/t Ag over a length of 4.82m; and hole 2.34 g/t Au and 144 g/t Ag over a length of 7.60m; c) Confirmation of the El Cometa bonanza grades with twin of historic drill hole CDH-072 which intersected 74 g/t Au and 841 g/t Ag over a length of 6.8m, including 235 g/t Au and 2,554 g/t Ag over a length of 2.1m; d) Results from 240 soil samples collected at El Refugio Zone have extended the target zone for drilling a full 1.3Km west from the currently westernmost drill holes; and e) the company is preparing a maiden JORC resource estimate for El Refugio/El Cometa Zones and is expected to be completed by H2, 2021.
- Almaden Minerals ltd., commenced prospect drilling at its Ixtaca property in Puebla. Focus of the drilling program is the Southeast Alteration Zone (SE Alteration Zone) located approximately 1km from the Ixtaca deposit. The SE Alteration Zone measures about 1.5Km x 1km and comprises clay-altered volcanic rocks with clusters of anomalies identified from a hyperspectral survey, including kaolinite, alunite, and buddingtonite. Work exploration of this area has also included geophysics and geological mapping.
- Mexus Gold US announced that mining continues at the Vein 2 Area within its Santa Elena mine in Sonora. “Mining is currently being developed at the quartz vein with 1 to 1.5 meter with some wider pocket zones. Mexus has found 10 g/t gold zones randomly with notable oxide coloring due to former sulphides. Thrust fault shear mineral is being worked around it and only high grade quartz vein is loaded and hauled”. Pregnant solution from the heap leach pad is ranging from 0.3 to 1.7 g/t Au and is treated by Carbon absorption. One ton of loaded carbon is en route to Chicago for processing for final sale which will allow Mexus to increase production on a weekly basis.
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd., reported Q2, 2021 production results from their Zimapan and Rosario mines in Hidalgo and San Luis Potosi respectively. At Zimapan, Hidalgo, the company processed 155,047 tonnes of 84 g/t Ag, 0.6% Pb, 2.5% Zn, and 0.38% Cu (202 g/t AgEq) to produce 310.9K Oz Ag, 0.67M Lb Pb, 6.38M Lb Zn, and 1.08M Lb Cu (757.9K Oz AgEq). At Rosario mine, San Luis Potosi, Santacruz processed 16,917 tonnes of 45 g/t Ag, 0.16 g/t Au, 0.2% Pb, and 1.4% Zn (104 g/t AgEq) to produce 18.49K Oz Ag, 53 Oz Au, 69.4K Lb Pb, and 394.2K Lb Zn (41.1K Oz AgEq).
- Alamos Gold Inc., presented Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Mulatos mine in Sonora. It produced 35.9K Oz Au and sold 28.67K Oz Au at a cost of USD $1,395 and USD $893 per Oz Au produced respectively, and an AISC of USD $1,144 per Oz Au sold. Alamos also provided a 2021 guidance and expects to produce between 150K-160K Oz Au at total and AISC of USD $840-890 and USD $1,060-1,110 per Oz Au respectively.
- Capstone Mining Corp., announced Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Cozamine mine in Zacatecas. The company mined 332K tonnes and milled 348K tonnes of 1.86% Cu, 0.5% Zn, and 40 g/t Ag with metallurgical recoveries of 96.3%, 46.7%, and 82.1% respectively, to produce 13.8M Lb Cu, 1.88M Lb Zn, and 364K Oz Ag. Cash cost was USD $1/lb Cu produced. Cozamine reported revenues for USD $68.6M and an adjusted EBIDTA of USD $50M.
- Agnico Eagle Mines Limited reported Q2, 2021 from their Mexican operations in Chihuahua and Sonora. At Pinos Altos, Chihuahua, Agnico processed 521K tonnes of 2.07 g/t Au to produce 32.6K Oz Au and 331K Oz Ag at a production and total cash costs of USD $1,106 and USD $849 per Oz Au produced respectively. At Creston-Mascota, Chihuahua, the company produced 3.23K Oz Au and 41K Oz Ag at production and total cash costs of USD $608 and USD $341 per Oz Au produced respectively from residual leaching . At La India, Sonora, it processed 1.745M tonnes of 0.46 g/t Au to produce 4.7K Oz Au and 7K Oz Ag at costs of USD $1,390 and USD $1,350 per Oz Au produced respectively.
- Coeur Mining Inc., presented Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Palmarejo mine in Chihuahua. The company milled 517,373 tonnes of 1.8 g/t Au and 122 g/t Ag with metallurgical recoveries of 92.4% and 81.9% respectively to produce 27.6K Oz Au and 1.67M Oz Ag. Coeur sold 30.5K Oz Au and 1.64M Oz Ag at an adjusted cost of USD $662 and USD $13.34 per Oz Au sold and Oz Ag sold respectively. The company reported a cash flow of USD $33.4M and a free cash flow of USD $23.6M.
- Gold Resource Corporation announced Q2, 2021 production and financial results from its Arista mine in Oaxaca. The company milled 129.6K tonnes of 1.93 g/t Au, 77 g/t Ag, 0.4% Cu, 1.6% Pb, and 3.6% Zn at total cash and AISC of USD $713 and USD $1,280 respectively to produce 5,697 Oz Au, 270.3K Oz Ag, 817.6K Lb Cu, 2.72M Lb Pb, and 7.15M Lb Zn (9,685 Oz AuEq). Gold Resource reported an EBIDTA of USD $7.4M and an operating cash flow of USD $9.3M.
- Mag Silver Corp., and its JV partner Fresnillo plc reported Q2, 2021 production results from its Juanicipio project in Zacatecas. Mag Silver (44%) and Fresnillo plc (56%) processed 44,435 tonnes of underground development material to produce 434.9K Oz Ag and 787 Oz Au of which 191.35K Oz Ag and 346 Oz Au are attributable to Mag Silver. The associated lead and zinc production will be reported with MAG’s second quarter filings.
- Gold Resource Corporation declared quarterly dividends of $0.01 per common share to shareholders for the period Q2, 2021 payable on September 30, 2021 (Arista mine, Oaxaca).
- Guanajuato Silver Company Ltd., announced it has drawn down USD $7.5M from its loan facility with trading firm OCIM Group. This financing will be used to restarts its El Cubo mine and mill complex in Guanajuato.
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Chesapeake Gold Corp., released results of its PEA for the Phase 1 mine plan of its Metates project, Durango. The PEA demonstrates robust project economics such as Pre-Tax NPV of USD $1.14B and 35% IRR at USD $1,600 per Oz Au and USD $22 per Oz Ag at a 5% discount rate, over a 31-year mine life. The PEA includes a revised mineral resource estimate for the Metates Project and replaces the mineral reserve estimate contained in the Company’s updated preliminary feasibility study dated April 29, 2016. The measured and indicated mineral resource is 1.3 billion tonnes at 0.47 g/t gold and 12.9 g/t silver for 19.8M Oz Au and 542M Oz Ag. Inferred mineral resource is an additional 62.2M tonnes at 0.32g/t gold and 9.0 g/t silver for 640K Oz Au and 18M Oz Ag. The PEA reports an average annual production of over 110K Oz Au and 2.5M Oz Ag during the first 15 years at AISC of USD $748 per Oz Au produced.
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp., reported drill results and announced expansion of its ongoing drilling program at the Santa Maria project, Chihuahua to 14,200m. Hole SM20-21 intersected 0.16 g/t Au, 7 g/t Ag, 0.4% Pb, 0.1% Zn, and 0.01% Cu (15 g/t Ag) over 18.9m, including 0.62 g/t Au, 16 g/t Ag, 0.2% Pb, 0.5% Zn, and 0.01% Cu (63 g/t AgEq) over 2.10m; and hole SM20-22 intersected 4.95 g/t Au, 13 g/t Ag, 0.1% Pb, 0.3% Zn, and 0.02% Cu (268 g/t AgEq) over 14.4m, including 7.17 g/t Au, 16 g/t Ag, 0.1% Pb, 0.3% Zn, and 0.03% Cu (385 g/t AgEq) over 9.5m, plus 0.94 g/t Au, 59 g/t Ag, 0.5% Pb, 0.4% Zn, and 0.04% Cu (107 g/t AgEq) over 3.1m, including 1.05 g/t Au, 66 g/t Ag, 0.8% Pb, and 0.04% Cu (120 g/t AgEq) over 1m, including 1.56 g/t Au, 78 g/t Ag, and 0.07% Cu (158 g/t AgEq) over 0.9m. The company expanded the present drilling by 5,000m to a total of 14,200m to properly evaluate the mineralization at the Santa Maria property.
- GoGold Resources Inc., continued released results from five holes drilled at its Los Ricos North project in Jalisco. The best drill intercept was encountered in hole LRGF-21.052 with 0.31 g/t Au, 113 g/t Ag (1.82 g/t AuEq or 136 g/t AgEq) over a length of 51.3m, including 0.96 g/t Au, 235 g/t Ag (4.1 g/t AuEq or 307 g/t AgEq) over a length of 11.4m, including 2.78 g/t Au and 1,367 g/t Ag (21.01 g/t AuEq or 1,576 g/t AgEq) over a length of 0.9m, including 2.65 g/t Au and 336 g/t Ag (7.13 g/t AuEq or 535 g/t AgEq) over a length of 3m, including 9.63 g/t Au and 655 g/t Ag (18.35 g/t AuEq or 1,376 g/t AgEq) over a length of 0.7m, plus 0.18 g/t Au and 169 g/t Ag (2.44 g/t AuEq or 183 g/t AgEq) over a length of 1.5m. Another significant drill intercept was encountered in hole LRGF-21-054 with 0.20 g/t Au and 77 g/t Ag (1.24 g/t AuEq or 93 g/t AgEq) over a length of 63.6m, including 1.1 g/t Au and 401 g/t Ag (6.46 g/t AuEq or 484 g/t AgEq) over a length of 5.6m, including 1.52 g/t Au and 539 g/t Ag (8.71 g/t AuEq or 653 g/t AgEq) over a length of 4m, including 1.96 g/t Au and 784 g/t Ag (12.41 g/t AuEq or 931 g/t AgEq) over a length of 1m.
- Golden Tag Resources Ltd., filed with SEMARNAT a drill permit to quadruple the number of drill pads from 14 to 58 at its San Diego project, Durango. The drill permit is expected to be obtained during Q3, 2021.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Commander Resources Ltd., granted an option to Southern Empire Resources Corp. to acquire a 100% interest in the Pedro project, Durango. Pedro is an epithermal gold project with potential for both bulk mineable and bonanza-grade vein deposit and comprises 1,750 Ha in three mineral claims. Total consideration for the option is CDN $700K as follow: CDN $25K and 100K shares on completion of a definitive agreement, CDN $125K on the first agreement anniversary, CDN $250K on the second anniversary, and CDN $300K on the third anniversary. Southern Empire also must to complete CDN $1.5M in exploration expenditures, including CDN $400K within the first year of the agreement. Commander will retain a 2% NSR royalty with no buydown provision.
- Vizsla Silver Corp., announced the appointment of its VP of Business Development and Strategy (Panuco project, Sinaloa).
- SilverCrest Metals Inc., announced the appointment of its VP of Technical Services (Las Chispas, Sonora).
- Altaley Mining Corporation launched its completely renewed corporate website with modern design to facilitate the access to its information (Campo Morado mine, Guerrero).
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Grupo Mexico delivered 9,000 trees for forestry program to the Municipality of San Francisco del Rincón, Aguascalientes. This program called “Mexicanos Sembrando” is one of the initiatives that have been generated to take care of the environment.
- Fresnillo plc and Industrias Peñoles S.A.B. de C.V., have implemented strategies for the care and management of water for their operational processes in all their mines and plants. Both Peñoles and Fresnillo plc collaborate with the communities with campaigns to raise awareness about the use and conservation of the resource. Likewise, they support the human right to access to water in nearby towns through the service of pipes and support the population with rainwater collectors. In the same way, Peñoles participates in community projects such as the creation of water wells in different localities of Guerrero, Durango, Sonora and Chihuahua.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, a quartz vein displaying boiling texture in a low sulphidation epithermal vein system from a prospect in San Luis Potosi, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.