By Jorge Cirett
During the 24th week of the year (June 11th to June 17th, 2018), at least 16 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. Four companies updated on exploration advances, and one the commencement of mining activities. Four companies announced financing rounds, loans and bonds for an aggregate of over $55 M. One company disclosed news on drilling near resources and development while one other released metallurgical test results. ON MEXICO ISSUES, mining companies are awaiting a Supreme Court resolution on a Zacatecas State tax imposition on mining. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Aloro updated on exploration work at Los Venados; Colibri finished drilling at El Pilar, and released results from a soil survey; Colibri disclosed drilling results by Agnico at its Pitaya project. In Veracruz, Azucar Minerals started a drilling campaign on the Norte zone and the north part of the Villa Rica zone at its El Cobre porject. ON MINING, Mexus started pilot mining at its 8 Hermanos property in Sonora. ON FINANCING, Alamaden raised $9.4 M; Starcore launched a private placement for CDN$3 M; Telson paid US$8 M and obtained a loan for US$8.5 M; Endeavour Silver is to sell common shares for an aggregate of up to $35.7 M. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, SilverCrest Metals released high-grade results from drilling of the Granaditas vein on Las Chispas project, in Sonora. Azure Minerals released metallurgical test results from Oposura, also in Sonora. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Starcore decided not to go ahead with the acquisition of the Santa Fe property in Sinaloa. Defiance Silver entered into an agreement to acquire Mag Silver’s properties in the Zacatecas District.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Fresnillo PLC and Mag Silver Corp. are awaiting a Supreme Court (Suprema Corte de la Nación) resolution on a mining duty attached to environmental impact, set by the state of Zacatecas. The federal government challenged the State’s right to impose such a duty back in 2017.
- Aloro Mining Corp. updated on its exploration of the Los Venados project in Sonora. Mapping and sampling have defined a rhyodacitic volcanic dome associated with high sulfidation style alteration with Au-Bi-Mo anomalies. Several felsic dome/silica breccia complexes have been located, with the highest priority target on the dome at the southeast part of the property, where gold in soil anomalies and IP anomalies coincide. A new environmental report is being submitted to the authorities, seeking permit for 12 reverse circulation holes.
- Colibri Resource Corp. completed the final 900 m of its 3,000 m phase 1 drilling program on its Pilar project in Sonora. Samples have been taken to the lab and results are pending. A 56 sample soil survey returned 10 samples greater than 0.1 g/t Au, and 3 samples over 1 g/t Au.
- Colibri Resource Corp. released results from drilling on its Pitaya project in Sonora, by joint venture partner Agnico Eagle. Highlighted results from the last four holes comprise 9 m @ 0.26 g/t Au; 26 m @ 0.19 g/t Au; 34 m @ 0.22 g/t Au. During 2016-2017, Agnico drilled 7,641 m in 27 drill holes.
- Azucar Minerals Ltd. has begun drilling the North zone and the north end of the Villa Rica zone of its El Cobre project in Veracruz. Preparations for this drilling campaign include surface and soil geologic and alteration focused mapping and sampling. “The current drilling at Villa Rica is focused on the Naranjo zone, a new area of exposed porphyry alteration and mineralisation located approximately 500 metres north of the previous Villa Rica drilling and about 1.2 kilometres south of the Norte Zone.”
- Mexus Gold US begun mining at the 8 Brothers/370 project in Sonora. “The company has mined 1000 tons of material containing an average of 9 grams Au and 50 grams Ag per ton. This material is currently being run through a crushing system and placed into an aerated VAT holding tank”. Its portable Merril Crowe system has been installed and tested.
- Almaden Minerals Ltd. closed its previously announced non-brokered private placement, raising gross proceeds of $9.44 M. Finders fees of $384.9 K cash and finder warrants of 192,450 shares at $1.35 until June 7, 2020 were paid to arms-length, licensed securities dealers on a portion of the offering (Ixtaca, Puebla).
- Starcore International Mines Ltd. launched a private placement of secured bonds for CDN$3 M. “The Bonds will bear interest at 8% per annum, payable on maturity, and will mature 24 months from the date of closing” (San Martin mine, Queretaro).
- Telson Mining Corp. announced the payment of US$8 M to Nyrstar Mining Ltd. as partial payment, and entered into a loan agreement with Nyrstar Canada (Holdings) Ltd. that converts the final US$8.5 M due on the Campo Morado acquisition agreement into a loan that extends the payment terms for eight months. The principal due is US$8.5 M that are to be paid starting July 13, 2018 with a monthly minimum of US$1 M plus interest, plus 70% of the free cash flow generated by Telson and any monthly excess cash balance above US$500 K.
- Endeavour Silver Corp. is to sell from time to time and its discretion common shares for an aggregate of up to US$35.7 M, through “at the market” distributions (Terronera, Jalisco).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. announced new drill results for the Granaditas vein at its Las Chispas property in Sonora. Highlighted true width (TW) intervals comprise 1.5 m @ 3.63 g/t Au, 190 g/t Ag; 1.8 m @ 12.14 g/t Au, 1,440 g/t Ag (including 0.40 m @ 47.50 g/t Au, 5,620 g/t Au); 1.3 m @ 3.24 g/t Au, 339 g/t Ag; 1.2 m @ 1.23 g/t Au, 114 g/t Ag. The vein has a high-grade footprint currently at 150 m long by 100 m high and 1.5 m average true width, grading 5.69 g/t Au, 596 g/t Ag.
- Azure Minerals Ltd. released metallurgical test work results on its Oposura project in Sonora. Azure highlights a 34% overall increase in the recovery of Pb and Zn using a dense media separation technique.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Starcore International Mines Ltd. completed its due diligence and review of the Santa Fe project in Sinaloa, under a previously signed LOI (letter of intent). Starcore will not be proceeding with the acquisition.
- Defiance Silver Corp. entered into an agreement to acquire Mag Silver’s Zacatecas silver district holdings. Mag Silver is to receive 5 M common shares of Defiance, approximately a 5% investment position. Defiance is to receive a 100% interest in the Lagartos project, along with a regional database. The company is to control 1,506 ha, including 65% of the Veta Grande vein and the San Acacio silver deposit.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, intense kaolinitization of felsic volcanic rocks on a shallow epithermal system in Guanajuato. Picture by Jorge Cirett.