By Jorge Cirett
During the 22nd week of the year (May 27th to June 2nd, 2019), at least 27 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. ON MEXICO ISSUES, on a move that is likely to paralyze the processing of documents at all regional offices of the Direccion General de Minas, the federal government fired all non-unionized workers. The Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas has now been closed by an illegal blockade for more than a month. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Sonoro Metals provided an update on drilling at its Cerro Caliche property. In Chihuahua, Radius Gold released results on two more holes at its Amalia project. In Zacatecas, Galore Resources is mobilizing a rig to drill the El Alamo and Los Gemelos projects. ON MINING, Impact Silver, Telson Resources and Santacruz Silver presented its first quarter 2019 financial and/or operational results. Endeavour Silver updated on its performance plan. Camrova provided an update on mining and mine life plans for the Boleo mine in Baja. ON FINANCING, Prize Mining completed the first tranche of financing for $630 K; Ethos Gold announced a financing round intended to raise $225 K. Magna Gold completed a private placement for CAD$2.67 M. Silver One is to start trading on the OTCQB Marketplace. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Gold Resource released more drill results from its El Aguila project in Oaxaca. Fresnillo is investing US$5 M at La Cienega mine in Durango. GoGold released assay results from trenching at its Los Ricos property in Jalisco. Defiance Silver is drilling a geophysical anomaly along the Veta Grande vein system in Zacatecas. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Radius Gold granted Panamerican Silver an option to earn up to 65% on the Amalia project, in Chihuahua. Magna Gold is to commence trading on June 5, 2019. The company optioned the Mercedes property and lately the Las Marias and Las Cabañas properties, in the vicinity Mercedes. Discovery Metals and Levon Resources combined their enterprises on an agreement that gives Discovery and Levon shareholders 50.4% and 49.6% ownership respectively. Altos Hornos de Mexico (AHMSA) bank accounts have begun unfreezing by Mexican authorities.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- The federal government fired all non-unionized workers from the regional offices of the Dirección General de Minas (Chihuahua, Durango, Guadalajara, Hermosillo, Puebla, Queretaro, Saltillo, Zacatecas), in a move that is very likely to paralyze the already slow pace of paperwork at this government branch. Releasing of ground for staking, issuing concession titles, title reductions, cartographic information and contract registration are just some of the processes likely to be affected by this event (Personnel reduction is a cost saving strategy by the present federal administration, strategy that is feared to be likely to result in the centralization, slowing and paralysis of many government services in the coming months).
- The Peñasquito mine in Zacatecas has been now affected by an illegal blockade for more than a month. So far authorities at all levels continue to advise “negotiations” as the way to solve the illegal blockade, being careful not to mention any applicable law.
- Galore Resources Inc. announced the mobilization of a drill rig to El Alamo project in Zacatecas. The 2,500 m diamond drill program can be followed by additional 1,500 m of drilling at Los Gemelos project, also in Zacatecas. El Alamo consists of Cretaceous sediments, mostly limestone with some siltstone and chert, with alteration and mineralization represented by varying amounts of silicification and iron-oxide bodies after sulfides. The target has a minimum strike length of 500 m and 200 m width. Trenching highlighted values of up to 20.4 gpt Au, whereas drilling encountered widespread anomalous gold, running up to 17.1 gpt Au. Coarse gold recovery by gravity was attempted at the nearby Los Gemelos property with a partner, but the agreement on such endeavor has been terminated due to the lack of results. The drill target at Los Gemelos are porphyry intrusive related gold-copper skarns.
- Radius Gold Inc. has completed six diamond drill holes totaling 1,743 m at its Amalia project in Chihuahua. Assays have been received for the second and third holes (results on the first hole were previously released), highlighting the intercept of 5m @ 647 gpt Ag of white chalcedonic stockworks, silicification and hydrothermal breccias. The remaining three holes (results pending) cut wide intervals of moderate to strong silica and adularia alteration, brecciation, quartz sulphide veinlets and trace fine to moderate black sulphides.
- Sonoro Metals Corp. provided an update on the last 20 holes at its Cerro Caliche project in Sonora. Highlighted intercepts comprise 9.15 m @ 1.26 gpt AuEq at Japoneses, 3.05 m @ 6.18 gpt AuEq; 9.14 m @ 1.33 gpt AuEq at La Española, 15.24 m @ 0.56 gpt AuEq at Guadalupe, 7.6 m @ 1.14 gpt AuEq at Chinos Altos, 10.67 m @ 1.06 gpt AuEq, and 10.67 m @ 0.74 gpt AuEq at Buena Suerte. Almost 90% of the 10,000 m drill program is now complete.
- Impact Silver Corp. released its first quarter 2019 financial and production results. The company processed 35.8 K tonnes @ 167 gpt Ag to produce 163.6 K Oz Ag. Revenue was $3.0 M, with a net loss for the quarter of $0.9 M. Costs per tonne processed have been reduced by 10% from last year, as the company continues to focus on cost reductions. Dense media separation is being evaluated for treating ore from the Capire project, and a new concentrate sales partnership has been signed. The company had cash of $0.4 M and trade and other receivables of $1.6 by the end of the period.
- Endeavour Silver Corp. updated on its operating and financial performance plan initiated on recent months. The plan involves “changes to mine-site management and contractors, changes to employee and contractor supervision, renting used mining equipment and leasing new mining equipment, and revising the 2019 mine plans for all four mines, particularly Guanacevi. The Company has cut operating and administrative costs, reduced the employee and contractor workforce by 18% and deferred all discretionary expenditures”.
- Telson Mining Corp. reported first quarter 2019 financial results. At Campo Morado in Guerrero, 152.1 K tonnes of ore @ 4.25% Zn, 1.14% Pb, 118 gpt Ag, 1.08 gpt Au were mined at a daily rate of 1,811 tonnes (tpd); 148.3 K tonnes were processed (1,765 tpd), recovering 69% Zn, 33% Pb to produce 9.7 M Lb Zn, 1.5 M Lb Pb, 212.7 K Oz Ag, 895 Oz Au at cash cost of US$0.71 and AISC US$1.01 per Lb Zn produced, obtaining a mine operating profit of C$3.05 M. At Tahuehueto in Durango, pre-production mining rendered approximately 21.6 K tonnes of ore. Telson produced 168 tonnes of lead concentrate (39% Pb, 6% Cu, 80 gpt Au, 840 gpt Ag) and 218 tonnes of Zinc concentrate (44% Zn, 9 gpt Au, 68 gpt Ag). Recoveries stood at 81% Au, 86% Ag, 90% Pb, 60% Zn, 88% Cu.
- Santacruz Silver Mining Ltd. reported operating and financial results for the first quarter 2019. During the period 42.9 K tonnes were processed to produce 257 k Oz AgEq at cash cost $20.64 and an AISC of $24.38. Revenue was $2.49 M on mining operations and $790 K on mining services, reporting a net loss of $1.84 M (Veta Grande, Zacatecas; Rosario, San Luis Potosi).
- Camrova Resources Inc. provided an update on the Boleo mine activities in Baja California Sur. The project is run by Korea Resources Corp, the majority shareholder, with Camrova holding a 7.24% stake that gives it rights to attend board meetings. For 2019 the production forecast of underground ore is 508 Kt @ 1.19% Cu and 2.44 Mt of open pit ore @ 80% Cu. Recoveries are expected to be 80.4% Cu, 29.9% Co, 4.2% Zn to produce 19,697 t of copper cathode, 419 t of cobalt and 1,016 t of zinc, resulting in negative free cash flow of $21M after payment of $25M in interest. It is also forecasted a 16 years mine life ending in 2034 by which time all debt is projected to be repaid, without a return of any of the capital that has been invested to date.
- Prize Mining Corp. closed the first tranche of a non-brokered private placement, for gross proceeds of $630 K (Manto Negro, Coahuila).
- Magna Gold Corp. completed a private placement financing for gross proceeds of CAD$2.67 M (Mercedes, Sonora).
- Defiance Silver Corp. granted 990 K options to directors, officers and employees of the company at an exercise price of $0.195.
- Silver One Resources Inc. shares will commence trading on the OTCQB Marketplace under the symbol “SLVRF” at open of markets on May 31, 2019(La Frazada, Nayarit).
- Ethos Gold Corp. announced a non-brokered private placement to raise gross proceeds of $225 K (La Purisima, Chihuahua).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Gold Resource Corp. released further drilling results from its El Aguila property in Oaxaca. “High-grade mineralization intercepted 175 meters along the northern strike and 200 meters up-dip in vertical elevation significantly expanding the Arista Mine”. Highlighted intercepts comprise 3.45 m @ 2.45 gpt Au, 17 gpt Ag, 0.42% Cu, 1.4% Pb, 5.8% Zn; 1.45 m @ 4.35 gpt Au, 91 gpt Ag, 0.35% Cu, 1.5% Pb, 1.7% Zn; 11.95 m @ 1.04 gpt Au, 494 gpt Ag, 0.14% Cu, 0.4% Pb, 1.1% Zn (including 2.50 m @ 2.68 gpt Au, 1,420 gpt Ag, 0.33% Cu, 1.3% Pb, 3.2% Zn); 8.02 m @ 0.56 gpt Au, 395 gpt Ag, 0.06% Cu, nil Pb, 0.1%Zn.
- Fresnillo PLC. is investing US$5 M at its La Cienega mine in Durango. The company is to undertake an economic evaluation of the plant expansion, intensify exploration on several targets and permitting the fourth tailings dam. The 4,000 tonne/day (tpd) mining unit has been in operation since 1992, currently with a labor force of 513 employees and 544 workers by contractors. On 2018 the plant processed 1.32 M tonnes @ 1.65 gpt Au, 164 gpt Ag, to produce 66,869 Oz Au, 6 M Oz Ag, 4,799 tonnes Pb, 5,892 tonnes Zn.
- GoGold Resources Inc. released assay results from 23 exploration trenches completed at its Los Ricos project in Jalisco. Geological mapping, sampling and trenching defined at least five new targets, identifying mineralisation for further 1.5 Km along strike, taking the system to a total longitude of 3.2 Km, on 1 to 25 m widths. Highlighted results (on estimated true width) include 22 m @ 0.92 gpt Au, 54 gpt Ag; 16.0 m @ 2.53 gpt Au, 187 gpt Ag; 21.0 m @ 0.44 gpt Au, 47 gpt Ag; 18.0 m @ 3.50 gpt Au, 71 gpt Ag; 7.4 m @ 2.16 gpt Au, 31 gpt Ag; 5.6 m @ 3.32 gpt Au, 49 gpt Ag; 9.1 m @ 1.73 gpt Au, 112 gpt Ag; 16 m @ 0.55 gpt Au, 163 gpt Ag; 17.6 m @ 0.76 gpt Au, 121 gpt Ag; 10.1 m @ 1.42 gpt Au, 164 gpt Ag; 8.8 m @ 1.95 gpt Au, 129 gpt Ag.
- Defiance Silver Corp. commenced a drill program targeting a large induced polarization (IP) geophysical target on the Veta Grande vein, SE of the San Acacio Silver deposit (with an inferred resource of 17 M Oz Ag @ 182 gpt Ag). The program is testing a 450 m step out on the Veta Grande vein system
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Radius Gold Corp. has granted Pan American Silver Corp. the option to earn up to an initial 65% interest in the Amalia project in Chihuahua, by making cash payments to Radius totaling US$1.5 M (of which US$100 K has been received) and expending US$2 M on exploration over four years. Pan American may earn an additional 10% by advancing the property to preliminary-feasibility (Amalia, Chihuahua).
- Magna Gold Corp. informed that its qualifying transaction is scheduled to close on June 5, 2019 pursuant to the policies of the Exchange. Trading of the common shares of Magna is expected to resume on the Exchange under the symbol “MGR”. The company has optioned 100% interest in two mining claims (the 345 ha Mercedes property in Sonora) for a four-year period, paying an aggregate of US$1.34 M paid in installments, starting on the sixth month of the effective date of the agreement and issue 2.44 M shares to the vendor. The seller is to retain a 3% NSR capped at $3.5 M, which can be bought at $500 K per percentage point within the first three years of production.
- Magna Gold Corp. entered into an agreement to acquire the Las Marias property and Las Cabañas mineral claims. Las Marias consists of seven concessions covering 646 hectares adjacent to its flagship Mercedes property and Las Cabañas consists of two concessions covering 248 hectares 10 km from the Mercedes property. The total purchase will be $250 k and the issuance of 1 M common shares of the company. “Magna’s total land tenure will increase to 1,239 hectares of highly prospective ground”.
- Discovery Metals Corp. and Levon Resources Ltd. entered into an arrangement agreement to combine both enterprises to create a “leading silver-focused exploration and development company that will control several district-scale projects in Mexico”. Discovery has agreed to acquire all of the issued and common shares of Levon, with Levon’s shareholders receiving 0.55 shares of Discovery for every Levon share held. Upon completing the transaction former shareholders of Levon will control 49.6% of the Discovery shares outstanding. Discovery holds a 150 K hectares land package in Coahuila, encompassing three shallow and high-grade silver-zinc-lead projects, while Levon’s primary asset is the Cordero project in Chihuahua, with 990 M tonnes @ 32 gpt AgEq and 282 M tones @ 56 gpt AgEq in indicated and inferred mineral resources respectively.
- Altos Hornos de Mexico S. (AHMSA) bank accounts have begun unfreezing by Mexican authorities, allowing normal activities to be resumed. “The bank accounts of the steelmaker were frozen by Mexico’s financial intelligence unit earlier in the week on suspicion of money laundering. The move to unfreeze the accounts follows the arrest in Spain of AHMSA chairman Alonso Ancira, who was detained by Interpol on May 28.”
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below, galena-sphalerite-pyrite-chalcopyrite-quartz vein piece from a mine in Michoacan. Picture by Jorge Cirett.