Orogenic Gold Vein
By Miguel A Heredia
During the twelfth week of the year (March 22th to March 28th, 2021), at least 26 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico and 4 news published by the media, with seven disclosing deals and corporate issues, seven reporting on resources and development, five announcing financial rounds, five informing on exploration resources, three commenting on Mexican issues, two discussing social issues, and one communicating production and financial results. ON MEXICO ISSUES, Americas Gold and Silver announced that its Cosala mine in Sinaloa continue on care and maintenance after a group of individuals blocked illegally their operation since last February 2020. The head of the Tax Administration Service (SAT), Raquel Buenrostro, declared that Mining companies pay only 0.0002% of their income in taxes, however, Fernando Alanís, president of the Mexican Mining Chamber (Camimex), stated that mining in Mexico has higher taxes than those of its direct competitors. Mexico’s rich mining industry has been the basis for the success of the automotive industry for more than 500 years. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, Silver Tiger reported results from two holes collared at its El Tigre project. In Chihuahua, Radius completed the phase four drilling at its Amalia project. In Sinaloa, Kootenay commenced a 3,500m core drilling program at its Copalito project, and Brigadier reported that it has rehabilitated, mapped and sampled over 29 newly discovered historic mine workings in the central part of its Picachos project. In Durango, Mithril provided an update on the exploration activities carried out at its Copalquin property. ON MINING, Impact Silver reported the 2020 full year production and financial results from its Zacualpan mine in the State of Mexico. ON FINANCING, Empress closed its previously announced bought deal offering for gross proceeds of CAD $15.75M, and also closed a non-brokered private placement for gross proceeds of CAD $650K (Pinos project, Zacatecas). Fabled commenced to trade on the OTCQB Venture Marketplace under the symbol “FBSGF” (Santa Maria property, Chihuahua). Gold Resource declared March 2021 monthly dividend (Arista mine, Oaxaca). Silver Spruce granted 250K stock options to a consultant of the company with an exercise price of $0.06 per share (El Mezquite project, Sonora). VanGold granted stock options to officers and directors of the company (El Pinguico property, Guanajuato). ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Fabled release assay results of hole SM 20-06 from its ongoing 8,000m drilling program on its Santa Maria project at Chihuahua. Golden Minerals announced expansion drilling at its Rodeo project in Durango. GR Silver released assay results from the current core drilling program from its Plomosas property in Sinaloa. Orla provided an update on the construction of its Camino Rojo mine operation in Zacatecas. Sonoro reported results from 20 RC holes drilled at its flagship property Cerro Caliche in Sonora. Torex announced results from the 2020 infill drilling program at its Media Luna property in Guerrero. Zacatecas Silver reported results from the re-sampling of drill core from its Panuco property in Zacatecas. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Agnico announced the appointment of a new member to its Board of Directors (Pinos Alton mine, Chihuahua). Chesapeake announced the resignation of its Director (Metates property, Durango). GoGold presented results from its annual general meeting of shareholders (Los Ricos project, Jalisco). Inomin completed the 100% acquisition of the La Gitana and the Peña Blanca properties in Oaxaca from Gunpoint. Orogen appointed a new member to its Board of Directors (El Ermitaño, Sonora). Telson engaged RB Milestone Group LLC to provide corporate communications advisory, non-deal roadshow advisory, market intelligence advisory, and business referrals to the management team of the company (Tahuehueto project, Durango). ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, AIMMGM Sonora District Ladies Committee recycles to help children with cancer. Peñasquito mine (Newmont) awarded scholarships to students of the Ignacio López Rayón elementary school.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- Americas Gold and Silver Corporation announced that its Cosala mine in Sinaloa continue on care and maintenance after a group of individuals including a small minority of the company´s hourly workforce blocked illegally the operation since last February 2020. Americas has participated in a number of meetings and discussions with senior members of the Mexican federal government to regain access to the operations but the last comments made by the Mexican President on March 17, 2020 related to a possible cancelation of the mining concessions are concerning. The company is confident that there is no basis in the fact or in the law that would diminish the company´s property rights.”The company looks forward to continuing to work with the Canadian government, the Mexican Minister of Economy and the Minister of Foreign Affairs in providing the facts, providing solutions and resolving the issues to avoid an arbitration issue between Canada and Mexico. The company looks with optimism to getting our employees back on the job as soon as possible”.
- The head of the Tax Administration Service (SAT), Raquel Buenrostro, declared that Mining companies pay only 0.0002% of their income in taxes, however, Fernando Alanís, president of the Mexican Mining Chamber (Camimex), stated that mining in Mexico has higher taxes than those of its direct competitors. “Surely the SAT will have its figures, but what the figures tell us is that mining pays taxes and that it has a higher tax rate than any other economic activity in the country and that if a higher tax burden continues to be imposed, mining it will not be attractive in Mexico”. Raquel Buenrostro assured that in order not to raise taxes, the institution that she heads would review the form of payment in the mining sector. In this same theme, figures contained in a study by Price Waterhouse Coopers assure that in Mexico the tax burden for the mining sector is 51.3% of fiscal profit, which places it well above countries such as Canada, Chile, Peru and the United States, which have tax rates of 30 to 39%. In addition, as of this year, the possibility of deducting 50% of the payment of rights on concessions was removed, so the tax rate rose to 52.6%.
- Mexico’s rich mining industry has been the basis for the success of the automotive industry for more than 500 years. It was stated by Sergio Almazán, president of the Association of Engineers of Mines, Metallurgists and Geologists of Mexico (AIMMGM). For Francisco Quiroga, former Undersecretary of Mining of the Ministry of Economy, mining has allowed Mexico to extract iron to produce, along with carbon, steel, a key product for automotive manufacturing. Karen Flores, general director of the Mexican Mining Chamber (Camimex), agreed, highlighting that the mining sector contributes 8.3% to the industrial GDP and 2.5% to the national GDP. Mexican auto exports totaled USD $40,495M in 2020.
- Silver Tiger Metals Inc., reported results from two holes collared at its El Tigre project in Sonora. Hole ET-21-211 collared in the Sooy Vein encountered 0.11 g/t Au, 131 g/t Ag, 0.06% Cu, and 0.44% Pb (156 g/t AgEq) over 14m, including 0.24 g/t Au, 325 g/t Ag, 0.14% Cu, and 1.21% Pb (385 g/t AgEq) over 4.9m, including 0.67 g/t Au, 1,149 g/t Ag, 0.47% Cu, and 4.3% Pb (1,347 g/t AgEq) over 1.4m, while hole ET-21-213 intercepted 0.02 g/t Au, 246 g/t Ag, 0.29% Cu, 0.05% Pb, and 0.05% Zn (279 g/t AgEq) over 8.4m in the Sooy Vein, including 0.05 g/t Au, 1,260 g/t Ag, 1.41% Cu, 0.04% Pb, and 0.25% Zn (1,355 g/t AgEq), and encountered 0.22 g/t Au, 266 g/t Ag, 0.13% Cu, 0.21% Pb, and 0.14% Zn (304 g/t AgEq) over 7.6m in the Sooy Footwall Zone, including 0.12 g/t Au, 808 g/t Ag, 0.35% Cu, 0.45% Pb, and 0.26 % Zn (871 g/t AgEq) over 2.3m, including 0.17 g/t Au, 3,046 g/t Ag, 1.35 % Cu, 1.54% Pb, and 0.86% Zn (3,254 g/t AgEq) over 0.6m.
- Radius Gold Inc., drilled 4,386m in ten holes to complete the phase four drilling at its Amalia project in Chihuahua, through its JV partner Pan American Silver Corp. Results for holes AMDD20-22 to AMDD21-25 have been previously reported, with results for holes AMDD21-26 to 31 pending. “Geological teams are now conducting detailed mapping and sampling of the El Cuervo extensions and California vein system. New environmental permits have been submitted for drilling of these targets later this year”.
- Kootenay Silver Inc., commenced a 3,500m core drilling program at its Copalito project in Sinaloa, to test continuity and size in zones already identified in a previous drilling campaign, as well as to test other undrilled target areas in the property.
- Brigadier Gold Limited reported that it has rehabilitated, mapped and sampled over 29 newly discovered historic mine workings in the central part of its Picachos project in Sinaloa, near the intersection of the ENE trending Cocolmeca Vein system and northwesterly trending El Placer system. The underground workings are concentrated in two areas named El Cobre and El Placer Norte. Sampling results are pending.
- Mithril Resources Ltd., provided an update on the exploration activities carried out at its Copalquin property, Durango. Hole CDH-054, collared at La Soledad target returned 10.36 g/t Au and 81 g/t Ag over 4.88m, extending the high-grade mineralization further to the west and down dip. The company also reported that a total of 697 soil samples collected at Los Pinos/El Indio, Los Reyes, Refugio and Zaragoza target areas were analyzed with the XRF analyzer identified strong silver anomalies in the district, with values ranging from less than detection (approximately 2 ppm) to 154 ppm Ag. Samples were considered anomalous at or above 5 ppm Ag. Anomalous silver was identified in all targets. Silver is considered to be a good indicator for hidden veins or portions of known veins that are better mineralized. The soil samples were shipped to the lab for Au assays. Results are pending.
- Impact Silver Corp., reported the 2020 full year production and financial results from its Zacualpan mine in the State of Mexico. The company milled 140,069 tonnes of 172 g/t Ag to produced 646.5K Oz Ag, at a production cost of $80.82 per tonne produced. Impact reported a net income of $2.3M on $15.6 M in revenue and EBITDA of $2.5 M, and mine operating earnings before amortization and depletion of $3.3M. Cash position at December 31, 2020 was $20.4M and working capital of $20.3M.
- Empress Royalty Corp., closed its previously announced bought deal offering for gross proceeds of CAD $15.75M. In addition to the offering, the company closed a non-brokered private placement by the issue of an additional 1.3M units of the company for gross proceeds of CAD $650K (Pinos project, Zacatecas).
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp., commenced to trade on the OTCQB Venture Marketplace under the symbol “FBSGF” (Santa Maria property, Chihuahua).
- Gold Resource Corporation declared March 2021 monthly dividend. The company will paid on April 23, 2021, one-third of a cent for common share to shareholders (Arista mine, Oaxaca).
- Silver Spruce Resources Inc., granted 250K stock options to a consultant of the company with an exercise price of $0.06 per share and an expiry date of March 23, 2026. The stock options will vest 1/3 on the date of the grant, 1/3 on the first anniversary of the grant and the final 1/3 on the second anniversary of the grant (El Mezquite project, Sonora).
- VanGold Mining Corp., granted 6.45M stock options, including 3.45M options to officers and directors of the company. The options, which shall vest over a two-year period, are exercisable up to five years from the grant date and have a strike price of $0.51 (El Pinguico property, Guanajuato).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Fabled Silver Gold Corp., release assay results of hole SM 20-06 from its ongoing 8,000m drilling program on its Santa Maria project at Chihuahua. Hole 6 intersected six silver bearing structures including five new mineralized north-south trending structures. It encountered 0.06 g/t Au and 49 g/t Ag (53 g/t AgEq) over 0.4m; 0.15 g/t Au and 45 g/t Ag (53 g/t AgEq) over 5.4m; 0.15 g/t Au and 43 g/t Ag (48 g/t AgEq) over 5.3m; and 0.15 g/t Au and 37 g/t Ag (45 g/t AgEq) over 14.7m, including 0.19 g/t Au and 55 g/t Ag (65 g/t AgEq) over 3m, including 0.2 g/t Au and 79 g/t Ag (89 g/t AgEq) over 0.9m. Fabled has completed drill holes SM 20-07 – 09 for a total of 2,134 meters of the ongoing 8,000 meter drilled program completed to date. Holes SM20-07 – 09 have been sampled and submitted to lab for analysis. Hole SM 20-10 is in progress.
- Golden Minerals Company announced expansion drilling at its Rodeo project in Durango. The drill program will consist of 2,000m to test targets adjacent to the current pit with the aim to extend the life of the Rodeo mine well beyond the currently estimated life around 2.5 years.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd., released assay results from the current core drilling program from its Plomosas property in Sinaloa. The most significant drill interception was encountered in hole PL121-107 with a shallower intercept of 63 g/t Ag, 0.03 g/t Au, 0.1% Pb, and 0.1% Zn (73 g/t AgEq) over a true width (TW) of 12.9m, including 126 g/t Ag, 0.03 g/t Au, and 0.1% Zn (132 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 4.8m, and a deeper intercept of 377 g/t Ag, 0.23 g/t Au, 0.7% Pb, and 1.5% Zn (466 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 13.5m, including 633 g/t Ag, 0.2 g/t Au, 0.9% Pb, and 1.5% Zn (726 g7t AgEq) over a TW of 4.5m, including 1,987 g/t Ag, 0.58 g/t Au, 1.9% Pb, and 4% Zn (2,218 g/t AgEq) over a TW of 1m.
- Orla Mining Ltd., provided an update on the construction of its Camino Rojo mine operation in Zacatecas. Orla reported that 94% of the detailed engineering is competed and 93% of the project purchase orders have been made. “Current construction activities include earthworks, installation of the camp and offices, drilling of back-up water wells and site fence erection. Process pond and reclaim tunnel areas are being excavated and foundations are being prepared for the Merrill Crowe plant, crusher, camp, as well as ancillary buildings. The 33-kV power line to site was approved by the Mexican federal electricity commission in 2020 and construction is currently 73% complete. Fabrication of crushing, conveying, and stacking equipment and the Merrill Crowe plant remain on schedule. Process plant equipment began arriving on site in the fourth quarter of 2020. Deliveries thus far include crushing, stacking, conveying equipment and the Merrill Crowe plant as well as heap leach and solution ponds piping and liners”.
- Sonoro Gold Corp., reported results from 20 RC holes totalling 1,792m drilled at Buena Suerte and Japoneses zones within its flagship property Cerro Caliche in Sonora. Highlights from Buena Suerte area include hole SCR-201 with 0.74 g/t Au over 14m, including 2.09 g/t Au over 1.52m; hole SCR-203 with 0.71 g/t Au over 9m, including 2.04 g/t Au over 1.53m; hole SCR-205 with 0.59 g/t Au over 14m, including 1.53 g/t Au over 1.53m: hole SCR-207 with 0.62 g/t Au over 5m, including 1.3 g/t Au over 1.52m; hole SCR-209 with 0.77 g/t Au over 57m, including 1.79 g/t Au over 1.53m; hole SCR-211 with 4.77 g/t Au over 5m; and hole SCR-219 with 1.43 g/t Au over 16.76m, including 6.47 g/t Au over 1.52m. Highlights from Japoneses area include hole SCR-204 with 1.35 g/t Au over 10.67m, including 6.33 g/t Au over 1.53m; hole SCR-214 with 0.58 g/t Au over 18.29m, including 1.97 g/t Au over 1.52m; hole SCR-215 with 0.52 g/t Au over 12.2m, hole SCR-218 with 0.5 g/t Au over 22.86m, including 1.95 g/t Au over 1.52m; and hole SCR-220 with 0.53 g/t Au over 22.86m, including 1.84 g/t Au over 1.53m. “Spacing between the Buena Suerte and Japoneses zones has been reduced to approximately 100 meters in the northern extensions indicating the zones may merge with further infill drilling”.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc., announced results from the 2020 infill drilling program at its Media Luna property in Guerrero. Aim of the infill drilling program is to upgrade the inferred mineral resources to the indicated category. Highlights include hole ML20-407D with 6.16 g/t Au, 79 g/t Ag, and 3.58% Cu (12.73 g/t AuEq) over a true width (TW) of 13.66m; hole ML20-417D with 11.25 g/t Au, 12 g/t Ag, and 0.64% Cu (12.4 g/t AuEq) over a TW of 11.92M; hole ML20-418D with 5.45 g/t Au, 43 g/t Ag, and 2.48% Cu (9.84 g/t AuEq) over a TW of 22.47m; hole ML20-433D with 9.37 g/t Au, 190 g/t Ag, and 6.6% Cu (22.05 g/t AuEq) over a TW of 14.59m; hole ML20-443D with 9.88 g/t Au, 44 g/t Ag, and 1.72% Cu (13.11 g/t AuEq) over a TW of 13.68m; hole ML20-454D with 9.16 g/t Au, 9 g/t Ag, and 0.85% Cu (10.6 g/t AuEq) over a TW of 16.57m; hole ML20-458D with 5.9 g/t Au, 8.7 g/t Ag, and 0.7% Cu (7.11 g/t AuEq) over a TW of 25.47m; and hole ML20-492DA with 25.46 g/t Au, 36 g/t Ag, and 0.83% Cu (27.21 g/t AuEq) over a TW of 22.95m. The infill drilling conducted to date has increased drill density in specific areas of the resource model to an approximate 30-metre spacing (from an approximate 100-metre spacing). The final, upgraded Mineral resource estimate for Media Luna, due for completion in Q1 2022, is expected to provide for a more robust mine plan in the upcoming Feasibility Study.
- Zacatecas Silver Corp., reported results from the re-sampling of drill core from its Panuco property in Zacatecas being undertake with regards to the resource confirmation process. A 57 kg sample composite of historic Panuco drill core from one of the higher grade shoots has assayed higher than the grade described in the historic resource, with the sample returning assays of 198 g/t AgEq. (146 g/t Ag, 0.30 g/t Au, 0.13% Zn, and 0.42 % Pb). In addition, a 100Kg composite sample of drill core used in the Panuco resource estimation was sent to the lab for benchmark metallurgical work. Panuco has an historic inferred mineral resource of 19,472,901 Oz AgEq (cut-off 100 g/t AgEq.) from 3,954,729 tonnes at 153 g/t AgEq (136 g/t Ag, 0.14 g/t Au, 0.012% Pb, 0.11% Zn).
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Agnico Eagle Mines Limited announced the appointment of a new member to its Board of Directors (Pinos Altos mine, Chihuahua).
- Chesapeake Gold Corp., announced the resignation of its Director (Metates property, Durango).
- GoGold Resources Inc., presented results from its annual general meeting of shareholders (Los Ricos project, Jalisco).
- Inomin Mines Inc., completed the 100% acquisition of the La Gitana and the Peña Blanca properties in Oaxaca from Gunpoint Exploration Ltd, by exchanging 1M common shares of the Company, $25K cash, and the grant of a 1.5% NSR payable to Gunpoint on the Pena Blanca property (with an option for Inomin to purchase 0.5% of the NSR at any time for $1M). La Gitana is subject to an existing 3% NSR to a third-party which will be assumed by Inomin.
- Orogen Royalties Inc., appointed a new member to its Board of Directors (El Ermitaño, Sonora).
- Telson Mining Corporation engaged RB Milestone Group LLC for twelve months to provide corporate communications advisory, non-deal roadshow advisory, market intelligence advisory, and business referrals to the management team of the company (Tahuehueto project, Durango).
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- AIMMGM Sonora District Ladies Committee sent 790 kilos of plastic caps to the association “Banco de Tapitas”, so that the material is recycled and the proceeds are donated to minors suffering from cancer. Banco de Tapitas A.C. operates throughout Mexico on a non-profit basis, collecting plastic caps to recycle them and generate resources to fund treatments, transfers, medicine and comprehensive support mainly for children with cancer, although it extends its help to people up to 21 years of age.
- Peñasquito mine (Newmont) awarded scholarships to students of the Ignacio López Rayón elementary school. One of the most important achievements for this school, which has 23 students in the Regular Education Support Unit (three of them with a motor disability), is the construction of two functional ramps for those with this type of disability. One was installed at the entrance of the school and one more within the facilities, so that these students can move freely in their place of study and have autonomy in this space.
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the picture above, an outcropping Orogenic Au vein in a project in Sonora, Mexico. Photo by Miguel A Heredia.