By Jorge Cirett
During the 2nd week of the year (January 7th to January 13th, 2019), at least 26 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. ON MEXICO ISSUES, The government stressed the need to create a new legal framework to standardize the safety, health and protect workers and the environment. ON EXPLORATION, In Sonora, San Marco confirmed the presence of a porphyry copper system at El Espiritu; Silver Viper released unpublished historical drill results from its La Virginia property. In Chihuahua, Sable Resources summarized its 2018 program on Margarita, and 2019 drill plans for Margarita and Vinata projects; Kootenay reported new surface sample results from the Columba project. ON MINING, Consolidated Zinc, Great Panther, Endeavour Silver, New Gold, Torex Gold and Capstone presented Q4 2018 production results. Sierra Metals is increasing production at Bolivar, Chihuahua. US Antimony is completing its plant to process Los Juarez ore. ON FINANCING, Silver One, Gainey Capital and SilverCrest completed non-brokered private placements for gross proceeds of C$624 K, $750 K and C$292 K. respectively. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Oceanus informed on El Tigre, Sonora, 2018 exploration, and plans for 2019. SilverCrest released further high-grade in-fill drilling results from its Las Chispas property in Sonora. Excellon released high grade underground results from the 623 Manto at its Platosa mine in Durango. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Great Panther and Beadell Resources completed the friendly acquisition of the latter by Great Panther. Prize Mining trading was halted at the TSX Venture Exchange. Riverside outlined its 2019 business plan, which includes advancing properties, potential joint venture partnerships and strategic alliances. Americas Silver and Pershing Gold announced their shareholders approved its merger.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- The president of the Commission on Mining and Regional Development, Geovanna del Carmen Bañuelos de la Torre, said that it is necessary to create a new legal framework to standardize the safety, health and protect workers and the environment. She also recognized that the actual distribution of the Mining Fund lacks rigor on its application, and that a reform proposal has been formulated.
- Sable Resources Ltd. summarized its 2018 exploration program, including information from its projects in Mexico. During 2018’s second quarter Sable completed 2,420 m in 12 drill holes at the Margarita project in Chihuahua, testing epithermal veins in Eocene-Oligocene volcanic rocks. “The project is defined by 5 veins; Margarita, El Caido, Juliana, Faviana, and Marie. All exploration drilling by Sable up to this point was executed along 750 m strike of the Margarita Vein”. Results for the first round of drilling include close to surface high-grade intersections like: 252 g/t AgEq over 11.3 m; 462 g/t AgEq over 4.25 m and larger low-grade halos as: 36 g/t AgEq over 21.35 m and 50 g/t AgEq over 44 m. “A second round of drilling planned to start in mid-January includes 1360m in 9 holes to extend the drilling for 1.5km along the known surface trace of the Margarita vein and to close the drilling grid to approximately 250m space. In addition, 1750m will be drilled in 13 exploration holes that will test the other veins”. Sable received title for 12 mining concessions covering 38,396 ha in Chihuahua, all covering stream sediment and rock sample anomalous areas, including the drill ready Vinata vein system located NE of the Margarita project. The company also holds projects in Canada, Peru and Argentina.
- San Marco Resources Inc. confirmed the existence of a porphyry Cu-Mo-Au system at its Espiritu project in Sonora. The work done confirmed a multi-stage system with an alteration foot-print at least 2.5 Km x 1.2 Km and that the best Cu mineralization is surface and drill core samples is in rocks with potassic alteration and a quartz-chalcopyrite-pyrite stockwork. There are indications that copper mineralization might be preserved at depth within the shallower part of the porphyry system(s). Future work is expected to include magnetic and ZTEM surveys in advance of possible drilling at the project.
- Kottenay Silver Inc. reported that new assay results from outcropping quartz veins support the potential for the discovery of a high-grade silver deposit at its Columba project in Chihuahua. The veins have strike lengths of 200 m to 2 km, and thicknesses from 0.5 to 6 m. In the latest field campaign 50 channel and 90 grab samples were collected on eight of the ten veins in the property. “Highlights include 33 samples, between lengths of 0.70 and 2.0 meters, returning silver values ranging between 30 gpt to 397 gpt and 55 samples returning grades >10 gpt”. Contiguous channel samples averaged 4.9 m @ 198 gpt Ag; 3.5 m @ 276 gpt Ag; 2.2 m @ 330 gpt Ag; 6.6 m @ 182 gpt. The next steps are additional mapping and surface sampling to prioritize drill targets and obtain drill permits.
- Silver Viper Minerals Corp. released previously unreported significant drill intercepts from a historical database from La Virginia project in Sonora. The database was generated by Minefinders Corporation Ltd. and Pan American Silver Corp. up to 2013, and includes information on 52,635 m of drilling in 188 holes, with only the first 50 holes having been disclosed in press releases. The disclosed tables include significant intervals from seven areas, here some of these (true width estimated at 75-80% of core length): At Las Huatas, 18 m @ 2.81 gpt Au, 187 gpt Ag (including 1.5 m @ 3.50 gpt Au, 399 gpt Ag; 1.5 m @ 21.6 gpt Au, 1,173 gpt Ag); 0.6 m @ 11.54 gpt Au, 1,156 gpt Ag; 12 m @ 1.26 gpt Au, 109 gpt Ag; 1.5 m @ 6.52 gpt Au, 625 gpt Ag; 8.5 m @ 1.38 gpt Au, 105 gpt Ag (including 3.95 m @ Au, 2.07 gpt Au, 158 gpt Ag); 1.15 m @ 9.67 gpt Au, 658 gpt Ag; 17.5 m @ 0.72 gpt, 35 gpt Ag; 20.45 m @ 1.04 gpt, 69 gpt Ag; 0.9 m @ 54.79 gpt Au, 43 gpt Ag; 7 m @ 1.37 gpt Au, 65 gpt Ag; 7.55 m @ 1.56 gpt Au, 88 gpt Ag; 1.5 m @ 4.92 gpt Au, 421 gpt Ag; 12.9 m @ 2.44 gpt, 122 gpt Ag. At La Virginia, 1 m @ 3.27 gpt Au, 196 gpt Ag; 18 m @ 2.59 gpt Au, 119 gpt Ag (including 1.7 m @ 18.27 gpt Au, 794 gpt Ag); 8.5 m @ 0.87 gpt Au, 36 gpt Ag; 0.8 m @ nil Au, 300 gpt Ag; 19 m @ 0.65 gpt Au, 29 gpt Ag. At Con Virginia, 5.75 m @ 2.35 gpt Au, 153 gpt Ag; 11.7 m @ 0.62 gpt Au, 77 gpt Ag; 17.4 m @ 0.87 gpt Au, 81 gpt Ag; 2.05 m @ 6.73 gpt Au, 976 gpt Ag; 1.2 m @ 7.78 gpt Au, 1055 gpt Ag. At El Oriental, 2 m @ 2.47 gpt Au, 19 gpt Ag; 5 m @ 2.40 gpt Au, 60 gpt Ag; 3.8 m @ 11.99 gpt Au. 77 gpt Ag; At La Cascada, 1.3 m @ 20.92 gpt Au, 37 gpt Ag. At Huatas Sur, 2.8 m @ 1.05 gpt Au, 81 gpt Ag; 1.95 m @ 1.31 gpt Au, 29 gpt Ag; 3.75 m @ 9.32 gpt Au, 144 gpt Ag (including 1.55 m @ 19.97 gpt Au, 254 gpt Ag). At La Colonia, 0.85 m @ 3.04 gpt Au, 23 gpt Ag. Limited confirmation drilling was completed at the Las Huatas and Con Virginia prospects. These holes were drilled to test gaps in the known data. Previously undrilled prospects Huarache, La Gloria and El Rubi were also tested in 2018. To date, the Company has released results for the confirmation drilling at Las Huatas. Subsequent results and a discussion of the 2018 program and plans for 2019 are scheduled for release in the near future.
- Consolidated Zinc Ltd. provided an update on production at its Plomosas mine in Chihuahua for December 2018. During the period 4,072 tonnes were hauled to surface @ 10.2% Zn, 2.4% Pb. Recoveries at the Santa Eulalia plant have been 89% Zn, 86% Pb. All the ore mined was from an area outside of the JORC defined resource.
- Great Panther Silver Ltd. reported fourth quarter and 2018 production results for its properties in Mexico. During the year the company produced 1.86 M Oz Ag, 20,161 Oz Au, 1,958 tonnes Pb, 2,361 tonnes Zn from the two operations. At Topia, Durango, 18.9 K tonnes @ 326 gpt Ag, 0.83 gpt Au were processed during the quarter, recovering 92.9% Ag, and 53.4% Au to produce 183.7 K Oz Ag, 267 Oz Au, 474 tonnes Pb, 661 tonnes Zn. At the Guanajuato mine Complex 70.4 K tonnes @ 129 gpt Ag, 2.01 gpt Au were processed, recovering 87.2% Ag, 84.4% Au to produce 254.4 K Oz Ag, 3,833 Oz Au. Reflecting low metal prices, operations at the Guanajuato Mine Complex is shifting all production to the San Ignacio mine for 2019.
- United States Antimony Corp. reported the status of beneficiation of ore at Los Juarez, Queretaro, where 30 K tonnes have been mined. The crusher and flotation circuits at the Puerto Blanco mill (in Guanajuato) are ready for production, while the tailings installation is nearly complete. Most of the cyanide leach plant has been built and is being installed. The caustic leach plant at Madero to process the flotation concentrates is operational and has recovered the precious metals with close to a 100% recovery, and pilot production of Au, Ag and Sb is about to start in Q1 2019.
- Sierra Metals Inc. informed it is on track on its staged mine production increase from 3,000 to 3,600 tonnes per day (TPD) in Q1 2019 (and 5,000 TPD by 2020) at its Bolivar mine in Chihuahua. “Completion of the expansion included the installation of a refurbished mill, an electrical substation with 1250 KVA of capacity, a secondary crusher and a hydrocyclone cluster that allows for finer grind size optionality that is estimated to provide a 6% increase in copper recoveries from 80% to 86% at Bolivar Mine”.
Endeavour Silver Corp. reported consolidated production of 5.5 MOz Ag, 52,967 Oz Au (9.5 MOz AgEq) in the fourth quarter 2018. Drilliing at Bolañitos returned multiple high-grade intersections, including 1.1 m (TW) @ 1,415 gpt Ag, 2.25 gpt Au in the San Miguel mine. Parral drilling and underground sampling returned multiple high.grade intersections, including 4.2 m (TW) @ 934 gpt Ag, 0.21 gpt Au, 3.0% Pb, 5.9% Zn. El Compas commissioning has been delayed by metallurgical and plant issues that have been or are in the process of being corrected, while the mine development has been completed and and a 10K tonnes stockpile produced. At Guanaceví, the Milache and SCS orebodies development commenced. At Bolañitos, drilling outlined several mineralized areas and extensions to known areas, with potential to extend the mine life. At El Cubo, drilling of new targets failed to intersect any economic mineralization, and production is to be halved to increase mine life while more reserves are sought.
- New Gold Inc. presented fourth quarter results, including figures from the Cerro San Pedro property in San Luis Potosi. Mine closure activities continued at the Cerro San Pedro mine, and 1,448 Oz Au were recover by residual leaching of heap pads.
- Torex Gold Resources Inc. announced 354 K Oz Au were produced at its El Limon-Guajes mine in Guerrero.
- Capstone Mining Corp. released preliminary fourth quarter production results for 2018, including figures from its operations in Mexico. At Cozamin in Zacatecas, 278.8 K tonnes were processed at a rate of 3,030 tonnes per day (TPD) @ 1.61% Cu, 1.29% Zn, 0.41% Pb, 50.2 gpt Ag, recovering 94.3% Cu, 65.9% Zn, 58.5% Pb, 75.5% Ag to produce 9.36 M Lb Cu, 5.22 M Lb Zn, 3.15 M Lb Pb, 339.2 K Oz Ag, 68 Oz Au.
- Silver One Resources Inc. closed its previously announced private placement financing for gross proceeds of C$623.7 K. Silver One also commented it is not aware of any information other than that previously disclosed in its public filings, news releases or statements, which would result in the levels of trading activity and change in the share price recorded in recent days (Peñasco Quemado, Sonora; La Frazada, Nayarit).
- Gainey Capital Corp. received conditional approval by the TSX Venture Exchange to close the first tranche of its non-brokered private placement of up to $1.15 M announced on November 28, 2018. In this tranche the closing accrued gross proceeds of $750 K (El Colomo, Nayarit).
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. informed the completion its non-brokered private placement with Pierre Beaudoin, for gross proceeds of Cdn$292 K (Las Chispas, Sonora).
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Oceanus Resources Corp. informed that during 2018 carried a regional prospecting and mapping program on its El Tigre property in Sonora. The objective was to know the extent of El Tigre Formation, the rock package that hosts the historic El Tigre mine. Such formation was found to extend 5 km to the south reaching the Lluvia de Oro prospect, and 3 km further to the south at La Mancha workings. Prospecting and mapping was carried out also to the east, where several historical underground workings were located. Given the positive results, Oceanus applied for an additional 4,465 hectares, increasing its land position to 26,307 hectares. The company will continue prospecting, mapping and sampling during 2019 to establish drill targets.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. released further in-fill results from its Las Chispas property in Sonora. The 20 reported in-fill holes targeted the high-grade Area 51 zone, Babicanora Central zone and Babicanora Footwall and Hangingwall veins. On previous drilling (used for the past resource calculation) the Area 51 had an estimated average 2.7 m of true width (TW) @ 7.13 gpt, 614 gpt Ag (1,148 gpt AgEq); the weighted average of the 28 in-fill holes to date is 3.9 m (TW) @ 11.36 gpt Au, 1,064 gpt Ag (1,915 gpt AgEq). The latest results include the best drilling interception to date: 9.3 m @ 39.66 gpt Au, 3,361 gpt Ag (including 0.4 m @ 252 gpt Au, 9,740 gpt Ag; 0.9 m @ 92.7 gpt Au, 7,570 gpt Ag; 0.4 m @ 47.30 gpt Au, 7,790 gpt Ag).
- Excellon Resources Inc. announced results from underground exploration at the Platosa mine in Durango. The high-grade 623 Manto has been further defined with diamond drilling results, of which the next results were highlighted: 6.6 m @ 0.1 gpt Au, 704 gpt Ag, 5.8% Pb, 10.1% Zn (including 2.7 m @ 0.1 gpt Au, 1,669 gpt Ag, 13.2% Pb, 24.4% Zn); 4.9 m @ 2,802 gpt Ag, 12.% Pb, 5.4% Zn (including 2.8 m @ 4,789 gpt Ag, 20.4% Pb, 9.0% Zn; 3.7 m @ 775 gpt Ag; 7.3% Pb, 6.4% Zn; 4.2 m @ 150 gpt Ag, 0.1% Pb, 2.0% Zn. The Company continues to test priority targets within the north-south trending Platosa corridor while defining new targets at Jaboncillo, PDN, Saltillera North and South and San Gilberto. A 3D induced polarization program was completed at Jaboncillo and PDN in late 2018 in preparation for drilling programs on both targets in the coming months
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Great Panther Silver Ltd. filed its management information circular in respect of the friendly acquisition of Beadell Resources Ltd. Once the acquisition is completed, the company will have a diversified portfolio of producing mines in Mexico and Brazil, and an advanced stage development project in Peru, with additional near-term resource growth potential from Bradell’s in and near mine targets to add to the growth potential from Great Panther’s advanced stage Coricancha project in Peru (Topia, Durango).
- Prize Mining Corp. disclosed its failure to file its annual financial statements for the fiscal year ended August 31, 2018. As a result, the British Columbia Securities Commission issued a cease trade order on Jan 7, 2019 against the company and securities have been halted from trading on the TSX Venture Exchange. The company is working to finalize and file the needed documents and seek to have the cease trade order revoked. (Manto Negro, Coahuila).
- Riverside Resources Inc. outlined its corporate outlook for 2019. Highlighted in it the presence of exciting drill targets at Cecilia in Sonora and Peñoles in Durango, as well as the advancing of potential joint venture partnerships and strategic alliance discussions with major companies. Riverside expects to expand outside of Mexico, beyond its participation in Croesus Gold Corp. Partner-funded exploration is expected to commence at La Silla project in Sinaloa.
- Americas Silver Corp. and Pershing Gold Corp. announced their respective shareholders have provided the requisite approvals for their previously announced business combination (Cosala, Sinaloa).
Content like what you have just read can be seen at https://gambusinoprospector.com/ and at LinkedIn’s Mexico Mineral Exploration Group.
On the image below, quartz-sulfide sheeted veinlets with silicified halos in argillitized fragmental tuff on a project in Jalisco. Picture by Jorge Cirett.