TORONTO, ON — (Marketwired) — 08/10/17 — (Please note that all dollar amounts in this news release are expressed in U.S. dollars unless otherwise indicated. Refer to the Q2 2017 management’s discussion and analysis (“MD&A”) and financial statements for more information.)
Primero Mining Corp. (“Primero” or the “Company”) (TSX: P)(NYSE: PPP) today reported operating and financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2017, and provided an update on recent operating and corporate activities.
- Q2 2017 Production: Total production of 35,965 gold equivalent ounces1, comprised of 11,903 ounces of gold and 0.97 million ounces of silver from San Dimas, and 20,731 ounces of gold from Black Fox, 27% lower than the 49,499 gold equivalent ounces produced in Q2 2016. Consolidated Q2 2017 total cash costs2 were $852 per gold equivalent ounce, with consolidated all-in sustaining costs3 (“AISC”) of $1,262per gold ounce.
- San Dimas Phased Restart Underway: San Dimas produced 15,234 gold equivalent ounces (11,903 ounces of gold and 0.97 million ounces of silver) in Q2 2017. Production during the quarter was impacted by a strike related to the renegotiation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (“CBA”), with operations resuming on April 22, 2017. A phased restart of San Dimas operations has been initiated with overall performance in line with the restart plan during the quarter but slowing in recent weeks with continued labour disruption.
- Black Fox Outperforms on Higher Than Expected Underground Grade: Black Fox produced 20,731 ounces of gold in Q2 2017, compared to 15,172 ounces in Q2 2016. Underground mining was primarily focused on production from the Deep Central Zone, with underground gold grades averaging 7.09 g/t and a daily average mining rate of 747 tonnes per day (“TPD”) of high-grade ore. All-in sustaining costs of $827 per ounce in Q2 2017 were significantly lower than the $1,362 per ounce realized in Q2 2016. The mine generated positive cash flows during the second quarter of 2017, and remains on track to achieve 2017 production guidance of between 50,000 and 60,000 ounces of gold.
- Financial Results Impacted by Asset Impairments: The Company recognized a net loss of $300.4 million in Q2 2017 compared to a net loss of $19.4 million in Q2 2016. The net loss incurred in Q2 2017 includes a $285.0 million impairment of the Company’s assets. Adjusted net loss4was $2.9 million ($0.02 per share) for Q2 2017, compared to adjusted net loss of $3.5 million ($0.02 per share) for Q2 2016. Primero generated operating cash flow before working capital changes during Q2 2017 of $8.4 million ($0.04 per share).
- Strategic Review Update: Primero announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its Black Fox mine and complex in Timmins, Ontario for $35 million. The Company also continues to explore all alternatives to maximize stakeholder value related to its San Dimas mine in Mexico, including potential strategic investments, joint ventures, revision of the San Dimas Silver Purchase Agreement (“SPA”) and a potential divestiture. At this time, there can be no certainty that these discussions will result in a resolution acceptable to all stakeholders.