By Jorge Cirett
During the 21st week of the year (May 23rd to May 29th, 2022), at least 25 press releases were announced by companies working in Mexico. To note, six companies posted exploration advances on their properties, one released first quarter 2022 reports, one announced the commissioning commencement on its project, one updated on a merger, one on the significant ownership by one investor, one on the compliance to issue by-weekly reports until its management cease trade order is lifted, three released drilling results from their advanced projects and one commissioned a company to prepare a resource estimate for its property. ON MEXICO ISSUES, SEMARNAT, the Mexican environmental agency, voiced its support for anti-mining organizations in Morelos. A miner’s Union has taken legal steps to get back to previous profit-sharing schemes by mining companies. The president of Mexico expressed the likelihood of its government going to court to stop a company from mining limestone in Quintana Roo. ON EXPLORATION, in Sonora, Benjamin Hill Mining released results from drilling at its Sonora Gold property; Ranchero Gold updated on exploration at Santa Daniela; Silver Spruce Resources is preparing ground for drilling at Diamante; Tocavan Ventures released drill results from Pilar. In Nayarit, Sierra Madre Gold and Silver released results from drilling at La Tigra. In Veracruz, Azucar Minerals completed the first hole near the center of a large target at El Cobre. ON MINING, SilverCrest Metals announced the completion of construction of the processing plant at Las Chispas, in Sonora. Magna Gold presented its Q1 2022 operating and financial report. ON FINANCING, Sailfish Royalty received a lead order commitment in its path to create a silver exploration company starting with the Gavilanes project in Durango. Eric Sprott owns 26.2% of outstanding shares of Discovery Silver. Gatos Silver is providing a by-weekly default status report. ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT, Avino Silver & Gold Mines released drill results from the Oxide Tailings project at Avino, Durango. GR Silver released results from underground drilling at Plomosas, in Sinaloa. Sonoro Gold reported results from drilling at Cerro Caliche, in Sonora. Barksdale Resources engaged a company for the elaboration of the resource estimate at San Javier, in Sonora. ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES, Sierra Madre Gold and Silver signed an agreement with First Majestic to acquire La Guitarra, in Estado de Mexico. Bear Creek Mining has been placed on the default list by the British Columbia Securities Commission, on concerns regarding the credentials of consultants that signed a technical report on the Mercedes mine, in Sonora. Discovery Silver updated on activities at Cordero, in Chihuahua. ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, no relevant news.
ON MEXICO ISSUES
- SEMARNAT, the Mexican environmental agency, pointed that it backs those against mining projects in Morelos. This statement was done regarding Alamos Gold’s Esperanza project near Temixco, in the process of acquisition by Zacatecas Silver Corp.. The agency stressed that the Mexican government maintains its commitment to not authorize any new open pit development in the country, based on ideological ideas (No mention was done whatsoever about the project complying or not with the law).
- The Union “Sindicato Nacional Minero Metalúrgico FRENTE” informed on legal procedures taken by the organization to fight for the 10% of profits that previously were distributed among the workforce of mining companies in Mexico, same that were recently capped at three months of salary per worker.
- The president of Mexico, Andrés M. López Obrador, stated that Mexico will take Vulcan Materials, a company mining limestone in Quintana Roo, to court if necessary. The company has stated in the past that it has all the needed permits for its operations.
- Benjamin Hill Mining Corp. released results from diamond drilling at its Sonora Gold project in Sonora. A total of 34 holes were completed covering 5,800 m on seven targets in the 6,400 hectares property. Assays have been received for the first 20 holes. Highlighted intervals from the Sonora Copper area comprise 28.2 m @ 0.42% Cu (interval that includes 16 m @ 0.3 gpt Au; 3.5 m @ 26 gpt Ag; 1.44 m @ 2.99% Cu, 0.664 gpt Au, 103 gpt Ag) and 9.21 m @ 0.92% Cu (including 5.36 m @ 1.7% Cu, 1.95 gpt Au, 44 gpt Ag) in one hole; and 20.55 m @ 0.55% Cu (including 2 m @ 1.05% Cu, 0.379 gpt Au, 18 gpt Ag; 3.96 m @ 1.12%) in a second hole. Highlighted intervals from other areas comprise 1.2 m @ 0.43% Cu, 1.52 gpt Au; 0.90 m @ 0.14% Cu, 1.73 gpt Au; 0.60 m @ >10% Cu, 2.11 gpt Au, 52 gpt Ag).
- Sierra Madre Gold and Silver Ltd. announced results from the three first holes of its drilling program at La Tigra project, Nayarit. Highlighted core length intervals (interpreted as 90% of the core interval) comprise 9.0 m @ 0.46 gpt Au, 9 gpt Ag; 6.60 m @ 0.49 gpt Au, 6 gpt Ag; 5.10 m @ 2.21 gpt Au, 24 gpt Ag; 32.0 m @ 1.00 gpt Au, 4 gpt Ag (including 4.0 m @ 3.03 gpt Au and 4.45 m @ 2.72 gpt Au, 7 gpt Ag). An application was filed for a new 1,653 ha claim to the west of La Tigra, named Sabra.
- Ranchero Gold Corp. provided an update on exploration at its Santa Daniela concessions in Sonora. Machine-learning technology has been applied in the 2,220 hectares land package to identify 47 exploration targets, of which nine are high priority. Follow-up field visits are ongoing to Rincon, San Francisco and Yaqui Sur.
- Silver Spruce Resources Inc. is preparing access trails and pads for its incoming 2,000 m reverse circulation drilling campaign at its 1,057 hectares Diamante project in Sonora. The drilling company it to mobilize to site next week.
- Azucar Minerals Ltd. announced the completion of the first hole (1,280 m of depth) in a large lithocap target at El Cobre, in Veracurz. This area has been targeted for drilling based on a mineral vectoring study utilizing chlorite and epidote that indicates a fertile medium to large sized porphyry system, a coinciding deep IP geophysical anomaly, surface pyrophyllite, spectral mineral mapping and high crystallinity illite over the entire target. Drill hole results are pending. “The closest hole to this deep core IP anomaly, which did not test the anomaly, intersected intense quartz pyrite sericite (QSP) phyllic alteration which provides further support to this new target representing a possible porphyry centre”.
- Tocvan Ventures Corp. released diamond drill results from its Pilar property in Sonora. An infill hole in the Main zone intercepted a core-length interval of 108.6 m @ 0.8 gpt Au, 3 gpt Ag (including 31.9 m @ 2.4 gpt Au, 2 gpt Ag and 9.4 m @ 7.6 gpt Au, 5 gpt Ag). As part of the Phase III program, nine drill holes totaling 1,562 m have been completed.
- SilverCrest Metals Inc. announced that Ausenco Engineering Canada Inc. has completed the construction of the processing plant at Las Chispas in Sonora. The processing plant commissioning is now underway, and expected to reach commercial production in Q4, 2022.
- Magna Gold Corp. released operating and financial results for the first quarter of 2022. At San Francisco, in Sonora, 7.3 M tonnes were mined with a strip ratio of 6.7:1, processing 1.4 M tonnes to produce 11,874 Oz Au at cash cost $1,675 per Oz Au and AISC at $2,467 per Oz Au. The San Francisco deposit has measured and indicated resources of 99.7 M tonnes @ 0.446 gpt Au, containing 1,430 K OZ Au and inferred resources of 11.4 M tonnes @ 0.446 gpt Au, containing 171 K Oz Au.
- Sailfish Royalty Corp. has received a lead order commitment from Barnwell Investments LLC. in connection to the private placement contemplated as part of a combination transaction with Swordfish Silver. The proposed transaction includes a private placement of Swordfish shares for US$5 M. The goal of the proposed transaction is to create a silver focused exploration and development company, resulting in the transfer of Sailfish’s Gavilanes property in Durango.
- Ontario Ltd., a company Eric Sprott owns, announced the exercise of warrants on Discovery Silver Corp. for an aggregate consideration of $7 M. As a result of the warrant exercise Mr. Sprott owns 26.2% of the outstanding Shares on a non-diluted basis and approximately 27.3% on a partially diluted basis.
- Gatos Silver Inc. is providing a by-weekly default status report in accordance with National Policy 12-203 – Management Cease Trade Orders. “The Company believes that it will be able to file its annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2021, and its quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2022 in the second half of 2022. The Company is also evaluating the material weaknesses in its internal controls over financial reporting related to the mineral reserve reporting errors”.
ON RESOURCES AND DEVELOPMENT
- Avino Silver & Gold Mines Ltd. released results from 17 short holes drilled on its Oxide Tailings project at Avino, in Durango. “The 2022 drill program included 17 drill holes for a total of 209 metres of drilling”. The average of 90 m drilled on the sulphide zone of the tailings returned 0.34 gpt Au, 30 gpt Ag, whereas those from the oxide zone averaged 0.49 gpt Au, 41 gpt Ag on a total of 90 m.
- GR Silver Mining Ltd. announced results from underground infill drilling at the Plomosas Project in Sinaloa. Highlighted apparent width intervals comprise 2.9 m @ 190 gpt Ag, 0.1% Pb, 0.1% Zn; 14.0 m @ 146 gpt Ag; 6.5 m @ 1,458 gpt Ag, 0.2% Pb, 0.2% Zn.
- Sonoro Gold Corp. reported results from 10 holes completed at its Cerro Caliche project in Sonora. The highlighted core length results from the El Colorado and Buena Suerte zones comprise 21.34 m @ 0.557 gpt Au (including 3.04 m @ 1.52 gpt Au); 1.52 m @ 2.19 gpt Au; 7.62 m @ 0.72 gpt Au; 10.67 m @ 1.183 gpt Au; 4.57 m @ 1.09 gpt Au; 1.52 m @ 9.57 gpt Au; 28.95 m @ 1.021 gpt Au (including 3.05 m @ 2.706 gpt Au). Results from further seven drill holes at Las Abejas are pending.
- Barksdale Resources Corp. engaged Independent Mining Consultants Inc. (IMC) to prepare a resource estimate and NI 43-101 Technical Report for the Cerro Verde copper zone on the San Javier project in Sonora. Approximately 30,000 m of drilling data will be utilized in the process to create the report. The resource estimate is expected to be delivered to Barksdale within the next 30 days.
ON DEALS AND CORPORATE ISSUES
- Sierra Madre Gold and Silver Ltd. signed an arm’s length definitive agreement with First Majestic Silver Corp. to acquire the 39,714 hectare La Guitarra property in Estado de Mexico. La Guitarra is a past-producing underground mine with an on-site process facility that operated until 2018. Historical measured and indicated resources in the property amount to 7.45 M Oz AgEq and inferred resources to 10 M Oz AgEq. Sierra Madre will issue to First Majestic 69.06 M of its common shares, for an aggregate value of $35 M. Upon completion of the transaction First Majestic will become the largest shareholder of Sierra Madre.
- Bear Creek Mining Corp. has been placed on the default list by the British Columbia Securities Commission. This as a result of the BCSC’s concerns regarding the credentials of certain independent third-party consultants to act as qualified persons under National Instrument 43-101 in respect of certain chapters of the Aprill 22 technical report on the Mercede mine, in Sonora. “Bear Creek estimates that the Amended Mercedes Report will be filed within approximately 30 days”.
- Discovery Silver Corp.released its financial results for the first quarter 2022 and an update on activities. The Pre-Feasibility Study (PFS) work for the Cordero project in Chihuahua is to be delivered on the fourth quarter 2022, the metallurgical test work on sulfides is 60% complete, the reserve definition drilling is now complete, and the first of three open pit geotechnical drill holes is underway. More than 30,000 m of drilling are planned this year on resource expansion targets and the first ever drilling of five targets within 10 km of Cordero. Cash and cash equivalents by the end of the period was at $61.2 M
ON SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- No Relevant News.
On the image below: Sampling of quartz-barite vein in the Sonora Desert. Picture by Jorge Cirett.